Brave New World - Stories of the Kerbal Space Center [I'm as surprised as you are that it's back}

Daelkyr

Tito Kerman First "Space Tourist"

Kerbal Space Tourism Schedules IPO

By Walter Kerman - The Daily Planet - Kerlon 16, 720

Two days after the disastrous launch of Muna I, the crowds around the Kerbal Space Center (KSC) were smaller and the excitement muted for the launch of Moho III. The familiar profile of the 1.875 m lower stage and solid rocket boosters and the upper stage capped with a Mk1/Mk1-85 capsule gleamed in the late morning light as Mission Control kept a running countdown to launch. The unusual nature of this flight was not lost on any press or on-lookers present. Billionaire Tito Kerman, founder of the video game empire Katari was scheduled to ride as a passenger with "First Four" kerbonaut Valentina Kerman. The orbital flight was scheduled to last for four hours as Moho III circled Kerbin every 30 minutes. Statements made by employees of Katari wishing to remain anonymous indicated that Jebediah "Jeb" Kerman, another "First Four" kerbonaut was slated to be the pilot of Moho III, but Jebediah is part of the group of staff from the KSC testifying at the capital about the Muna I explosion.

As the clock reached T -0 seconds, Muna III ignited its engine and boosters and the majestic vessel rose from the launchpad and into the sky. The rocket sailed into the upper atmosphere, jettisoning its booster rockets without incident. The long cylinder continued onward until the space travelers entered a stable orbit around Kerbin and began the hours long voyage. An interesting addition to the launch was several planes circling the rocket as it lifted into space. Chartered by Kerbal Space Tourism, these planes provided unique views of the liftoff.

After four hours in space, Moho III fired its engines on last time and Tito and Valentina fell back to Kerbin and splashed down safely in the ocean east of the KSC. Both kerbonaut and tourist were pulled from the water safely by Rescue and Retrieval teams standing by. After being checked out for any ill effects from the short trip into orbit, Tito Kerman traveled back to the KSC  for a press conference. Standing shoulder to shoulder with Skyler Kerman, Public Relations, Tito discussed his experience in space and plans for his new company.

Tito began by thanking the KSC for creating a reliable space vehicle. "I want to thank everyone here who has shed blood, sweat, and tears to move kerbbed space flight to where it is today," Tito said. "I won't pretend that I was anything else but cargo on this amazing flight. But that was an incredible ride." When asked about the plans for Kerbal Space Tourism he responded by talking about his goal for reasonably inexpensive space flight, both orbital and suborbital to become a thing in the near future. "I want those who can afford it... Hell! I want those who can't reasonably afford it to have the opportunity to share the same experience I have." When questioned about what type of vessel would be used for transporting kerbals, Tito stated that he would be contracting the KSC for more Moho rockets to carry space tourists.

Skyler Kerman discussed why the KSC would join with Kerbal Space Tourism. "We are always looking at ways to safely push the boundaries of what is possible with space travel." She said that Tito Kerman's plan for space tourism was something that Jebediah Kerman had wanted long before Kerbin I's historic flight. "Many of us here don't want to see only kerbonauts go into space. We want to open space up to everyone: from the excited kerbbit to that kerbbit's school teacher." When asked if space tourism would change the mission of the KSC, Skyler was adamant that there would be no change. "We are first and foremost charged with exploring the limits of space travel. We will continue the Moho and Muna programs until their objectives are met and then find new horizons to explore. But Kerbal Space Tourism will partner with us to let those horizons that have been safely mapped have visitors that want to tread where their heroes have walked."

At press time, Tito Kerman has announced that Kerbal Space Tourism will hold an Initial Public Offering at the beginning of next month.

Interview with Tito Kerman

Walter Kerman had the opportunity to meet with Billionaire Tito Kerman after Moho IIIi

Walter Kerman (W): Tito Kerman. You have been in the news for many years. But always because of your company Katari. Why the interest in space?

Tito Kerman (T): Well Walter, That's a great question. What it really comes down to is... That is to say... Katari had a single goal. Bring video games out of the arcades and into peoples homes. Their hands. And that's what I want to do here.

W: Can you elaborate on this idea?

T: Of course, of course. When video games came out, you had to go to an arcade. Wait in line. Watch other kerbals play...

W: I was referring to your interest in space flight.

T: *chuckles* Oh... yeah. Right. Same concept. You can come down the the KSC [Kerbal Space Center] and watch the launches. You can read about them in the paper. Which you are just fantastic an writing about, I might add. Or watch them on television. But that's just the arcade all over again. I want to give people the chance to actually go there.

W: To have the rockets in their homes, as it were.

T: Exactly. It wont' be cheap to start with... But I plan on changing how space travel is done.

W: What do you have in mind.

T: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

W: Yes?

T: Reusable.

W: Exactly how do yo mean?

T: Reusable ships. Not rockets that shed everything on the way up and down. Something that will bring most. Hell! ALL of it back. Fill it up and fly it again. Imagine what that would do for space tourism. Boom! Savings galore. And I pass it all along to the public.

W: You mentioned that you planned on making space flights available for those who "couldn't afford it". What is your thinking on this?

T: It's still very speculative. I'm fighting Woz[bak Kerman, co-founder of Katari] on the details. Basically, a lottery system. Think about it. Everyone pays a tiny bit for a ticket. Boom! You win, you go. If you don't, you paid for the one who went. And you get... like a box of stuff. A shirt. A hat. A little plastic rocket that was actually in space. That sort of thing.

W: An interesting idea. What do you say to the critics that you are trying to monetize space?

T: Someone has to! Are you mental? You think putting flags and boots on Mun will keep rockets flying? Planes didn't catch on until we started using them for vacations. Sure, Amelia Kerman set every flight record ever. But nobody paid her. Arebus Kerman opens up the first commercial flight company. Boom! We have planes everywhere. Making space cheap and reliable. Accesable! It's the only way to keep KSC going to infinity. And beyond.

W: One final question. Will there be any video game deals now that you are partnering with the KSC

T: Yes. Well no. Not in the official capacity of Kerbal Space Tourism. But Katari will be working on two different games. One will be a cockpit flight simulator game. Working title is Moho. The other is more of a space program simulator. Woz wants to call it Kerbal Space Program. That will never catch on. I'm thinking more along the lines of "Jeb" Kerman's Race Into Space. Of course... licensing and all that.

Minister of Transporation Continues Muna I Hearings

Minister of Transporation, Mondale Kerman continued hearings today on the safety of unkerbbed rockets at the capital. After hearing testimony from numerous department heads from the Kerbal Space Center (KSC) yesterday, Mondale called engineers and managers from Probobodyne to the stand today to discuss the computer "brain" of Muna I. As was repeated many times yesterday, the Probobodyne employees said that the Stayputnik Mk1. was built to KSC specifications and tolerences. It was indicated that the lack of controls outside of engine gimballing was a known issue, but numerous simulations had shown the possibility of an incident like Muna I in a statistically low likelihood.

As the hearings are scheduled to enter their final day, already there is talk that Muna II, currently under construction at the KSC vehicle assembly building will require certain flight control upgrades before it is cleared to launch. Gene Kerman, Flight Director stated that the KSC would "comply with whatever safety measures are deemed appropriate" but would press on with the Muna program. Mondale Kerman was unavailable for comment.

Muna II Has Successful Liftoff

Un-Kerbbed Probe Departs for Munar "Flyby"

By Walter Kerman - The Daily Planet - Kerlon 23, 720

While the crowds of space flight fans keep themselves at a safer distance than the ill-fated Muna I launch, their enthusiasm for the latest Munshot was no less subdued then on Kerlon 14 when the Kerbal Space Center (KSC) last attempted a munar "flyby". Muna II sat on the launch pad, gleaming in the early morning sunlight as mission control and ground crews ran thru pre-flight checklists while the launch timer made its way steadily to zero. Reassurances from the KSC that Muna II met and exceeded all un-kerbbed safety mandates set by the Ministry of Transporation following a three day hearing. When the clock reached zero, the HGR FG-90 engine at the base of Muna II ignited and lifted the gleaming rocket skyward while onlookers waited silently to see if the probe would suffer the same fate as its predecessor.

It became immediately obvious that Muna II was made of sterner stuff. The new rocket, aided by a series of wheels designed to allow it to correct its motion during the flight, flew the now familiar course of slow but steady arc over the ocean. The Probobodyne Stayputnik Mk1 core sent numerous telemetry and data readings back to mission control as dozens of kerbals watched computer monitors giving data on the rockets ascent. Loudspeakers, radios, and televisions across the continent announced the news when Muna II cleared 2000 meters, 10,000 meters, and then 20,000 meters. At the 20 km mark, the normally laconic announcer reported that Muna II was "a real beauty and she's flying true". With this unexpected show of emotion, the watching crowds along the coast and the mission control teams all erupted into cheers for the rapidly rising rocket.

After spending 30 minutes in orbit around Kerbin performing systems checks and performing various scientific experiments, After all systems checked out, Bobak Kerman, Mission Controller gave the order to have Muna II perform a Transmuner Injection [TMI] burn. This long firing of Muna II's upper stage LV-T909 engine would place the probe on a flyby of Mun. Once there it will take photographs, perform science experiments, and send back telemetry data  All needful information for a planned probe landing of future Muna program rockets. An hour after Muna II had left on its day and a half long journey to Mun, the probe turned its camera back towards Kerbin and sent the KSC the first picture of Kerbin in its entirety. Already dubbed "Smile!", the photograph is having record first print orders.

Bobak Kerman, Mission Controller and Skyler Kerman, Public Relations were on had to answer press questions following the successful TMI burn of Muna II. When asked what measures were taken to prevent another probe disaster, Bobak was quick to assure reporters that Muna II was in full compliance with Ministry of Transportation mandates. "We have provided stabilizing fin technology for our lower stage. In addition, the craft has a reaction wheel technology similar to what is used in our Mk1 capsules." Bobak also explained that the Stayputnik Mk1 would be used only for Muna II and that the KSC and Probobodyne were already designing a new probe core that would contain more advanced controls to ensure safer un-kerbbed flights.

Skyler Kerman discussed why probe space flight was a vital technology. "The KSC has long known that un-kerbbed rockets would be a necessary part of space flight." Skyler discussed the need for long term observations of Kerbin, Mun, and even Minmus. "We can't expect to send kerbals out to wherever and hope we designed the rockets well enough. We do not take those kinds of risks." She also stated that the KSC had plans to explore objects farther than Kerbin's moons and that probes would be able to provide knowledge about those celestial bodies in preparation for kerbbed landings.

When asked about the next flight in both Moho and Muna, Bobak discussed the upcoming Moho IV launch. "We plan to send Hudley and rookie pilot Theodan into a polar orbit to test orbital satellite experiments." Bobak explained that this data would be helpful for future polar missions and assist with the data needed to improve Mun launches. The next Muna launch would be a series of probe "satellites" to allow the KSC to stay in communication with soon to be constructed munar probe landers that would perform scientific research and give valuable data on future kerbbed landings on Mun.

Muna II

Contributed by LInus Kerman, Head of Applied Science

Muna II has seen several upgrades in design from its predecessor. After extensive internal review of the Muna I incident, the blame was placed on a lack of flight control for the rocket. As was detailed in the Muna I hearings, the first Muna rocket relied solely on gimbal engine controls for steering. That was insufficient to regain control in the event of flight dynamic lose. Muna II answers those concerns in two ways. The first is control surface fins. The second is a reaction wheel system.

The control surface fins function much like the previous Muna fins. To act as stabilizers during liftoff. But Muna II includes control surfaces designed to allow the rocket to steer in flight. Combined with the gimbal engine nozzles of the HGR FG-90 engine used to lift the rocket, this provides an exponential increase in flight control. Tests and simulations show that Muna II could recover from a flight dynamic lose that had the rocket pitch off by 30 degrees. The combination also allows minor adjustments during flight without the need to use the engines to perform them.

The reaction wheel system is an adaptation of hardware used in the Mk1 capsule. Originally used as part of a fly-by-wire system,the reaction wheel system uses a series of spinning discs that are going "Very Fast", to generate the torque necessary to control Muna II without wasting any propellant. Originally, the probe would steer its upper stage by using small amounts of thrust from the LV-T909 engine. But the reaction wheels will allow this and all future probes to be able to perform nimble, precise adjustments at will.

Both of these design elements will be included in future Muna program crafts. As well, Probobodyne and the Kerbal Space Center are in the design and testing stages of a new probe core that will include a basic flight control system. This will allow future Muna probes to have directions or headings set and then require minimal supervision. Handing off flight performance to the probe will become vital as we venture further from Kerbin and the time for a signal between mission control and the probe reach seconds and then minutes.

Great history!
This is  the best "from the beginning" threads that I've se. I'm newbie and  I
would be interested to know if you will be so kind to answer some questions.

• I think you are usin KER and USI Life support, but What other MODs are you using?
  • Why use USI and not TAC for life support?
  • In kerbin II you have mentioned a Crew Report Log System, is this a MOD?

Sorry my poor English and Thanks for your work

On 08/12/2015 at 4:48 AM, Daelkyr said:

This morning’s historic event will live on in the memories of all kerbals alive today. Today Kerbin became just a little bit smaller. But our universe became just a little bit larger. Foror so long, our heroes have been images of myth up in the sky. Now we can look up and see our heroes in the sky anew. But this time they are real, flesh and bone kerbals. Kerbals that ride chariots of fire towards the heavens and bring back knowledge of the journeys. This mythology is growing ever stronger because of Valentina Kerman – First Kerbal in Orbit.

Have to admit that this choked me up some. Not sure how I've managed to miss this series but I'm catching up right now. And I love the mission patches!

4 hours ago, Quijote said:

Great history!
This is  the best "from the beginning" threads that I've se. I'm newbie and  I
would be interested to know if you will be so kind to answer some questions.

• I think you are usin KER and USI Life support, but What other MODs are you using?
  • Why use USI and not TAC for life support?
  • In kerbin II you have mentioned a Crew Report Log System, is this a MOD?

Sorry my poor English and Thanks for your work

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot.

There's a mod list in the first post.

When I started this, I wanted a life support mod that was simple but not ridiculously simply. I see it as Snacks > USI-LS > TAC LS

The Crew Report Log System is a fancy name for the Crew Report experiment.

2 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot.

Thanks for your help

There's a mod list in the first post.

I´m blind :blush:

When I started this, I wanted a life support mod that was simple but not ridiculously simply. I see it as Snacks > USI-LS > TAC LS

Ok. 

8 hours ago, KSK said:

Have to admit that this choked me up some. Not sure how I've managed to miss this series but I'm catching up right now. And I love the mission patches!

Wow. Thank was a touching compliment. Thanks @KSK Thanks a lot.

Muna II Returns Pictures of Mun

Moho IV Prepares for Polar Orbit of Kerbin

By Walter Kerman - The Daily Planet - Kerlon 24, 720

One day after leaving Kerbin's orbit, Muna II successfully completed it's planned munar flyby. The un-kerbbed probe lauched from the Kerbal Space Center (KSC) early on Kerlon 23. The first successful probe launch, Muna II was a make or break mission for remote exploration of space after the disastrous launch of Muna I, which lost control during liftoff and exploded in the ocean. The KSC had spent an incredible amount of money, time, and kerbpower to ensure that a repeat of the doomed probe would not be repeated and that preparation seemed to have paid off. While the launch itself went off without a hitch, the "slow" journey to Mun was not without incident. Four hours into the flight and only two hours from Muna II's flyby approach, mission control was notified that one of the precious batteries that supplied power the the probe had lost connection and could no longer be used. Mission control deemed the lose of electricity to be "mission non-critical" and the probe continued on its way.

At just over six hours from it's launch, Muna II sailed into a munar flyby. This was signified by having Mun's gravity sphere of influence overtake Kerbin's. As the probe sailed ever closer, mission control back at the KSC was a hive of activity as dozens of kerbals called out flight telemetry, activated cameras, and recorded a battery of scientific data from Muna II's numerous orbital experiments. After exhausting the probes flight plan of exploration and science, Linus Kerman, Head of Applied Sciences and Bobak Kerman, Mission Controller were seen in conference about a last minute flight plan change. After discussing the change with the Applied Sciences backroom and Flight Dynamics controllers, the decision was made to de-orbit Muna II and crash it into Mun instead of allowing it to wander aimlessly though space. At one day, two hours, and 17 minutes, Muna II briefly became the first kerbmade object to land on another celestial body.

Linus Kerman, Head of Applied Sciences and Skyler Kerman, Public Relations were on had to answer questions about the success of Muna II's mission. Skyler started by congratulating the KSC and especially Applied Sciences and Operations on the achievement of munar flyby. "We have to really acknowledge Linus and Gus [Kerman, Head of Operations] and their teams today," Skylar said. "Without the tireless work of them and Probobodyne for answering all of the technical difficulties that have been presented so far, Muna II would not have been nearly as successful." She also mentioned the continuing work of the KSC in "expanding the limits of kerbal exploration both in LKO [Low Kerbin Orbit] and beyond."

Linus stated why a flyby was important to future Muna program missions. "We had to prove that we could reach targets beyond orbit around Kerbin. And the flyby is just the first step." When asked what was next for the program, Linus discussed the need for more orbital data from Mun and the requirement of munar satellite relays to aid in probe exploration. "Muna III and IV will be a pair of scientific probes. III will contain a radar altimeter for terrain mapping. IV will take an orbital telescope like the one to be used on Moho IV." Linus continued by stating that both probes would be put into a "relay" orbit after their initial scientific missions were completed. He also said that Explorer I, a Kerbin based satellite would perform the same mission as Muna III for Kerbin as a hardware test of the scientific equipment.

As the press conference wound down, Skylar Kerman stated that public relations had spent the evening searching among the numerous images transmitted back from Muna II for one or two that would inspire the continued mission of the Muna program. Then she had two large posters moved on stage, one draped with the flag of the Kerbin Republic and the other with the Muna mission patch. She pulled back the mission patch cover and introduced an incredible closeup of Mun's surface. Then she removed the second cover and revealed an image that contained Mun in the foreground and Kerbin in the background. "We're calling them Munfall and There and Back Again."

Profile of a Kerbonaut

Hudley Kerman was the first kerbonaut recruit after the selection of the "First Four". But he is not a newcomer to the Kerbal Space Center (KSC). Serving in the test pilot school two years behind Jebediah "Jeb" Kerman, Hudley also had earned an impressive resume of piloting before joining the KSC to assist with aerodynamic design adaptations begin incorporated into the Kerbin program of rockets. Like Jebediah, Hudley held two degrees, one in aerodynamic theory and the other in engineering, allowing him to wield a wrench as well as a flight stick.

As the field for kerbonauts narrowed from 16 down to 8 and then finally to 6 potential candidates, Hudley found himself on the cusp of joining the first class of kerbonauts. But a series of final medical examinations showed that Hudley had a minor atrial fibrillation and he was excluded from the "Final Four" and grounded from any flying. Hudley didn't let this setback discourage him. He began a radical diet and exercise regime that helped cease his fibrillation and he was cleared for flight status and assigned to Moho II with veteran Valentina Kerman.

Valentina described Hudley as "the hardest working kerbal I know. I don't think anyone has wanted to be a kerbonaut as bad or worked as hard as he has. When everyone else is done for the day in the simulators or mission planning, Hudley is always trying to talk us into just one more hour. If he's not careful, he's going to work himself back into another fibrillishion." [sic] Now joined by rookie pilot Theodan Kerman, Hudley is referring to himself a part of the "New Two."

Great pictures of the Mun and Kerbin. :) Wild Blue ordered up a print to hang on their walls to inspire the engineers. They're hard at work fixing issues in the Appaloosa that resulted in the new 1.1 Flight Regime Standards document and should have it fixed before the MOHO IV flight. :)

@Angel-125 I'm really excited about the next little bit. I'll have enough science to research the Moho Orbital Laboratory Extension (M.O.L.E.) :wink: I'd love to switch to 1.1 even more, but two of my mods aren't updated yet. Hullcam VDS is a must have because I use it for a lot of my ship and all of my probe camera shots. DangIt! would be nice but not vital. So I'll keep limping on in 1.0.5 until updates happen.

11 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

@Angel-125 I'm really excited about the next little bit. I'll have enough science to research the Moho Orbital Laboratory Extension (M.O.L.E.) :wink: I'd love to switch to 1.1 even more, but two of my mods aren't updated yet. Hullcam VDS is a must have because I use it for a lot of my ship and all of my probe camera shots. DangIt! would be nice but not vital. So I'll keep limping on in 1.0.5 until updates happen.

Ah, makes sense. I'm aiming for next week to get back to the MOLE (KSP 1.1 issues notwithstanding ) but maybe I can port some of the parts and props to 1.0.5 as well..

• 3 months later...

Kerbal Space Center Begins Massive Expansion

New Kerbonauts Join KSC

By Walter Kerman - The Daily Planet - Kerlon 26, 720

The Kerbal Space Center (KSC) continues to break news after yesterday’s successful flyby of Mun with their Muna II probe. The newest development from the rapidly expanding space program is one of growth. In a press release from the office of Skyler Kerman, Head of Public Relations, announcements for improvements for the KSC’s tracking station, Vehicle Assembly Building, and even construction on a secondary launch pad were announced. The release explained that these improvements were needed in light of the space programs expanding goals for exploration as well as their partnership with Kerbal Space Tourism. Sources wishing to remain anonymous say that the construction boom are the results of a large influx of cash from Rockomax Corporation, Kerbodyne, and personal investments from Tito Kerman, founder of Katari.

Upcoming plans for the KSC include the polar launch of Moho IV on Kerlon 27 and a launch of a Kerbin bound probe satellite called Explorer I in the coming days. Questions on why this non-Muna program probe is taking precedence over Muna III & IV were answered by Bobak Kerman, Mission Controller. Bobak said, “We plan on using new technology from DMagic Inc for our next Muna probes and we want to make sure they will work.” Bobak explained that both Moho IV and Explorerer I would use parts of the technology included in the Muna program. The latest Moho rocket would certify an orbital telescope. And the Explorer rocket (a new term for Kerbin-based science probes) would certify solar powered electrical panels and DMagic’s radar altimeter. “The next pieces of technology are very ‘Mission Critical’ for Muna program and we want to make sure they will work,” said Bobak.

Two Wild Blue Industries Personnel Join Kerbal Space Center

A resounding success of the Kerbal Space Program (KSC) has been its two-kerbal Moho rocket ships. And the secret to that success has been the Wild Blue Industries Mk 1-85 Appaloosa  Capsule Extension. This “backseat” has been responsible for allowing firsts such as two-kerbal flight, first extra-vehicular activity (space walk), and three day long duration flight. The company that designed the Mk 1-85 has become an integral part of the KSC’s future Moho plans and have lent expertise and personal to assist with the accomplishments of the Moho program.

While the partnership with Wild Blue Industries will continue as both they and the KSC begin designs for a new modern two-kerbal capsule for future missions, two key Wild Blue Industries personnel have made the move to full time kerbonauts. Mitch Kerman, a veteran Wild Blue test pilot and Danline Kerman, a scientist and materials expert. Both will bolster the KSC kerbonaut corp and are expected to join in future Moho space flights.

Moho IV Takes Kerbonauts Over The Poles

Construction Delays Muna Probes

By Walter Kerman - The Daily Planet - Kerlon 27, 720

An early morning launch time did not deter thousands of kerbals from lining up all along the "Rocket Coast" as Moho IV prepared to launch from the newly designated Launch Pad 1A at the Kerbal Space Center (KSC). As super-cooled fuel was piped into the waiting rocket stack, a small white van carrying veteran Hudley Kerman and rookie Theodan Kerman arrived with cheers racing thought the crowds. Both kerbals stopped and waved at the waiting audience before ascending the mobile elevator platform that rested next to Moho IV. Anticipation climbed as the clock counted down towards zero. And at T- minus zero seconds, Moho IV leaped from the launch pad and soared its way into space.

The launch of Moho IV marks eleven days since the last kerbbed rocket flight, Moho III, and 22 days since the last flight that had a scientific mission as its goal. Instead of the familiar climb over the Eastern Sea, Moho IV pitched itself north in an attempt to perform the polar orbit for the KSC. According to Linus Kerman, head of Applied Sciences, this mission would be one of the most demanding placed on the current Moho rocket stack. The goals of the mission were to test out an orbital telescope designed by DMagic Inc. When asked why a unkerbbed satellite such as the recently announced Explorer I couldn't make such a mission, Linus explained that Explorer I would utilize newer probe core technology that was developed after Moho IV's mission profile was designed. "Rather than scrub a mission that would provide valuable training for Theodan [Kerman], we decided to stay the course and integrate a Probododyne OKTO core into Moho IV a shadow pilot," Linus said. Thiswould allow Theodan and Hudley to fly the rocket while Mission Control could check the probe core to see if it would follow the same general flight path.

After two and a half hours in space, Moho IV had captured basic telescopic images of Kerbin. The mission than called for Theodan to perform an EVA [space walk] to collect the scientific data for return to Kerbin. Following a four minute excursion, Theodan safely returned to the craft and Moho IV began its descent back through the atmosphere. After the two kerbonauts safely splashed down in the ocean, Rescue and Retrieval vessels were on hand to bring them back to the KSC. Both kerbal were examined by medical personnel and are said to be in good health.

A press conference was held by Skylar Kerman, Head of Public Relations and Bobak Kerman, Mission Controller. Bobak spoke first, congratulating Theodan for successfully completing his first mission as a kerbonaut. Bobak went on to say that the scientific data recovered from Moho IV was already being analyzed by Research and Development as copies of it were being supplied to several universities that had requested it. When asked what the next mission for the KSC would be, he discussed plans to send an unkerbbed probe, Explorer I, in the same polar orbit for detailed radar altimeter scans of Kerbin. When questioned why a kerbbed Moho V wouldn't be making such a trip, Skylar answered that Explorer I's mission calls for an eight day orbit to map the planet. "I don't think even Val[entina Kerman, First Four kerbonaut] would be willing to sit up there doing nothing that long," Skylar said to laughs from the gathered reporters.

When questioned about a rumored delay with the latest Muna program probes, Muna III and IV, Skylar answered that the rumors were true. "We have three shifts working to get construction done as quickly as possible, but a VAB [Vehicle Assembly Building] was not designed for such a massive overhaul while still serving rockets." Skylar went on to state that the VAB upgrades should be done within ten days and that while construction on the Muna satellites would be delayed, there would be no compromise on safety. "We don't cut corners at the KSC. We'll build them safe before we'll build them fast," Skylar said. Bobak concluded the press conference by assuring that kerbbed and unkerbbed flights would continue and that the "growing pains" of the KSC herald great things to come.

OXviMhi.png

Moho IV Mission Images

Moho IV and Beyond - Advances in Rocket Science

Contributed by Linus Kerman, Head of Applied Science

Moho IV represents a continuous evolution of the Moho series of rockets. Featuring the venerable Mk1/Mk1-85 capsule on top, the upper stage booster phases out the 1.25m mid stack and replaces it with a short 1.875m fuel tank and the LV-T909 engine. This update lowers the power that the Moho IV has in it's upper stage, but allows it to perform more varied mission profiles that demand more fuel. Moho IV's polar orbital mission is one such reason to make the switch but others will follow.

The addition of weight that the upper stage adds to Moho IV requires a new set of maths for the 1.875 lower stage. Both the BACC Solid Fuel Booster and the HGR FG-90 twin engine needed to have their thrust increased to lift the additional weight off the ground  However, due to the nature of rocket science Moho IV pushes the limit of what the current lower stage and SRBs [Solid Rocket Boosters]. The addition of the SRBs after Moho I was never meant as a permanent fixture.

Research and Development and Applied Sciences has been working hard on the next advances in the Moho rocket series. A new dedicated lower stage engine, HGR FG-120 features four .625 nozzles to the FG-90's two. In addition, Bill Kerman has been personally overseeing an uprated LV-T45 with Danline Kerman, formerly with Wild Blue Industries. This new LV-T270 brings an incredible amount of lifting power, especially when clustered in twos or fours. Finally, Rockomax Corporation has been having our Research and Development teams advise on a new series of 2.5m tanks and engines that they are developing for 'heavy lift" purposes.

Besides advances in rocket engines, Applied Sciences has been hard at work streamlining the process of rocket manufacture. With the need for more and more launches, any place to cut expenses while maintaining or improving safety is an advantage. That is why we are working to develop standardized launch vehicles. While they won't be introduced until the FG HGR-120 is finished, Once the machining and production line is completed, being able to pair set lower stages, upper stages, payloads, and SRBs as needed will allow a safer more reliable launch vehicle and a reduced cost. 

Edited by Daelkyr

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.