What I hate about KSP forums/IRC! (not a moan, don;t worry!)

kiwi1960

I generally find small 10-person rooms to be far more enjoyable than large chat rooms. I've been in IRC channels for about 4 years now :P. I haven't yet been an op but if it doesn't require writing code I could probably handle it. If you are taking requests :).

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, damerell said:

Ever so telling, but you're wrong, kid. I could type well before you were born.

That's cute. That comment right there shows you are lying through your teeth. I am done with you. But feel free to keep making snarky comments after I finish responding, because everyone knows that is what mature adults do and it totally proves you could "type well before I was born."

Edited by jros83

11 hours ago, Kagame said:

Oh god. Geocities. That brings back way more than I thought I would

Those were the days. Back when ordinary-ish kids actually made websites. Sure, 90% of them were rubbish, but we tried. It was our own, we could do what we liked.

Nowadays that's all gone, and everyone's just posting on Twitbook and whatever. Handing over our stuff to Somebody Else's Website.

Just now, cantab said:

Those were the days. Back when ordinary-ish kids actually made websites. Sure, 90% of them were rubbish, but we tried. It was our own, we could do what we liked.

Nowadays that's all gone, and everyone's just posting on Twitbook and whatever. Handing over our stuff to Somebody Else's Website.

Ugh you are preaching to the choir my man.

Not true, not true. Today many are fiddeling around with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos and such things, which is way cooler than copying some gifs from another website to your own... oh, the animated background images, stars, blinking, how could you remind me of that...

12 minutes ago, cantab said:

Handing over our stuff to Somebody Else's Website.

Yep... *sigh* Part of me thinks that it's due to the not-so-recent changes to HTML that made you learn about half a dozen languages to do the same things in HTML 5 that you could do with 1 in HTML 3. Another part realizes that, by and large, the latest generation just... doesn't give enough of a damn to do something so involved. >_<

Free web hosting is still a thing, though- Freewebs is, last time I checked, alive and well, and Google Sites had a good market share for a while.

I'm 33 (got ID'd going into a club the other week, made my day!)

yes yes, kids these days, they're rude and unruly, ain't go no respect and they just won't get off my lawn! 
Does every generation need to point this out? Nothing changes, which either means we're all doomed, or they'll eventually, just like we did (mostly), grow out of it.

Spoiler

Yes it's true, much of the foundations of comp-sci and the net where created by (now) old folk, but that doesn't give everyone of their generation a claim to having laid those foundations themselves. 

C3HTFqT.png
(Huey is talking about something else, but you get my point)

Much of what I use for both my business and in my free time I do owe to a bunch of old geezers, but equally a lot of the really exciting new things are being developed by todays kids.  It's not about age, it's about having the inclination to put your ideas out there for others to use. 

I keep forgetting about KSP's IRC channel but on the few times I have been there it's just been a nice group of folk chatting about stuff. I actually wish I had more time to just hang out there.

On the slight side topic of tech from way back when; 
This is a disk from a computer that was put into my dad's office (via the roof with a crane) the year I was born (1982). DVD for scale.FnY3teM.jpg PO0U9PN.jpg
I don't know what it's capacity is, but I'm pretty sure it was under a mb. Could be used with devastating effect as melee weapon!! (which is about all it's good for these days). more pics

Edited by katateochi

Well I'm a 'young at heart' 54 (who's just googled IRC to find out what it meant) and the first computer I had access to was my dad's Sinclair ZX80, it had a whopping 1k RAM which could be expanded to 16k with a plug in RAM pack which was prone to wobbling and causing all your work to disappear.  The most effective way to stop it overheating and crashing was to get a an ice cold drink out of the fridge and balance it on the heat sink.  Then we progessed onto the ZX81 and then the ZX Spectrum.  How times have changed!

I had loads of fun learning the rudiments of programming on those, as I'm sure many professional programmers in my age group did (not that I am one, not even close).

Technology has changed but people haven't.  There's good and bad in all age groups, always was, always will be, although I can't comment on the IRC as I haven't used it.

Edited by pandaman

1 hour ago, jros83 said:

That's cute. That comment right there shows you are lying through your teeth. I am done with you.

What a pity! Why, with a little detective work, I'm sure you could have uncovered some inconsistency; I make little secret of my IRL identity.

For example, if you look at my KSP forum posts, you'll find a number of images all at URLs of the form http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/ksp/

From that you might deduce that my personal Webpage is at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/

Now, let us suppose I am younger than you - born in 1984, say, and apparently still take umbrage at being described as a youngster for some reason. So be it. Presumably I must have got a 1991 adult-size bicycle second hand, having little use for it when I was seven; gone on a work trip to Denmark aged 18 (not impossible, I suppose, and if you think I look 18 in those photos I sha'n't argue); had a Web page when I was eleven, and written a Doom level when I was ten.

"But", you say, "why should you not do those things?" Dig a little deeper, then; look at the included readme file in the zipfile of the Doom level I wrote in 1994. A Cambridge University email address?

Truly, there is no end to my deviousness. _Twenty years ago_ I, a ten year old boy, intentionally uploaded a Doom level to the idgames archive with a bogus email address in order that today I might claim on the KSP forums to have been at Cambridge in the mid 90s.

Or, y'know, there may be another explanation involving you being wrong. (Prediction made on IRC specific enough to be funny.)

Edited by damerell
I have no idea what means you can sometimes edit a forum post and sometimes not.

29 minutes ago, pandaman said:

There's good and bad in all age groups, always was, always will be, although I can't comment on the IRC as I haven't used it.

Come give the IRC a try. It really is nice, despite what this thread says.

Edited by Rokker

Age is kind of irrelevant on the internet. You shouldn't judge by age but by what you read. Then again judging a person by what they post on the internet is not a fair judgment IMHO. 

What I like about KSP is that it brings together people of all ages. I my self am 17 and it is great that i share the same interest as some one who is 55. Brings the generations together. :D

I don't understand this (These) posts.

I'm one of these "kids", but I would feel terrible if I was rude to anyone.

The people you are talking about are an exception, you don't see them everyday here.

I don't even see these people on IRC, and I'm there quite a bit.

I don't know what to say, I'm not offended, but it's just that I have never experienced this before.

DMSP

I have no issue with the OP complaining about a bad experience on IRC, but please don't assume that just because someone is obnoxious that means that they are young people. Some of the most obnoxious people I have had the misfortune to meet aren't exactly 'young'. 

In my experience no single generation can be defined by any subset of itself. Bragging about how 'your generation' did something is nonsensical because it is really very small minority of your generation that did the work, perhaps with the exception of populist movements, like the Civil Rights and Anti-Vietnam War movements. And besides the fact, the only reason why we can't brag about our generation having done this or that is because we haven't had the time to do anything spectacular. 

40 here, I did have a commodore 64 as a kid (with tape drive!) but it didn't get much use- once I went to the library, got a magazine with a program printed in it, spent a couple of hours typing it out, and it didn't work, which probably turned me off to programming forever.

First real computer was a G3 Mac, 350Mhz with 256MB RAM which I attempted to do 3D on- raydream studio, Maya PLE (Maya cost around $10,000 back then. It also had an entire library of a user manual, which it should for 10 grand), Blender, and Animation Master were the programs I tried, but wow talk about painful- crashes, and the documentation wasn't what is today, aka it was books haha. Back then one had to make special settings in MacOS, and I can't remember the name atm, basically unchecking programs that would run on boot to free up memory because pre-OSX memory management was non-existent. So I don't want to hear any complaints about any 32-bit limits!

Edit: also, it's really impressive that KSP even works, given that for a long time all physics sims had to be pre-baked, which was very computationally heavy. This real time stuff is insane, the fact that I can slap pieces together and make it work blows my mind.

Also, I got my hands on a copy of KSP alpha-alpha-alpha-alpha-pre-alpha, aka Moonsweeper :P

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

Rokker... it matters not who it is, the fact is, it gave me a chance to set the record straight, all in fun!!!

As for the war issue, that demonstrations didn't work? I disagree, and its where youth doesn't understand what it was really like.

There was a time when politicians would go to war without needing to explain why to anyone, such as WW1, soldiers were sent to France, a place they didn't know, a language they didn't know to kill people they didn't know and never knowing why they were fighting.

World War 2 was the last just war, I mean, it was needed. the Korean War was a fight between two political systems, and nothing was solved, except for a truce that has lasted for over 50 years. Then, the Vietnam war... TV meant the war was shown in everyone's living room, and although back and white, people... everyone... saw that the romantic notion of going to war for glory was a lie... protesters showed the politicians that they were not going to be used as pawns any more...

It worked! You say it hasn't? Well, war will always happen... any war since Vietnam.... The Falklands, Gulf 1, Gulf 2... etc etc... could have been 20 times bigger if politicians could impose the draft on its citizens like they used to in the old days, they have had to fight these wars with the army they had at the time... not the one they wanted...

If Iraq was bad.... it was, then think about this, it could have been 20 or more times worse.... thanks to the protests of the Hippy movement!

I say this NOT to start a debate... any attempts to debate this will be ignored.... TOTALLY!!!!

I merely wanted to set the record straight on someone's opinion that the protesters of the 60's wasted their time... the thing is, they were not EVER protesting against all wars... just the stupid ones between two political systems or over oil. They succeeded...

Maybe we should ask the Moderators to create an "old fogies" area so we can support each other playing KSP.... I mean, if the young ones wonder HOW we can play this, then really, we will NEED all the help we can get... right.... or at least, that is the idea... we can use the area to discuss KSP as it relates to oldies. :)

OH DEAR!!!!

I read page two and three.... I never saw them the first time round (blame my old eyes)

OK, STOP FIGHTING ALREADY!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to say this, but its mainly the young ones that are picking a fight here... why?

I did say I HOLD NO GRUDGES.... I wasn't "moaning" as seen in the title of the thread!

I started this as a FUN thread... not to start fights.... or point the finger... or make accusations.

I posted this as a FUN thread to point out that without us oldies, you young ones wouldn't have the super computers you do today, along with all the software.

That is, was, all. If I had posted the OP as a means to start a fight, then that would be against the rules, right? It was never my intention, so WHY are some of you being so disrespectful towards me by trying to start a fight over this?

Please, stop.... and have some fun, and join in the .... FUN ONLY "young VS old" thread...

"nuff said"

The old days...

My first computer was based on a CDP1802 microprocessor. It came as a kit which I soldered together, and it had 2 kB RAM and a TV modulation output which allow the display of 32 characters x 16 lines in "fast" mode and I think 50 characters x 20 lines in "high-resolution" mode. It had a 16-key keyboard and you programmed it in hex. It had a simple monitor and bytecode interpreter in a UV-EPROM. It had room for a few user-definable characters so you could make sprites for games.

Unfortunately I decided to go travelling and see the world not long after getting the thing so I never did much with it.

I believe the CPD1802 is still in use in comsats. It's very simple -- some people call it a "nanoprocessor".

I have a TV advert from the 1950's.... for a computer.... top of the line... I must post it here one day.

I'm slightly annoyed that some people have completely gotten it wrong in this thread.

I never said "IRC is crap" or ANYTHING like that.... I'd NEVER say that... and yes, I am VERY angry.

Maybe its the age of those making the posts, but even at that young age, is all they know "serious".... what about "fun"???

here's a few words for you.... LIGHTEN UP ALREADY!

This was supposed to be a fun thread but its been hijacked for evil intent. :( I'm sorry everyone. :(

7 hours ago, katateochi said:

FnY3teM.jpg PO0U9PN.jpg

Holy Mother of god well I have heard my stepdad using one of these but I've never seen one of these until now O_O. if they printed that same disk out with what HHD disks use today one disk alone could hold up to probably 250-500TB maybe even more if you had more disks of that size or something.

im 21 years old and to be frank I was not introduced to a computer until I was 6 years old from what I could recall it was a Hewlett Packard from IBM in the early 2000's late 1999. and was not introduced to the smartphone until I was 16 years old. and I was just recently introduced to irc chat too. I might not be old but I really like old tech :)

Edited by Lego8_bit