Artificial Horizon (Meatball)

Hi, just got started. A very interesting and engaging game, I look forward to seeing where it will progress.

Have a question about the symbols on the artificial horizon; they are not documented anywhere that I can find, and I am having trouble getting my rockets to go where I want them to go. Pitchover is particularly hard, since even simple rockets tend to want to roll.

Furthermore, it's unclear exactly what the function of SAS is, and how to use it during pitchover. Sure, it's great for keeping your rocket going straight up, but as soon as I want to pitchover, I have to turn it off, and then things go to hell.

What would be nice was if when SAS was on, the pitch/yaw/roll keys let you tell the rocket what attitude you want to be in, and SAS tried to get and keep you there. But that does not seem to be the case.

Welcome to the KSP Forums!

The yellow/green icons are your prograde velocity vector and the one with the x is the retrograde velocity vector. i.e. where you're going and the opposite.

The purple indicator is the location of the KSC and the one with the x is the opposite side of where KSC is.

The SAS is just an attitude hold. It's not really meant to steer the craft. If you craft goes off course a lot when it's on, you may need to add more of them.

Happy Launching!

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Ah, so if I toggle SAS off, make a quick tweak to attitude, and then toggle it on again, it will hold the new attitude?

Yes, the SAS tries to maintain the attitude it had when it was activated.

In theory, yes, in practice, not always. If you can get your heading set and no drift, turn on and it will do it's best to hold course.

Until we get real piloting modules, we have to make do with what we got.

If you check the Projects and Releases forum you can find an SAS that someone has tuned for better control.

Just remember, the more force and size your rocket has, the less help the SAS modules will be. At some point you can't add enough modules to overcome the power of the rocket without degrading it's performance to useless.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky