Say Hello to The Rep Grand Group! [07/19/16 UPDATE!]

Endersmens

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

What's everyone's thoughts if a new group was to be made, the 2,000 Rep Grand group to replace this one (until @Endersmens gets back and either takes it back up or hands it off officially). It's just that this list is somewhat outdated and I don't want to simply recreate a new thread in the event he wants to take this back up.

So, would others like it if I made a 2,000 rep Grand Group? I'd manage it myself and all... so let me know what everyone here thinks.

I wouldn't mind. Another thing to go in my signature :P 

9 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

So, would others like it if I made a 2,000 rep Grand Group? I'd manage it myself and all... so let me know what everyone here thinks.

That would be cool... but honestly, I've got my sights on that magic 10,000 mark... is there a 10k group?

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That would be cool... but honestly, I've got my sights on that magic 10,000 mark... is there a 10k group?

There isn't an honestly I don't think there should be seeing as 98% will never reach it no matter how hard they try. Majority with more than 5k rep are moderators. So the list would consist of like 8 people (not including dummy accounts) and would be updated maybe once every 2 years.

If I were to make something higher than 2k it would be 5k as that's a bit easier to achieve.

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Can I ask that we not do signature badges? The group itself promotes rep exchanging enough as it is, a badge would only encourage it further. You can see the rep count in every post anyway. 

I'm not a badge maker myself (looks away at the two badges I made in my own signature). I agree that being on the list would be enough but if someone else makes a badge then I'm kinda powerless to stop them :sealed: .

8 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I agree that being on the list would be enough but if someone else makes a badge then I'm kinda powerless to stop them :sealed: .

Well, not really. You don't have to link it in your thread, after all.

11 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Well, not really. You don't have to link it in your thread, after all.

No but then someone else will make a thread to showcase it... but that's deviating from the point. I'll make a 2,000 Rep Group thread here later today.

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

There isn't an honestly I don't think there should be seeing as 98% will never reach it no matter how hard they try. Majority with more than 5k rep are moderators. So the list would consist of like 8 people (not including dummy accounts) and would be updated maybe once every 2 years.

If I were to make something higher than 2k it would be 5k as that's a bit easier to achieve.

I'm sorry... I was just kidding around. Honestly, the only 10k I know is @Kuzzter. And a few moderators.

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm sorry... I was just kidding around. Honestly, the only 10k I know is @Kuzzter.

Then again... it would be a huge honor to be in the same group as him... hmmmmm 

Indeed it would... I'd like to be next to users like RIC tbh. Whether in posts or in rep.

That said- making this is a lot harder than initially anticipated.

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Either that or finally find myself a creative niche to occupy!

Or just be like me - float all over the place and simply have fun!

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

You'll find it... or it will find you.... I have confidence. :wink:

Yup, you sure will. Even though I am still lookin' for my lost shaker of salt!

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Can I ask that we not do signature badges? The group itself promotes rep exchanging enough as it is, a badge would only encourage it further. You can see the rep count in every post anyway. 

You can't stop people from hacking the planet.

I like all the little badges people put in their sig.  An image will always more easily convey an idea than text.  Sure, I have my rep badges, but I also show my love / fear of the Kraken.  Some show off challenge badges, or badges for their mod catalog.  We shouldn't let a few bad apples ruin the bundle.

Edited by klgraham1013

55 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I like all the little badges people put in their sig.  An image will always more easily convey an idea than text.  Sure, I have my rep badges, but I also show my love / fear of the Kraken.  Some show off challenge badges, or badges for their mod catalog.  We shouldn't let a few bad apples ruin the bundle.

53 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I like the signature badges myself. In fact, I've got a whole thread where I keep a repository of them... :D Besides, they can actually inspire at times, or even give one a good laugh. 

I agree... I don't display them myself, except one... sort of....  I prefer to use my signature for a bit of shameless self-promotion... lol. :rolleyes:

But I've been watching things like the weekly challenges, and one thing is clear. People like to earn badges... a lot... no matter what they're for.  

Edited by Just Jim

I agree wholeheartedly with my esteemed colleague and fellow member of Rep10k: we do not, in fact, need any stinking badges. 10k transcends badges. It transcends popularity. It may even transcend reality. Someday it may even transcend SQUAD (at least by raw score), if I can ever get back to writing comics again.

By the time one has collected enough fake internet points to reach 10,000 one--all right, two, counting Red--should by then have realized how futile, how fleeting, how very Ecclesiastes it all really is: Vanity, vanity, all is vanity...et rep in arcadia ego.

37 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I agree wholeheartedly with my esteemed colleague and fellow member of Rep10k: we do not, in fact, need any stinking badges. 10k transcends badges. It transcends popularity. It may even transcend reality. Someday it may even transcend SQUAD (at least by raw score), if I can ever get back to writing comics again.

By the time one has collected enough fake internet points to reach 10,000 one--all right, two, counting Red--should by then have realized how futile, how fleeting, how very Ecclesiastes it all really is: Vanity, vanity, all is vanity...et rep in arcadia ego.

Yeah, rep was a big deal under the old forum - the mere obstacle of hitting 1,000 rep points was pretty intimidating and quite an accomplishment. However, under the new forum software, I've surpassed 1,000 a half dozen or so points ago. I'm not so much concerned with rep points but with actually making a difference on the forum and having some fun while I do it. :D 

14 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'm not against badges in general, just ones for reaching some arbitrary rep total.

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

I suppose, now that I think of it, I agree as well, even though I'm not a 10k member yet. Truth is, other than joking on here yesterday, I stopped paying much attention to my rep a long time ago. As long as I keep writing, it keeps going up, so why worry about it?. 

And I have several challenge badges and such... including the 1000 rep one... but I don't display them either. Only my Emiko banner.

Edited by Just Jim

I get rep for four thousand carefully crafted words written over the course of several weeks. I get more rep for a one-liner that happens to tickle enough funny-bones or for half a paragraph of opinion that happens to gibe with other people's thoughts.

For sure it's nice to be popular for whatever reason and I don't wish to detract from the high net rep individuals out there but, given that there are so many possible reasons for awarding rep, it seems odd to get hung up on it as a way of keeping score or as an achievement in its own right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.