Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 86: "The slow passage of time, adrift in space."]

adsii1970

On 2/11/2021 at 3:34 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Also, if my calculations are correct, this is the 999th post on this thread!

oooh, can I make 1k?

Edit: I am the one thousandth reply, feels good! Also, technically, @RealKerbal3x, you had the 1000th post, since the reply counter doesn't count the very first post, so congrats!

Edited by KerballingSmasher

On 2/11/2021 at 2:34 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

@adsii1970 congrats on 9k rep :D

Also, if my calculations are correct, this is the 999th post on this thread!

Thanks, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. :) 

2 hours ago, KerballingSmasher said:

oooh, can I make 1k?

Edit: I am the one thousandth reply, feels good! Also, technically, @RealKerbal3x, you had the 1000th post, since the reply counter doesn't count the very first post, so congrats!

Wow, that's a lot of posts on this thread. :) I'm not sure if there is a prize patrol for achieving the 1,000th post...

And yes, Chapter 81 is coming soon. I'm going to spend some time this weekend working on it.

I had to re-read this whole story when the latest chapter came out.

Someone took the phrase “first contact” a bit too literally there- crashing into a stationary object (well, as stationary as it gets in space at least) and dinging the bodywork. You’d never catch me doing something like that, nope, not at all... (except the time I reversed into my own house and smashed the rear windscreen :blush: )

• 2 months later...

Moho 39, Y003
"
Slime and disappointment"

MISSION DAY +17.75

Chapter 81

We are now a little over one day from our next maneuver burn in our journey home. It's hard to keep in mind that when we left Kerbin orbit to rescue the crew of the Discovery IV, the Excursion was still in the middle stages of being refitted. While there were a number of fixes for the problems we had in previous missions, there was also a lot of new technology that was added to this ship. The last report I sent to Gene was met with an immediate response from both Dr. Angelo and Dr. Wernher. And for once, their responses were not the normal disagreement among themselves or blaming one another. It was a short message that simply stated "What did you expect? The refit was incomplete."

hhZFY6d.png

Earlier this morning, we had to do a brief maneuver burn to put the Excursion onto a trajectory which would bring us close enough to slide into a standard orbit of the Mün. Our next burn will be in over a day. One thing about all of those science fiction shows, such as Emiko Station, is they never really share how boring much of space travel actually is. Especially that show, Buck Kerman and the 1250th Year, where it seems like they simply plot their course, hit a button and by the next commercial break, they are in a totally different part of the galaxy. In reality, it will take a little over two days to get from Minmus to the Mün. It will take another two days to get from the Mün to Kerbin.

qU8hEfc.png

o5uSFUR.png

Earlier today, Commander Karloff and I had a conversation about further recommendations for this ship. When we report to the Zebulan at the end of this mission, the unfinished refit project for the Excursion will resume. Snack generation through the onboard facilities will be expanded to generate more than the crew can consume during a growth cycle. Snack storage will be increased. Karloff shared an observation made by Ensign Triy - the growth labs would be more efficient if moved to the outer hull extensions than where they are in the main hull. We also discussed the importance of having all crew quarters within the frame of the main hull. I'm sure Dr. Angelo and Dr. Wernher were excited to see these recommendations.

Besides the communications issue we encountered on this mission, there have been other problems that we discovered. Having the Discovery IV on the front docking port of the Excursion has shown us this should not be the normal procedure for long-term docking. With the craft docked there the Excursion's mass stays relatively stable along its axis. This is certainly important when it comes to long missions and overall impact on fuel consumption. But it does add to the length of the vessel and can make computations of distances a bit complex since the onboard software calculates the ship's length based on its own dimensions and does not include the length of any docked modules or vessels. I believe this is the reason we collided with the unidentified alien craft.

The lateral docking ports are also not a good solution for long-term docking either. Any craft or module docked for long term would cause the weight distribution of the Excursion to change from its axis. This also increases fuel consumption and specifically, monopropellant, to compensate for the change in weight distribution. Our solution, which we shared with Dr. Angelo and Dr. Wernher, was some sort of dorsal or ventral docking port system that maintained the axis weight distribution. We recommended keeping the lateral docking ports for short term docking requirements.

80aw6Xz.png

7XCg9HG.png

"Captain," Karloff continued. "You know those Kerman in the research and development department are not going to like these recommendations..."

"Well, they did want us to share our experience," I added. "They need to know what works and what doesn't so they know how to make this ship better."

"Sure, Cap," he added. "I understand that. But this will be the third major refit of the Excursion in a year..."

"Yeah, I've thought of that..." I really have. With the most recent refit, the only original parts of this ship are a few of the crew quarters and one of the growth pods - all salvaged from the original Excursion when we were told to leave the propulsion unit in orbit and return to the surface. "But the members of the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration are still planning to send us to whatever it is just outside of Kerbin's sphere of influence."

"Yes, I remember you mentioning that from the last data packet we had." Karloff replied, in agreement. "But is there any hint of how long between this mission's ending and when that mission begins?"

"No, Karloff," he was on to something here. "No, there is not. But with the amount of repairs and overhauls needed on the Excursion, we might be looking at a year or more before we get back out."

"Sir, what --"

"Captain, we have received a data packet from Bobak," Obion's voice was coming over the communications panel. "I'm sending it back to you now, sir, in your quarters." Within seconds of his announcement, the monitor came to life. A little panel slid open and after giving my pass code and a quick retinal scan, the list of items in the data packet were now on display.

zVLYspP.png

At first, this data packet didn't contain anything out of the ordinary. It had a video communication from Dr. Zarkov and operational orders from Dr. Haywood.

"Sir, I know he's your friend, but you know Dr. Zarkov is a little ---"

"A little what?"

"A little, well, eccentric." Karloff explained. "You never know what he's going to come up with next." Sure, I know he's extremely smart and all, but ---"

Before he could finish his next sentence, I began to play the recorded video message.

M93neAN.png

"Ah, Kerny," Dr. Zarkov began. "No doubt you've received my last data packet. Gene has told me you'll be back on Kerbin by the fourth of Eve. That will be perfect timing, my friend. See, we have a class of young scientists who would like to host a seminar with you and Commander Karloff and your crew to discuss various parts of your extended mission."

After a slight pause, he continued, "they have some pretty sound experiments they would like to send with Ensign Hildi to do. There's nothing too extreme she can't handle, mostly what happens when pink slime is exposed to space radiation --"

"Oh, great," Karloff interjected. "They want us to play with that -- "

But Zarkov was unfazed by the interruption. "We've been putting blue slime into mystery goo containers since the beginning of the program. We now know that different conditions causes the blue slime to behave in certain ways. But what we want to know is if pink slime behaves similarly. Since you've been in space, we've made some fascinating discoveries about the pink slime. I'm sure you will enjoy hearing of them."

No, I won't. I thought to myself. I've already discovered all I need to about the pink slime. I've seen what it can do.

Again, Zarkov was unfazed by our comments made to his message. And he continued for another three minutes talking about the anatomy of the creatures in the pink slime. Well, Kerny, by the time you'll get this message, it will be the beginning of my astronomy lab orientation for the new cadets this cycle. Come to the university once you have finished your post-mission debriefings."

"I've got to hand it to him," Karloff began. "I think he breathed as much as he blinked. When he gets to going -- "

"Yeah" I said in agreement, "but at least you can find an excuse to avoid the pink slime --"

"Oh, no, sir." Karloff said with a slight chuckle. "That's one of the many benefits of being captain and having friends in high places! See, I'm not a captain so I don't have to worry about -- "

Before he could finish his sentence, I opened our newest set of operational orders.

C12t4wu.png

"Sir, does this mean what -- " Karloff said, almost in a whisper.

"Yes, Commander, it does." For the first time since the panel of inquiry on Captain Jebediah Kerman I felt overwhelmed. "It means we are all going to be reassigned."

"I thought we'd all be making the trip beyond Kerbin's sphere of influence, sir. But this; this sir, -- "

"Our orders are clear" not much else to say. "Commander, we still have this mission to finish. I'm going to ask you to keep this between you and myself until we can meet with the rest of the crew once the Discovery's crew has left our ship. We need everyone focused until we make it back to the Zebulan."

"Aye, sir." Karloff said. I could hear the discontentment in his voice. "I'll also tell Commander Orvin you want to pass on the operational orders to him and his crew in the conference room, sir."

The communications panel automatically closed the operational orders and replaced them with the notification that the communications channel was now closed.

LpIsNkO.png

The awkward silence was intermittently broken by the sounds of the ship's ventilation systems circulating the air. Karloff just sat there, looking towards the monitor in shocked disbelief. The crew would be reassigned upon our arrival to the Zebulan Kerman.

"Yes," trying not to let my disappointment show. "That will be good. Let's have them meet us at the beginning of the cycle tomorrow." And with that, Karloff left my quarters and made his way to the bridge. I followed after him, taking my spot in what Obion has appropriately named the command chair. 

There is no up or down in space and there is not a horizon, like on Kerbin, to help us to keep the ship oriented. And each course correction can cause even the most stable vessels to begin to rotate about its axis. The Excursion is no different. Even though our rotation was slight, we were still off of our center orientation.

"Lieutenant Obion," I called out, "make our orientation zero point zero degrees."

The look on his face expressed the excitement I feel each time I depart the surface of Kerbin for the darkness of space. "Aye, sir," he happily exclaimed, "Righting the vessel to zero point zero degrees." Within seconds, we all could feel the slight roll of the Excursion under the hands of Obion.

o66Cm3G.png

MU2Oucb.png

With the roll complete, our indicators were now showing the ship was now back in alignment. I remember in the Kerbalnaut training we took that capsules and other craft didn't need to be set on a zero rotation unless docking with another vessel required it. But with what we have been told about the continuing mission of the Discovery and her crew, I want to set a good example for them.

I left the command deck and headed back to my cabin. With Karloff beginning his shift as the duty officer, I can finally catch up on some much needed rest. Still, as I prepare this long entry, I cannot help but to be troubled at the thoughts of losing my crew to reassignment.

Since their rescue, we have not neglected our duties to the requirements and standards given to us by Dr. Haywood and Gene. Right now, everything my crew is doing is considered as developmental since we are the first true spaceship, as Gene says. We also did our best to use the Discovery's crew to help handle the additional responsibilities of our extended mission.

In my next report to Dr. Haywood, Gene, and the other members of the Aeronautics and Space Exploration Committee, not only will I be evaluating the crew of the Discovery but the need for additional crew for extended missions. Even today, with only a quarter left before the end of this day-cycle, Ensign Hildi has been running the ship's lab and growth pods extremely efficiently. But there have been two-day cycles where she has not taken a sleep-cycle. Although Ensign Crista has been assisting her, between the snack growth requirements, mystery goo container observations, and the analysis of the dozens of samples retrieved from the surface of Minmus, there has been a lot of work that needs to be done.

ba6Mlk2.png

On 5/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, Angel-125 said:

Minor refit...

Reveal hidden contents

1200px-USS_Enterprise_NCC-1701_schematic

02735665acf4c9fe7ce29b109fd9286d.jpg

Makes me wonder just how different the Excursion will be for the new crew...

Going to have to wait to see. But with me having a break between semesters, I'm already working on the next chapter. :)

• 1 month later...

New chapter is coming next week. All I have to do now is sort through the nearly 130 screen shots. I had hoped to get enough game time in over the last month to post two chapters. Unfortunately, there was some real-world things that happened that caught me off-guard and, unfortunately, did cause me to step away from playing the amount of KSP that I normally play.

No, I am not "finished" with Kerny by a long shot and there's enough story line left to go before we get to that point. Here's what I am planning - I am going to keep Kerny in v 1.3.0 until I hit chapter 100. At Chapter 100, I will move Kerny and his crew to the newest version of KSP. I will warn you now there are going to be some changes as we go into 1.12.X that I simply have no control over.

One of them is the appearance of the Kermen characters you've come to love so much. I am still not sure how to keep my Kerbal's appearance the same since Texture Replacer has been replaced by something newer and more complex. I cannot seem to keep the same appearances much less change appearances in the newer one. So, there's that issue. For a while, when I make the transition, all the Kermen will look alike - unless someone can help me wrap my head around things.

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings, but the next chapter is coming. And yes, @Phildan Kerman, I have plans for you. Muhahahaha!

Teaser:
 8Tz2H6Q.png

9PFAMnX.png

• 5 months later...

Moho 40, Y003
"
Routine burn and a data packet from home"

MISSION DAY +19.0

Chapter 82

WSiM5vM.png

We are still five hours away from our next planned maneuver point. This next one will reduce or speed and set us into a high orbit above the Mün, somewhere between 187Km and about 200Km. From there, according to our current operations orders, the crew from the Discovery IV will depart and continue their original mission. In an earlier conversation with Commander Orvin, the original mission is for himself and his crew to return to the Arch colony. The colony had been evacuated before the last anomaly hit our system since some of Kerbin's greatest minds are still unsure what causes them.

Orvin and his crew are to return to the Arch colony and to evaluate the various structures. When the last anomaly happened, all contact was lost with the computer systems of the colony. To me, it sounds like more of a survey mission more than anything else. Commander Orvin seems to be of a mindset that he and his crew will be able to repair the colony's communications system. I think my time on the Excursion has made me more of a realist. I do not think it is going to be as easy as he believes it will be.

In the recent data packet, there was a lot of information about the future of this ship. It seems that the Excursion will see only one other ship of her class built - the Expedition. Both vessels will receive a new registry number and prefix, which is something new devised by the Triune Counsel. Both the Excursion and the Expedition will be training vessels used to train crews. When we get back to Kerbin, The Excursion will be met by Dr. Angelo's engineering and structural architect team to be studied once she's docked with the Zebulan. He wants to go over all of our reports, study this ship, and before construction begins on the Expedition, try to address the many problems we've encountered here. There are parts of the Excursion that simply do not work or work as intended. And there are some things that need to be added to this ship that would greatly improve the quality of life. I do know that part of our debriefing aboard the Zebulan is meeting with Dr. Angelo and his staff and discussing our observations about this ship. 

Apparently, Dr. Zarkov and Senior Consul Rayvan have come to some agreement about the importance of training and maintaining a permanent presence in space. Dr. Angelo couldn't tell me a lot of what happened, but that the ship designs and specifications for the Chorenn, the third ship, was scrapped. I know this is the ship Gene hinted that I might be heading to when I am reassigned after we return from this mission. But now, hearing from Dr. Angelo that the ship designs are being redrawn because mission specifications have changed is a little disappointing and exciting at the same time.

It's exciting because it relates to what Bobak sent in the data packet. Being on this mission has really kept us out of contact on so many of the issues happening back on Kerbin. Before we left, we were aware of how the Prime Consul was starting to reduce the budget of the space program. And we were all aware of how she appointed her daughter, Rayvan, as the acting Senior Consul of the Triune Counsel.

But in a surprise move, Senior Consul Rayvan took a motion to the Grand Committee requesting additional funding for continued development of the space program. It passed by a comfortable sixty percent of present delegates voting in favor. Prime Consul Katrine vetoed the motion, claiming the space program was "a complete waste of valuable resources that could be better allocated." By sundown, the Grand Committee, using a seldom used provision of Article II, Section IV, overrode her veto with a rare unanimous vote of all present delegates voting in favor to override. More delegates voted to override her veto than actually voted for the original motion!

Also included in the data packet was some research notes that made Ensign Hildi very happy. Since the third day of our mission, she has been working in our various hydroponics gardening labs, trying to maximize plant growth. She's faithfully recorded her observations and practices and send reports to Kerbin once every three cycles. In this data packet, there was a report sent to her from Trice, the chief science officer of Tulum Station. Ensign Hildi could barely contain her excitement as she shared the report with us this morning. 

BQxWNVR.png

She began to read from the personal communications tablet she held in her hand. Ensign Hildi, the micro-nutrients you added to the hydrobay pods on the Excursion did just what you thought they would do on Kerbin. I can't say what they would do at other locations, but here at Tulum Station, near those ancient ruins, we took one of the farming modules and tested your observations.

WLFZiGG.png

6C6Rqkb.png

z3QLTFp.png

As you can see, the plants are extremely healthy, full, and ready to harvest in a matter of a couple of weeks, shortening the harvest time by at least three cycles. We predict this will allow the construction of more compact settlements if hydroponic farming modules are well-planned and maintained. I think your research is valuable and you may be on track to solving the problem of increasing the food supply without adding to the cost of future missions. Commander Geofbur, our settlement commander, is convinced and was speaking to Gene earlier today about the importance of this research. He is trying to convince Gene and Dr. Zarkov we need the other settlements - including the Mün Arch Settlement when it returns, to take part in this continued study. Trice out.

"Oh, now that's nice," Commander Karloff began. "That's what get's you noticed by Dr. Zarkov and Gene. Ensign, you'll be okay. I'm sure your next assignment will be okay. Who knows, maybe you'll get to teach at the next -- "

"Commander, " I interrupted, I thought --"

"Sorry, Captain," Karloff said, with a little sound of defeat in his voice. I'm trying to remain positive.

"Captain," Hildi began, "What is he referring to? What 'next assignment'?"

"Well," I began," since we are all here, maybe it is the best time. A couple of days ago, our operational orders stated we were to proceed to orbit the Mün, the crew of the Discovery IV were to disembark and continue on their mission. For us, we rendezvous with some sort of cargo pod, refuel, and return to Kerbin. Once we've docked with the Zebulan, we will all go through debriefing, return to the KSC, and from there, according to our orders, we will all be reassigned."

For what seemed like an eternity, the only sound in the conference room was the sound of the air circulation fans

"But," It was Hildi who broke the silence. "Captain, what if I don't want to be reassigned?"

"I don't want to, either, sir." Ensign Gilti Began. "Don't I have a say?"

"What if we just don't go back?" Lieutenant Obion cried out. "I mean --"

"It's not up to me," And it wasn't. "We all have our orders. The Excursion is going to become a training vessel. But she is also going to be refitted. From what the files say, she's going to be overhauled in a very major way. All of those complaints we have? Angelo is ready to listen. All of those ideas? Yeah, he is ready to listen to those, too. But we have all the experience. And with that, I can see why we can expect to be reassigned. Each one of us can train more Kermen what we've learned by being integrated into other crews than if we were to stay as one single crew. And maybe that's what is meant by 'reassigned.'

3RSkSrC.png

We all sat there for a few minutes, not wanting to admit the possibility of me being right and at the same time, knowing there isn't anything we can do to stop it. After finishing our morning crew briefing, the first shift ended, the second shift reported to their duty assignments on the command deck to relieve the crew of the Discovery IV. Commander Orvin had volunteered he and his crew to cover the gap between the two crews so we could have a joint meeting.

The last item in the data packet was a late night flight over the KSC. Listed as a training flight not to arouse suspicions of the Prime Counsul's staff, the call sign Tango-Nine, nine being an indicator it was the ninth training flight of the day. It left the KSC as any other night flight would.

82wDw6i.png

Tower, this is Tango-Nine, requesting permission to taxi to the runway.

Tango-Nine, this is Tower, you are clear to taxi to the runway.

Tower, this is Tango-Nine. Requesting clearance to take off.

Negative, Tango-Nine. Please hold, await clearance.

Roger, Tower. Am holding.

Continue to hold, Tango-Nine.

Roger, Tower. Am holding.

Tango-None, cleared for take-off, then bank right 45 heading nine zero, altitude seven five zero zero.

Roger, Tower.

ZtP3f8d.png

IdZsIek.png

75K4BFT.png

mYh35oD.png

Tango-Nine, this is Old Kerman, do you copy? This was Gene's call sign. Something's up.

Roger, Old Kerman, Tango-Nine standing by.

Your orders are to punch and go. Do you understand?

Roger, Punch and go, affirmative.

And with that, the signal data from the craft's transponder was no longer indicated on the telemetry report. The craft was now running without leaving any radio signal. Until it returned from the assigned mission, it would not leave a transponder signal during this flight. And it would be hard to spot even at night since it would also mean the pilot would also switch of the craft's navigation lights. It would be running dark.

nFwY0i7.png

Soon, about thirty minutes into its flight, I recognized where it was - the craft was gliding over New Kerbin City! Although the mission required absolute radio silence, the cockpit recorder did record the sounds of surface to air radar locking onto the craft and actively pinging the dark target. Soon, the warning tones of a surface to air weapons lock filled the cockpit.

EYNBMMU.png

It was time to get out of there - and fast!

EHT8HXg.png

h5JgRu4.png

Not breaking radio silence but following Gene's orders to the letter, the unknown pilot muttered out a faint "excrements" barely audible over the warning tones of of the craft's defensive systems. Punch and go meant just that - if you're pinged - punch and go! Full throttle and go. And it carried a second understanding - create radio chatter about having mechanical problems. And that's just what the pilot did.

Tango-Nine to KSC Operations, come in - Tango-Nine to KSC --

Tango-Nine, this is NKC Operations, what can we --

NKC Operations? No, I am not supposed to be here. I am trying to get to the Island Airfield. This is Tango-Nine --

Tango-Nine, this is NKC Operations, what's your heading?

I don't know, NKC Operations. I'm having electrical issues --

NKC Operations, this is KSC Operations, Tango-Nine, we already have a chase plane heading your way, time of arrival twelve minutes. Bobak will follow with instructions when I sign off.

KSC Operations, this is NKC Operations, PC will be notified. Keep trainees out of our airspace as per her orders.

NKC Operations, please send PC my regards. KSC Chief out.

And with that, NKC operations signed out, and the pilot and Bobak began discussing headings, airspeed, and altitude. Although the telemetry shifted several times, I never saw the "chase plane" mentioned by Gene and am pretty sure there was never one sent out.

n67pQuJ.png

ptp2BwD.png

The flyover mission was a success - Gene and the rest of us learned some important information - Prime Consul Katrine still has some surface-to-air assets assigned to New Kerbin City acting independently of the Kerbin Defense Forces. At this point, we are not sure who controls them or even what kind of systems they are. The mission is also successful in we didn't lose the pilot or the craft - Gene's plan worked but it will only work once. As Dr. Edmund once told me, she will only fall for a trick once. Gene will not be able to do a lost pilot in training in a craft having mechanical problems mission again. 

The familiar shudder of the main engines powering down at the end of a two-minute burn has again filled this ship. Commander Karloff has really begun to mature as a potential commander of his own vessel. I understand how much of my crew feels knowing we may never serve with each other again once we return to Kerbin. Our mission aboard the Excursion will be finished within four days. In six days, I'll be back at the KSC. When I will get the chance to get back into space will be anyone's guess. I just hope it is soon.

Just now, KerballingSmasher said:

I just finished finals (literally like three minutes ago) and I got an email saying NEW CHAPTER!

Best. Present. Ever.

Thanks, @adsii1970!

Hehehe, I finished almost all the grading yesterday. And I am planning to get back into writing more frequently. :)

I know there are some story lines and plot holes I need to address. There are some formatting issues in earlier chapters I need to fix, too. But I think you'll like where things are going to head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Eve 1, Y004
"
Captain, telemetry indicates Discovery IV is now free from Excursion. You're free to return home."

MISSION DAY +20.75

Chapter 83

6MOgiKs.png?1

This evening, the data packet we received as the Excursion entered into Münar orbit contains another batch of requests for information from this mission. I imagine when today's entry is read, there will be some amusement among the senior staff of the space program and a few raised eyebrows among those members of the Grand Committee charged with the oversight of the space program. Gene and Rayven want crew evaluations on both the members of the Excursion and my observations and recommendations of the Discovery IV's commander and crew. Dr. Angelo wants detailed reports and recommendations from myself and every member of the crew regarding the performance of the Excursion. His message contained an upbeat and optimistic phrase: No detail is too small; I want to get it right! He has never heard some of the complaints from Commander Karloff about the numerous engineering section issues or Ensign Hildi's numerous complaints on the inadequacies of the general science lab and the medical bay. I'm sure he will regret that phrase once he sees what this crew has to say.

Around 0100 hours KSC time, before entering orbit, Commander Karloff and I held the briefing with Commander Orvin and his crew, Ensign Gentrice and Ensign Crista. Sure, it was the second such briefing in as many days, but I wanted to make sure that everything went right. At the request of Gene, the briefing was straightforward.

"Yes, Captain," Ensign Crista spoke up. She was half asleep and not in the best of moods. "Commander Karloff and I have made sure that the ration locker, the batteries, the monopropellant, and the LOF tanks on the Discovery are full. I also reported this to Commander Orvin yesterday before the sleep cycle began."

"Ensign," Orvin began, "Captain Kerny has a job to do just as we have. He's doing what any responsible captain would do. Until the KSC has told him they have our telemetry, he's responsible for our well-being. These last few days, I've learned more from his example than from the leadership training at the Kerbalnaut training program."

"I guess you're right," Crista said in a more optimistic tone. "And I've learned something from Lieutenant Obion. These snacks on the Excursion are a lot better than those given to us in the Kerbalnaut training barracks! I mean, these things are -- "

"Can we get a little more serious here, please!" Ensign Gentriece interrupted. "I want to hear the disembarking procedures one more time. They didn't teach this in the training program. And I want to be ready. I know this mission was supposed to be a training mission, but those orders changed. Now they want us to dock with a lander and then descend to the Münar surface, to the Arch settlement. Are they sure we're ready?"

Everyone looked at me for an answer. "Well, apparently Gene thinks you are. And if Gene thinks you are, then you are. I've learned as my time as Captain of the Excursion to do three things: trust Gene, trust my crew, and trust my ship. You are ready as long as you can do those three things."

4EN34Yh.png

"Captain," the familiar voice of Lieutenant Gilti called out over the conference room intercom. "We will be approaching the separation point in thirty minutes."

"Thank you, Gilti," I said, pressing the communications button in front of me. "Kerny out."

"Well, Sir," Commander Orvin began, "with your permission -- "

"Yes," I interrupted, "Permission granted, commander. May the Gods provide for you and your crew. Now, report to the Discovery and prepare for disembarkation."

"Aye, sir!' all three replied. Commander Orvin and Ensign Gentrice quickly left the room, leaving Ensign Crista and me alone in the conference room.

"Captain," she began, in a low voice, "The four-pointed yellow star represents the Grand Committee which governs Kerbin freely. It is the blue diamond which ties us to our past..."

For a second, I stared at her. I had assumed Commander Orvin was Section 31; I never expected it to be Ensign Crista. So, I responded, taking care to leave the last phrase off as Dr. Edmund had taught me if I doubted the legitimacy of the contact. "And the green chevron, in the center, upon which the government of the republic stands." Every youngling knew these parts of the Republic Verse as it's known. Only members of the Section would know the last phrase. 

Looking straight at me, she finished the last phrase, "We are the blue chevrons which bind it all together." Reaching in the pocket of her flight suit, she pulled out an orange data stick and handed it to me. "Doctor Zarkov handed this to me before we launched and told me to give it to you before we departed your ship."

"Come on, Crista," we could hear Commander Orvin calling down the corridor. "We have less than seventeen minutes to do launch prep!"

"Aye, sir, on my way!" and with her acknowledgment, she started to make her way down the center corridor of the Excursion towards the forward docking port.

4x9Tsx0.png

0ebUZTw.png

I began my journey towards the command deck of the Excursion. How could Doctor Zarkov know that the crew of the Discovery would end up on my ship before we were sent to rescue them if this whole rescue mission wasn't some setup? What purpose could Gene, Doctor Zarkov, and the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration hope to gain from this? Whatever the answers are, I am sure they are probably not on the data stick.

"Captain on the command deck." It was Obion who noticed first. "Sir, we will be at the disembarkation point in ten minutes." Ensign Triy, patch me through to Discovery's communications."

"Aye, sir," she replied. "You're on."

"Commander Orvin, we're almost there." I began. "Are you settled in?"

"Aye, sir," he replied. "Permission to prepare to disembark, sir?"

"Permission granted," I replied. "Commander Karloff, you may seal the docking port."

"Aye, sir!" He replied with a bit of a gleeful tone. "Now I can get that ugly wart off my ship!"

"Uh, Commander," Orvin called out over the communications panel, "she may look like a wart to you, but she's my ship --"

It was Obion interrupting with the countdown. "We will be at the disembarking point in seven minutes..."

"Attention to the crew of Discovery; I am transferring operational control to Commander Karloff for disembarking procedures." There has to be a better way than this long checklist that Gene has come up with when two spacecraft separate. Not even docking operations with stations are this complex. "Please stand by."

"Aye, Excursion," Orvin replied. "Awaiting your command."

"Discovery," Karloff began, "I am reading from Uncle-General Gene's How to Disembark Your Spacecraft From Another Spacecraft Checklist, do you hear me?"

An unexpected but familiar voice came across the communications channel, "Excursion, KSC Control. Please remember your communications are being monitored and recorded. Certain parties may not appreciate -- rephrase - a certain party is not enjoying the side commentary. Stick to the protocol. KSC Control - out!" It was the unmistakable voice of Bobak letting us know that Gene didn't appreciate our commentary on his procedures.

After the laughter died down, I motioned for Karloff to continue. "Discovery, this is Excursion." This time he read word for word from the manual. "Please read along and complete the steps in sequence. Are you ready?"

"Excursion, this is Discovery. Please proceed..." Karloff began reading the checklist as both crews prepared for Discovery's departure. Finally, Karloff read the last item. "The last item says we do not do this last step until we are at the disembarkation point. It's pretty simple. We disengage the magnetic clamps and engage RCS thrusters."

"Sir," Gilti added, "we will be at the disembarkation point in a minute."

JrT6wTL.png

pEmU75W.png

"We are at the disengage point in... three... two...." Gilti continued with the countdown.

"Disengage magnetic clamps," I ordered, "now!" And nearly immediately, the sound of clank, clank, clank, clank... filled the Excursion as the magnetic locks disengaged. When the last lock disengaged, the sounds of the RCS thrusters stabilizing the ship could be heard and felt as minute burns were made.

"Sir," Karloff said, "The wart is free! Repeat, the wart is no longer attached to this ship."

5FSmM8o.png

mUd5PDf.png

O3cNRXV.png

"Captain," Hildi called out," I have two incoming messages. One is from the Discovery. The other is from KSC Tracking."

"Put the KSC Tracking through first," I ordered."

"Aye, sir," and Bobak's voice again filled the command deck. "Excursion, telemetry indicates Discovery IV is now free from Excursion. According to your new orders sent in the recent data packet, you're free to return home. KSC Tracking out."

"Excursion, this is Discovery. Can you read us?" Orvin's voice had a hint of concern in it.

"Yes, Discovery, we are reading you. This is Excursion. Go ahead," Hildi replied.

"KSC Control is receiving independent telemetry from Discovery's onboard systems," Orvin said. "I guess we'll see you at the KSC sometime, Captain. Thanks for the assistance and the ride."

"You're welcome," I began. "Excursion out." And with that, my crew and I had to get underway. The new orders came in as we started the disembarkation procedures outlined by Gene. I have not had a chance to review them yet. "Gilti, would you transfer that data packet to my cabin. Commander Karloff, you have the command deck."

"Aye, Sir," both Karloff and Gilti said. I knew leaving Karloff on the command deck was the right thing to do. If our orders had changed, I needed to know about it before returning to Kerbin. We were effectively less than four full days out - not including refueling and resupplying with the cargo pod sent out by Gene. There was one burn scheduled to take place in another ten minutes to move us away from the area of operations for the continuing Discovery IV mission. And there was also the issue about the orange data stick given to me by Ensign Crista.

gC9UaHX.png

1g0NXuS.png

7rPWfK9.png

LXkScUS.png

lNTqugf.png

From the feel of the Excursion  and her response, the burn was performed flawlessly. Until Gene's message I was unaware that today was actually the first day of Year 004 since the Emergence. Today is Eve 1st and my crew and I - or at least I forgot about the normal Day of Feasting that normally happens on this day.  Gene reminded me of the cargo pod, it's planned rendezvous coordinates and even said that he and the rest of the KSC staff have added a few "extras" not listed on the official cargo lists to help us celebrate Feasting Day.

Our new operational orders were much what I expected and offered no real hints about the future of my crew or their assignments when we return. The Excursion will be refitted over a period of four months - not including the additional time to make changes we think needs to be made to the ship. The two officers I am to evaluate, Commander Orvin and Commander Geofbar, the orders specify one of them will be accompanying me on my next mission to the unknown objects orbiting at the edge of the orbit of Minmus. I will not be in command of the Excursion at that time. I will have a crew of ten, but other than that, I do not know who will make up that crew. But instead of being told to return to the Zebulan Kerman within four days, these orders say not to return to the station before the 6th of Eve. This is an extra two days before our return. I plan to make the most of it.

I shared the rest of the data packet with the crew this evening as we made one last orbit around the Mün. After finishing her sea trials, the patrol craft Dres was sent to the Western Sea and was placed under the command of Commander Hadfen. The first time I met him he was a lieutenant commander and the executive officer aboard the Sinaan, Commodore Valentina's flagship. He is older than me by three years and was never interested in the Kerbalnaut program. His interests has always been in exploring Kerbin's oceans. So, as soon as the first ocean-going vessels were out into service, he volunteered. He was an ensign when Valentina took command of the Dres before the refit. Now, after being promoted to lieutenant commander and having to attend the KDF's leadership training course, he was given his first command.

After the Dres finished her sea trials, she was transferred to the Western Sea and finished her refit. Now, she was heading out on her first real operational orders since leaving the KSC's shipyards before the last major anomaly. There was no fanfare on the docks, as there normally was for the early days of the space program. There were no cheering crowds of spectators. Just the silent witness of the Sinaan, still undergoing refit and still about a year away from sea trials, and the crew aboard as the only witnesses as the Dres began her first real patrol with her new captain, Lieutenant Commander Hadfen aboard.

Xmv5Msc.png

5ZA2PT0.png

We all cheered as we began to see her stacks emit that first few puffs of smoke as her engines began to come alive. There's a sense of excitement as we could hear the engines - the very heart and soul of Dres come alive over the conference room speakers. And although slowly at first, we all watched -- and Gilti was the first to clap and cheer -- as the Dres began to pull out of the harbor under her own power.

qEb6NIF.png

7YCfZh4.png

jAZH1qj.png

Y4nXq3y.png

PDHMDvK.png

We sat there and watched as the Dres began picking up speed, moving out of the bay and further away from the harbor. The last view of her in the data packet was from one of the transport aircraft flying over the harbor and heading to the small airfield nearby.

rjJQjJS.png

"Captain, she's a pretty small vessel in a blue sea." Maxbas said. I wasn't even aware when she entered into the conference room.

"Yes, madam Consul, you're right," answered Commander Karloff. "But we're a small speck of light in a black eternal night."

JUE1JwE.png

That's something we all know is true. The Excursion is a small point of reflected light in an eternally black night. Once the data packet, or the part I shared with the crew was finished, we all dismissed for the evening. The night watch headed to the command deck with Lieutenant Obion as the officer of the watch and Triy on duty with him. Hildi volunteered for an extra shift to help Triy get a better understanding of how to use the Excursion's onboard scanning systems to look for objects and abnormalities on planetary surfaces.

I'm back in my cabin, waiting for Maxbas to come join me. Seems that while my data packet is all work-related, Bobak sent her the last four episodes of Emiko Station. She shared with me earlier today that J. Jim Kerman is unable to do the next major project he was going to do. Seems he now works for the Grand Committee as the Advisor of the Performing Arts and Literature. She said that the communication stated once the nomination was made by Doctors Haywood and Zarkov, it was seen as a great way to promote not only literature, but an interest in the antiquities, science, and education. I wonder how Gene took this news knowing how much he dislikes J. Jim. It's a sad thing to see Emiko Station come to an end. It's brought a lot of good times to my crew and I, as well as a lot of others on Kerbin. But I have faith there will be others out there who will continue on in the big step-prints left behind by J. Jim. I do wish him the best as he begins the next part of his journey.

Well, the chime indicates that someone is at my cabin's door. I'm going to end this entry and enjoy those last four episodes.

14 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Me in 2022: you have no idea…

Yeah, sadly prophetic, ain't it. Saw you've been doing a lot of back-reading. Enjoying the older chapters?

I've been trying to tie up some of the loose ends in the story line. And as you know, there are a lot of loose ends everywhere! :confused:

I am about 1/3 of the way into making the images for the next chapter. I am hoping that the next chapter can be written Friday.

Okay, while I have all the images for the next chapter, I still have to sort them. I doubt I will get to write the chapter this week. However, I do expect to get to the chapter within the next two weeks. :)

Kerny's journey is far from over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.