Asymmetric Aircraft Thread

Mostly symmetrical, with one notable exception. Flies just fine on either or both engines if you tilt them so they point through the center of mass.

1C69FF13BD049D69CAAE1648C3252AC3CC53095D

I have an easier time with asymmetrical landers if the engine and fuel are at the center of mass. If they're not, I slide the side pods back and forth till KER shows 0 kN of torque.

B7DD84DE5E2C5457094F7D0A378533AF0A88373C

6gwwbOl.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 27.6.2016 at 10:43 PM, valens said:

ksp_diogenes.png

Diogenes is my solution to the following problem: how to land & recover as much science as possible on the Mün, return to orbit to refuel and upload the science and so on. Nifty little craft, although a bit short on monoprop. The tricky part was adding a platform so my kerbonauts can take all the data, while keeping everything balanced. The first version of this had the mk1 lander can on the side, attached straight on the science package, but I scrapped it as the SAS and EVA-ing were too complicated.

this is an awesome design! this is exactly what i'm trying to build. my mun-station-lander is bigger and has 2000m/s. it works perfectly when i stay in the plane of the station (180°). for everything other the lander is to heavy.

i tried to rebuild your design but i failes. whats under the dockingport? between the can and the science jr lab?

i started with the dockinport and attached the lander can. i moved this to the side and hat do reassign the tank below. but the center of mass is more on the lander can side. i have to put that into the middle (somehow).

is it possible to upload the craft file? that would be great.

On 6/27/2016 at 3:43 PM, valens said:

Diogenes is my solution to the following problem: how to land & recover as much science as possible on the Mün, return to orbit to refuel and upload the science and so on. Nifty little craft, although a bit short on monoprop. The tricky part was adding a platform so my kerbonauts can take all the data, while keeping everything balanced. The first version of this had the mk1 lander can on the side, attached straight on the science package, but I scrapped it as the SAS and EVA-ing were too complicated.

I like the look of that lander, looks like something a real space agency would design.  Still have the craft file?

5 hours ago, KingPhantom said:

this is an awesome design! this is exactly what i'm trying to build. my mun-station-lander is bigger and has 2000m/s. it works perfectly when i stay in the plane of the station (180°). for everything other the lander is to heavy.

i tried to rebuild your design but i failes. whats under the dockingport? between the can and the science jr lab?

i started with the dockinport and attached the lander can. i moved this to the side and hat do reassign the tank below. but the center of mass is more on the lander can side. i have to put that into the middle (somehow).

is it possible to upload the craft file? that would be great.

Nice to see someone agrees!

On 7-12-2015 at 8:42 AM, Thingymajigy said:

Plane itself is symmetrical, but fully capable of flying (and taking off and landing) with asymmetrical thrust, albeit a little slower. Just a bit of trimming and flies better than with SAS

CulaM83.png

Its awesome that this thing can fly, but it makes me cringe a bit. I have a little bit of OCD.

On 25 juillet 2016 at 10:38 PM, KingPhantom said:

Thanks for the interest @KingPhantom! As the docking port cannot be attached directly to the Science Jr, I put a BZ-52 Radial Attachment Part; another binds the top part of the lander to the fuel tank. Also, I often hide a small probe core just under the docking port for control. Here's a link to the .craft file: LV-M3 Diogenes.

[Edit: btw there is probably also a Radial Attachment Point on the side of the capsule to support the Science Jr.]

However, as I thought it lacked flexibility and, frankly, landing alone is no fun, I designed the Diogenes 2 around the Mk1 Crew cabin. This posed a new problem because of fuel and space requirement. This was solved with a new lower part (partly inspired by @Raptor9's excellent work) which gives Diogenes 2 a whopping 2700 m/s ∆V (a bit more than Diogenes for twice the mass) ! Here's the (yet untested) .craft file: LV-M4 Diogenes 2

ksp_diogenes2.png

Edited by valens
correction, link update

Interestingly enough, I found a random screenshot of me attempting an asymmetrical plane design a while back ago. It's not appeasing to the eye but it will do for what this thread is made for.

Edit: For some reason I called it dart, its no where near fast...

UgBPCXt.png 

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

• 5 weeks later...

Eh, smalltimes.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/RhrAF

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/sharpy/Irregu

KNjLICC.png

R7fMjB8.png

0caBauu.png

It handles surprisingly well, if you discount asymmetric yaw and roll rates. And it has an awesome lift and thrust - it glided for a long time with engines switched off, hardly losing any altitude, and as I took a turn way too hard, orienting it tail-forward, all I had to do was floor the throttle, and it just reversed direction in place, without even losing any considerable altitude. And it can carry 5 kerbals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.