Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 87: "Among the growing shadows."]

adsii1970

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

• Kuzzter - a toss between Walter "Radar" O'Reilly and Rick Moranis. I put him in here as a tribute to @Kuzzter for helping and encouraging me.

HAHAHA I LOVE THAT SHOW! I'm watching old re-runs now and I've fallen in love. :wub:

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

...wow, that's quite a tribute...thanks...do I really sound like that? :/ 

XD

Thanks for those details, it helps give voice to the characters (at least 2 of them I can recall off the top of my head).
Oh, and I wondered about Orson, if it was a reference to Orson Welles (not a very common name).

Oh, and about the praise, you deserve it for this work, it's up there with Forgotten Space Program, the Kerbfleet series and Plan Kappa for me. All excellent, story driven mission reports.

Edited by AkuAerospace
More to say

@AkuAerospace: Yes, Dr. Orson is Orson Welles as I shared in my character outline previously. There's a small problem with this character in the story and it happened by accident; however, it has opened an opportunity for a really great story line, so I am going to leave it.

Again, I am highly flattered with your opinion of my work. Thank you!

Neidon 6, Y003
"That new capsule smell... and it comes with extra cup holders!"
Chapter 28

yxSlCkP.jpg

We're now into the second day of our mission. According to what we experienced and information from the last data packet sent to us by Bobak, our launch yesterday afternoon was about as near perfect as we could have ever hoped for. This time, our Kerbin Orbiter 2 launch vehicle was fitted with two solid rocket boosters. I didn't realize the difference in thrust between liquid and solid rocket motors until yesterday. Until yesterday, every launch I've made has always been with liquid fueled engines. It's pretty awesome to hear them roar to life and a few seconds later, to feel the engine-generated vibrations throughout the command module. Our launch yesterday used solid rocket boosters as the primary stage - and when they fired up, there was little delay between hearing the engines fire and the familiar vibrations. Within just a few fractions of a second, we were off the pad and heading to the rendezvous with the Minimus Excursion Module which was launched on the 4th. 

WAPwWzB.jpg

Within thirty minutes, Gilti had plotted our intercept course, verified by Karloff, and we followed mission protocol and had all numbers verified by Mission Control. "Minimus 3, this is Mission Control," the familiar voice of Bobak called out over our headsets. "Numbers look good, you are go for executing intercept..." Within minutes, we achieved orbit at 170 kilometers above Kerbin's surface. Until we were within range of the module, the craft's computer controls would pilot the ship.

This was Gilti's first actual space launch. For the duration of the intercept procedures, Karloff and myself were bombarded by one question after another. "Commander Kerny, how hard is it to land on Minimus?"

"Well, our best guess is based on the information from several probe landers," I explained to her. "We're the first Kermen to ever land on Minimus..." And at that moment, hearing myself say it, it became real. My childhood dream of being the first Kerman to step foot on Minimus would be coming true on this mission. It's an amazing and humbling experience to see a childhood dream come true.

lHytjBi.jpg

With less than 150 meters of distance remaining between the command module and the Minimus Excursion Module, we switched control to manual. Although nervous at first, Gilti was soon executing the maneuvers we all had practiced over the last few days. "Commander, we are now at -50 meters to docking port. Request permission to proceed..." she asked as she used the command module's monopropellant thrusters to move us into position.

"Execute docking maneuvers, Ensign..." And I will admit, it has been an adjustment to being a mission commander. With less than a full year of space service, not only have I been certified as a mission commander, I now hold the rank of commander in the United Republic of Kerbin's space force.

"We are now moving forward at 1.0 meters per second, Commander" Karloff called out. "45 meters remaining to target..." For the next few minutes, Karloff continued to call out our speed and distance to the docking port until we were about a meter out. "Docking in five...four...three...two...one...zero!" And as he reached zero, the sounds of the docking port magnetic restraints could be heard as they pulled the two ships together, then sealing contact.

"Commander, we now have hard dock..." Gilti called out.

And with that, we were firmly docked to the Mimimus Excursion Module. "Mission Control, this is Minimus 3, we have hard dock with the excursion module."

"Roger, Minimus 3. You have eighteen minutes before trajectory correction burn..." Bobak replied.

For the next five minutes, my crew and I ran our calculations for the trajectory burn that would take us to Minimus. According to our last preflight briefing, the window for the voyage to Mimimus was to be between four and seven days.

RRBQs2p.jpg

"Roger, Mimimus 3, your numbers are good, prepare for trajectory burn in T minus fifteen minutes..." And with that last transmission from Mission Control, we began the process of preparing ourselves and our craft for the trajectory burn.

"Burn complete, Commander. We are now on course for planned rendezvous with Miminus in five days..." Gilti reported. Since she has become a part of the team, it is incredible how well we all work together. No longer do Karloff and I have to work around her as we had to with Aldas; we had a new team member who worked with us and to a level of proficiency that helped the team rather than what we had previously with Aldas.

In other news, Jebpond, a Kerman I have not seen since I was accepted into the Kerbalnaut program, sent me a video call earlier this morning. He had been selected to attend the United Republic of Kerbin Naval Academy with his certification in nautical engineering the last time we had a chance to meet up. Now, he's been assigned to the URKN Sinann. The Sinaan has been out on patrol in the Great Northern Sea since the last Great Anomaly happened earlier this year and is currently under the command of Captain Valentina.  Since he was assigned to a ship already on patrol, he told me they flew him and three other graduates out on one of the Sea Hoppers permanently assigned to the KSC

5MqHiGk.jpg

cZdUGEh.jpg

He said that the flight wasn't too bad, but after about two hours, he was ready to get to his destination. I've never flown a Sea Hopper much less ride in one. But from what I understand from his message, landing on the open ocean was a pretty rough experience. He also said that for the next year, he will serve on board the Sinaan and once that year is over, he will have the ability to request his next assignment.

Gene and Thompberry had a little bit of a disagreement. Before we left, Gene had told Thompberry the scaffolding around the KSC monolith would have to be reduced in size. It seems that every spare girder and bolt at the center had been grabbed by Thompberry or his staff for the huge structure. In fact, the scaffolding was so large you could actually see it from the space plane hangar!

TCpvuOV.jpg

Both Dr. Wernher and Dr. Haywood felt that the extra scaffolding could not be justified since the only thing visible above the small glyph band was some form of standard writing with the word SQUAD in raised text. Above that is an unknown glyph that resembles a shrunken and misshaped  Kerbal bead with glasses. The band of glyphs, resembling the ancient Kerbal glyphs discovered by the scientist teams at Tulum Station, extend from a meter above the ground to about a meter below the raised text of the monolith.

"Gene, you told me that I had every resource at my disposal to find Bill..." Thompberry screamed into the portable communicator. "You asked me to find out if his disappearance was somehow connected to the monolith... and I need that large scaffolding to do that..."

"No, you don't" we heard Gene interrupt. Boback had forwarded us a copy of the entire radio exchange in the last data packet. "I told you that you had every resource at your disposal - but I draw a line at taking the space plane hangar apart so you can build more scaffolding around it!"

"Gene, what you've left me to work with... isn't big enough...."

pYtErmN.jpg

IxriDKQ.jpg

"Thompberry, look.... it goes to the bottom of the raised letters and gives you a complete view of the glyph band underneath it..." you could almost hear the exasperation growing in Gene's voice. "You took apart Dr. Wernher's office..."

"I left his furniture alone. He didn't need all those extra walls. After all, his office is inside the space plane hangar..." Thompberry cut in.

"I'm not arguing this over the communicator with you any longer. Dr. Haywood will be here tomorrow and you can take it up with him..." and with Gene's last words, the data packet's recording ended.

We're entering our night cycle and for the next three hours, Gilti will be pulling the watch within the command module. Gene and Dr. Haywood recommended that until we know how the excursion module will affect trajectory to Minimus, one of the three of us must remain in the command module at all times. The other two are free to move into the excursion module until their watch shift begins. Now since my shift is ending, it's time for me to catch some sleep while I can.

* Minimus Explorer 1: Orbital survey satellite launched under the authority of the Committee on Space Exploration and Colonization in the month of Duna, Y001 to map the surface of Minimus.

Edited by adsii1970

1 minute ago, AkuAerospace said:

*Laughs*

I, can't think of a thing to say.

In my mind's eye, I actually laughed as I imagined what that scene would have looked like. I can just see Thompberry entering the hangar with his gang going... "that's not a load bearing wall...take it out... we can use those materials in the scaffolding!" :D

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

In my mind's eye, I actually laughed as I imagined what that scene would have looked like. I can just see Thompberry entering the hangar with his gang going... "that's not a load bearing wall...take it out... we can use those materials in the scaffolding!" :D

"Oh that's the exterior wall? Meh; it'll make the place 'airy'! Open concept, am I right?!" *Smashes through the wall*

Naw, an exterior wall would have remained largely untouched. Even Thompberry knows that there are some things out there, like avionics, that don't like getting wet.  Now internal walls, such as office walls, bathroom walls, break room walls... who needs them when there's a massive scaffolding project that needs to be built?

:D

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Naw, an exterior wall would have remained largely untouched. Even Thompberry knows that there are some things out there, like avionics, that don't like getting wet.  Now internal walls, such as office walls, bathroom walls, break room walls... who needs them when there's a massive scaffolding project that needs to be built?

:D

Oh; alright then.

"So does anyone need the VAB? No? Good; HEY GUYS! WE GOT ABOUT A MILLION FEET OF STEEL READY AND WAITING FOR DEMO!!!!!"

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

Oh; alright then.

"So does anyone need the VAB? No? Good; HEY GUYS! WE GOT ABOUT A MILLION FEET OF STEEL READY AND WAITING FOR DEMO!!!!!"

Hahaha, now that he might do... or "does the tracking center really need all those big dishes? That's a lot of really wasted metal when only one will do..."

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hahaha, now that he might do... or "does the tracking center really need all those big dishes? That's a lot of really wasted metal when only one will do..."

hahaha

"Is the R&D important? We've researched basically everything there is to know..."

"Aw who needs the flagpole? That's a couple meters of steel right there!"
"Do we really need this many water towers around the KSC? I feel like only using 1 would suffice"
"Okay Gene, now keep an open mind here." "Yeah, okay" "Do you honestly, truly, 110% need the Administration Center?"

*German Accent*

Hallo, we from the lab thurully disagree with the destruction of our walls, as an annoying philospher once said "That's no lab it's a superweapon control station"

We would like to torture thompberry with our torture-inator!!!  He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about I mean how else are we going to murder the administration guys *cough* *cough* I mean toast our bread.

I believe we should take apart the unnecessary administration centre and their horrible public relations

Would you like our productivity compared to theirs thompy??? I'll give you all the profit and productiveness!!!!!

Don't tell Walt Kerman!!

Edited by Orion Kerman

Hey folks - just wanted to update you all -

The semester is 1/4 of the way done and has been quite wild. We've had server issues at my university. This means I have had to rebuild my on-line course a couple of times. Things are starting to return to normal - which is a good thing.

I am hoping that tonight I can grab the last few screenshots needed for the next chapter and if all goes well, there will be another chapter posted tomorrow.

@Orion Kerman: No torturing of Kerbals is allowed. Now we may experience an accidental death or two, but no torture... :)

@DarkOwl57: Yup, that's in line with what I had imagined in my mind. If nothing, Thompberry is results and success driven. Definitely an Alpha type personality, much like Jebediah. Could be one of the reasons they butt heads so much!

Neidon 12, Y003
"Mission Control... We have landed..."
Chapter 29

lJytODn.jpg

So far, our mission to Minimus has had relatively few problems. Five days with the new crew module has really made this trip to Minimus a lot more relaxed than the previous mission. It also helped that Altas was replaced by Gilti. Her attitude and eagerness to learn all she can about this vessel and about our mission had really made a difference. When it was the end of her rotation in the command module, she went back to the crew compartment and spent most of the time in awe. She was simply in awe of being in space, of being on an actual mission instead of in a simulator, and in awe of what new experiences awaited her during the mission. I didn't realize until our second day in transit this was actually her first actual space flight. Normally most new trainees are required to do at least two low Kerbin orbit missions before being assigned to missions further out. This way, if the Kerbalnaut develops space sickness, the mission isn't as long and it is easier to get them back home.

SKsPNb8.jpg

Gilti told us last night that she actually requested a waiver for that part of Kerbalnaut training. "I don't know any other way to explain it, I just couldn't wait...!" She told us. I will have to admit, I wish I would have known that I could have gotten a waiver! There were a few parts of the training program that I would have absolutely loved to have missed. But what all of this does mean is she has absolutely no idea about the post-mission briefing waiting for us! She gets bored sitting in the conference room for the pre-mission briefings, crew training schedules. Those meetings only take about thirty to forty-five minutes. It's the post-mission briefings that can last for days! Those are going to drive her insane.

yx31Wqt.jpg

Her enthusiasm for space flight and this mission has really had a positive impact on myself and Karloff. "Commander, I like her..." Karloff stressed. "I'm not sure if it's her, the fact that Aldas is not our problem any more, or that we have this new crew module, but this mission is really more enjoyable." I do agree with most of his assessment, but I believe his interest in Gilti goes beyond just having her as a member of our crew. And I'm pretty certain that he's up against some pretty stiff competition - Jebediah and J. Jim. I just hope that it doesn't end up messing with the cohesion of our team.

Yesterday morning, as we began our orbital insertion burn, our on-board radar briefly picked up an object in orbit of Minimus. We sent the data to Kuzzter, along with updated telemetry readings in the mid-day data packet. "Roger, Minimus 3, we have the data packet." Kuzzter's voice was heard through the static. "Gene thinks you've caught Minimus Explorer 1, after all, it's in a higher orbit and traveling more quickly than you are. Keep monitoring it; we'll do the same." Gilti still maintains the radar image was a bit too large to be a satellite, but until we can get a visual confirmation, I think we're better off to trust Gene's judgment.

nYO1FfF.jpg

Y3ETUyc.jpg

Eog0OzW.jpg

At what would have been an hour before dawn at the KSC, we - myself and Karloff -  began our descent to the surface of Minimus. The Minimus Excursion Lander performed beyond what we experienced in the simulator. I still clearly remember the first Münar mission I was a part of; the landing maneuvers were a bit intense. For what ever reason, our landing here, while still exciting, was pretty smooth. Within thirty minutes of the beginning of our descent, we made contact with the surface of Minimus. "Mission Control, this is Minimus 3. We have landed..." and with that brief radio transmission from Karloff, we had announced we were the first Kerbals to land on Minimus.

ndRuNgJ.jpg

We're now on the surface of Minimus - just a hatch and ladder away from the surface of Minimus. Following the instructions relayed to us by Bobak, we are to remain in the lander for another two hours. No reason than to get accurate readings about surface conditions before we go out. I'll admit, I am getting as restless as Karloff sitting in the lander with the surface of Minimus waiting for us right outside. Compared to the surface of Kerbin, the surface of Minimus appears to be barren and cold. We began going through our procedures checklist so that when we are able to leave the lander there won't be any long delays. We've deactivated RCS and the main engine. About ten minutes ago we contacted Gilti, still orbiting Minimus, to let her know of our status. I could hear the excitement in her voice.

"Sir, I'm waiting right here... and I am looking forward to my trip to the surface... If you want to come back early and start the second excursion early, I'm ready!" Gilti eagerly offered.

"Commander, I think she's way too enthused about the first part of this expedition coming to an end." Karloff added. "Look, I am watching the chronometer and I'm not going to let you take off one second before our scheduled time is up. I want to enjoy my time on Minumus!" I can hardly blame him. I'm just glad that I'll be able to spend both excursion missions on the surface rather than having to remain behind and monitor the command and crew habitation modules.

Since the announcement was made nearly four years ago that the Grand Committee had authorized the creation of two sub-committees, the Committee on Aeronautics and Spaceflight and the Committee on Space Exploration and Colonization, I have dreamed about being among the first - of being the first - Kerbal to step foot on Minimus. For the next two hours, everything I've dreamed of waits for me right outside the lander window!

Gf6Ap4l.jpg

I've had a chance to go through the latest data packet sent by Bobak. It seems that once the small glyphs on the monolith were imaged, it's study would be transferred to the sciences department at the center. According to what Bobak had put in the data packet, Thompberry didn't take it too well. The only thing that prevented another argument from erupting between Gene and Thompberry was the reminder from Dr. Haywood. "Thompberry, the center needs its chief engineer focusing on what's going on here... and keeping our kids safe..."

"Dr. Haywood, I understand. But Bill was more than just one of the kids..." Thompberry spoke. "He was a good friend... I have to know what happened to him..."

"Thomp, we're going to find out what happened to him. And if at all possible, we will bring him back." Gene added. "We all feel that way about Bill - and every other person we put into orbit."

"Major, we will get answers." Dr Haywood added. "Those glyphs you discovered - the small ones that looked like little shrunken heads - are nearly identical to the ones the team discovered at Tulum Altun Ha. We aren't sure what they mean, but we are fairly confident they are somehow related." And with that, the video portion of the data packet ended.

We still have an hour and a half before we can step out onto the surface of Minimus. I'm going to sign off and complete the rest of the checklist before our scheduled EVA.

Another good chapter with some interesting character work and a nice looking Minmus lander design.
On the character work, I've been wary of Gilti for a while (I'm a harsh critic so I was on "Sue watch", don't worry I do it to a lot of things, there's also a reason I "like" each instalment of this, it really is good in my eyes) but I think I can relax now, she seems to be shaping up as a good character. On that point, that characterisation (hyper enthusiastic, absolutely loves being in space) is an impression I often get from Kerbals. Keep up the good work.

Aku

Edited by AkuAerospace

10 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Great chapter!

(Shame we couldn't get a Thompberry status update, but oh well)

I actually thought about that for a while. But do it based off the style of the old television show, Emergency! In case you'v never watched it, here's the entire first episode:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, AkuAerospace said:

Another good chapter with some interesting character work and a nice looking Minmus lander design.
On the character work, I've been wary of Gilti for a while (I'm a harsh critic so I was on "Sue watch", don't worry I do it to a lot of things, there's also a reason I "like" each instalment of this, it really is good in my eyes) but I think I can relax now, she seems to be shaping up as a good character. On that point, that characterisation (hyper enthusiastic, absolutely loves being in space) is an impression I often get from Kerbals. Keep up the good work.

Aku

Thanks about the lander design. The only real complaint I have is the second stage is still on the craft. However, I cannot stand to jettison it until the return trajectory has been acquired and the Kerbin intercept puts it into an orbit of 100Km. Essentially, one of the reasons I added the SRBs to the side is to allow it to retain more fuel to refuel the Minimus Lander between excursions. In theory, it should work well. 

Oh, I understand... but the big smile you see on her face has been there since launch. So, I decided to run with it... and is why I added the dimension of her requesting to skip the LKO flights. Yes, unusual for my space program, but then again, she's Gilti. One thing I have tried to do is to let their individual personalities shine through. She's turning out to be one of those Kerbals who loves the excitement of being in space - which her raw love for space exploration actually complements Karloff's professionalism and perfectionist attitude. Both of them help support the dreamer and realist in Kerny... which I am sure will give us all a great ride as we share in their adventures.

And there's been a few Kerbals I've sent into orbit that had the "oh, what have I done... wait... I want out!" look on their face during lift-off. It does settle down in orbit, but as soon as either docking or reentry is approaching, they go back into panic mode. Most of these end up getting the "ground expeditionary" or "naval" designation. I keep them all straight by the mod, Final Frontier, and some custom graphic work I've done. Maybe I need to share those ribbons, too!

Neidon 15, Y003
"You've got to take the time to enjoy the simple pleasures each mission offers..."
Chapter 30

It has been two days since our final departure from the surface of Minimus. As per our mission briefings, I did make two landings and exploratory missions to the surface. Each mission I also took a different crew member with me and allowed them to handle liftoff and docking maneuvers once the surface exploration objectives were met. The idea behind this is so that another mission, like what happened with Karloff and myself with Aldas, will never happen again. Dr. Haywood and Gene want each member of my crew, including me, to be proficient enough at the other crew positions that in case of something catastrophic, the mission could still continue and the remaining crew members could get back to Kerbin safely.

Er8qtEr.jpg

The first mission, with Karloff, went well.  Once our two-hour wait period was over, we made our way to the surface of Minimus. Karloff took a few surface samples while I planted the flag of the United Republic of Kerbin. The most challenging part of our mission was setting up the remote camera for the pictures and video feed requested by Dr. Haywood. The lander performed remarkably well - better than the one used in the simulators back at the KSC. Once Karloff was able to complete his sample-collecting of the surface around the lander, he was tired and more than ready to return to the crew compartment in orbit around Minimus.

9Lv3pp8.jpg

I remained behind for nearly fifteen minutes just looking out towards the horizon. From what Gene said in one of our pre-mission briefings, eventually the Committee on Space Exploration and Colonization would set up two colonies on Minimus. Although there was no time table discussed for the construction, we were told that the first Münar colony was already in the planning stage. By the end of the year, Gene and Dr. Haywood said the colony would start small at first with only a crew quarters module, a science lab, and a greenhouse. It would be crewed by four at first. Eventually, according to what Dr. Haywood told us, the colony would become the home of fifteen, producing fuel for itself and for craft landing at the colony. I can only imagine that a similar pattern will be used for the two bases planned for Minimus.

NhVa2ms.jpg

After nearly three and a half hours on the surface, and within the orders specified in the mission briefings, we left the surface of Minimus to rendezvous with the crew compartment orbiting above. Although Minimus had been explored with orbital survey satellites, the data did not give us a complete picture of what to expect. The gravity was much less than was expected and we were able to achieve orbit with the main engine at ten percent throttle. Within minutes, we were high above the surface and had achieved orbit with far less fuel expended than what we experienced in the simulators.

The next morning, Gilti and I prepared for our descent to the surface. The second landing site was on an area known as the Great Flats. The landing site selected for our second surface excursion was a portion of the Flats that extend south of the equator. Because of the position of the orbiting craft at our departure, we arrived at our landing site. I was thankful that the engineers at the center listen to the advice of Jebediah and added lights to the bottom of the lander. It did make our pre-dawn landing a lot easier.

ErxlLG7.jpg

Just as with the first surface excursion mission, we had a two-hour wait time before we could leave the lander module. I'm not sure why Dr. Haywood wanted us to wait that long since we already knew the surface conditions. Before our two-hour period was over, I noticed Kerbol - or at least the first traces of its light - could be seen across the horizon. I couldn't wait any longer and made the decision to watch Kerbol rise above the horizon outside the lander. "Sir, can you really do that?" Gilti asked.

"What's Gene going to do?" I asked. "It's not like Gene's here to stop us. Not to mention that, but as the mission's commander, why can't I make a decision to leave the lander early - if it benefits the mission?" And with that comment, I opened the lander door, extended the ladder, and stepped down on the surface of Minimus.

"How is leaving the lander going to benefit this part of our mission, Commander?" Gilti asked as she followed me down the ladder.

"One thing I've learned from Major Thompberry - you've got to take the time to enjoy the simple pleasures each mission offers..." and with that comment, we were on the surface. Gilti and I stood there for nearly ten minutes, watching Kerbol rise into the black and cold sky of Minimus.

0S9FCkI.jpg

7aKscjo.jpg

"Guys," we could hear Bobak's voice through our helmet radios. "Gene wants to know why our board is showing the lander hatch was opened nearly an hour and ten minutes before the EVA was scheduled to begin..."

Gilti looked at me, her puzzled face clearly visible through the glass of her helmet. "Yes, Bobak, that's correct. We began our EVA before the scheduled time. There were... ah..." After all, how do I explain the reason why we began our EVA early is because I wanted to enjoy the scenery?

"Roger, Minimus Lander," this time, the voice on the other end was Gene's. "Next time you want to go site seeing, just let us know first..."

"Commander how did he know that? My gods, Bobak is right...Gene...does know...everything!" I couldn't tell if Gilti was merely adding to the festivities of the moment or really in that much awe of Gene. She didn't realize that not only had I heard her comment but that everyone in the control room on Kerbin heard what she said. We both could hear the laughter over our helmet radios.

"No, it is just that after having to deal with four permanent crews before us... Gene knows us pretty well." After all, we were the fifth permanent crew and Gene's seen about everything and has heard every excuse we could possibly have given him. Gene told us to go ahead and complete the remaining tasks of our excursion mission.

Just as Gene told us to do, we completed the tasks and surface surveys ordered in our mission briefings. After nearly three hours in the surface and a two hour EVA, we had completed every goal of the mission and began planning for our ascent back to the waiting craft in orbit.

kZCNQLG.jpg

Just as with the previous surface excursion and in accordance with the mission objectives, I took the back seat and allowed Gilti to pilot the lander from the surface and complete the docking procedures. Within twenty minutes, the lander was filled with the sounds of the magnetic clamps sealing the two vehicles together.

"Mission control, this is Minimus 3. We've achieved final hard dock..." Protocol required that me, as the mission commander, give this required report. It's a bittersweet moment - yes, we were able to achieve docking in orbit - but it means that this part of the mission is completed. It also meant our return to Kerbin was the next and final phase of our mission. Our planned trajectory will take us nearly ten days to return to Kerbin.

"Roger, Minimus 3. Commander Kerny, Bobak has sent you another data packet. Next scheduled transmission is in four days..." Kuzzter's voice was heard over the static. I noticed the data packet awaiting download was larger than the previous data packets we'd received since this mission began. I opened the first message within the data packet and was greeted with something I never expected.

mvHCAaG.jpg

PJhlvgN.jpg

The images of Eve were the last thing I expected to be included in the data packet! About seven months before I joined the Kerbalnaut training program, Eve Explorer I was launched with the goal to conduct a orbital survey of the terrain beneath the thick clouds. Since my arrival to the space center, I've not had a lot of free time between training, watching The Saga of Emiko Station, the test pilot program, and researching the whole alien craft thing, I've simply not kept up with this particular mission's progress. Now, some eighteen months later, the probe has achieved orbit and has started to relay data about Eve's surface. It will be exciting to see what we can learn about this planet.

There's still no change in the status of the Duna Explorer 1 but as Bobak's note within the data packet stated, there's still another four months before it will arrive at it's objective. The Committee on Space Exploration and Colonization has already scheduled two more probe lanches - one for Eve and one for Duna - that will have some sort of lander probes. I'm not sure of all the particulars, but according to is summary, the idea is to be able to take actual pictures and readings of the surface and to get an idea of what it will be like to land larger craft - even ones capable of having a crew - to these planets.

gSb8MsI.jpg

The data packet from Bobak contained a new schedule of missions for the next three months. Right now, as we are inbound from Minimus, a mission named Münar Surveyor 3 was nearly a day into its mission. It was being crewed by Genemy, Maxgy, and commanded by Irtrice. According to the information within the data packet, the mission had three main objectives - to check out another anomaly discovered on the surface by the orbital surveyor satellite, to find a suitable location for the first Münar colony, and to bring back more samples of the Münar surface.

0L7HMOb.jpg

The launch happened about three hours before Kerbolrise at the KSC and was, in the words of Bobak, nearly flawless. A different trajectory plan, based on the last mission to Minimus flown by Karloff, Aldas, and myself, was put into place. If all is correct, it will shorten the time spent in transition between Kerbin and the Mün. According to calculations by Gilti, they will reach their destination nearly three days before we achieve high Kerbin orbit.

0opsQvS.jpg

According to the schedule, our next mission will be two weeks - roughly twenty days - once we return to Kerbin. It will be another mission to Minimus, this time to land at a site where an anomaly has been detected on the surface. Right now, they aren't sure if it is another alien space craft or if it is another monolith, but the Minimus Surveyor 2 picked it up while we were conducting our second surface survey. There are some other things planned for our next mission. Dr. Wernher and Gene have already been discussing our preliminary report and about changing the configuration of the crew module for our next mission.

My watch begins in the next ten minutes and it's easy to tell Gilti is getting restless in the command module. For the third time in three hours, she has rotated the craft along its horizontal axis. At this point in our mission, it doesn't really matter much, just as long as our antennae can make signal contact with Kerbnet. I'm sure Gene is going to tell us to watch our monopropellant levels once I call in at the shift change.