Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 87: "Among the growing shadows."]

adsii1970

7 hours ago, obney kerman said:

Probably not. The EMP may reach the ground as well, and they may have dedicated bomber craft.

Well, that would maybe neutralize SAMs.  But flak?  You can put up huge amounts of very effective flak with nothing but muscles power and the Mk 1 Mod 0 Eyeball.  Of course, a bit of power helps with the bigger guns and fancier sights, not to mention even analog fire control computers, but lack of power won't stop the guns.  And if you have enough guns around the place, anything approaching at low altitude will be flying right down the barrel of one of them, zero deflection, so no fancy fire control needed, just tracers.

Plock 39, Y003 
"Thank you, Lieutenant. Sent it back..."

Chapter 53

XvrE6KC.png

Our last burn went well. We're now three hours from our next maneuver point. Based on the recommendation of Lieutenant Gilti and confirmation of her calculations by Commander Karloff, we ignored the recommended burn time Bobak recommended. Our new burn time will decrease our arrival into high Kerbin orbit by nearly a day. We still have more fuel remaining than Bobak's original estimates. Shortly after leaving orbit, we received a new data packet from Bobak. And just as the last one sent by Valentina, this one was considered classified and I could not share with my crew.

Shortly after the craft flown by Megy and Doodbas was downed by the alien craft, Bobak ordered a recovery team but because of the scramble of fighters from both the Island Air Field and the KSC, he didn't have enough qualified pilots to mount an air-based rescue. So he sent Sergeant Orvin and corporal Natalin in a ground explorer to retrieve them. According to the information Kuzzter had from tracking the encounter nearly thirty-five minutes before, they are around fifty kilometers to the west of the space center.

ecAYRTf.png

The data packet also indicated that as the second rotation of pilots began their increased air patrols, Gene asked Commander Froming to fly a low reconnaissance mission over the area where Megy and Doodbas went down. Gene, who had been ordered to New Kerbin City as the unidentified alien craft first appeared on radar, was now back in full command of the space center. Within minutes of Gene's orders, Froming took to the air.

ISXk4w5.png

rtvAwkl.png

wrTjmd4.png

Within what seemed to be seconds, Commander Froming was down the runway and pulling his Knat Mk 5 in a steep banking turn.

"Uh, Commander?" Kuzzter's voice could be heard over the sound recording of the data packet. "Gene said he wishes you would 'show a little restraint' in your enthusiasm to leave the KSC..."

"Roger, Kuzzter." Froming shot back. "Next time I go and look for Gene's butt, I'll remember that ---"

"That's not exactly what I said," Gene began. "Go find our missing flight crew, Commander. My statement was that I wish things would return back to normal ---"

And with that, laughter could be heard in the background of the flight operations center. Gene was right. Between the anomalies and the appearances of the unidentified alien craft, life has been anything other than normal. As Commander Froming passed the Western Summit Range, it was clear from the images that elements of the KDF had already been deployed around the space center.

2clR6wV.png

2ttCVbQ.png

"Gene, this is Froming," within the audio signal, the pinging of the Knat's radar tracking warning indicator could clearly be heard. "Tell these Kermen not to get too trigger happy ---"

"KSC Tracking, this is Platform Five," an unknown female Kerman voice came across the channel. "Confirm target is not hostile ---"

"Well, I am so relieved," Froming shot back. "So take your radar lock off ---"

"Negative, sir" the female Kerman voice returned. "We're using you and the other pilots to practice our tracking. After all, if you can't bring 'em down ---"

"Just make sure you don't 'practice' firing  missiles, too!" Froming's irritation could be heard.

jONfaiX.png

And then Gene became involved. "This is General Gene. Effective this morning, I received orders from the Triune Council pulling me out of retirement..." he began. "The radar drills will continue. We've got to be ready for whatever comes next ---"

"I understand, sir ---" Froming began. "They pulled you out of retirement? Can they do that?"

"Yes, they can." Gene sighed. "And yes, they did ---"

"Um, well," Froming began. "General Gene, sir, I am entering the fifteen kilometer zone. Reducing speed to 225 meters per second and altitude of 250 meters ---"

th6VHdw.png

And within minutes, the Knat covered the fifteen kilometer distance.

"Gene, I mean, General Gene," Froming began. "I've located transponder singals. I found them. Repeat --- I've found them! They are ok - they survived ejecting..."

"Did you see the ground explorer sent out?" Gene asked.

"Aye, sir," Froming replied. "It's still about twelve kilometers out. Requesting permission to resume normal air patrol ---"

"Commander, this is Tracking." Bobak's tired voice could be heard over the audio. "Gene's stepped out. But resume patrol; General has ordered you to use patrol cap seven ---"

"Roger, Tracking." Froming responded. "Patrol cap seven acknowledged." And with that, Froming's Knat again changed its altitude and course as he's always done.

gU3jVbR.png

idQ21RC.png

wObLjLg.png

aSto9P5.png

A patrol cap seven, one of the only three categories of patrols, is essentially a 'return to the KSC as soon as possible' order. It's nothing really out of the normal; of the last three patrols I did around the KSC, I was given a patrol cap seven order. I simply ended my patrol early, returned to the space center, and reported to Gene. 

3vWP5bK.png

"Captain," Gilti's voice came across my cabin's communications panel. "There's an incoming data file for you. Do you want me to direct it to your cabin?"

"Yes, please do." I replied. "go ahead and relay Commander Karloff that shift b will begin in ten minutes. Shift change will happen in three hours."

"Aye, sir..." she replied. "He says he'll comply."

HgMsLaZ.png

"Thank you. Kerny off." And with that, I'd have three hours to myself once I finished with the new data file that was downloading. The difference between a data file and a data packet is the type of data each contains. A data file is normally a text file or a collection of text files. A data packet normally  contains audio, video, and text files. This data file wasn't classified, but because it requires an authorization code, it is considered as personal in nature. Not knowing what to expect, I opened the file.

HHi4SCp.png

Wow, a personal message from Dr. Angelo! Apparently he's been reviewing our progress on this mission and has decided to redesign our landers! I think before I send him a reply, I want to share this with my crew. Rather than giving him just my observations and ideas, I think it would be more beneficial for him to get every bit of information we can about our needs when on the surface of Minmus and what we think we might need on Duna.

As I was closing out the data file, Gilti called me from the command deck. "Sir, you have a Priority 3 message coming in ---"

"Thank you, Lieutenant." The time I had hoped to use to get some sleep was now rapidly disappearing. "Send it back."

xyHit2u.png

"Captain," the familiar face of Commander Bob appeared on the monitor. "I hope I'm not disturbing you too much."

"No, Captain," I began. "This is most unusual. I wasn't expecting to hear from you ---"

"Yes, but as you know, I've been out of... contact for a while. Valentina should have told you about this call..." Bob began.

dL9yURD.png

"As you know," he began, "Gene thought the best way for me to get close to Jebediah was to appear to be taking his side ---"

"I understand, Captain." I really am not sure why I'm a part of the plan. "She told me to be expecting a call. But the commodore didn't say anything else. I'm not sure, but where do I fit in?"

"Jebediah has been monitoring all communications he can from the polar station," he began. "Luckily for us, he's no engineer or scientist. While he can figure out where the signals are heading to, he has no idea what is being sent."

"So he'd be able to figure out ---" I began.

"If I was communications with the space center, I could possibly be in touch with Gene. But if I call you ---"

"He doesn't think I'm part of his problem and I won't tell Gene." I finished.

"Exactly!" Bob continued to explain. "He only believes you took part in the whole delegates of five because you were ordered to do so. And he also doesn't consider you as being a threat ---.

nGTHzjc.png

RnuH6K3.png

"I understand, Captain..." I began. It did make sense.

"Gene and Dr. Edmund were right," he began. "Jebediah headed to the polar station. He knew the station had been abandoned six months ago. But he also knows it is the only location where one of those alien craft crashed."

"Yeah, I remember hearing about that ---" but I couldn't finish my sentence.

"I've been here for nine days, Kerny..." Bob's tone changed. "I've never seen Jebediah so... lost..."

"What do you mean by 'lost', Captain?" I asked.

"He's not himself," Began Bob. "Every day he gives me some new theory about what happened to Bill. He's convinced that if he's just able to get inside the alien craft, he will be able to find where they took him --- "

UApPjQk.png

WGY1ndv.png

hhZt9CV.png

"Kerny," Bob continued, "Every day we make the same trek... we climb into snow cat, we drive over to that...alien...craft --- which we still don't know how long it's been there --- and to be honest --- Kerny, I've got to go. Jebediah's coming back into the station; I can hear him in the airlock. Forward the information to Gene, Captain..." And with that, the communications channel closed.

Right now, according to the orders from Dr. Edmund, we are to proceed directly to the new station, Zebulan Kerman, now in orbit. From there, we will be returning to the space center. But since Bob has made it clear that Jebediah is monitoring communications so I don't want to risk contacting Gene before our next scheduled data packet transfer with the KSC. That will happen a few hours after our next maneuver node and I will relay the information from Bob then.

I still have another two and a half hours remaining before I take my shift on the command deck. Although my mind is full, I still must try to catch some sleep while I can.

Edited by adsii1970

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 9:41 PM, Angel-125 said:

And Bob is a spy! Loving the note too...

Also, will Kerny and crew be headed out to any asteroids and on to Duna after their mission? Or are their orders changed?

Well, right now, all of Kerny's crew, except for his chief engineer, are back on Kerbin. And here's some teaser images to help you along...

After some difficulties, Dr. Angelo decided the lower lab had to be jettisoned...

7g50zs3.png

And docking with the Orbital Platform Zebulan Kerman...

2qQS9sk.png

And who could it be meeting with the engineering team aboard the station?

ZCfjbVM.png

Edited by adsii1970

Moho 7, Y003 
"You did what?! Who's decision was that?!"

Chapter 54

It's been a day since our return to the space center and already our next mission is already being planned. Our orders required us to dock with the Orbital Platform Zebulan Kerman. Once we arrived there, Commander Karloff would assume operational command of the Excursion while the remainder of the crew and I would return to the center. We arrived in high Kerbin orbit on the fourth of Moho, only four full days after leaving the orbit of Minmus. Using the calculations given by Lieutenant Gilti, we were able to shave nearly a day and two hours off our return trip.

In my last entry, I had mentioned this would be a different return for us. The Excursion was not being placed in a parking orbit, but was going to dock with the orbiting platform. And the docking procedures did teach everyone something new - from my crew to Dr. Angelo and Dr. Haywood. And as usual, Gene was full of complaints and gripes about the few problems we encountered.

JZL2nln.png

"Orbital Platform Zebulan," Lieutenant Gilti began, "this is Excursion. Requesting permission to begin rendezvous procedures."

"Ah, Excursion," began the voice from the station. "You're over a day early. Please remain at current position and await further orders..."

This was my first time aboard a space station since before the anomaly. From what I remember from the briefings shortly after, the old space station simply disappeared from orbit. No debris, no emergency beacon, nothing remained. Luckily the evacuation from the station during the early stages of the anomaly actually allowed the crew to be on Kerbin's surface when the brunt of the anomaly hit. But based on what we've learned from Dr. Zarkov, although things appear to have returned to normal, we are still not out of the anomaly yet. I'm not sure what to think of his warning; Gene and Dr. Haywood seem to believe that he's wrong.

"Excursion, this is Docking Operations," a different voice from the station began. "Sending docking instructions in flash message. You may begin rendezvous procedures."

"Roger, Docking Operations," Commander Karloff responded. "Commencing rendezvous procedures..."

Turning to me, Karloff then replied, "Captain, we are ready to begin on your orders --"

"Take us in, Commander," I replied. "Take us home."

And with that command, my crew immediately began working to complete my order. Overlapping conversations about trajectories, fuel remaining, and even speed could be heard on the command deck. An occasional comment about Kerbite larvae delights, reuniting with family and friends, and other subjects could also be heard as we all began to look forward to our next six weeks on Kerbin. All of us except Commander Karloff. It had been decided by Dr. Wernher, Gene, and Dr. Haywood that he, being our ship's chief engineer, would remain on board for two weeks before he would return to the surface. But he'd also have the shortest surface time -- two weeks. Gene had decided that Commander Karloff, Lieutenant Gilti, and myself would return to the Excursion two weeks before the rest of the crew. He said we would need that time to familiarize ourselves with the modifications being made to our ship. Within twenty minutes, we were nearing the orbiting platform.

GOTHIdf.png

A yellow light, the proximity alert alarm, began to flash on Lieutenant Gilti's control panel. "Captain, we are within 5 kilometers of the orbital platform," she began.

"Yes, Lieutenant, -- " I began before the speaker on the communications panel came back to life.

"Excursion, this is Docking Control," the voice said. "Please activate the remote computer guidance system."

"Patch me through, Obion." I said. "Docking Control, this is Excursion. We've activated the remote guidance system --"

"We are now in control, Captain," the voice replied. "Enjoy the ride!" 

LNhDxXf.png

SHCfD1C.png

"Captain," began Karloff, "I don't want to question the higher-ups, but I don't think there's enough ---"

"Clearance between the station and our lower lab ---" interrupted Ensign Triy. "Sir, what are ---"

lotUoNw.png

"Excursion, ---" and about the time the voice came over the communications panel, the collision alarm began to sound throughout the ship. "Excursion," the voice continued, "we're going to back you off and change the ship's orientation. Please stand by..." and with that announcement, we could feel the Excursion begin to shift away from the station. 

yJVhlRF.png

toJCDxM.png

"Captain," Karloff began again. "This isn't going to work either. By my calculations and what I am seeing on the radar, we are still going to be ---"  And the collision alarm sounded for a second time. "Dammit. Captain, do you think Docking Control knows this?"

Before I could even answer, the communications panel came to life. "Excursion, we are terminating docking procedures. We are returning control to you ---"

"Docking Control, this is Captain Kerny," I began. "What's the plan now ---"

"Captain, we are waiting for Dr. Haywood's response now. Apparently, when your vessel was designed, the new designs for the Zebulan Kerman wasn't considered. Dr. Haywood advises you proceed to a parking orbit of 175 kilometers and await further orders. Docking Control out."

And with that, we began to proceed on our latest orders.

OWHOskL.png

P7XMQqr.png

For the next twenty minutes, we maintained the orbit we had been sent to by Dr. Haywood. "Captain," Triy began. "What did they mean by the Excursion being incompatible with the station? I thought ---"

"Ensign," Karloff began, "our umbilical docking port - the one which is designed to allow for docking with stations, was placed on the same side as our lower lab ---"

"And that's the problem, Ensign." I began. "The design means there's not a lot of clearance between the lower lab and the station..."

"Captain," this time it was Lieutenant Hildi. "We've received a flash message from Dr. Haywood. There's a CTV-1 dispatched from the orbital platform. Once it docks, you are to transfer control of the vessel to Commander Karloff. Once the transfer of command is complete, you and all of us, except for the Commander, will return to Kerbin aboard the CTV. The CTV is bringing two engineers, a Lieutenant Commander Orvin and a Chief Petty Officer Natalin. They will take the Excursion back to the station."

"Send a flash message back. Tell Dr. Haywood, 'understood.' and Obney, can you track the CTV?"

Within five minutes, the proximity indicator light began flashing on the panel. This time, it was the CTV. Docking with the CTV was much easier than our attempt at docking with the station. Within a few minutes after the proximity indicator went off, docking was complete.

7Cbq3bi.png

uJtpLqm.png

Once docking was complete, my crew began transferring a few of their personal items to the CTV. And while they were doing that, myself and Commander Karloff began the process of transferring the command of the ship.

"Sir, I'm not sure why we have to do this. I mean, I know that as the executive officer ---" Karloff began to protest.

"Commander, I'm not too sure either." I explained. "But this is they system that Commodore Valentina uses with the surface fleet. Dr. Haywood and Dr. Edmund believed the same protocols need to be used here, in space."

After twenty minutes, the transfer was complete. "Commander, I know I am leaving her in good hands," I said.

"And when you get back, sir," Karloff answered with a smile, "I've been told she'll be even better."

Within what seemed like a few seconds of our separating from the Excursion, Lieutenant Gilti had begun our de-orbit burn. We were heading home. Instead of landing near the KSC, Bobak decided to have us splash down in an area of the ocean where the Harvester Kerman was conducting salvage operations. The de-orbit burn and reentry went extremely well.

u45NTos.png

Uw4FhwN.png

XuwzMgo.png

dLqBx7T.png

And because of the attention she pays to detail, she put us down near the center of the designated drop zone. The center of the drop zone assured we would come down within one kilometer of the Harvester Kerman. Twenty minutes from splash-down, we could hear the sounds and feel the capsule move as the Harvester's crew pulled us aboard.

Oa95wg8.png

12A3Dtc.png

Gl7DQGk.png

BKCVvUC.png

We spent the next day on board, catching up on the latest news we hadn't seen while on our latest mission. Once we arrived at the western coast, we were transferred to a ground exploration vehicle for the remaining part of our journey to the KSC. Lieutenant Seanvan, the commander of the Harvester Kerman,  told us that there are rumors there will be a western settlement complete with a docking facility within the next two years. It would be nice. If there were, maybe they'd have a runway and allow transports to fly in and out - so we would not have had to spend nearly four hours crossing the continent by land.

We did learn that the prototype for the new shuttle being designed by Dr. Wernher and Harrison has undergone it's second test-launch. From what we were able  to find out from the crew of the Harvester, the test went extremely well - and was conducted just two days ago! It's a large craft and, if even half of what was said about it is true, it will be able to bring crew and supplies to any ship or station in orbit.

ZkvkqNB.png

AXTTHpt.png

d4sh8sq.png

Commander Seanvan even played for us the latest video broadcast of the launch. What was really nerve-wracking is the communications between the pilots and Kuzzter during the approach for landing.

/static/ "come to heading 09 /static/, do you copy /static/" From what we heard, we all knew it was Kuzzter's voice.

"Roger, /static/ but we're losing altitude faster than your calculations /static/ altitude now under 900 meters," the voice from the shuttle replied.

"Understood, use secondary protocol site," instructed Kuzzter. "Gene says go ahead."

"Roger, tracking, will use secondary protocol site," the voice again replied.

And with that, we watched the shuttle land on the flats near the space center.

HxFEjTu.png

J1WaQku.png

By the time we arrived at the space center yesterday afternoon, Gene and Dr. Haywood were ready for our latest briefing. We learned that the shuttle test had been considered a success and the next test mission, in two weeks, would be testing it's ability to achieve orbit and return to the space center. Already there is considerable discussions on how the new shuttle program will impact operations at the space center.

We also learned our next mission would last a total of one hundred and twenty days - three months in space! If it goes as planned, we will be spending more time in space in our next mission than any other mission! We haven't been told our destination yet, but Gene and Dr. Haywood has assured us that we will be getting more information about our next mission as our launch date nears.

This morning, I received a voice transmission from Karloff. There was a certain tone in his voice.

"Captain, I just wanted you to know everything's ok..." he began.

"Did you get the Excursion to dock with the station?" I asked.

"You haven't heard yet?" he replied sheepishly.

"Heard what--" I began.

"Well, once the CTV began the reentry procedures, I received a request from Dr. Angelo to detach the lower lab. Sir, I didn't even think it was designed to be jettisoned!"

"Wait?! "You did what?! Who's decision was that?!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Captain, this is how it happened," Karloff began. And he began to tell about the most recent developments in his latest adventure --- and in my ship!"

0QcjGyU.png

"Commander," Lieutenant Commander Orvin began. "Dr. Angelo has said the lower lab is obsolete anyway! Docking operations has said that if the lab remains the ship will not be able to dock in the orientation needed. After all, one of the reasons the Zebulan Kerman was established was to be able to refit our vessels while in orbit!"

"I understand that, Commander," Karloff began. "But nothing I saw said this vessel was going to be torn apart! Besides what will Captain Kerny say ---"

"Actually, sir," Orvin began, "You're in command of the Excursion right now, not Captain Kerny---"

"Temporary command. He will want his ship back ---" Karloff explained.

"And he'll have her, but we need to do this so we can begin the refit. Otherwise, the refit won't meet the deadlines ---" Orvin explained. "The Excursion has to be back out in six weeks ---"

"I still don't know about this..." Karloff continued his objections. "Are you sure it is that easy to detach the lower lab?"

"Yes, sir." Chief Petty Officer Natalin began. "This ship design actually makes it really easy. It was designed so that if the lab became contaminated or damaged, it could be jettisoned to save the rest of the ship. In this case, we'll ---"

"Jettison the lab so it can dock," Karloff finished. "I didn't know this was a part of the design and I'm the chief engineer!"

"Which is one of the reasons that Dr. Angelo demanded you be here to oversee the refit." Commander Orvin added. "And the sooner we detach the lab, the sooner we can get started."

And with that, Commander Karloff gave his approval, as the captain of the Excursion, to jettison the lower lab.

slAkvo8.png

7g50zs3.png

AjpmZqN.png

"Commander, we are free from the lower lab. All indicator lights show the docking port is holding." Natalin reported.

"Ok, Commander Orvin, what's next?" Karloff asked.

"We go back and dock with the Zebulan Kerman, sir!" Commander Orvin answered.

"Then, make it so." Karloff ordered. And the voyage back to the Zebulan Kerman began.

Jj3F5BS.png

And minutes later, the Excursion was back in position and ready to attempt to dock with the station for a third time.

"Excursion, this is Docking Control," the voice said. "Please activate the remote computer guidance system. We shouldn't have any problems with the lower lab now out of the way."

"Patch me through, Petty Officer Natalin," Karloff said. "Docking Control, this is Excursion. We've activated the remote guidance system --"

"We are now in control, Commander Karloff," the voice replied. "The station commander sends her regards."  And with that, the docking procedures went perfectly and according to plan.

93yUjta.png

Eow9JEJ.png

zwP5BPO.png

2qQS9sk.png

8f3hsB4.png

"So Captain, don't get too mad," Karloff continued. "They were right. Once the lower lab was out of the way, docking went perfectly. The refit will begin around 2 hours after dawn, KSC time tomorrow."

"I see," I responded. "Thank you for the update, Commander."

"Yes, sir," he added. "I've got a briefing I need to go to with the station's chief engineer. But I'll keep you posted. Karloff out."

And with that, the audio channel closed. The lower lab was now gone and we never even had a chance to use it! I wonder what else they will change about my ship during this refit. One thing is for certain, if this is a indication of the changes to come, it is no small wonder why Gene and Dr. Haywood have stated Lieutenant Gilti and myself will join Karloff back on the Excursion two weeks before our departure date.

HJI4VxL.png

During this morning's briefing, we were told that Dr. Angelo had his own version of a shuttle ready for a test flight. While cleaning out an old abandoned room in the VAB, he found some discarded plans for a passenger shuttle.* After a few computer model tests, he began construction on the old design. Today was scheduled to be a test flight. But what wasn't disclosed were the complete plans for this flight.

Bejbg8n.png

I watched as the shuttle left the pad and began it's roll. But instead of rolling towards the ocean, this flight path rolled to the west south west. Although it was listed as a test flight, this was no test flight. Later, at the space center evening briefing, we learned the flight had been listed as a training flight to dissuade interest by J. Jim from trying to assert himself into the launch.

Y9j2NxD.png

4jUN6OR.png

Gene and Dr. Haywood were concerned if J. Jim learned that Dr. Angelo were on his way to the Zebulan Kerman, he'd surely figure out a way to get on the shuttle. To avoid being recognized on his way to the VAB, Dr. Angelo even shaved his beard. I also learned that Dr. Angelo will be personally overseeing the refit of the Excursion. I've been told that he has been given new mission requirements and that the ship's completed refit must be able to satisfactorily meet each of those requirements and within the six week time frame.

After only about thirty minutes in space, the shuttle carrying Dr. Angelo was already preparing to dock with the space station. But unlike our first attempt aboard the Excursion, docking went exactly the way it was supposed to. We watched on the space center tracking monitor as the shuttle and station came together in the vast emptiness of space.

4Vzg3wX.png

BgJKHIB.png

ZCfjbVM.png

And on the big screen, for the first time since my arrival back on the surface of Kerbin,  I watched not only a new type of spacecraft make history, but I had the opportunity to see the true size of my ship compared to the Zebulan Kerman.

Tomorrow's agenda is nearly almost full. Gene has me attending briefings for about two hours, then I fly over to the Island Air Station to meet with trainees interested in serving in the space program. After that, Gene wants me to spend some time brushing up on my piloting skills. My final 'official' task is a meeting at New Kerbin City with Dr. Edmund, Dr. Haywood, Gene, and Prime Consul Katrine.

It's late and tomorrow morning will come pretty early. I think I'm finished for the evening.

Edited by adsii1970

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Gene and Dr. Haywood were concerned if J. Jim learned that Dr. Angelo were on his way to the Zebulan Kerman, he'd surely figure out a way to get on the shuttle. to avoid being recognized on his way to the VAB, Dr. Angelo even shaved his beard.

What? Doesn't anyone trust me???  lmao.... :rolleyes:

In space, no one can hear you drop a lab. But, they can definitely see it..

I wonder if Wernher knew that the passenger shuttle test was going all the way to orbit? If not, he's probably fuming about now that he got showed up...

The views are really spectacular! I liked seeing how the ship approached and finally docked with the station.

And I have a feeling Angelo might keep the look. :)

Angelo's got some crazy stuff.  I'm sure Kerney will come to appreciate his ship's enhancements come the day.

Kerney should look on the bright side.  As I understand things, today's top-end submarines get cut in half or more pieces during major refits, on a routine basis :) 

24 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

Kerny is probably trying his hardest not to get angry right now...

Quite right... He has been told his ship will be refitted. And to him, that means minor tweaks. But now, they've dropped the lower lab - and no one told him until after it happened! And think on this one - Dr. Angelo is personally overseeing the refit. And the refit is so extensive that the command crew - Kerny, Karloff, and Gilti will have to report back two weeks before the rest of the crew!

53 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder if Wernher knew that the passenger shuttle test was going all the way to orbit? If not, he's probably fuming about now that he got showed up...

Oh, that whole thing has already been planned out... :D And no, he was not aware. I almost added it to the last chapter, but because it was so long already, I'll give you a sneak peek into my twisted mind. He will begin to look in to what is going on... and he is very mad... but then something will happen... :sealed: Remember, Dr. Wernher sees himself and Dr. Angelo as being rivals even though they are supposed to be working together. Both have their own distinct vision for space craft and both have their own pet projects, for now. Think of it this way, I see it as the rivalry between the Apollo engineers and the engineers that came in with the Shuttle program at NASA. I read a book a while back that said the ten year transition was rough...

56 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The views are really spectacular! I liked seeing how the ship approached and finally docked with the station.

Thank you. I had thought about discarding all the shots before the lab was dropped, but really liked some of them so much I couldn't. So, forgive me for all the gratuitous space station shots! One thing it does is show you the size of the Zebulan Kerman - because the Excursion looks pretty big until you see her next to the station.

10 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Angelo's got some crazy stuff.  I'm sure Kerney will come to appreciate his ship's enhancements come the day.

Kerney should look on the bright side.  As I understand things, today's top-end submarines get cut in half or more pieces during major refits, on a routine basis :) 

Dr. Angelo does have some crazy stuff. And what's more crazy will be the amount of changes he tries to squeeze into the Excursion! In reality, I've based his character with what I know about @Angel-125 and his love for modding (and his ability to meet any challenge I've thrown at him). And what parts of the personality I do not know, I am filling in with some folks I've known who have a genuine love for discovery (Dr. James McCorkle, my advisor from Northwestern State) or who there's enough known about them to make some judgment calls (Carl Sagan and Issac Asimov). So, in a matter of speaking, if Dr. Angelo can see the vision of how things are supposed to work, he can normally tinker and piddle until it works the way he thought it would.

Oh, and don't worry - the Excursion is about to undergo a major refit - which is why Dr. Angelo has convinced everyone he needs to oversee it. And yes,  submarines do get cut into pieces during the refitting process. But keep in mind, perfection is demanded when it comes to that kind of engineering, lest you end up with this. And I think that there will be a lot of concern from Kerny over this. He doesn't mind taking risks when it is more than his life involved.

15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

So, in a matter of speaking, if Dr. Angelo can see the vision of how things are supposed to work, he can normally tinker and piddle until it works the way he thought it would.

I have the same high opinion of "Dr. Angelo"'s work.  Even when he chooses to smash it to bits with his other efforts :wink:

15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But keep in mind, perfection is demanded when it comes to that kind of engineering, lest you end up with this.

Yes, that's quite a sad story.  I drink to their shades.  Funny thing is, the 1st (out of 3) war I almost went to but didn't at the last minute was the Falklands.  Glad I didn't.  I have a number of Argentine friends, several of whom would have been on the wrong end of my weapons.  So this recent tragedy reminds me of those times.

Edited by Geschosskopf

1 minute ago, insert_name said:

well you did make angelo afraid of flying somehow, and we don't want to deal with that if he is in command of an orbital station

Not flying in general... just flying in older cargo planes that he didn't build himself.... hehehe  :0.0:

RiTIN77.png

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Dr. Angelo does have some crazy stuff. And what's more crazy will be the amount of changes he tries to squeeze into the Excursion! In reality, I've based his character with what I know about @Angel-125 and his love for modding (and his ability to meet any challenge I've thrown at him). And what parts of the personality I do not know, I am filling in with some folks I've known who have a genuine love for discovery (Dr. James McCorkle, my advisor from Northwestern State) or who there's enough known about them to make some judgment calls (Carl Sagan and Issac Asimov). So, in a matter of speaking, if Dr. Angelo can see the vision of how things are supposed to work, he can normally tinker and piddle until it works the way he thought it would.

Oh, and don't worry - the Excursion is about to undergo a major refit - which is why Dr. Angelo has convinced everyone he needs to oversee it. And yes,  submarines do get cut into pieces during the refitting process. But keep in mind, perfection is demanded when it comes to that kind of engineering, lest you end up with this. And I think that there will be a lot of concern from Kerny over this. He doesn't mind taking risks when it is more than his life involved.

If your Dr. Angelo is anything like me, he'll also be relentlessly single-minded of his pursuits until they're done. He may even feel like a fraud at times as he puzzles out how to make something work- that just spurs me on to figure things out that look like they can't be figured out. There was a reason they gave me the hard stuff at my previous jobs- they knew I'd unravel the knot. I also take inspiration from a good friend of mine who is retired Special Forces: If I have to become an expert on something pronto, I will- just remind me to do things like eat, drink, and sleep, or I might get so engrossed that I forget, then wonder why I'm so tired when I take a break. He might be somebody that is in charge but only reluctantly in order to get the project where it needs to be- I work for a living... :wink: And my guess is that if there wasn't some challenge that needed solved, he'd get pretty bored. :)

Edited by Angel-125

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

P.S. Cooking is just another form of engineering- but without the need for perfection. :)

Unless you are baking. Perfection makes a difference when you are baking.

also, loving these last reports. I can't wait to read what kerny thinks of the refit!

15 minutes ago, Thedrelle said:

Unless you are baking. Perfection makes a difference when you are baking.

also, loving these last reports. I can't wait to read what kerny thinks of the refit!

Yes, perfection must happen when baking (or any other type of cooking is involved).

Oh, if he's upset about losing the lower lab, just wait to you see the progress of the refit... :D 

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

P.S. Cooking is just another form of engineering- but without the need for perfection. :)

Under-cooked quiche is inedible. Baking demands perfection.

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

If your Dr. Angelo is anything like me, he'll also be relentlessly single-minded of his pursuits until they're done. He may even feel like a fraud at times as he puzzles out how to make something work- that just spurs me on to figure things out that look like they can't be figured out. There was a reason they gave me the hard stuff at my previous jobs- they knew I'd unravel the knot. I also take inspiration from a good friend of mine who is retired Special Forces: If I have to become an expert on something pronto, I will- just remind me to do things like eat, drink, and sleep, or I might get so engrossed that I forget, then wonder why I'm so tired when I take a break. He might be somebody that is in charge but only reluctantly in order to get the project where it needs to be- I work for a living... :wink: And my guess is that if there wasn't some challenge that needed solved, he'd get pretty bored. :)

Yes, he is single-minded; this is why he has taken it upon himself to personally oversee the refit. He doesn't take failure well and when he is sure he has the solution, he actually has a tendency to ignore input from others. Oh, and he likes a challenge and being told something won't work. Trying to find a way to make it work will then become the goal.

In all fairness, the shuttle used in the last chapter is stock and from 1.3 (came with the update), so he "discovered" the plans, oversaw it's construction, and flew the craft.

23 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

In all fairness, the shuttle used in the last chapter is stock and from 1.3 (came with the update), so he "discovered" the plans, oversaw it's construction, and flew the craft.

I love this. good use of storytelling!

• 3 weeks later...

Moho 9, Y003 
"When it rains it really rains!"

Chapter 55

In about another hour, I will attend a meeting with Dr. Edmund, Dr. Haywood, Prime Consul Katrina, and three other members of the Grand Committee. Earlier this morning, I was able to spend a few minutes in a video conference with Commodore Valentina. She assured me that although she's never had a conference with that many of the members of the upper level of the Grand Committee at one time, she's sure I don't have anything to worry about. She said my most recent mission reports were released by Gene earlier this afternoon. There was nothing in them which would indicate anything bad that would demand Grand Committee action against myself or my crew. 

She did say that when she was given command of the UKRN Sinaan, she had to appear before a few select members of the Grand Committee, namely Prime Consul Katrina, Dr. Edmund, and of course, Gene. But since then, there's been a lot happen on Kerbin, specifically Gene's now out of retirement and is, because of his rank of General, a non-voting and advisory member of the Triune Committe which oversees Kerbin's defenses.

Last night, after finishing one of our many mission de-briefings, I had the opportunity to talk to Karloff. It seems he spent most of the day going over the plans with Dr. Angelo, discussing our recommendations on the changes needed on the Excursion. He did say that at one point, Dr. Angelo looked at him, laughed, and said, "I dare say, old boy, that by the time we're finished with this refit, the only things your crew will recognize will be the docking ports!"

2ibo1Np.png

Karloff did say that earlier that afternoon, he had performed a space walk, visually inspecting the craft from damage from those small space rocks we encountered on the way back from Minmus. He said that he was outside the Excursion for about half an hour before being joined by Dr. Angelo.

Yesterday afternoon, it was announced that the Grand Committee approved the addition of a third year of training at the recommendation of Major Obney - and they called him a commandant! What by the gods does that mean? Anyhow, at the beginning of the third year, the cadet will get to wear the regular suit which we wear - complete with the arm stripes indicating their primary specialty area. The last four months of their training will be conducted in the field - thanks in part to our experiences of Ensign Triy. The first year students will wear a blue suit and second year students will wear a color-coded suit that indicates their training status: green for scientist, red for engineers, and yellow for pilots. Major Obney's request to put trainee pilots in solid orange suits was seen as a near insult to the previous generation of Kerbalnauts who aspired to wear the "veteran orange" suit.

Earlier this morning, shortly after the dawn-time feasting and morning briefing, I headed over towards the Island Air Field. The training academy is a lot different than when I began it nearly three years ago. Once Major Obney was placed in command of the training academy, he instituted even more changes, many didn't require the approval beyond the Triune Committee. And part of the reason I was heading over to the Island Air Field was to give the chance for some of the new cadets to achieve one of the new requirements.

rGhXQ3d.png

LqedepR.png

hoR2OCy.png

h25y1Pm.png

The flight over was uneventful. By the time I was climbing out of the craft, one of the ground maintenance crews had already begun the refueling process to top off the tanks. According to my wrist chronometer, I still had twenty minutes before the presentation began.

"Captain Kerny," the young engineer called out. "I never imagined I'd be refueling your craft this morning!"

"Well, I'm still a pilot," I began. "And who are you?"

"Oh, excuse me, sir," the engineer began. "I'm Sergeant Jebbob and over there, near the fuel truck, is Private First Class Kritri."

"Are you going through the academy?" I asked. I'm really not too sure about this new part of the Kerbin Defense Forces. Apparently, these ranks are a part of the enlisted program and are for Kermen who do not want to make their service into a career.

"No, sir," the female -- Private First Class Kritri began. "I'm only planning to serve for a few years, maybe ten at the most!"

After a bit more conversation, I headed towards the buildings when I was stopped by Dr. Zarkov.

OVkkIHa.png

"Captain," he began. "So nice to finally meet you in person."

"Yes, sir," I replied. "I wish I had longer to talk --"

"Major Obney is already waiting for you," Dr. Zarkov interrupted. "He's running a pretty tight schedule. Maybe we need him to become the chancellor of the University of Kerbin! He could do a lot better than who we have now..."

"And who would that be, sir?" I asked. For some reason I couldn't remember who the current chancellor was.

"That would be me, Captain!" he added. He escorted me to the door, laughing to himself as we went.

When I stepped inside the training hall, I noticed a few first year cadets and a few wearing white suits. Major Obney was talking with a few of the cadets at the far side of the room. The hall was not at all what I had expected - but then again, all of this was completely new. The training for my class was conducted at the space center and most of the classes were held in the Kerbalnaut complex. Now, with the repeated appearance of the unidentified alien craft, the demands of the space program and space corps, and the various surface survey expeditions, the program had to be expanded.

Major Obney noticed me and shouted, "All up!" From the first day of our initial training, every cadet learns the meaning of that word. It means stand up, arms at your side, and eyes straight forward. It also means to quit talking. "This morning, we've asked Captain Kerny to come and talk to you about the space corps -- Cadet, you do know what 'All Up!" means, right?"

"Yes, Sir," the unidentified Kerman answered. "I was --"

"I don't care!" Obney interrupted. "Unless you are volunteering to clean the relief rooms at the VAB, I suggest you pay attention!" Believe me, no one wanted to use the relief rooms at the VAB, much less, clean them!

"Anyhow," Obney continued, " Captain Kerny has agreed to give a presentation about his latest mission, the requirements and rigor of space flight. And if there is any time available after he finishes, he might take a few questions." And with that, he waved to me, indicating he was finished with his introduction.

DmS6Hm8.png

CYrRIQz.png

For the next twenty minutes, I shared with this group of cadets what I had experienced during training and how it compared to what I actually experienced while in space on various missions.

Halfway through my presentation, Gene -- I mean General Gene -- came into the training hall. "All Up!" one of the cadets shouted. And immediately, we all stood, waiting for the command to resume our activities. Apparently the rumors about Major Obion's attempts to bring more discipline to the training academy were true.

"Be at ease," General Gene replied. He worked his way to the back row of the lecture room and sat down. "Captain Kerny, please continue."

I continued my presentation and explained that the simulator training was absolutely valuable but no replacement for actually being in space. For the rest of the presentation, I discussed the challenges of working in a weightless environment, the importance of respecting the privacy of crew mates, and the benefits of the new field experience being added to the training program.

"Captain," Major Obney began, "I'm sure these cadets have some questions they'd like to ask."

"Yes, Major," I began. "I'd be happy to answer them." Actually, I didn't feel like answering any questions. I just felt like getting out of there as quick as possible.

"Cadets," Major Obney said, "when you ask your question, be sure to introduce yourself, your class, and clearly ask your question. Am I understood?"

The entire assembly of cadets joined in unison, "Yes, sir!"

"Ok, then." Major Obney responded. "Cadet," pointing to one of the blue suits, "why don't you ask yours first?"

The terrified cadet stood up, "Sir, I'm first year cadet Janigh Kerman. What was the hardest part, the hardest thing about any of your missions?"

"To be honest," I began, "the hardest part is being so far away when things happen here. We hear what's going on, but there's really nothing we can do."

"That's a good answer, Captain." Gene began. "And the further you are away from Kerbin, the more that sort of isolation will become obvious..."

PH2lMeX.png

And then it happened. There are moments which you know you've just witnessed something that will become more than what it was. And it was a young cadet named Derzer who did it.

"Captain," the young male cadet began. "I'm first year cadet Derzer. What's it like to fart in no gravity?" A few snickers and giggles could be heard over the ventilation system. "Sir, ever since I've heard the rumors of Petty Officer Aldas being reassigned after a mission with you and Commander Karloff --" And with that, the entire room, except for Gene, myself, and Obney, erupted in uncontrollable laughter. I wanted to laugh, too, remembering all too well the reaction that Aldas had to one of the food packs in that mission that seemed so long ago. As I recall, not only did he have problems with air-bloating, but he developed a purple rash. But that's not why he was reassigned --

"That's it, dammit! Derzer!" Major Obney shouted. "All Up! Line up!" and with that, he marched every cadet out of the room, yelling the entire time. Only Gene and I remained in the training hall.

"Well," began Gene. "It seems that Derzer knows how to set Obney off." It was obvious that Gene was trying hard not to burst out in laughter. "He will have them running around the old hangars for at least four circles this time."

"I don't think it was ever this strict when I went through," I still don't know how to respond to Gene -- I mean General Gene. "It seemed more laid back than this."

"Yes," Gene replied, "but that's before those aliens appeared."

"General, earlier this morning," I began to ask, "I noticed that the Aakabs here have this bright yell --"

W4YS695.png

"Ah, yes, that bright yellow!" Gene began. "Believe it or not, it was one of the changes Major Obney was able to convince the Grand Committee needed to be done. He wanted all the training aircraft to be clearly identified as such. And the decision was that the color should be bright enough to be seen at a distance."

"Oh, that yellow definitely did that." I added. "I saw one of them heading over here from the space center earlier this morning."

PY96Mxy.png

X8Dowff.png

"That was probably Major Maxey," Gene said, rolling his eyes. "Her and a few others are determined to see who can squeeze the most flight hours before the end of this year. She actually volunteered - on her down time - to shuttle aircraft from the space center to the Island Air Field."

For the next few minutes he reassured me that the meeting with the members of the Grand Council was not going to be anything to worry about. "Captain, they want your perspective. You're the only commander of a... ah... um... I think Dr. Angelo and Dr. Wernher chose the term, spaceship. Yes, you're the only one to command a space ship with a crew of complement of six. Counting yourself, of course."

For the next few minutes, Gene told me there were certain questions the Grand Committee had that only I could answer because of my experiences in space and in command. It was for this reason I had officially been summoned to appear in front of a select commission representing the Grand Committee. "Above all, Captain," he added, "be yourself, be honest, and when challenged, don't back down. You'll be fine."

Feeling a little better, I asked Gene if he knew what time the briefing actually was. The official summons didn't contain an exact time but stated for me to report at New Kerbin City before the night watch, about mid-night, began.

6ZJIP5j.png

9w2jeg3.png

ePeZo9F.png

"Captain, if I know the members of the commission, they're just getting back to New Kerbin City themselves. They had a meeting with Dr. Wernher earlier this morning at the space center. When I boarded the transit flight here, they were still in that meeting. Major Thompberry contacted me ten minutes before I came to your presentation to let me know they were boarding the flight back to the city. I imagine they'll want to see you first thing in the morning, but I'll check for you. Until then, why don't you go get some flight time in, Captain.

He was right, of course. The flight from the space center to New Kerbin City was nearly a two-hour flight at the top speed of what the Dart could fly. It was one of those craft not made for speed but made for a moderately comfortable flight. I decided to take advantage of the General's suggestion and put in some flight time.

GcRfPbv.png

6Ldb0R0.png

eLKmUu1.png

KJ524G3.png

rH2pw38.png

Before I knew it, I had flown about two and a half hours and Kerbol was beginning to set. I had a little over two and a half hours before mid-night to report to New Kerbin City. Although the Koos could fly considerably faster than the Dart taken by the Grand Committee delegation, I decided not to wait any longer before heading to my final destination of the day.

07HARXU.png

"KSC Flight Five, this is New Kerbin City Control," the voice came from over the speakers. "You are within the control zone; please descend to an altitude of one seven seven five meters and proceed to NKC field."

"Roger, NKC Control," I began. "This is Khaob. Changing altitude to one seven seven five ---"

"Captain Kerny!" the voice was now considerably more excited. "Is it really you? I mean ---"

"Affirmative, NKC Control ---" until I was interrupted again.

"We're honored to have you here!" What was being said now definitely would not have gone over lightly if Major Obney had heard it. "You are now forty-three kilometers out. We'll monitor your progress and will give you final approach instructions when you are closer to five kilometers out. Proceed on current heading, altitude, and speed until then."

"Roger, NKC Control." I replied. "Khaob out."

8Ji3MJp.png

WbJ8eWR.png

gBmujZ5.png

Because of the speed of the Koos, I was able to make it to New Kerbin City right as Kerbol's last light disappeared over the western horizon. And it was then that I learned my appearance in front of the commission was scheduled for the morning session right after dawn-time feasting. For now, my time was my own. After checking into the room assigned to me for my three-day stay here, General Gene called me on the video messenger and told me what he had learned from Commodore Valentina.

QFWLCog.png

Commodore Valentina told Gene she had been summonsed by the commission earlier in the evening to answer some questions specific to naval operations. They were, as gene described it, a little more than curious about her expectations of what she wanted to see added to training, and about the newest project to explore the depths of Kerbin's oceans. But they also asked her about her views of Captain Jebediah.

I'm going to have to sign out for now. I have just been summoned for an emergency meeting with Dr. Edmund, the chair of the Triune Committee.

Return to the OP (Index) Previous Chapter Next Chapter  

Edited by adsii1970