KSP Caveman Challenge 1.1

KSP Caveman Challenge 1.1

Facilities upgrades are forbidden!

Crappy runway and launchpad.

Part count of thirty and vehicle mass limit of 18.0 tonne.

No fancy patched conics, maneuver nodes or any other luxuries.

Acquire 1188 Science Points to unlock twenty nodes of the technology tree.

Do you have what it takes to be a KSP Caveman?

NtVLstH.jpg

Rules:

stock career mode

Include pictures of your Science Archives

No mods that alter game play

No cheat menus or any other shenanigans

oP4PIi2.png

Include screen capture of your career difficulty options

Coc3SOj.png

See Cave Walls below for additional options.

Include screen capture of your Science Archives in the R&D Complex.

VItlSlr.png

Science Points have many sources just detail the method for the majority of Science Points acquired.

My attempt on normal.

This is my lengthy album of my run of the KSP Caveman Challenge 1.0.5.

KSP Caveman Challenge 1.0.5 Album

The ninth and final mission was an orbit and return of Minmus. A two stage vessel with twin Thud booster stage and a Terrier stage that employed a docking port to jettison a FL-T400 fuel tank. Gathered Mystery Goo, Materials Bay, Temperature and Barometer science from high and low space near Minmus.  The encounter almost did not happen and needed to adjust orbit at apoapsis by burning between radial and prograde.  Orbited Minmus with a periapsis of 22 km. Returning to Kerbin with periapsis around 42 km and aerobraking using the engine as heatshield and burning the remaining fuel to decelerate to 2700 m/s.  Returning to Kerbin using two radial parachutes and splashing down safely.

The Original KSP Caveman Challenge that Slashy began is is an excellent resource.

If you need some inspiration there are some great videos and detailed missions in that thread.

Badge Of Honour

0TsTWbl.jpg

A Caveman can proudly display this badge and gather all the minerals.

Cave Walls

(excavating, please be patient)

Each KSP Caveman will have their name inscribed on the Cave Wall based on their choice of career difficulty:

eqMdhjV.jpg

Talc

Easy Career - You had better do impressive quick work of this soft rock career

GoSlash27 2 hours 7 minute
pasukaru76 1 hours 42 minute
Terwin 2 hours 42 minutes

ZxWs2iX.jpg

Apatite

Normal Career - The minimum amount of flare

Caithloki

MoeslyArmlis

GoSlash27

Nefrums

pasukaru76

Pamynx

JAFO

IncongruousGoat

Terwin

cPh5n2L.jpg

Vanadium

Moderate Career- A tools hard edge can make all the difference

wibou7

ManEatingApe

Doctor Mandarb

JAFO

IncongruousGoat

Hodari

Terwin

R6KH0jF.jpg

Topaz

Hard Career- Happy Shiny Caveman

GoSlash27

pasukaru76

Xavven 

IncongruousGoat

Custom Career Cave Walls with increased difficulty

LZr6Qdb.jpg

Corundum

This career would not wear down a tough caveman.

Career details see this post and change science rewards to 30%

dgVYCOX.jpg

Diamond

For the caveman that are brilliant and posses fire.

Career details see this post and change science rewards to 20%

zWjYCf4.jpg

Nanocrystalline Diamond

ADNRs

HardS caveman; Aint that Tuff Enuff!

Career details see this post

MIoN8ND.jpg

Order of Troglodyte

The "Order of the Troglodyte" awards for achievements above and beyond the call of a KSP caveman.  Those are not rocks of war.  Those are Rock Kits of Science.

pasukaru76 Duna, Eve, Jool, Dres,
ManEatingApe Duna, Moho

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

I was wondering if there was a second stage that could be add to this challenge after the first level, maybe from cave man challenge to hunter gatherers or something, I really enjoyed this challenge and it actually taught me a lot to my surprise. Maybe a limit of 2-3 upgrades to buildings ( as mentioned in the prior thread ) or something similar.

MoeslyArmlis,

After completing the Caveman for the second time (first time in 1.05), I decided to try completing it on "hard" difficulty. Reduced funding, reduced science payouts, no quicksaves, no reverts. Plus I have to pay cash to use individual parts the first time after unlocking them.

Almost finished now. Here's where I'm at:

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/CaveHard105

Just 2, maybe 3 flights left.

Best,

-Slashy

PS Thanks for hosting the new and improved Caveman Challenge!

Edited by GoSlash27

On 12/8/2015, 7:09:29, Caithloki said:

I was wondering if there was a second stage that could be add to this challenge after the first level, maybe from cave man challenge to hunter gatherers or something, I really enjoyed this challenge and it actually taught me a lot to my surprise. Maybe a limit of 2-3 upgrades to buildings ( as mentioned in the prior thread ) or something similar.

I do like the idea of another level of caveman.  However the idea of never upgrading the facilities I believe is a core virtue of a caveman.  If you look at the original thread you would see that some caveman were able to go interplanetary.  That is therefore the next level for a caveman and it is totally voluntary.  See Order of Troglodyte awards.

By the way did you see how your mission inspired my science gathering mission.  i placed a girder onto my command pod to attach another parachute and six mystery goo containers.

22 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

MoeslyArmlis,

After completing the Caveman for the second time (first time in 1.05), I decided to try completing it on "hard" difficulty. Reduced funding, reduced science payouts, no quicksaves, no reverts. Plus I have to pay cash to use individual parts the first time after unlocking them.

Almost finished now. Here's where I'm at:

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/CaveHard105

Just 2, maybe 3 flights left.

Best,

-Slashy

PS Thanks for hosting the new and improved Caveman Challenge!

On the same page with you.  Not bragging but completing this challenge in nine missions made me realize the science points available have increased since the 1.0.5 update.  I am leaning toward having other cave walls depending on the different difficulties.  I wanted to do something special with the cave wall and maybe those that complete this challenge on hard will get added to that special wall.

Kerbal corrals are awesome but Service Bays are sweet. 

I just finished gathering EVA science in space and doing it like a caveman. 

hSDebkg.png

AmWwmoH.png

Thanks to caveman Alpheratz we can gather science even on the more difficult settings. 

While on the launch pad EVA and transfer a kerbal to the corral or service bay, go to space, collect science.  Just be sure to return the kerbal to a command pod before returning to Kerbin.

Album Kerbal Corral

16 hours ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

By the way did you see how your mission inspired my science gathering mission.  i placed a girder onto my command pod to attach another parachute and six mystery goo containers.

It will have to review my videos again, I usually have a bit of wine when I record so I am not quite sure what flight/video you are referring to, but I am glad I was able to provide some inspiration.

Edited by Caithloki
Adding more words

Challenged accepted. Today I started a new career game in hard mode in a separate KSP install without mods. Now, about 3 hours of gameplay later, Jeb got into orbit and almost made a Mun fly-by. The inclination of my orbit was way off, so I just grabbed some "in space high above Kerbin" science.

I'm frankly surprised I haven't killed any Kerbals yet since I'm so used to KER and maneuver nodes.

So far I'm having a blast with this challenge!

Hard mode caveman challenge complete!

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/CaveHard105/Proof

I'll have to give it another go in HardS mode.

*edit* I was just in the process of starting up my new "HardS" career and found out there isn't a "HardS" option. What custom settings define that mode?

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

13 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Hard mode caveman challenge complete!

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/CaveHard105/Proof

I'll have to give it another go in HardS mode.

*edit* I was just in the process of starting up my new "HardS" career and found out there isn't a "HardS" option. What custom settings define that mode?

Best,

-Slashy

I don't know for a fact but I always thought it was "Everything slid to the far left or far right, whatever is worst."

And congrats on winning hard mode!

Edited by 5thHorseman

28 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't know for a fact but I always thought it was "Everything slid to the far left or far right, whatever is worst."

And congrats on winning hard mode!

5thHorseman,

Thanks and I hope that's not the case. 10% rewards would suck out loud!

Best,

-Slashy

There are busy cavemans everywhere.  The new badge I think is done. Does the clan like?  Can you make out the two icon's reference clearly?

The cave walls will be edited next.

HardS Caveman Career Challenge

I have been busy experimenting with the hardS caveman challenge and wanted to see if it was possible to accomplish.  In the previous 1.0.4 KSP it was possible and so far it looks positive.  I will have to redo and make an official run because using quicksave and revert for the experiment.

This is the setup for hardS caveman career challenge.   Cavemans attempting this should be prepared to suck out loud!

PvLJfIM.png

One benefit of having negative thousand reputation is that you can still decline contracts and not even worry about losing reputation points. 

okA9jZM.png

Remember if the science report points indicate zero and there is a sliver of a green bar, that means there is still science points available.

Right now I am fifty science points from researching the clamp-o-tron junior and with it make rendezvous that matter.UQM3ubs.png

Using the docking port is vital..  Whether it is to rendezvous and construct vessels in space or create Voltron assemblies on the lawn.   The science from Minmus can be returned and then the science gathering will become less tedious.

Here is another creative caveman idea.

Hug & Shove

Looking at the contract rendezvous two vessels and wanting to try an another tactic I proceeded with operation Hug&Shove.  Send a vessel into a 80 circular km orbit and then send another vessel to shove the first one into a higher orbit.  Through many attempts I was able to connect and push the vessel.

Started at 80 km and shoved apoapsis to 420 km.  Turned Jebediah around for retrograde burn and returned him home to Kerbin.  The vessel was destined for Minmus but instead I practiced gravity assists and went into Kerbol orbit.  Science from Mystery Goo, Materials Bay, and Temperature was safely returned to Kerbin.  The World First Record milestone for escaping Kerbol orbit was six science points and the total SP was eighteen and now thirty two SP remain to research the Clamp-o-Tron docking port junior.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

Moesly Armlis,

I'm not seeing the reference for the new badges, just some letters. Maybe a problem at my end?

As for the HardS... I think I'll pass :D That would take a lot more dedication than I can muster! I'm rooting for you, tho'.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

I mucked about on my Caveman 1.0.5 save the other night. I tried the 'Launch with a Kerbal on the ladder' trick, and was surprised how easy it was. My first few attempts consisted of creating a frame of cubic struts and/or fins to keep my Kerbal from falling off, but in the end a well placed battery at the bottom of the pod ladder did the trick (stopped Val from sliding off).

Got a decent amount of science doing an orbit of Kerbin. Now wondering if I should take it to the Mun or Minmus (don't have solar panels yet though).

Edit:

As Slashy noted, the badge is not visible. It appears you have uploaded it to Dropbox, and perhaps not made it public. Either that or we need a Dropbox account to see the image. I'd suggest sticking it on Imgur instead.

Edited by killakrust

4 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Moesly Armlis,

I'm not seeing the reference for the new badges, just some letters. Maybe a problem at my end?

As for the HardS... I think I'll pass :D That would take a lot more dedication than I can muster! I'm rooting for you, tho'.

Best,

-Slashy

The new badge has a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Now thinking of removing that and replacing using the cave wall minerals.  A badge could then distinguish the level of caveman achievement.

The hardS is daunting climb.  Slashy, would you like to suggest custom careers with options that have increased difficulty then the hard option.

The custom career wall now have three levels of increased difficulty and include: corundum, diamond and nanocrystalline diamond.

To all that completed the 1.0.5 challenge, I will be finishing up the badge and then issue them and add your name to the respective cave walls.

Most Sincerely,

MoeslyArmlis

The new badge is ready.

jyIM2YM.png

This show the mineral apatite and that represents a normal career completion.

Thanks goes to killakrust for refining the kerbal corral.  The battery prevents the kerbal from sliding off the ladder during acceleration.

22 hours ago, killakrust said:

I tried the 'Launch with a Kerbal on the ladder' trick, and was surprised how easy it was. My first few attempts consisted of creating a frame of cubic struts and/or fins to keep my Kerbal from falling off, but in the end a well placed battery at the bottom of the pod ladder did the trick (stopped Val from sliding off).

About using the kerbal corral and going further than kerbin.  The use of time warp would send the kerbal afar from the vessel.  You would have to rendezvous the kerbal to the vessel in space before setting up an orbit.  This is something that i am interested in doing next in my career.  Bob is going to rendezvous with a Mun probe lander and complete sceience around Mun.  Then the lander is going down to the surface.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

I'm 2-3 flight away from being done; soon I will join you all in the cavern!

I'm using a custom difficulty, it is like hard mode (so 30% of science) but with 100% of the reward/reputation (because grinding for money is boooooring)... where will it fall in the score board?

(Is it just my account that got slashed in the great forum upgrade of november or did it happens to everyone?)

Edited by wibou7
typos

wibou7,

I'd say we'd have to place your entry in the highest category that your settings don't violate in order to keep it fair for everyone. This career would earn "apatite" IMO since anything higher requires reduced rewards. FWIW even hard mode can be completed without ever needing to grind for money.

Best,

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.