Textures won't load in Unity Editor

Hey guys!

I wanted to edit some IVAs with the Unity Editor. So I installed the KSP Parts Tools, klicked on Tools --> KSP Parts Tools --> Setup --> Set Data Dir, set it to a fresh KSP_1.05 GameData folder and got all the spaces and props of my KSP with the spawn button next to it. Spawning works but the console gives me the error (e.g.) 'Texture 'Squad/Props/VSI/model000' not found!' (when opening the mk1PodCockpit space for example). I stll get the cockpit with all the props, can manipulate them, save the config and load the game with the modified IVA. Everything works fine. Just the texture won't load in the editor which is strange because (e.g.) the texture model000.dds is in the folder.

Is that a version compatibility bug? I've tried out several Unity Editor versions. Or can't the editor read .dds?

Thanks for your help!

I've had similar issues with my own props after I converted the textures to DDS. The props come in all white, but in game its fine.

It might just be an issue with Unity not being able to view DDS, but that is just my guess.

Unity 4 doesn't work with dds format as it requires a proprietary codec that Unity doesn't have. I'm not sure if Unity 5 will be any different.If you need to see what's happening inside unity, flip (a copy of) the image vertically and convert it to png before using.

Edited by Randazzo

16 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Unity 4 doesn't work with dds format as it requires a proprietary codec that Unity doesn't have. I'm not sure if Unity 5 will be any different.If you need to see what's happening inside unity, flip (a copy of) the image vertically and convert it to png before using.

Hi Randazzo,

sounds good Unity 5 , sorry but as a newcomer, I 've got a question :  but  there exist a compatible KSP parttools version for Unity 5.x ? 

my last info about partools is following  :

- PartTools.23 for UNITY.4.3.4 

- PartTools.20 for UNITY.4.2.2

- or there is a solution so that old parttools version works with Unity 5 ?

Saluti, Raendy

Awesome! Thanks for your help :)

13 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Is there a way to install such a codec? I don't want to convert and flip 300 textures :D although it would be a start for some models ...

4 hours ago, Hary R said:

Guys, Unity 5.2 don't load DDS too but part tool 0.23 work fine with it (the prop tool at least as i use unity 5.2 only for that when it come to KSP)

ok, i the case, I 'll try it to work with Unity 5.2 and PT. 0.23 - ^_^  the DDS graphics can convert later step.

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

Unity can import PSD (photoshop) files directly in. When I texture, I leave the PSDs in the Unity folder and assign them to my mesh in my modeling program. Then when I import it automatically applies the texture to the objects. I then export as TGAs and convert to DDS before release.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Unity can import PSD (photoshop) files directly in. When I texture, I leave the PSDs in the Unity folder and assign them to my mesh in my modeling program. Then when I import it automatically applies the texture to the objects. I then export as TGAs and convert to DDS before release.

yes, exactly :) to convert i use  "KSP to DDS texture converter" from Lilleman  it works very fine !  it converts PGA and TGA to DDS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.