Jimbodiah's NASA rockets

I have removed all the links as they have been updated and placed in a different topic here.

So...  I am into SciFi as well as realistic rockets, so thought it would be cool to try and duplicate some famous NASA rockets of the past and present. Hopefully I can showcase some nice builds in this thread for everyone to enjoy. I tend to use quite a number of mods, so i will list dependencies with each craft. Note that I almost exclusively use SSTU for the parts for this series as it contains configurable parts to keep part-count as low as possible.

Each .craft is ready to launch; it has been staged and custom action groups made where relevant.

orion_csm.jpg
Screenshot showing off SSTU's version of NASA's Orion platform on which most of these builds are based.

Links to mods:
- SSTU Labs [link]  Low part count modular components for all your rocket-building needs.
- FASA [link]  Real-world replica's of famous NASA rockets like Apollo and Gemini, tons of custom parts

Standard action groups:
- "Abort" will use the LAS to separate the capsule (you will need to deploy chutes manually)
- "1" will eject cargo/CSM fairings, extend solar panels and turn on cabin lights

Mods I use (but not required for these .crafts unless otherwise noted)
- EVE (Environmental Visual Enhancements). Adds beautiful cloud layers to Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Jool and Laythe
- Scatterer. Adds haze and water textures to give a sense of depth and realism
- Chatterer. Adds cool coms-chatter and bleeps/blips to liven up the otherwise silent game play.
- MechJeb. Mechjeb is life. Does all the tedious stuff like flying rockets ;)
- Kerbal Reinforced Joints. Keep the Kraken at bay.
- Procedural Fairings. Automatically creates fairings in the shape needed.

nasa_logo.pngDelta IV Heavy with Orion (EFT-1) UPDATED 8-feb
- requires SSTU 0.3.28-pre2
- 14 parts

link removed

Spoiler

deltaIV_eft1_01.jpg

deltaIV_eft1_02.jpg

deltaIV_eft1_03.jpg

deltaIV_eft1_04.jpg

nasa_logo.pngSLS (Block 1) UPDATED 8-feb
- 16 parts

link removed

Spoiler

SLS_01.jpg

SLS_02.jpg

SLS_03.jpg

SLS_04.jpg

nasa_logo.pngAres I (Constellation Program) UPDATED 8-feb
- 12 parts

The Ares I and Ares V form a pair of rockets in a new Lunar mission proposal. The Ares V will send the Lunar lander into a low earth orbit together with the stage that will send it, and the Orion command module, to the moon. The Ares I will follow the Ares V and send up the Orion capsule together with the crew for the Lunar mission. More info can be found here.

link removed

Spoiler

AresI_01.jpg

AresI_02.jpg

AresI_03.jpg

AresI_04.jpg

nasa_logo.pngAres V (Constellation Program) UPDATED 8-feb
- requires Procedural Fairings
- 30 parts

Launches the EDS (Earth Departure Stage) and the LEM (Lunar Excursion Module)

link removed

Spoiler

AresV_01.jpg

AresV_02.jpg

AresV_03.jpg

AresV_04.jpg

AresV_05.jpg

nasa_logo.pngSaturn V (coming soon)
- xx parts

Do I need to explain what this one does? :)

link removed

nasa_logo.pngJupiter III NEW feb-8
- xx parts

Super heavy lifter using two shuttle main tanks with boosters for the first stage. This is an interesting design with 3 stages in a unique setup to reduce height.

link removed

Spoiler

JupiterIII_01.jpg JupiterIII_02.jpg JupiterIII_03.jpg JupiterIII_04.jpg JupiterIII_05.jpg JupiterIII_06.jpg JupiterIII_07.jpg

Edited by Jimbodiah

On December 1, 2015 at 19:51:38, Jimbodiah said:

Squad is all about "adding more boosters" :) 

If only they were all about Adding Larger Boosters too. Four (separatron doesn't count) SRBs isn't really enough, especially considering how many liquid fuel engines there are.

Nice rockets, by the way. Where'd you find that Orion?

Staying stock is no option unless you want to have huge part counts or look like a cheap comic book. I'm more into real-life rocketry and low part counts.

The Orion and basically all the parts in these crafts are in the SSTU mod. It has all the parts you need from engines to tanks to capsules to landers to a large selection of real-world engine types. All the parts are based on NASA components from the past to the present. Really awesome, you'll never look to stock parts again ;)  It's in beta, but I have been running them for several versions now without any issues.

Tonight I recorded a complete Lunar mission with the Ares I and V, just need to edit it all and make a comprehensive video. It will showcase the two Ares rockets above. I'll add the Ares V later tonight.

Edited by Jimbodiah

Ah, I'll be sure to look into that mod! I do play with mods (my favorite is Tantares), however any craft I release on Th Spacecraft Exchange are stock unless necessity dictates otherwise (see my Tow Glider in sig) so that more people can access them without having to install mods they do not need/want. Of course, I usually build planes or ships, not spacecraft (with one notable exception).

How about you try an Atlas? Not a modern one, I'm talking about the ICBM used to launch Mercury. You can later upgrade it to an Atlas-Agena, and possibly build some Mariner probes and an Agena Target Vehicle.

Hell, if you like, I wouldn't mind doing spacecraft for you, it would be a nice break from biplanes and completely useless submarines.:wink:

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Typos fixed

There are tons of stock build, so I figured I'd do something different :)

The FASA mod actually has all the parts for those rockets I think, it focusses more on the Gemini/Atlas style rockets and also has some ICBMs in there (with fake nukes and all). My upcoming Saturn V will use FASA's Apollo parts as they are absolutely gorgeous.

I could definitely do some of the earlier rockets like the Atlas (Gemini missions).

apollo_01.jpg
(yes, the LEM is upside down, it would not attach on the top in the hangar)

apollo_02.jpg
The Apollo capsule with parachute cover jettisoned and flotation devices deployed. A++ modelling.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm, I will check, should only be stock + sstu. Does it say which part when you load it anyway?

Ah wait... There was a small SSTU update just an hour ago as the J2X cluster was not added (I made one myself so my craft worked, the new SSTU version also has the J2X clusters now). You may have to re-download. These builds are fresh as can be from the new version :)

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 02.12.2015. at 0:05 AM, Jimbodiah said:

I have removed all the links as they have been updated and placed in a different topic here.

So...  I am into SciFi as well as realistic rockets, so thought it would be cool to try and duplicate some famous NASA rockets of the past and present. Hopefully I can showcase some nice builds in this thread for everyone to enjoy. I tend to use quite a number of mods, so i will list dependencies with each craft. Note that I almost exclusively use SSTU for the parts for this series as it contains configurable parts to keep part-count as low as possible.

Each .craft is ready to launch; it has been staged and custom action groups made where relevant.

orion_csm.jpg
Screenshot showing off SSTU's version of NASA's Orion platform on which most of these builds are based.

Links to mods:
- SSTU Labs [link]  Low part count modular components for all your rocket-building needs.
- FASA [link]  Real-world replica's of famous NASA rockets like Apollo and Gemini, tons of custom parts

Standard action groups:
- "Abort" will use the LAS to separate the capsule (you will need to deploy chutes manually)
- "1" will eject cargo/CSM fairings, extend solar panels and turn on cabin lights

Mods I use (but not required for these .crafts unless otherwise noted)
- EVE (Environmental Visual Enhancements). Adds beautiful cloud layers to Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Jool and Laythe
- Scatterer. Adds haze and water textures to give a sense of depth and realism
- Chatterer. Adds cool coms-chatter and bleeps/blips to liven up the otherwise silent game play.
- MechJeb. Mechjeb is life. Does all the tedious stuff like flying rockets :wink:
- Kerbal Reinforced Joints. Keep the Kraken at bay.
- Procedural Fairings. Automatically creates fairings in the shape needed.

nasa_logo.pngDelta IV Heavy with Orion (EFT-1) UPDATED 8-feb
- 14 parts

link removed

Reveal hidden contents

deltaIV_eft1_01.jpg

deltaIV_eft1_02.jpg

deltaIV_eft1_03.jpg

deltaIV_eft1_04.jpg

nasa_logo.pngSLS (Block 1) UPDATED 8-feb
- 16 parts

link removed

Reveal hidden contents

SLS_01.jpg

SLS_02.jpg

SLS_03.jpg

SLS_04.jpg

nasa_logo.pngAres I (Constellation Program) UPDATED 8-feb
- 12 parts

The Ares I and Ares V form a pair of rockets in a new Lunar mission proposal. The Ares V will send the Lunar lander into a low earth orbit together with the stage that will send it, and the Orion command module, to the moon. The Ares I will follow the Ares V and send up the Orion capsule together with the crew for the Lunar mission. More info can be found here.

link removed

Reveal hidden contents

AresI_01.jpg

AresI_02.jpg

AresI_03.jpg

AresI_04.jpg

nasa_logo.pngAres V (Constellation Program) UPDATED 8-feb
- requires Procedural Fairings
- 30 parts

Launches the EDS (Earth Departure Stage) and the LEM (Lunar Excursion Module)

link removed

Reveal hidden contents

AresV_01.jpg

AresV_02.jpg

AresV_03.jpg

AresV_04.jpg

AresV_05.jpg

nasa_logo.pngSaturn V (coming soon)
- xx parts

Do I need to explain what this one does? :)

link removed

nasa_logo.pngJupiter III NEW feb-8
- xx parts

Super heavy lifter using two shuttle main tanks with boosters for the first stage. This is an interesting design with 3 stages in a unique setup to reduce height.

link removed

Reveal hidden contents

JupiterIII_01.jpg JupiterIII_02.jpg JupiterIII_03.jpg JupiterIII_04.jpg JupiterIII_05.jpg JupiterIII_06.jpg JupiterIII_07.jpg

can i get the download link for Delta IV Heavy with Orion (EFT-1) ? :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.