Winter Kerbol 2015: Now with Eeloosian Pine Trees

Whirligig Girl

SEE HERE FOR WINTER KERBOL 2016

z6HQOU8.png

Download at Kerbal Stuff

I know the name is kind of lame, I'm not good with coming up with mod names to be honest.

Requires Kopernicus and TextureReplacer!

This mod adds a few christmas/winter-holiday features to the solar system.

• Kerbin's ground is now totally covered in snow!
  • Jool is now red, green, and white. (Based upon a texture made by @Felsmak)
  • Two space suit textures: Red "Santa" Space Suit, and Green "Elf" Space Suit, based upon these suits.
  • Eeloo now has Pine Trees! (Mostly @Thomas P.'s fault)

If you want only one part of it, remove the other parts. (Remove the "Jool" or "Kerbin" section from GameData/ChristmasKerbol, and if you don't want the suit textures, remove the TextureReplacer part.)

Edited by GregroxMun
Released Update 2015 Version 2: Pine Trees on Eeloo!

Couldn't risk taking the Christmas snowing idea to the max could yeah?

I would like to see Kerbin experience seasons though... at certain times of year it turns white like this for snow, and maybe yellow for Spring, green for summer (basically as is normally), and for Fall have it turn orange and red.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Couldn't risk taking the Christmas snowing idea to the max could yeah?

I would like to see Kerbin experience seasons though... at certain times of year it turns white like this for snow, and maybe yellow for Spring, green for summer (basically as is normally), and for Fall have it turn orange and red.

No axial tilt = no seasons.

4 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

No axial tilt = no seasons.

Applying realism eh? In game with extremely dense bodies? With a star the size of Jupiter? A gas giant the size of Earth? A Earth-analogue the size of the moon? I can keep going...

Case and point, it still can work and should be done!

18 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Applying realism eh? In game with extremely dense bodies? With a star the size of Jupiter? A gas giant the size of Earth? A Earth-analogue the size of the moon? I can keep going...

As surprising as it may sound, you can actually do that. It's not just a black and white choice between perfect realism and complete anarchy, and anyone who's designing a fictional universe will have to look at every individual detail and decide if they think it's "acceptably unrealistic" or if it just doesn't make sense.

So for Kerbal Space Program, I can accept that it's set in a universe with impossibly small planets. It's just the way things are in that universe. But if they're going to include seasons, I'd rather they just made the planet tilt, too.

Edited by Felsmak

6 minutes ago, Felsmak said:

As surprising as it may sound, you can actually do that. It's not just a black and white choice between perfect realism and complete anarchy, and anyone who's designing a fictional universe will have to look at every individual detail and decide if they think it's "acceptably unrealistic" or if it just doesn't make sense.

So for Kerbal Space Program, I can accept that it's set in a universe with impossibly small planets. It's just the way things are in that universe. But if they're going to include seasons, I'd rather they just made the planet tilt, too.

Of course, Kerbin still hasn't any seasons. It's just been frozen into an ice age.

5 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Of course, Kerbin still hasn't any seasons. It's just been frozen into an ice age.

I can buy that, of course. I was talking about using "This thing is even more unrealistic" as an argument for why you can't still keep realism in mind when designing a game.

15 minutes ago, Felsmak said:

I can buy that, of course. I was talking about using "This thing is even more unrealistic" as an argument for why you can't still keep realism in mind when designing a game.

Right. I totally agree. I don't even think the planets are incredibly dense, it's just that the universe has higher gravity. (Of course, mass is defined in the tracking station, but I think that's acceptable given the fact that it would be harder to do orbital mechanics calculations if the game told you a mass number that doesn't make sense in our universe)

On 12/7/2015, 9:50:58, Felsmak said:

Bingo. This whole "if one thing is unrealistic, nothing else needs to be!" thing is an insane fallacy.

4 hours ago, Proot said:

May I know how you did to get the stock data about the land classes for this?

you can extract the stock data using kittopia, it gives you all information about the planets properties and PQS. I'll PM you a dump of all bodies data

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.