Virgin Galactic, Branson's space venture

PB666

16 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I would certainly not purchase a ride on SpaceShipTwo if it didn't fly above 100 km. If I blow that much dough, I'd want to get into 'space' by anybody's definition.

That's why I remember the lower number. I read some article where they said they were using the USAF definition, and I said exactly what you just typed... possibly out loud. To myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 7:16 AM, Bill Phil said:

More generally: Can we all just take a moment and revel in the sheer number of orbital rockets in development and in use? This is certainly a slow period for manned spaceflight, but for unmanned? Holy snap!

The more scattershot part of the Cold War comes to mind...

5 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

That's the kicker... They're not cheap to fly, due to the fuel-thirsty engines they use: P&W JT12 turbojets. Unless... Hmm. Those aren't the same style of nacelle... could it have been reengined?

Some were reequipped with CF700s, then with TFE731s. From the engines nacelles shape, I would say it's a 465, powered by AiResearch Garrett AlliedSignal Honeywell.

Also, one easy way to recognize it from its bigger 380 brother is the shape of its windows: somewhat triangular, while the models with CF700s are based on the bigger 370 with rectangular windows.

Edited by XB-70A

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YNM said:

So, when will we see a B747 replacing  a B52 ? :D

boop: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=11470

747-ALCM-Launcher.jpg

Also, I cant find any pictures online anywhere, but I swear I have seen some old-skool-stylez drawing of hypothetical GAM-87 skybolt loadouts on airliners as a cheap/off the shelf alternative to expensive fleets of dedicated carriers.

53 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

boop: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=11470

747-ALCM-Launcher.jpg

Also, I cant find any pictures online anywhere, but I swear I have seen some old-skool-stylez drawing of hypothetical GAM-87 skybolt loadouts on airliners as a cheap/off the shelf alternative to expensive fleets of dedicated carriers.

Here is another report on the 747 cruise missile carrier proposal: https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-boeings-design-for-a-747-full-of-cruise-missiles-ma-1605150371

But yeah, great for war, not so great for smallsat launches.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.