Suggestion: Add an orbit counter

I've started a new sandbox game and with inspiration from @ZooNamedGames, I've begun a space program for the United Kerbin Republic... As I was preparing to compose mission objectives for each of the missions in the initial program, I decided to take a page from NASA/NACA and actually set early goals for a specific number of orbits. During the first flight, I discovered something for the first time - KSP does not count the number of orbits around any body within the game!

So, it's another suggestion by me so feel free to ignore it; I think that having a counter that can be toggled to count orbits when around a body within the Kerbol System would be a tremendous help...

I'd not thought of that, it wouldn't make a huge difference, but it would be a nice thing to have.

I imagine it could be fairly easy to implement too.  Maybe it could be in the right click menu for a capsule or probe core, it gives current total plus an option to start again from zero. To avoid needing to reference a specific longitude it could start counting (at 0) the first time it passes Ap then adds one each time it passes Ap again. 

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

I'd not thought of that, it wouldn't make a huge difference, but it would be a nice thing to have.

I imagine it could be fairly easy to implement too.  Maybe it could be in the right click menu for a capsule or probe core, it gives current total plus an option to start again from zero. To avoid needing to reference a specific longitude it could start counting (at 0) the first time it passes Ap then adds one each time it passes Ap again. 

Yes, that's what I thought - and it wouldn't need to be available for EVERY cockpit or crew module either. I almost envision it being a part like what is used for MechJeb 2 or the old tape deck for KER - that once it is installed on a ship, it then will count orbits as you have so well suggested. Once it is activated, it could have a HUD much like KER already does - maybe it could be integrated into KER...  All I know is it is not a MUST-HAVE, but a nice to have!

Like a lap counter for racing but arguably, not as useful. Ide like it just the same though.

Would be even nicer if Kerbal Alarm clock could alert you on a given orbit too, then it would be useful just as an afterthought.

Edited by Kevin Kyle

Well, i think i would find it useful, as I have missed proper satellite placement when setting up networks, using resonant orbits, due to "accidentaly" :D , warping past the ONE orbit I needed to hit...And then not knowing how many to do again, to get back to a proper insertion orbit... So, yes, that is one instance i would find it VERY helpful...And especially with  a"reset" function...

And, actually, another scenario might be while doing transfers/rendevous... I do mine with MJ autopilot mostly... WHen it needs to do 15 or more orbits (sometimes 100 or more), before the maneuver, it would be nice to know how many orbits it has done, and how many are left, so you can walk away from the computer for awhile, and periodically check on how many are left to go...

Edited by Stone Blue

On 07/12/2015, 19:56:48, Shpaget said:

Why? If your craft can make one orbit it can make as many as you like.

Simple, it can be interesting at times to know how many orbits you have done.

And it also opens the door to 'make X number of orbits around...' type contracts and being able to check how many you have done. 

Not a big deal, or essential at all, but a nice option to have.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

How is that contract any different than "Achieve orbit around ...?" Once in orbit, you can do as many as you like, without any further input of effort.

Correct, but it could add 'flavour' to an otherwise ordinary contract, and give a time delay for payout for a contract to simulate an experiment conducted over time. 

Again,  not a big deal.  A nice thing to have even if just for interest. Especially as it is probably very easy to implement and presumably would have no noticeable performance implications.

Never thought of that. It would be interesting, but this "flavour" would be continuously be counting on every single ship that's in orbit simultaneous. Would the calculations be worth it? The additions to the manoeuvre nodes as @Skalou said would be helpful for game play reasons.

Without a practical reason for this I don't know if it should be put in, it would be a fun little trivia to know, but ultimately will always just be trivia .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.