[1.0.5] EVA OK! - Prevent Accidental EVAs! v1.1 Out Now

wrcsubers

Introducing E.V.A. OK!

Atmospheric Re-Entry... Ahhhh your ship bathed in the warm glow of super heated air, sweat dripping from your brow under the sweat of anticipation.  Such a beautiful site to behold.  Let's see what all this fire looks like from inside the cockpit...

CRAP! AHHHHH! I hit EVA instead of IVA!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooo.....

Now Thomgard Kerman is really sweating as he burns up tumbling through the atmosphere at mach 7. Poof... Vaporized.

EVA OK! is here to prevent that from ever happening again.  EVA OK! is like automatic child locks for your space capsules, locking and unlocking the cockpit doors under certain circumstances automatically.  What's that? You WANT to burn up Thomgard on Re-Rentry... If you insist, you can EVA anytime you want by holding down the right CTRL button and clicking EVA.

Let's prevent the thousands of accidental EVAs that happen every year.

Features in v1.1:

• Automatic Unlocking of cockpit doors under the following situations:
    • In Atmosphere: Your ship must be landed (land or sea) and be traveling less than 10m/s.
    • In Vacuum: Your ship must have the Throttle at 0%.
    • All other times the doors are automatically locked.
  • Bypass mode:
    • Map-able bypass button.
    • EVAOK_SettingsWindow.jpg
      • Access EVA OK! Settings while in the Space Center view.
        • Map any keyboard button (unmodified only, ie Shift+H WON'T work).
        • Setting is saved externally and loads automatically across sessions/flights.
    • Hold down your mapped button on your keyboard to EVA at anytime.
  • Fixed issue with naming and cross-platform compatibility (removed '!' from name).

Next Update:

• Suggestions are very welcome!

Known Compatible Mods:

• All at this time. 
  • This is an extremely basic mod with low overhead. 
  • Please report if you have any problems!

Download:
You can download EVA OK! from Kerbal Stuff here
or
You can download EVA OK! from Curse here

Source:
Source code can be found here
License:
EVA OK! is released under the MIT License

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions; I am wide open =) I appreciate any help with my code and ideas for improvement.

Thanks for Looking!

Edited by Deddly
Removed minor profanity

36 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Really nice but, if you just made it for this reason, there's something called the "C" for IVA.

True, although I think we can all agree that the EVA button is dangerously close/similar looking to the IVA button on a Kerbal's portrait.

This mod is tiny, <150 lines of code and the compiled DLL is a puny 5KB.  Why not have it? Better than accidentally ejecting your Kerbal at the exact wrong time. =)

1 hour ago, ZobrAA said:

Good idea! But if I cannot change hotkey - I cannot use that... ;.;

Hey ZobrAA,

I'm working on an update to EVA OK! to allow you to map your own Hotkeys for that action.  Out of curiosity, what/when is a time you would like to be able to bypass the locks? Maybe I'll consider adding it to the unlock logic.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, wrcsubers said:

I'm working on an update to EVA OK! to allow you to map your own Hotkeys for that action.

Cool! :)

15 hours ago, wrcsubers said:

Out of curiosity, what/when is a time you would like to be able to bypass the locks? Maybe I'll consider adding it to the unlock logic.

I personally like the general simplicity of your concept, no need to overcomplicate this, IMHO. Problem for me just in my personal keybindings - I have Throttle Up on RCtrl instead of default Throttle Down... I would like it to be on Alt or maybe on LCtrl - that's it :)

This is precisely what I needed, child locks.

I have kids, 7 & 9 that play Kerbal and I accidentally hit the EVA button once.  Because that was one of the things they saw when being introduced to the game, they have turned it into a Felix Baumgartner simulator.  I was not able to teach them anything.  This can help me to kindly beguile them into learning. Thanks so much.

2 hours ago, Piberius said:

This is precisely what I needed, child locks.

I have kids, 7 & 9 that play Kerbal and I accidentally hit the EVA button once.  Because that was one of the things they saw when being introduced to the game, they have turned it into a Felix Baumgartner simulator.  I was not able to teach them anything.  This can help me to kindly beguile them into learning. Thanks so much.

That is absolutely awesome to hear! I'm glad I could help you out =D

Just don't tell them that they can override it =P

Edited by wrcsubers

4 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Cool! But it's not working for me - EVA button is still visible ;.;

Maybe it's because I'm playing 64-bit KSP...

Yeah that's probably why... Unfortunately supporting 64-bit KSP isn't going to be a possibility (for the time being at least).  Sorry =/

5 hours ago, wrcsubers said:

Yeah that's probably why... Unfortunately supporting 64-bit KSP isn't going to be a possibility (for the time being at least).  Sorry =/

Oh, well... :blush: I will return in the time of 1.1 :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Personally I think the Makers at squad should incorporate this in a future version of the game.. A lot of happy and alive Keral nauts thank you for this iddea..

And yes I think this is a brilliant piece of coding.. and again I think Squad should put this into the game.

Space_Coyote

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread has aged beyond ancient, but would anybody be up for a recompile? Will linuxgurugamer fly to this mod and bring it up from the graveyard?

Probably not the second scenario, but I would like to incorporate this mod into my game. Don't want to think about kerbal death, even if the game is notorious for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.