Virgin Galactic, Branson's space venture

PB666

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Branson doesn't get anything to orbit

Virgin Orbit does.

Suborbital tourism is a dead end, IMO. It would need to be a couple orders of magnitude cheaper.

13 hours ago, Lewie said:

Aw man...I’m gonna be active with the mission trip during the flight. Ah well.

I love how ‘space for all’ is a big thing...it’s not. It’s space for the uber-rich with nothing better to do. *eye roll*

Just billionaires who wished they became astronauts as kids.

Or NASA envy without a constructive outlet.

Spoiler

5aa25015c7651.jpg

Just now, kerbiloid said:

Maybe. But both have space vessels, and one was in space, another one wasn't.

Ummm, you aren't saying anything different than what you said before, and I didn't contradict you either.  so I'm curious what you are trying to say

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Owning a space company doesn't mean you have to go to space yourself.

Yes, but it's as suspicious as a restaurant run by a person who's a horrible cook.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

One man puts satellites in space, puts astronauts in space.  the other doesn't.  Isn't that what I said?

Idk. But both tell about their space dreams, and both have the possibility. One did, one didn't.

4 minutes ago, DDE said:

Yes, but it's as suspicious as a restaurant run by a person who's a horrible cook.

This isn't a great analogy. Being an astronaut isn't a prerequisite for running an aerospace company, whereas being a cook is usually necessary to run a restaurant.

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

A billionaire is going to fly by Musk's Dragon. Not Musk.
Branson is billionaire, too. He has flown by the Branson's plane.
Just a bare fact.

Again, what point are are you arguing that I've disagreed with?  I merely pointed out that there is a difference between the two's accomplishments

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Again, what point are are you arguing that I've disagreed with?  I merely pointed out that there is a difference between the two's accomplishments

I'm not arguing. I just noticed a bare fact that one billionaire has flown by his tourist-rated vessel, another one didn't, that's all.

I'm not arguing. I just noticed a bare fact that one billionaire has flown by his tourist-rated vessel, another one didn't, that's all.

and I pointed out that the other billionaire has actually done significant things in space

No problem. Except the available thing, which another billionaire just did.

so a billionaire spent money on his hobby and went for a ride.  The other billionaire does real work,

so?  

This is my last comment, it's a meaningless thread at this point

54 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Branson was in space.

Musk wasn't.

Musk also doesn't care about going to space, he isn't the tourist kind of billionaire
But all this has absolutely zero relevance to this thread, why must every single one randomly become "Musk bad, SpaceX bad"

25 minutes ago, DDE said:

Like every single crewed rocket flight in history before this?

Or did Korolev fly and I missed it?

Or von Braun?

Whoever ran Rockwell during the Shuttle era?

Complete non-issue.

22 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Idk. But both tell about their space dreams, and both have the possibility. One did, one didn't.

Musk doesn't dream of going on a suborbital flight, or even LEO. His dream (at least as far as he states it openly) is to "make humanity multiplanetary."

Have any of the Scaled Composites engineers flown?

Branson wrote checks, it's not like he designed any of it (maybe he picked the color scheme).

Or the X-15 engineers.

BTW, the US lower alt definition is partially because they'd have to pull 7 sets of astronaut wings.

8 pilots flew the X-15 above the US alt definition. 1 died during his flight. Only 2 X-15 flights exceeded the 100km Karman line, both flown by Joseph Walker.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.