The REAL "What I hate about KSP IRC!"

kiwi1960

I asked for the other thread to be locked... this one takes it place, I wanted to change the name of it but then people wouldn't know this is the REAL thread for what????

So, stuck with the name!

Oldies VS youngsters, Old VS new, Seasoned VS Brand new!!!
This is NOT a complaint about kids... its NOT a complaint about the IRC...

BEFORE YOU CONTINUE... read this; it explains things... recently, in IRC, a kid didn't believe me that I was 55 .... It is NOT a complaint about him, youngsters OR the IRC part of this site.

While I said it showed how disrespectful they were... so what? I went on to explain that without us oldies being pioneers of the computer age, suffering things like 640K RAM (max) and 4 colours etc ... they wouldn't have the super computers they have today... and IRC has been around almost as long as the computer age... blah blah blah blah...

HERE IS WHAT I WANT: A discussion between members of this forum of any age... young to speak about how amazing old people are :sticktongue: and old people what it was like for them in the old days as far as computers go... of how life has changed in general over the years... youngsters can feel free to "oooh' and "ahh" over all that we oldies reveal about the old days.... or just take the piss if you want... but in a nice fun way... and that is the name of the game... so there can be no doubt.... WE ARE GOING TO HAVE FUN WITH THE DECADES THAT SPANS YOUNG AND OLD!!!!

It is NOT a complaints thread.... you think it is... then you will either be a senile old person... or a blind young person... be prepared to suffer the wrath of our insults.....

-------------------------------------

When I was at school... we didn't have computers... calculators had only just been invented... but we learned how to count on an abacus... if we wanted to play a game like KSP on paper then we would have an abacus and a slide rule handy to work out if we could reach a stable orbit. From launch... it would take roughly a week of hard calculations to work this out or not...

First calculator I used was a ROCK 100 ..... 100 kilo BITS of rock.... :)

(this thread tries hard NOT to make the mistakes I made in the original thread... please try to keep it that way!)

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Clearer title, as this isn't about KSP itself

I still don't really get this thread, but oh well. Ever since the industrial revolution each new generation has had more technology, better standards of living, etc. I'm sure your parents or grandparents had their own 'back in my day...' sorts of things. The only thing that changes is the subject. 

Not that I have any issue with the 'back in my day...' sorts of things, it's good for young people to know what it was like to live in previous eras and generations. It's just when it turns to 'my generation is better than your generation' bickering that I don't see the point. 

Anyways, back on topic. I can remember the sound of dial up, before the age of real smartphones and the time when BlackBerry's were popular.

I remember the days of loading games from cassette tape.

Back then I wish I would have had the limitation of 640K memory, the memory issue I remember from my youth was the infamous RAM pack wobble.  Besides, pruning your autoexec.bat was a character building exercise. :D

As for phones, I remember when my father got a carphone, which was about as mobile a phone as they got those days.  You could have good fun with a radio scanner back then too.  Digital communications are great and all, but it was a lot of fun being able to eavesdrop on conversations people assumed were private.

And let's not forget the original chat-room - CB Radio.  Long before I ever had a modem, that was getting me into trouble.

The sound of dial up will always be with me... in fact, I have various dial up modems around that I could plug in whenever I want... :)

RobotEngineer, tell us how old you are. That would be a good start. I know what you mean about each generation;

My mother always tried telling me to switch off the wall plug if nothing was plugged in as the "electricity will leak out".... she wasn't stupid, just from the old country... (The Netherlands) .. she lived on a farm without electricity in the 1930's...

As for my generation is better than yours... all in good fun ... like...

When I was young, I had to walk 20 miles across rivers and through snow just to get a bucket of water.... (think about it... right, then chuckle.... )

The first car I ever owned was a 1960's era FORD ANGLIA (England) and here is a photo of it... (I wished I still had this car... :( )

ford-anglia_1794392a.jpg

Both a click- and flame-baity title: I suggest you use a more appropriate title because this has nothing to do with the game itself, and saying hating something endless times is the best way for others not to listen to you.

Either way, splitting two parts of the community that already don't get along with each other is not a good idea. A more sensible option would be to ignore these "kids" when they are attempting to troll.

And again, this has been said in your other thread, but please stop trying to separate people according to their age.

13 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

It is NOT a complaints thread.... you think it is... then you will either be a senile old person... or a blind young person... be prepared to suffer the wrath of our insults.....

Way to go... 

Edited by Gaarst

I edited your title to be more reflective of the actual content of the old one, if you'd like something different feel free to change it but "What I hate about KSP" is pretty misleading since this thread isn't about KSP at all. Not really clear what it is about, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I edited your title to be more reflective of the actual content of the old one, if you'd like something different feel free to change it but "What I hate about KSP" is pretty misleading since this thread isn't about KSP at all. Not really clear what it is about, for that matter.

It's about us OLD GUYS reminiscing. :lol:

12 hours ago, pxi said:

As for phones, I remember when my father got a carphone, which was about as mobile a phone as they got those days.

First 'mobile' phone I ever saw was during the early 80's. An old-school phone horn wired to a large box, that contained a lead-acid battery, with a pigtail wire. On the box was a half metre long antenna and a rotary phone dial. And this was only the 'mobile' part. The REAL phone was build into his car. If he moved more than about 1 to 200 metres away from his car he would loose connection.

Edited by Tex_NL

On 6/12/2015 4:30:01, Red Iron Crown said:

It was there so the connection with the OLD thread could be made... nothing more. What I really hate about this site.... is most TELLING me what I think or what my intentions were and the others, with the power, changing things for me.. telling me what I was thinking now... Did you not read where I said it was nothing to do with KSP *OR* the KSP IRC? Now people will really think I have it in for the IRC side of this site... You had NO RIGHT to edit the title of my post! It wasn't breaking any rules was it?

Keep it up... and see what happens.

In the mean time... I'll ignore the insults and things and just move along....

Yeah, I used to own a "brick" phone.... it was almost as big as those US walkie Talkies the marines always used... :(

Edited by kiwi1960

4 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

...Much anger...

@kiwi1960 Holy smokes dude, 'tis just a harmless title change, you're free to rename it, and Red Iron Crown is a mod after all.
This thread (and the old one) is fairly interesting, it's a shame it keeps exploding every time someone rubs you the wrong way.

Edited by steve_v

The problem is that the original thread had people assuming I was venting at the game.site and the "young" people...

Your title change might have them assume I have switched my anger towards the IRC... and negates the whole idea of starting the thread again!!!

So when you negate all I said with two words... "...Much anger..." then YES.... MUCH anger. All in order to prevent 'confusion" in your words... NOT that any rule or such had been broken. Its one thing to change a persons thread or title to keep within the rules, quite another to change entirely what that person is saying... in other words, you abused your "powers" in order to change an opinion or your opinion of what I was saying.... nanny state much?

Maybe you should have suggested FIRST before taking it upon yourself to DO.

*Kiwi venting "much anger" right now.*

16 hours ago, steve_v said:

@kiwi1960 Holy smokes dude, 'tis just a harmless title change, you're free to rename it, and Red Iron Crown is a mod after all.
This thread (and the old one) is fairly interesting, it's a shame it keeps exploding every time someone rubs you the wrong way.

Its all about opinions and intent... if anyone thinks they know better than me what I want to say, then what the hell is the point of the forums. How do we know that entire posts saying how much people hate the game are not being turned into posts saying how great it is? Don't say it cannot happen... if its OK this time... who decides when its not?

Even so... screw it... if anyone want's to change what I say then they had better have a damned good reason. Other than that, lets move on.

It WAS a good thread till a mod decided he knew better than I did what I was really saying... apart from that... lets get on with it... but the damage has already been done. This is not the first time a thread of mine has been sabotaged by a moderator. I think I'll wait a week or two before trying again and seeing what happens.

This thread can also be locked.

Edited by kiwi1960

It may be worth noting that in your previous post, you appear to be using my words (and snipping of your rant to avoid more pointless noise):

So when you negate all I said with two words... "...Much anger..." then YES.... MUCH anger.

To attack Red Iron Crown:

you abused your "powers" in order to change an opinion

I, in this case calmly, suggest you actually read the post you are replying to before flying off the handle, as I'd not like to be held responsible for an (IMO) unjustified attack on a moderator.

Edited by steve_v
Spelling fail.