Say Hello to The Rep Grand Group! [07/19/16 UPDATE!]

Endersmens

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Rep:Postcount became a less useful metric when repping posts in areas where the posts don't add to postcount was implemented. A dank KSP meme in forum games might yield ten or more rep points but adds nothing to postcount.

The fact it can only increase and that it's fairly easy to farm (some posts yield a lot more rep than others: witty one-liners, stories and art are on top) also make it lose its significance.

I'm not a huge fan of having a total rep count next to your username (though I like the ability to "like" posts), IMO people give it too much importance and it becomes a race for the highest rep: subconsciously by making more "rep-profitable" content ("oh a lot of people like this post that I made, they'll be happy if I make more" and so on), or very consciously by outright farming rep/post ratio (using section that do not add to the total, or regularly posting on certain threads about how far you are to an imaginary VIP group).

Still, it's not that big of an issue on the forums, I don't find it actively decreases the quality/originality of content (as opposed to, say, Reddit where the omnipresent karma farming is obnoxious).

29 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

The fact it can only increase and that it's fairly easy to farm (some posts yield a lot more rep than others: witty one-liners, stories and art are on top) also make it lose its significance.

I'm not a huge fan of having a total rep count next to your username (though I like the ability to "like" posts), IMO people give it too much importance and it becomes a race for the highest rep: subconsciously by making more "rep-profitable" content ("oh a lot of people like this post that I made, they'll be happy if I make more" and so on), or very consciously by outright farming rep/post ratio (using section that do not add to the total, or regularly posting on certain threads about how far you are to an imaginary VIP group).

Still, it's not that big of an issue on the forums, I don't find it actively decreases the quality/originality of content (as opposed to, say, Reddit where the omnipresent karma farming is obnoxious).

*realises how much of a fame maniac he is*

Yeah you really have to watch out, or else an unconscionable lust for rep might drive you to spend thousands of hours creating content for the sole purpose of entertaining your fellow forum-goers. :/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2017 at 0:50 AM, Gaarst said:

Not sure I agree that stories are an easy way of farming rep. There are some notable counter examples of course but in my experience, the opposite tends to be the problem (naturally this depends on your definition of 'problem') - most stories don't get much rep, the author gets discouraged and the thread gets abandoned.

This from several years intermittently maintaining a story archive thread and spending the bulk of my forum time in the Fanworks section.

Edit. Also - and I'll cheerfully admit to being biased here - creating stories isn't particularly easy in the first place, created for rep farming or otherwise. :) 

Edited by KSK

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 7:50 PM, Gaarst said:

On 8/3/2017 at 2:58 PM, KSK said:

Not sure I agree that stories are an easy way of farming rep.

I agree with @KSK... writing Emiko Station is anything but easy. I've put literally thousands and thousands of game hours into creating all the screenshots I use, and thousands more into the actual writing. And while I admit almost my rep came from writing Emiko, rep-farming, or whatever, is absolutely the last reason I'm doing it.

1 hour ago, TheKSPBeginner said:

how kan I steal rep

You can't

Edited by Just Jim

On 9/3/2017 at 10:24 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

May I come in? *knocks softly* 

*Knocks softly*? :o

Dude, when I hit 1000 rep I didn't knock softly... I banged on that door as hard as I could! I wanted everyone to know I made it! :sticktongue:

Bang on that door hard and loud! Anyhow, congrats to you, @Lo Var Lachland!

Edited by adsii1970

On 9/3/2017 at 11:24 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Hold on... I'm not sure where exactly I am in the grand scheme... but I know I must be a senior member... let me take a look...

Stick out your tongue... say ahhhhh  :P

Hmmmm..... yeah, I suppose he's OK enough....

Come on in... :)

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Hold on... I'm not sure where exactly I am in the grand scheme... but I know I must be a senior member... let me take a look...

Stick out your tongue... say ahhhhh  :P

Hmmmm..... yeah, I suppose he's OK enough....

Come on in... :)

Wait - No one asked me to stick out my tongue... I feel cheated!

Anyhow... :sticktongue: Better late than never!

Thanks a lot @adsii1970 and @Just Jim! I can't wait to see how much further my forum adventure takes me. :D 

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

*Knocks softly*? :o

Dude, when I hit 1000 rep I didn't knock softly... I banged on that door as hard as I could! I wanted everyone to know I made it! :sticktongue:

Bang on that door hard and loud! Anyhow, congrats to you, @Lo Var Lachland!

I'm... HERE!!!! 

military-breaching-o.gif

*thud!*

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

17 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Thanks a lot @adsii1970 and @Just Jim! I can't wait to see how much further my forum adventure takes me. :D 

Hehehe...

Spoiler

You've asked me how I would use your user name in Kerny's story... be careful how you ask. I do have a tendency to become creative...

HeFTtMX.png

17 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I'm... HERE!!!!

*thud!*

Naw, man... that's child's play. This is "knocking" on the door...

Spoiler

@Lo Var Lachland, now that's KNOCKING! :D

Edited by adsii1970

45 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hehehe...

Reveal hidden contents

You've asked me how I would use your user name in Kerny's story... be careful how you ask. I do have a tendency to become creative...

HeFTtMX.png

Naw, man... that's child's play. This is "knocking" on the door...

Hide contents

@Lo Var Lachland, now that's KNOCKING! :D

LOL. "Orbital Station?" How famous was I to even get that station named after me? :wink: 

And... I beg to differ. THIS is how you knock:

1263772113769029670.gif

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Not to jinx myself.... but.... I'm nearing 2k........ 1.6... only 400 to go... This is gonna take forever... :/

Also, Where am I on the list?! I hit 1k in like... April? May? I want recognition goshdarnit! :P 

On 9/3/2017 at 10:24 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Screw knocking! When I got 1k I C4'd that bi- *Moderators glare in my general direction* That... Thing.

10 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

That... Thing.

Female Dog?

I don't think the OP has been updated in about a year or so, since Endermens is having difficulties IRL. I hope those go over well, and personally don't mind if he can't update due to IRL stuff.

Not to jinx myself.... but.... I'm nearing 2k........ 1.6... only 400 to go... This is gonna take forever... :/

Also, Where am I on the list?! I hit 1k in like... April? May? I want recognition goshdarnit! :P 

Screw knocking! When I got 1k I C4'd that bi- *Moderators glare in my general direction* That... Thing.

WHOA WHOA WHOA, Langu-age. :D

The thread isn't being maintained right now. Last I remember, @ZooNamedGames had discussed taking it over and maintaining it. Might want to check with him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.