Devnote Tuesday: Forums, letters and development

SQUAD

As an someone working in the ICT-sector, I understand your reasoning for the forum migration now.
In my view, there's almost nothing more important than a safe system.

Good work as always!
Hope the change in routine doesn't impact everyone's workflow to much. Programmers especially so...;)

7 hours ago, Mischief said:

I would wait months for every feature coming in 1.1 save for 64bit. That.... without that I can't really play the game anymore. I've fallen in love with all these mods but we just don't have enough available memory to spend the time together we need. It's a tragic love story, really. They're all so pretty! So smart! So charming! You can't ask me to choose!

I start at 3.2GB RAM usage and it slowly creeps up to 3.7GB until which I restart KSP myself before it crashes at an  inconvenient time - mainly the scence change memory leak seems to be responsible here

Also:

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

A question about ground scatter.

Do you have any plans on making all these rocks and trees actual objects instead of ghosts? Just got my hands on ED Horizons beta, and it's a very fun experience trying to avoid rocks while driving a rover. (Or just jumping over them using thrusters)

Another question would be if there are still memory leaks regarding ground scatter and edge highlighting (PPFX)?

1 hour ago, T-Bouw said:

As an someone working in the ICT-sector, I understand your reasoning for the forum migration now.
In my view, there's almost nothing more important than a safe system.

Good work as always!
Hope the change in routine doesn't impact everyone's workflow to much. Programmers especially so...;)

https://xkcd.com/1172/

Relevant as always ... :D

12 hours ago, worir4 said:

Just wondering is 1.1 going to have any graphical improvements, or just lighting improvements, or neither?

Unity 5 introduces physical based rendering (PBR). This technique allows for nicer looking models which don't look like plastic. Squad said they might update all stock parts to use this after releasing the update (but not now, it's too much work)

I guess modders will jump on PBR pretty fast. We might get some very pretty parts.

Before / After:
shadingComparison.jpg

3 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

I'll edit that to "original article" or something similar 

can you just delete it as it doesnt provide "other" information at all?

Some ppl just want to get their information from the forum - if they'd want to go to tumblr, they would do that on their own.

Showing that the things are "original" posted there - is... naahh, personally i dont like it. ;)

25 minutes ago, Speadge said:

can you just delete it as it doesnt provide "other" information at all?

Some ppl just want to get their information from the forum - if they'd want to go to tumblr, they would do that on their own.

Showing that the things are "original" posted there - is... naahh, personally i dont like it. ;)

Just be happy they post it here at all, instead of their twitter or on the reddit

JK, they have been much better as of late

Edited by r4pt0r

9 minutes ago, r4pt0r said:

Just be happy they post it here at all, instead of their twitter or on the reddit

JK, they have been much better as of late

Could we not use comic sans please :huh:? The forums are hard enough to deal with on mobile without that eyesore of a font. 

36 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Could we not use comic sans please :huh:? The forums are hard enough to deal with on mobile without that eyesore of a font. 

as HIS signature makes the forum way worse than the stock experience... Those are the reason why i am happy about the NEW forum - i can hide signatures!

Edited by Speadge

48 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Hahaha, actually I find this font (Lucida Sans Unicode) as more annoying than the Comic Sans MS. But nothing says progress than the Courier New Font.

Since the update to 1.0.5, even with rendering, scatter, and quality turned as high as I can, I have seemed to have lost all the trees. Has anyone else have this happen? Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Edited by adsii1970

Thought I'd throw you Dev's a little feedback....

I'm 150 days into my new 1.0.5 career, and it's been GREAT!

I've started building a "contextual" space station, and have already gotten 3 expansion contracts.  Plus contracts to reposition satellites, and build a keosync. satellite network.  And I just got one to send my Mun rover off to do some stuff... that was a real fun surprise. 

Like all career games, the first few weeks were grindy, but the test and various temp or survey contracts are much more do-able than before.  No more flying halfway around Kerbin just to do a crew report.  It's a lot easier to complete half a dozen contracts in one well-planned flight, and actually make some decent money and reputation points early on.

So please take your time with 1.1.  I'm in no hurry now. This new contextual contract system is exactly what I've been waiting for, and will keep me more than busy, and happy, until you get 1.1 finished.

Thank you so very much for all your hard work!

15 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Also worth mentioning is Nathanael’s (NathanKell) bugbashing process. After reviewing the result of the mother of all merges he’s dived into fixing the fairing lift offset bug and an issue with engine water detection, as well as tackling an issue where parachutes would overestimate mach effects in low-density situations.

Meant to deprive us of the newfound underwater turbines without appropriate electro-prop substitutes?

1 hour ago, razark said:

Because every single time they've teased some sort of secret plans or deals, they've been met with rather underwhelming response when finally announced.

There are two types of KSP community responses, outrage and underwhelmed. The one or two times that an overwhelmingly positive response has been given are the exceptions that prove the rule.

6 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Meant to deprive us of the newfound underwater turbines without appropriate electro-prop substitutes?

Nope. It's just that the routine I added in 1.0.5 to detect when underwater (which can be modded to be enabled) has issues on bodies without ocean that nonetheless have terrain below "sea level". Blowfish and I ran into it when updating SolverEngines for 1.0.5. Derp.

As I've said before, we don't plan to disable underwater jets unless and until there's another option for y'all.

16 hours ago, KerbMav said:

I start at 3.2GB RAM usage and it slowly creeps up to 3.7GB until which I restart KSP myself before it crashes at an  inconvenient time - mainly the scence change memory leak seems to be responsible here

This is exactly my situation if I use Direct3D 11.  Direct3D 9 is even less stable.  With OpenGL I get slightly more playtime and usage starts around 2.6GB.  I've tried running 64 bit under multiple different Linux distros with variable results, but typically the same instability at a higher RAM usage threshold, but with initial RAM usage also at a higher level, pretty much rendering the same effect.  I would rather have a stable 64-bit implementation on Windows than any other feature right now...

Danny

23 hours ago, smjjames said:

I doubt it's 'indefinitely', but they don't want to be hobbled by a hard release date either.

well, no response from the guys the question was directed to is not comforting...

Danny

You know that 1.1 and Unity5 is planned, and that the developers are still active, hence the dev notes, so where you can come up with "postponed indefinitely" is frankly mind boggling :confused:

Things won't seem so bad if you lighten up ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.