-Career Fixes Discussion-

Hello! I would like to remind everyone that suggestions should be entered into the Google forms page. :D

To the person who recently entered a suggestion: Copy pasting is ok. ;)

Anyway, if anybody wants to discuss stuff related to this thread, go ahead and post here. Suggestions are strictly for the forms.

• 3 months later...

Career Improvement Suggestion:

- Allow conversion of up to all funds to science and vice versa with an in-game GUI (not strategy) right from the beginning.

- Allow players to purchase science for funds to acquire the necessary science when unlocking a node if they are at a deficit.

- Make any conversion fee tied to the player's reputation.

- Allow an option to allow players to get paid daily Kerbal funds (such as 10 funds) per 1 reputation point they have.

Edited by inigma

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this in a different thread and realized it makes more sense here....

think part of the tedium in career comes from the fact that you NEED money and science still to explore new things, and the easiest way to get it is to do missions you're already proficient at.

I've thought it would be interesting if, once you've done a certain mission type enough times, then you could accept those missions and they would be flown for you.  Maybe like the space tourist missions.  You designate the craft to be flown (after you've proven it can do it) and the pilot, and after that, they'll just regularly be sent up on their own.  You'll have to have enough funds for fuel and the pilot available, but then it becomes steady income without you having to fly it yourself.  Almost like actually managing a space program...

• 5 months later...

Career Mode addendum suggestion:

Goal/Walkthrough/Tutorial mode

This would add a select-able goal for a new game such as 'Landing on the Mun' or 'Duna Colony' all the way up to 'Grand Tour' (which would include round trips to every solid body in the system).

The primary effect would be a Kerbal in the KSC who provides advice on what you can do next to work towards your specified goal.

If you are low on funds, they may suggest you look for some easy contracts in the admin building

If you have not made it to space, they may make rocket building suggestions(multiple stages with solid fuel boosters only in the first stage)

If you are ready to go interplanetary but have a low level tracking station, they could recommend upgrading that.

If you have gotten suborbital but not yet orbital, they may suggest researching a vacuum engine like the terrier, or recommending a multi-stage approach(possibly with advice on a gravity turn)

After achieving the goal you selected at game creation, you would get a message akin to 'Congratulations, you have successfully completed <goal>. now the next objective is up to you'.  At that point the advice kerbal would go away and you would continue in normal career mode.

This could help players who don't know how to proceed or want a specified goal in their career.

I would expect that most of the advice would be fairly basic/straight-forward and only really act as a reminder for experienced players, but could provide some much needed help for new players who do not know the game very well.

perhaps, but it seems like exactly the right thread to post it on, so better to keep everything together.

Addendum: What if the advice Kerbal also popped up on the launch-pad/air-strip with a 'Are you sure you want to launch with <list of critical warnings from engineer's report>' message and disappears when you hit space to launch?  

Seems like a reasonable thing for a training-wheels type setting...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its slightly off-topic, but I would like to suggest: 

-Add more variety to the flavor text for various scientific tools. 

There are just so many science gathering texts that are identical to each other aside.  Heck, all the EVA reports on Kerbin are basically either "you didn't really need a space suit to get here" or "this is a precarious situation."

Also, maybe reword some of the texts, like with the air pressure barometer, to indicate they are maybe able to also pick up solar particules or micrometeorites.  Because otherwise, there really isn't much reason we should keep getting science for just confirming that yes, the space in every part of the solar system has a vacuum in it (and heck, if nothing else, the 2HOT thermometer can at least pick up some heat being radiated by the ship and planet's surface despite the vacuum). 

In fact, why not just merge the barometer and thermometer into a single science tool, and replace the one that is no longer a thing with it being some other tool that is more useful in various situations. 

It relates somewhat to career since gathering of science is a very important aspect of the career modes, and it would be nice if it could be a bit more rewarding.

• 2 years later...

I've always found it weird that manufacturing firms like Zaltonic Electronics and Sean's Cannery offer tourism contracts. Perhaps there should be a few space tourism agencies, which offer nothing but tourism contracts, and tourist contracts from the other agencies would be rare or nonexistent. I started to set this up myself, except I discovered there's no way to specify in the configuration files for agencies or contracts to make any distinction between tourism agencies and parts manufacturers. I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement "Tourism" and "NoTourism" mentalities for agency configurations that would respectively increase or decrease the number of tourism contracts offered by agencies with those mentalities specified. Low-hanging fruit, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.