Will we get our contacts back?

Majorjim!

I'm amazed as I seem to be the only one mentioning this. We where told our contact list would survive the forum change. It has not. Everyones contact list was deleted.

Is there anyway we can get this back? I had a lot of contacts and I cannot remember them all..

Also, is there a way to see what your contacts have been posting?

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, Kerbart said:

Couldn't you just sacrifice a goat, or someone's firstborn, instead?

Just now, KasperVld said:

If only... :)

I would have preferred some sort of human or animal sacrifice but in the context of what is deemed 'right' in this day and age I accept your choice.

The Rocket Builder threads (the only ones that got lost) are read-only for their creators. If you didn´t have a RB thread, you won´t be able to read it.

Yeah... Short notice announcements that whole masses of data will be purged, without giving people a means to back it up is NOT acceptable! Followed threads and contacts being gone is a MAJOR ISSUE to... oh, you know... A forum. A place where people with like interests socialize and follow each other's discussions.

How this ever got to this point is ridiculous. There needs to be a WHOLE archive of the old forums, that people can log into, and recover their data from, even if only for a few months. I'm not happy about losing track of all the mods and threads I followed, including stuff I was following, but had not installed, cause I was waiting for post 1.1 developments to allow for my use of ALL my RAM.

Not. Cool. :mad:

Of course... what am I saying... This is the place that suffered a purge once... Not like user data is viewed as that important anyway... :huh:

Edited by richfiles

Yeah... I don't know if it "really" affected the forums, but I can honestly tell you that when Fallout 4 came out, I COMPLETELY CEASED visiting the forums till a few days ago when I tried accessing them, and found the site to be down. Choosing to do the upgrade when one of the most anticipated competitor's games releases is... actually a VERY good idea. Doesn't help those who don't care for Fallout, but I guess you can't please everyone.

What NEEDED to have happened though, was for a month or two PRIOR to that, EVERY SINGLE SUB FORUM should have had a BIG BOLD STICKY that read FORUM MIGRATION: BACK UP ANY DATA (SUBS, CONTACTS, THREAD CONTENT, ETC) THAT YOU WISH TO PRESERVE, IN CASE OF MIGRATION ISSUES. Something like that would have been great. It should have been at the top of EVERY sub forum. If vBulletin supported colored stickies, then they should have Considered a BIG RED NOTICE before the rest of the title (but not ALL red, cause some people are color blind).

I've been burned before by short notice updates that killed my access to data before I could back it up. I know the lack of notice for the forum migration is due to a simple lack of foresight, and maybe a touch of incompetence on the part of planning, and is not at all meant to be malicious in any way, but it still ticks me off royally! The extreme fallout (data loss) resulting from the lack of notice has brought back old memories of another unrelated incident which used a short notice update to (maliciously) destroy data and remove functionality. I still remember when Sony killed Linux on PS3s on April 1, 2010. The Firmware update gave NO WARNING AT ALL during the installation procedure that Other OS features were about to be removed, or that a backup should be made prior to the update. You simply LOST access to the partition from your hard drive... didn't even get the space back! Sony didn't offer any recourse for backup once the firmware was installed. The earliest indications they would do this were a blog post on March 29, a mere 3 days before the April Fools firmware release. You would need to have actually been paying attention to a Sony blog to see the news. It trickled out slowly, and was counter to a statement just a month or two earlier that reassured customers that Other OS on older "Phat" PS3s was not being touched, and that only the new Slim PS3s would not have it, and simply because it was not shipping as a feature of the new units. On April 1st... April Fools day, even when people started shouting "OH MY GOD! Sony is killing OtherOS with this firmware update!"... A lot of people actually thought it was a prank and updated anyway... I mean, the update said NOTHING about Other OS removal, and that would be silly!

Thank God that you guys aren't like that... But the short notice of data purging STILL had the same effect. We lost data, and had no time to ever see a warning, or to take action to save it, and that just plain sucks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.