Endersmens

Say Hello to The Rep Grand Group! [07/19/16 UPDATE!]

730 posts in this topic

Rep:Postcount became a less useful metric when repping posts in areas where the posts don't add to postcount was implemented. A dank KSP meme in forum games might yield ten or more rep points but adds nothing to postcount.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Rep:Postcount became a less useful metric when repping posts in areas where the posts don't add to postcount was implemented. A dank KSP meme in forum games might yield ten or more rep points but adds nothing to postcount.

The fact it can only increase and that it's fairly easy to farm (some posts yield a lot more rep than others: witty one-liners, stories and art are on top) also make it lose its significance.

I'm not a huge fan of having a total rep count next to your username (though I like the ability to "like" posts), IMO people give it too much importance and it becomes a race for the highest rep: subconsciously by making more "rep-profitable" content ("oh a lot of people like this post that I made, they'll be happy if I make more" and so on), or very consciously by outright farming rep/post ratio (using section that do not add to the total, or regularly posting on certain threads about how far you are to an imaginary VIP group).

Still, it's not that big of an issue on the forums, I don't find it actively decreases the quality/originality of content (as opposed to, say, Reddit where the omnipresent karma farming is obnoxious).

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

The fact it can only increase and that it's fairly easy to farm (some posts yield a lot more rep than others: witty one-liners, stories and art are on top) also make it lose its significance.

I'm not a huge fan of having a total rep count next to your username (though I like the ability to "like" posts), IMO people give it too much importance and it becomes a race for the highest rep: subconsciously by making more "rep-profitable" content ("oh a lot of people like this post that I made, they'll be happy if I make more" and so on), or very consciously by outright farming rep/post ratio (using section that do not add to the total, or regularly posting on certain threads about how far you are to an imaginary VIP group).

Still, it's not that big of an issue on the forums, I don't find it actively decreases the quality/originality of content (as opposed to, say, Reddit where the omnipresent karma farming is obnoxious).

*realises how much of a fame maniac he is*

Yeah you really have to watch out, or else an unconscionable lust for rep might drive you to spend thousands of hours creating content for the sole purpose of entertaining your fellow forum-goers. :/ 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 22/07/2017 at 0:50 AM, Gaarst said:

Not sure I agree that stories are an easy way of farming rep. There are some notable counter examples of course but in my experience, the opposite tends to be the problem (naturally this depends on your definition of 'problem') - most stories don't get much rep, the author gets discouraged and the thread gets abandoned.

This from several years intermittently maintaining a story archive thread and spending the bulk of my forum time in the Fanworks section.

Edit. Also - and I'll cheerfully admit to being biased here - creating stories isn't particularly easy in the first place, created for rep farming or otherwise. :) 

Edited by KSK
1 person likes this