What I hate about KSP forums/IRC! (not a moan, don;t worry!)

kiwi1960

I'm one of the "young'uns" that are being talked about in this thread, though I've never said anything intentionally malicious in IRC. The oldest computer I've ever used is an Apple II and that's becaue one of my old teachers owned a bunch of them and kept them in his classroom with a bunch of old floppies. I can't give you any specific names or models beyond BBC Microcomputer, Sinclair, Amiga, Altair, and Commodore 64, and that's only because I've researched teletypes, punchcards, and old methods of telecommunication. I don't eschew old computation for being 'archaic" or "underpowered", I celebrate it because without them our modern computers wouldn't be here. I would also be excited if I had the opportunity to operate old computers.

I think it's pretty neat that middle-aged folks are playing KSP. At the end of the day, I don't care about your age, I care about your passion for KSP and/or space. Anybody who thinks less of somebody just because they're old is foolish.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Honestly I've never heard of such an experience before, not that I don't believe it. The KSP community is usually so docile... well, that's not the right word. :P A forum full of individuals with several hundred tons of steel and explosives sailing through the sky is hardly docile. XD I've (very) rarely seen users acting like you describe. Hopefully it won't happen again, though things like these are often inevitable.

It's odd, really, how much some people fail to grasp the concept of etiquette. At 17, it is something I find myself thinking of quite often. I have often found it best to simply leave these folks alone, since encouragement from arguing with them (As heating up an argument seems to be their goal) won't help the problem.

Regarding the disc... I had one on my wall.... till I stupidly gave it away to a wood turner for inserting into a wooden clock....

I think he sold it (including the clock) for a few hundred NZ Dollars soon after. That was a few decades ago now.

I also used to have a Sanyo "laptop" which would probably break your legs if you did try to put it on your lap!

I also had a 286 Compaq laptop which I absolutely loved..... lets see if I can find a photo of it...

rcm-062-big-Compaq-SLT286.jpg

I loved it as it had a detachable keyboard... this isn't exactly mine, this is just a photo I found of it, but thanks to that, I got the year 1988 !!!

(sigh) computers really have advanced in leaps and bounds, BUT, also gone backwards if you ask me. While the power is better, graphics and all that... they cannot ever gett he beauty of the old computers back again... these days, its just a box.... but that Compaq was..... brilliant. :)

2 hours ago, Rath said:

I'm sorry for existing.

(and you are probably mistaken about the average age of members of the forum--most are probably over 20. I'm an anomaly (13yrs old) not the norm.

OH COME ON NOW.... the main thing is that you're loving KSP ... what is not to like... join in this thread and lets have some fun....

OK, oldies to the left, young ones to the right... grab a weapon and get ready.... NOT... LOL.

FUN is our weapon, its the only form of violence that should be allowed in life. :)

Edited by kiwi1960

Well, most people didn't bother looking through the older side of the internet/computer engineering (since network wasn't massively available until Win3.11) by taking a look at the articles on old systems and such on Wikipedia. Curiosity stomps everything. :)

Edited by MegaUZI

@mega yup yup that precisely why i 350% stay away of it ; ) not that i ever had a talk with with: snow white, an'a frozen hearth or snowden but, i once had a talk with a retired, A ; ; ; "Legionnaire" all i can tell is that i'll never forget thoose talks behind the what he told me when i was very young scene ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... smile ... ... ... life is cool for ... ... most ... ...

Spoiler

3q3mrb.jpg * * * 

edit:

... "tell me: why are we so blind to see" ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
can even say i consider this guy i spent much more less than 1% of my life time as a spirtutal father more than my own biological one, wanna talk with me keep that in mind always xDr

ho ;  and also  nin in japanese "kinda refer too" childs/teen/youngster ... not that it might ever interest anyones but ... child(s) remain child(s) .... just shut up or listen ...  that your own choice ... CHILD .... after all ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

13 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

I started this as a FUN thread... not to start fights.... or point the finger... or make accusations.

The trouble is you started the thread by making accusations - inaccurate ones, since "youngsters" plural didn't do anything. One person did. Naturally regular IRC users (especially the ones who are more newly minted than my keyboard) felt the need to respond.

Likewise, if you don't want to debate the morality of war, don't start by making a bunch of statements about the morality of war and telling other people not to respond.

(I'm blowed if I know how to fix that giant block of whitespace in the quote).

13 hours ago, jros83 said:

blah blah Whatever makes you feel better.

Translation: "I was wrong, obviously wrong, but I'm not big enough to admit it".

I still go to school...

I warn you I am very mature for my age! I'm freaking serious, it is TORTURE when my classmates act like 5-year-olds. It seems like I'm the only one who pays attention to the news.

We just read a story about Apollo 11, and it was torture!

8 hours ago, damerell said:

The trouble is you started the thread by making accusations - inaccurate ones, since "youngsters" plural didn't do anything. One person did. Naturally regular IRC users (especially the ones who are more newly minted than my keyboard) felt the need to respond.

Likewise, if you don't want to debate the morality of war, don't start by making a bunch of statements about the morality of war and telling other people not to respond.

(I'm blowed if I know how to fix that giant block of whitespace in the quote).

Translation: "I was wrong, obviously wrong, but I'm not big enough to admit it".

True, but I did have to explain why the thread came about, the clue was in the title, and its still there; "Not a moan, don't worry" but also, I said what I hate ABOUT .... not WHO! Right?

5 hours ago, Gojira1000 said:

I'm 50-something and I just use the fabulous "ignore" button. Acknowledging trolls just makes them happy.

Unless you feel like counter-trolling. Which can be amusing.

Yes, I admit, I like trolling trolls at times. Its made me more than one enemy and cost me very very dearly... I now only troll those trolls that really deserve it. :)

I've seen some people I've thought of as kids and youngsters on the Internet, but turn out to be much older than I am.

Point is, an entire generation doesn't represent a few bratty and uncourteous youths on the Internet.. and it's not their fault they didn't experience the things older people did, either.

I'm very young, but I at least respect people, unlike many people. The IRC channel was horrible during the 3 days the forums were down, and the first computer I had was a Mac mini, a few years ago, but my friends and I play games seriously and not casually.

Okay, this isn't really a "what I hate about KSP topic", but it's more of a "complaints topic about kids in KSP."

Honestly, I'm a 18 year old and I guess I'm considered a pro at it. I know how to Rendezvous, dock, and do good transfers to moons and planets and just last month I finally got a good SSTO plane into Orbit without cheats. People (including my roommates) dislike the fact I use MJ now, well my philosophy is: "once you learn how to do it without MJ, use MJ because it just gets slow after a while." 

My little cousins love watching me play KSP, but almost every time they try, it gets painful. Like they think if they just go up they'll get into orbit. But who could blame them, honestly they're under 10 years old. 

38 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Okay, this isn't really a "what I hate about KSP topic", but it's more of a "complaints topic about kids in KSP."

Honestly, I'm a 18 year old and I guess I'm considered a pro at it. I know how to Rendezvous, dock, and do good transfers to moons and planets and just last month I finally got a good SSTO plane into Orbit without cheats. People (including my roommates) dislike the fact I use MJ now, well my philosophy is: "once you learn how to do it without MJ, use MJ because it just gets slow after a while." 

My little cousins love watching me play KSP, but almost every time they try, it gets painful. Like they think if they just go up they'll get into orbit. But who could blame them, honestly they're under 10 years old. 

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

Really? Is it? Mind reading the entire thread and you'll find out its neither.

can the Mods please lock this thread, sick and tired of people thinking this is a complaints thread. I'm done with it. maybe I should start a REAL complaints thread about people not bothering to read the posts... (sigh) ... what's the point. LOCK IT! :(

Edited by kiwi1960

14 hours ago, Flymetothemun said:

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

Amen to that. 

PS: I'm actually related to Benjamin Franklin (My Great-Great Aunt Confirmed it).

14 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

can the Mods please lock this thread, sick and tired of people thinking this is a complaints thread. I'm done with it. maybe I should start a REAL complaints thread about people not bothering to read the posts... (sigh) ... what's the point. LOCK IT! :(

Done. For future reference, it is better to report your OP to ask for a lock or ask in this thread, we aren't able to see every post.