Virgin Galactic, Branson's space venture

PB666

14 minutes ago, tater said:

Wow, you could answer a question I thought of when I noticed that: Is having an interpreter actually easier to follow than closed captions?

I watch plenty of shows in other languages with subtitles, and while it sometimes distracts from the visuals, I'd assume—as someone who doesn't sign—that watching a person might take even more focus... but of course I am clueless, and have no experience.

When the subtitles are correct, they are very helpful for the nerdy at my school, however, if there's someone signing, everyone is able to follow. However, today they were using British Sign Language instead of American, which was annoying.

When the subtitles are incorrect or not available, then it's up to the nerds to tell the others what's happening.

2 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

When the subtitles are incorrect or not available, then it's up to the nerds to tell the others what's happening.

I've watched some shows in English with subtitles on (father in law has cochlear implants and is still pretty hard of hearing)... sometimes they are pretty terrible. I supposed for extemporaneous speech, an interpreter might be best...

I think I was thinking not about the "talking heads" of the coverage, but when the shot is of the rocket itself, or telemetry data, and the voice is in the background (much of a SpaceX stream, for example). In that case, would looking at the interpreter make seeing the actual video harder than captions?

1 minute ago, tater said:

I've watched some shows in English with subtitles on (father in law has cochlear implants and is still pretty hard of hearing)... sometimes they are pretty terrible. I supposed for extemporaneous speech, an interpreter might be best...

I think I was thinking not about the "talking heads" of the coverage, but when the shot is of the rocket itself, or telemetry data, and the voice is in the background (much of a SpaceX stream, for example). In that case, would looking at the interpreter make seeing the actual video harder than captions?

When you grow up without a sense, you can increase the other senses to compensate. I've noticed this often means better peripheral vision and noticing details. If the screen's too big, then we're in the same boat as you guys, having to focus on only one thing at a time.

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

Well, "Space Is Hard". Although is pretty weird this time

The fairing thing is likely wrong, that's just a night view of earth under the stage - you can see it move together with the background stars in the video. It seems more a case of the second stage underperforming

13 hours ago, Beccab said:

The fairing thing is likely wrong, that's just a night view of earth under the stage - you can see it move together with the background stars in the video. It seems more a case of the second stage underperforming

There appears to be a bunch of off-scale (both high and low) telemetry, which might point to some kind of electrical power and/or computer issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, insert_name said:

oof not looking good, is there any way they can recover from this?

In the current economic climate, it seems unlikely. Maybe they get bought out by the RAF as a national security asset?

3 hours ago, tater said:

In the current economic climate, it seems unlikely. Maybe they get bought out by the RAF as a national security asset?

Yeah I suppose there is some precedent for that with what happened to one web during its bankruptcy

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

This is just Orbit, right? The SpaceShip 2/3 program is still unaffected? I'd wager that one had to die so the other could live...

I doubt that one is gonna do much better, tbh.

I would have flown on the crew New Shepard the day after their anomaly (different booster and obviously different capsule)—I'd not fly on Spaceship if they paid me.

16 hours ago, tater said:

I doubt that one is gonna do much better, tbh.

I would have flown on the crew New Shepard the day after their anomaly (different booster and obviously different capsule)—I'd not fly on Spaceship if they paid me.

In the unlikely event that anyone wanted to invest in Virgin Galactic, I think that "push himself to the front of the bankruptcy line" stunt drove everyone away from Virgin Galactic as well.  From what I understand, there is no possible way VG can send enough passengers to "space" to make enough profits to cover the investment,  even if everyone with the money wanted to buy a ticket.  Not sure how many tickets they need to survive (with grumpy investors).

As far as I know, the capsule landed safely after the New Shepard anomaly.  Not the best look, but shouldn't change your outlook too much.  Space is hard, assuming a craft is "safe" after 22 successful flights and "unsafe" after 23 flights with an anomaly that lead to a safe landing is pretty weird.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.