How to land on spinning planets/moons

KSP Bro AE

So, I bet you have been in the situation where you picked out a perfect landing spot, made a maneuver node, executed it perfectly, and then the moon/planet turns, and you miss it. :(

This is the solution I came up with: 

1. Get into an inclined orbit that will go above the selected landing spot.
  2. *VERY IMPORTANT* When above landing site, switch your speed to Surface mode, and thrust retrograde until velocity is zero. (not most fuel-friendly)
  3. Land!

This can actually help you land on that fast-spinning moon in the planet factory mod... 

Edited by KSP Bros

I usually try to keep my eyeballing game on point. So, my method to nail landing sites is squinting really hard, and hoping for the best. Works well for the Mun and Minmus, and Duna too, but I often have to divert to the island runway on Kerbin.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

It just so happens that, occasionally, my crew has to walk half the circumference of the planet (or a bit more if they start in the wrong direction).

Edited by Shpaget

2 hours ago, SargeRho said:

I usually try to keep my eyeballing game on point. So, my method to nail landing sites is squinting really hard, and hoping for the best. Works well for the Mun and Minmus, and Duna too, but I often have to divert to the island runway on Kerbin.

How do you mean eyeballing?

1 hour ago, KSP Bros said:

How do you mean eyeballing?

Throw your eyeball out the window, see where it lands then land on top of it. :^).

19 minutes ago, insert_name said:

pretty sure this is in the wrong section

Well, its like this, they changed the name of the group, and theoretically speaking, you could eyeball a landing on the moon, I scarcely remember a dude named Armstrong looking for a spot to land c.e. 1969 ish.

Oh. Rig

4 hours ago, PB666 said:

Throw your eyeball out the window, see where it lands then land on top of it. :^).

Well, its like this, they changed the name of the group, and theoretically speaking, you could eyeball a landing on the moon, I scarcely remember a dude named Armstrong looking for a spot to land c.e. 1969 ish.

Oh. Right

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.