The Kraken Program

If you activate a K-drive at high-but-not-high-enough speeds when close to a ground (<700m/s for kerbin, IIRC), what happens next depends on how does you craft behave when you take the K-drive active part and instantly freeze its position. We used to call it the kraken brake, and it's usually not good, since the rest of the parts do try to keep on going the way they were going. That's the takeover point between "ground" and "orbital" modes, BTW.

Rune. Can't remember if the cutoff speed was planet-related, but I once lifted a K-Drive ship (a Far Star, actually) to 70kms on ground effect, then went on conventional engines to go over 700m/s, then back to K-drive to achieve orbit.

Edited by Rune

8 minutes ago, kmMango said:

So, we now have the capability to go anywhere in the solar system, as long as you carry about 1400 m/s of Delta V to slow down once you get there.

Now, what do we do with it? Jool in a week?

Well other then small moons you could get anywhere once you achieve orbit around kerbin since 700 m/s is more than enough for most orbits

32 minutes ago, HyperTek said:

I think the next advancement for the K-Drive should be size, I'm hoping to make a damn good SSTO type plane with one built in, but I myself can't make any aside from the craft I already posted, least not a reliable, properly functioning one. -__-

The kraken s is about 1.25 m radius you could make an ssto from it but it would probably won't accelerate very fast

4 minutes ago, EladDv said:

The kraken s is about 1.25 m radius you could make an ssto from it but it would probably won't accelerate very fast

True, but even 1 g of acceleration for a few hours can get you a great deal of speed. Point it on a heading, leave it sit for an hour, bam, you're going 35000 m/s.

Is there any serious limitation stopping us from making them as small as the biggest part allows?

Also is there any potential to use Cargo Bays, or any of the other moving parts in/as KDrives? Wish I could help but I'm busy as help making my Kerbal Republic videos (Shameless plug :c)

http://youtu.be/YVHoeAGpzzg

Edited by HyperTek
Had to get the link

2 minutes ago, 322997am said:

Btw does anyone know the record time to duna with a kdrive in 1.0.5. Also 1.1 Might Injure the kraken.

Also ALL kraken drives will probably need a redesign for the new physics.

Currently I think no one has a recorded run though I did get to eve in a week.

4 minutes ago, EladDv said:

Currently I think no one has a recorded run though I did get to eve in a week.

I think we should find the most fast and the most reliable kdrive and understand it. Also if you use the offset+rotate tool service bays might be a viable option

• 3 weeks later...
On December 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Frozen_Heart said:

As the original creator of the K-Drive count me in. I've played around with designs a bit in 1.0.5 and its clear that the phenomenon still exists, as I can get them working for a few seconds. However the new joint system in 0.23.5 is too tough for the landing legs and just causes them to fail almost instantly. Landing gear don't seem to work in the same way. I'm going to try airbrakes next. 

Didn't Jenkens devise the K-Drive? 

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, max_creative said:

No, but apparently clipping wheels in each other will make stuff spin a lot. OOO when I download 1.1 I will make that into a kraken drive! Everyone go break physics!

To add to this: there's some settings in the wheels' CFGs that set how clipped the wheels have to be to be disabled.  Changing that should allow more glitchiness.

56 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

To add to this: there's some settings in the wheels' CFGs that set how clipped the wheels have to be to be disabled.  Changing that should allow more glitchiness.

The point of the K-drive is to act as a stock warp drive. If you have to play with the configs it is no longer stock.

45 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

I cant decide if this is blasphemy or worship for our lord...

Considering the amount of kerbals that get sacrificed to the Kraken for this research, most definitely worship.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.