Virgin Galactic, Branson's space venture

PB666

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

What I take from this is Virgin to get Spaceship used as a suborbital astronaut trainer for other orbital astronaut launch services.

Seems odd to me as their vehicle seems more risky than the commercial crew vehicles.

I'd ride New Shepard tomorrow if they offered it (free, lol). I'm not sure you could convince me to ride on Spaceship 2, ever.

Edited by tater

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The whole "and you can float around in the cabin!" thing just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. 5- or 6- point restraints can be quite fiddly to get into properly. And you don't have the luxury of unlimited time. I imagine there will be lots of practice sessions on the ground, but that may not be the same thing as doing it live.

Also, how will they handle/prevent "space adaptation syndrome"? It seems to be especially linked to moving around, so isn't it a problem to encourage passengers to move around?

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Also, how will they handle/prevent "space adaptation syndrome"? It seems to be especially linked to moving around, so isn't it a problem to encourage passengers to move around?

It's my understanding that most people don't get sick in the short timeframe of microgravity these people will experience. The hang time is ~4 minutes I think.

I think I read that the idea was if you do something like the vomit comet, it's not the first zero g that makes you barf, it's the fact they do multiples.

Spoiler

To prevent the "space adaptation syndrome" and to prevent floating across the cabin, they should just give them metaclopramide before start.
The pax will be sleepy, non-vomiting, and wishing to hide under blanket and stay motionless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.