Pol awereness

322997am

Pol is just about my favourite place in the Jool system. 

Mid you want to set up a real space program inside the Joolian worlds, Pol might be the best place to set up your first base. It has:

-low gravity and therefore low delta v

-ample ore

-a low inclination orbit (compared to Bop)

bringing resources from the surface of Pol to the orbit of Laythe requires less Delta V than bringing resources up from the surface of Laythe. 

Did I mention the landscapes of Pol?

The only problem with Pol is the terrain bug which will make the ground sometimes disappear when you come in for a landing. 

I don't really like the people that say "jool 5" because that is just for getting a check mark. If you are told to be friends with a new kid by the principal will you do it? Yes. Will you be his friend? No.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late, but want to chime in to. I've owned KSP since 0.16, but only just recently started playing a lot myself. I made my Mün landing in 0.18 I believe (after stranding Jeb on Minmus in nothing but a capsule in another save), and landed and returned from Minmus only a few days ago. I also within the past few days have sent a unmanned rover to Duna's South Pole (not the ideal landing site for a SOLAR powered rover), Dropped a landing probe into Eve, and missed Gilly in an Ion lander. With all this experience now under my belt, I have decided to land a Kerbal on a body outside Kerbin's SOI. But where?

Duna is the traditional choice, but tradition never particularly mattered to me. Gilly, Ike or Dres would be the reasonable choices, but are all kinda bland. Then of course, there's the most important factor: My favorite color is Yellow.

Welcome to the Pol Or Nothing Program (shortened to Pollo)

On 7.12.2015 at 0:14 AM, 322997am said:

So pol is the planet that gets ignored during jool missions.

I rather think that it wouldnt get ignored if Pol were less buggy. Afaig a quite large Number just ignore it because you explode while landing somewhere around 400 to 800 m above Ground.

Immersion breaking.

Its not 'Ignoring' its 'Avoiding' for good reasons.

On December 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM, nosirrbro said:

I havent yet ever been to pol, but this awareness thread has given me the inspiration to do it instead of what I usually do.

POL! POL! POL! POL

Huh. It's been a long time since this post and I still haven't been there, and I am currently on my pre-update hiatus, so it won't happen until at least 1.1

pol really does get ignored.

Well I can add some new ribbons: Jool and Pol Orbits! Equatorial at that! Of course we ran 100% out of fuel getting into that pol orbit. Pollo IV pictures and rescue mission tomorrow. Planning on sending out a probe with a closed off fuel tank and claw to refuel it enough to go down to the surface and mine it's own fuel. Might bring a scanner along with it.

• 1 year later...

I made an SSTO to fly around all the planets and moons in the Kerbol system, and when I 'landed' on Pol, it just exploded for some reason in thin air. Is this a bug, glitch, is it an easter egg or something else????? Since it is really annoying and Pol was the last thing on the list before returning to Kerbin.

1 hour ago, KerbalManiac said:

I made an SSTO to fly around all the planets and moons in the Kerbol system, and when I 'landed' on Pol, it just exploded for some reason in thin air. Is this a bug, glitch, is it an easter egg or something else????? Since it is really annoying and Pol was the last thing on the list before returning to Kerbin.

Hi @KerbalManiac welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of an exploding ship issue involving Pol.

Been there a few times myself. It's a good place to land a ship and refuel with an ISRU.

Kinda like Minmus in that regard. So easy to land on.

ME

17 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hi @KerbalManiac welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of an exploding ship issue involving Pol.

Been there a few times myself. It's a good place to land a ship and refuel with an ISRU.

Kinda like Minmus in that regard. So easy to land on.

ME

Ok well when I went to 'land' on Pol, I clearly saw ground below me, and as I went to make my descent at roughly 3m/s, my SSTO just blew up. I checked the flight log, and it said: Kerbol SSTO collided into Pol. Kerbol SSTO Debris collided into Pol. Lizicca Kerman was killed. Gerhat Kerman was killed. Ravie Kerman was killed. Exploration Rover crashed into Pol. Exploration Rover debris crashed into Pol. So it must of been a glitch or bug, because I clearly saw ground below me.

On 2/21/2016 at 2:20 AM, TonyC said:

Pol, being the second smallest body in the game, and the smallest in the Jool system, is a very nice place for ISRU.

It's great if you send a manned mission to scope out saddles and valleys for landing spots and plant flags. Otherwise, the terrain makes landing a mining rig just anywhere pretty rough. The nice thing is that it's one of the only places that a manned ion powered lander will work -- if you bring enough batteries to compensate for low solar energy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.