New Apollo17.org is live in time for the 43rd anniversary of the mission

Sunshine

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,
Thanks for the post. I'm the guy behind apollo17.org. It has been a hell of a lot of work and it's great to come across people who have discovered it.

I'm excited to say that I'm almost ready to publish v1.0 of the site, in time for the anniversary of the mission (December 6). I'll be sure to post here when it's live.

Thanks again,
Ben

[quote name='bfeist']Hi guys,
Thanks for the post. I'm the guy behind apollo17.org. It has been a hell of a lot of work and it's great to come across people who have discovered it.

I'm excited to say that I'm almost ready to publish v1.0 of the site, in time for the anniversary of the mission (December 6). I'll be sure to post here when it's live.

Thanks again,
Ben[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Ben! That is great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
I'm happy to announce that after years of archival and software development work, http://apollo17.org is live.
You may recall that I launch a prototype of the site this past spring, well now the real deal is up.

The site concept is to give the general public the chance to experience NASA's last Apollo mission in real-time.
If you visit during the anniversary (starting this Sunday evening, Dec 6) you can join the mission in-progress as it happened exactly 43 years ago to the second.

I hope you all enjoy it. Comments and suggestions welcomed.
Please spread the word if you're so inclined. I'm hoping many people try it.https://twitter.com/BenFeist/status/671922964170870784

Ben

Just took a peek at it. I don't think I can accurately describe how blown away I am by the insane amount of detail. The pictures with their original ID numbers shown as they were taken? If I wasn't told otherwise I would have assumed this came straight from NASA's PR department!

Slightly off topic: I wonder if my computer can run Realism Overhaul for a couple days straight, if you know what I mean

It's now officially the 43rd anniversary of the mission!

Between Dec 6th, 9:55pm EST and Dec 19th 3:29pm EST (when the mission ends), this link: http://apollo17.org/?t=rt will drop you into the mission exactly 43 years ago to the second.

The crew might be working, eating, walking on the moon, or even sleeping. At any time you can jump out of "real time" mode and explore the whole experience, or click to sync back up with today's date an time to continue along.

A friend and I created this site independently. There's no commercial aspect to it, and it's not officially affiliated with NASA. I hope the world takes interest, for at least long enough to pause and remember that for the next 13 days exactly 43 years ago, we reached the pinnacle of human space exploration. Please share if you like it.

Moments ago.  I think this just might be a maneuver node (correction burn), old school style.  This was read aloud by Mission Control for input and read back for confirmation.

Purpose: DOI-1, SPS/G&N; 40035; plus 1.90, minus 0.64; 093:11:36.60. NOUN 81's minus 01916, all balls for DELTA-Vy. DELTA-Vz, is plus 0047-8; 000, 228, 000; 0058.9, plus 0014.5; 0197.4, 0:22, 0192.1; sextant star is 45, 187.5, 19-1. Let me say trunnion again; it's 19-1. The rest of the pad is not applicable. Set stars will be Sirius and Rigel; 133, 200, 030. Four jet, 15 second on the ullage. Other comments: overburn limits, DELTA-V one seven - 17 feet per second; burn time, 2 seconds. Over.

I check in several times a day.  Great job, @bfeist

Edited by Trann

I'm really glad you like the site. If you know anyone else who might like it, please pass it along. I'm having trouble getting the word out.

That series of numbers you posted is called a PAD, which is basically manoeuver instructions to get into a return trajectory in case they lose communications with Earth. There's a great book called How Apollo Flew to the Moon that goes into this level of detail to explain what everything is. It's a great book.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎37‎:‎40‎, Trann said:

Moments ago.  I think this just might be a maneuver node (correction burn), old school style.  This was read aloud by Mission Control for input and read back for confirmation.

Purpose: DOI-1, SPS/G&N; 40035; plus 1.90, minus 0.64; 093:11:36.60. NOUN 81's minus 01916, all balls for DELTA-Vy. DELTA-Vz, is plus 0047-8; 000, 228, 000; 0058.9, plus 0014.5; 0197.4, 0:22, 0192.1; sextant star is 45, 187.5, 19-1. Let me say trunnion again; it's 19-1. The rest of the pad is not applicable. Set stars will be Sirius and Rigel; 133, 200, 030. Four jet, 15 second on the ullage. Other comments: overburn limits, DELTA-V one seven - 17 feet per second; burn time, 2 seconds. Over.

I check in several times a day.  Great job, @bfeist

OK, so we know about DeltaV, burn time.

Can anyone explain that entire thing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.