The Kraken Program

My highest performing K-drive in 1.0.5 ,  26.2 G's super reliable (just dont turn it too hard or go below 750 m/s while active) TWR of 262.22 and a thrust of 295.6 kN and only at 16 parts, very controllable and very stable, in surface mode it's capable of lifting 25 mT without a problem. (thrust may decrease when attaching cargo) while it is possible to attach multiple drives to a single craft thrust may infact be reduced from one or both of the devices, so far accelerations of over 27 G's using multiple drives have failed. Download

Warranty void if activated,loaded into a save file or looked at in this post.

I am not responsible to any lost saves,installs,computers or family members caused by this device.

That thing, is incredibly sensitive to changes. Works, and I'll definitely be tinkering with it some more. With the multiple drives, are you attaching them together from the bottom? With the way you have the batteries setup it seems attaching them together from the back (having the drives on the front of the ship) would provide more output than if you did it from the top of the drive and had them behind.

9 hours ago, Stevie The Crusher said:

That thing, is incredibly sensitive to changes. Works, and I'll definitely be tinkering with it some more. With the multiple drives, are you attaching them together from the bottom? With the way you have the batteries setup it seems attaching them together from the back (having the drives on the front of the ship) would provide more output than if you did it from the top of the drive and had them behind.

I have not done much testing on multiple drive configurations just yet so anything i say right now is strictly speculation and results from 2-3 tests i have made.

from the limited testing it seems that if you attach 2 drives "tail to head" their functionality will interfere with one another and result in only one drive producing thrust.

The batteries provide flexibility and a greater distance traveled when pulsating, they also act as shock absorbers to help the leg stay intact.

this drive is not a miracle it's crafted as a part of an experiment i was running on a single design of which i just changed the pushed mass(and the vessels mass) incrementally, those results are show here: 

Spoiler

CsPmNEI.png

as you can see this design had the greatest TWR of all for some reason i dont really understand and any attempts at fitting this to an equation have not been favorable. all the crafts i tested are HERE (except the last 4 tests of the 2.05-2.75 range of tests which are the same craft just with more legs). All the tests were conducted at a 1000K km orbit with the use of hyperedit, i would love it if someone can recreate these tests and make variations on them, also testing at higher and much lower pusher fractions are welcome too as my ratios were very low. i have found that higher forces can be achieved with more legs the problem was that the forces were not always enough to counter the extra mass of the legs themselves but it would be useful for heavier payloads. 

There also seem to be some anomalies in the data, the jump in thrust from 80.6 to 138.0 at the 3rd iteration, the jump in thrust from 153.6 to 295.6 in the 6th iteration and the decrease of thrust at various points after the 6th iteration where i would expect a steady increase at the least if not another jump at some point.

14 hours ago, EladDv said:

I have not done much testing on multiple drive configurations just yet so anything i say right now is strictly speculation and results from 2-3 tests i have made.

from the limited testing it seems that if you attach 2 drives "tail to head" their functionality will interfere with one another and result in only one drive producing thrust.

The batteries provide flexibility and a greater distance traveled when pulsating, they also act as shock absorbers to help the leg stay intact.

this drive is not a miracle it's crafted as a part of an experiment i was running on a single design of which i just changed the pushed mass(and the vessels mass) incrementally, those results are show here: 

Hide contents

CsPmNEI.png

as you can see this design had the greatest TWR of all for some reason i dont really understand and any attempts at fitting this to an equation have not been favorable. all the crafts i tested are HERE (except the last 4 tests of the 2.05-2.75 range of tests which are the same craft just with more legs). All the tests were conducted at a 1000K km orbit with the use of hyperedit, i would love it if someone can recreate these tests and make variations on them, also testing at higher and much lower pusher fractions are welcome too as my ratios were very low. i have found that higher forces can be achieved with more legs the problem was that the forces were not always enough to counter the extra mass of the legs themselves but it would be useful for heavier payloads. 

There also seem to be some anomalies in the data, the jump in thrust from 80.6 to 138.0 at the 3rd iteration, the jump in thrust from 153.6 to 295.6 in the 6th iteration and the decrease of thrust at various points after the 6th iteration where i would expect a steady increase at the least if not another jump at some point.

Oh wow, that table is great!

I want to try to develop a kdrive that can cause craft to interact in some way maybe allowing a remote controlled craft. Right now I'm toying with burning stuff that might cause an interaction. No success. If anyone knows how to get two craft to inter act then say something. I'm basically trying to replicate the bad piggies tesla glitch causing craft to interact while not connected.

I have phenomenal news, immediately after reading this thread I began tinkering with the idea of moving parts, and 5 minutes in I've made a much more tamed, and milder K-Drive. I call it the K1 Stasis and it's essentially a hovercraft, I haven't done extensive testing but the initial results look promising. Hope all of you can build onto the idea, and research it with me! Action 1 toggles it's "ability" on and off. Hope I've done good :lol: Download Link: http://www./download/uz618sgac54ia8e/K1_Stasis_v1.craft

Showcase/Demo

Edited by HyperTek

27 minutes ago, HyperTek said:

I have phenomenal news, immediately after reading this thread I began tinkering with the idea of moving parts, and 5 minutes in I've made a much more tamed, and milder K-Drive. I call it the K1 Stasis and it's essentially a hovercraft, I haven't done extensive testing but the initial results look promising. Hope all of you can build onto the idea, and research it with me! Action 1 toggles it's "ability" on and off. Hope I've done good :lol: Download Link: http://www./download/uz618sgac54ia8e/K1_Stasis_v1.craft

That's a K-Drive alright... in it's surface mode, where all K-drives work as "hovercrafts". Now launch it into space and witness the amazing power of in-space K-drives. Tell us how many G's it can make!

Rune. Glad to see the old sorcery still works.

Just now, HyperTek said:

Showcase/Demo

Wowza. you could have something here man. I will have a look at it.

28 minutes ago, Rune said:

That's a K-Drive alright... in it's surface mode, where all K-drives work as "hovercrafts". Now launch it into space and witness the amazing power of in-space K-drives. Tell us how many G's it can make!

Rune. Glad to see the old sorcery still works.

It's ridiculously tame, didn't pull more than 6G, but it's near impossible to direct anyway, and comparatively slow, the maneuver nodes have absolutely not accuracy either

23 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Wowza. you could have something here man. I will have a look at it.

,Thanks, now it's time to iron out the "Kinks" in v2

24 minutes ago, HyperTek said:

It's ridiculously tame, didn't pull more than 6G, but it's near impossible to direct anyway, and comparatively slow, the maneuver nodes have absolutely not accuracy either

,Thanks, now it's time to iron out the "Kinks" in v2

But is it reliable? 6 G's are nothing to sneer at! The hard part is getting a reliable drive that always turns on without breaking the legs. As to how to go about improving it, I suggest you simplify the design. The best K-drives I saw last time around were built around single legs, and with the least amount of parts possible (one for the leg to go through, another to push against, and enough ancillary equipment to keep the thing pointed where you want to go). Apparently, acceleration is not a function of the number of legs, and more than one might give weird pushing direction like you seem to get. Also, are the Klaws necessary?

Rune. Good luck taming krakens!

Edited by Rune

1 minute ago, Rune said:

But is it reliable? 6 G's are nothing to sneer at! The hard part is getting a reliable drive that always turns on without breaking the legs. As to how to go about improving it, I suggest you simplify the design. The best K-drives I saw last time around were built around single legs, and with the least amount of parts possible (one for the leg to go through, another to push against, and enough ancillary equipment to keep the thing pointed where you want to go).

Rune. Good luck taming krakens!

Super Reliable, almost never mis-aligns and if it does you can just reset it. Also working on it.

Does anyone know how I can make something that makes radio craft interaction using a kdrive. I really want to try and make an "engine booster" type thing. But I don't know enuf about the kraken to do this

15 minutes ago, 322997am said:

Does anyone know how I can make something that makes radio craft interaction using a kdrive. I really want to try and make an "engine booster" type thing. But I don't know enuf about the kraken to do this

Do you mean like have a normal plane, and then you activate the K-Drive occasionally for a speed boost? If so you can do that with most K-Drives, assuming you can integrate it into a plane's designs

1 minute ago, HyperTek said:

Do you mean like have a normal plane, and then you activate the K-Drive occasionally for a speed boost? If so you can do that with most K-Drives, assuming you can integrate it into a plane's designs

I mean when there is a kdrive on the ground and it boosts the plane that is flying.

1 minute ago, 322997am said:

I mean when there is a kdrive on the ground and it boosts the plane that is flying.

well from my experience it's all dependent on the angle of the drive but really as long as it's on an angle it will produce forward thrust, again i'll recommend getting my Kraken drives as they have a very reliable mechanism and high thrust & TWR

I once made a machine completely out of massless stuff that had moving landing gear go into it and it did wacky stuff like teleport and suddenly lurch at mach4 somewhere (I lost the design but i might be able to remake it) the only downside is that it needs around Mach 1 to engage it's wackiness. It pulled around 20 g at its most(I used accelerometer and not max g force) so it might be a usable type of craft if tamed. It also was prone to disassembly and reassembly stuff and also pulled the camera in crazy ways.. Sorry no pics and no craft file.

1 minute ago, 322997am said:

I once made a machine completely out of massless stuff that had moving landing gear go into it and it did wacky stuff like teleport and suddenly lurch at mach4 somewhere (I lost the design but i might be able to remake it) the only downside is that it needs around Mach 1 to engage it's wackiness. It pulled around 20 g at its most(I used accelerometer and not max g force) so it might be a usable type of craft if tamed. It also was prone to disassembly and reassembly stuff and also pulled the camera in crazy ways.. Sorry no pics and no craft file.

i think this is before 1.0 since in 1.0 "massless" parts are massive now and add their mass and drag to their parent part.

8 minutes ago, EladDv said:

i think this is before 1.0 since in 1.0 "massless" parts are massive now and add their mass and drag to their parent part.

I started the game in1.0.2 

also the cubic octagonal strut is the lightest "root activated" as far as I can see. This is why it does not follow Newtonian physics.

2 minutes ago, HyperTek said:

You mean like it Wirelessly sends a force to the craft?

Yes that's what I mean

Edited by 322997am

Just now, 322997am said:

Yes that's what I mean

Stock, nope. Outside of some one in a million Kraken discovery. Even if you break the game to allow control over two separate craft (this has happened to me before) You would not be able to somehow broadcast the Kdrive effect into a separate ship.

Edited by Majorjim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.