[1.12.x] Editor Extensions Redux released (with SelectRoot merge. StripSymmetry & NoOffsetLimits)

linuxgurugamer

On 5/9/2016 at 9:04 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I'll get to it in a day or so, will not have much time for a while

I have all the changes incorporated, but since this is a relatively minor issue, I'm holding off on the release until I get the fine adjustments working as well.

On 5/9/2016 at 8:59 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I've gotten it done, please test this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f6eb8avvyxvgsx/EditorExtensionsRedux-3.2.7a.zip?dl=0

It's mostly your changes, but it now should work with all the gizmos (I only tested with the rotation) and doesn't require doing anything to the stock keys.

This is a test version, while compiled as a release, be prepared for it not working.  The reflection code had to be changed so that it would work on Linux (since the field names aren't exposed on Linux, I had to do it via offset)

Sorry for the delay, I just noticed you had asked me to test this.  Any chance you could send the code?  Happy to test but I want to incorporate my rapid zoom stuff.  (Or just let me know when a new version is available).  If you really a need me to do a quick check in the meantime no problem, just say so.  (Tag or quote me so I get the notification please)

3 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Sorry for the delay, I just noticed you had asked me to test this.  Any chance you could send the code?  Happy to test but I want to incorporate my rapid zoom stuff.  (Or just let me know when a new version is available).  If you really a need me to do a quick check in the meantime no problem, just say so.  (Tag or quote me so I get the notification please)

No problem.  I'll be releasing a new version this morning with the fixes and the FineAdjustment feature which I've been working on 

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No problem.  I'll be releasing a new version this morning with the fixes and the FineAdjustment feature which I've been working on 

Release will be delayed, i found a bug and then found a better way to do this

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Release will be delayed, i found a bug and then found a better way to do this

Just released 3.2.8:

Added code from Fwiffo to fix bug where changing the angle snap while in rotate mode would not affect the rotate gizmo
    Added code from Fwiffo for Rapid Zoom
    Note:  Code from Fwiffo was modified to use the Reflection offsets rather than names to maintain compatibility with Linux & OSX
    Fixed bug where going into the rotate gizmo the first time without changing the snap would have a rotation snap of 15 when it should have been zero

NEW FEATURE:  Fine Adjust
    Fine Adjust window added
    New config window for fine adjust keys
    When Fine Adjust window is open, keys will do fine adjustments depending on which gizmo is selected:
        Default keys:    arrow keys + rightShift & rightControl

vers 3.2.8 is broken.  I've reverted to 3.2.7.

I can surface attach parts to only the +Z side/surface of another part. 

EDIT: can also attach to attachment nodes

Edited by Apollo13

5 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

vers 3.2.8 is broken.  I've reverted to 3.2.7.

I can surface attach parts to only the +Z side/surface of another part. 

EDIT: can also attach to attachment nodes

I need an example, the testing I've done shows it working on all 3 axises.

Also, what version of KSP are you running?

4 hours ago, teamyoyo said:

Confirmed

Can you please post your example?  I can't replicate this.

Just so you can try what I'm trying:

I deleted the entire EEX directory, then downloaded and installed it from Spacedock.

I placed a roverbody, then took a science instrument (barometer) and was able to place it on all 6 sides.  I then removed the barometer, toggled the surface attachment and was unable to place it anywhere.  This is expected behavior. 

Just saying that something isn't working without a specific example is almost a waste of my time, because first I have to find a failure before debugging.

Please note that surface attachment is a function of the game, EEX doesn't do anything other than toggle the srfAttach flag which specifies whether a part can be surface-attached or not.  I'm not saying that it is the mod doing it, since obviously you are seeing a difference between the two different version, it's just that I don't know what it can be doing,especially since I can't replicate it.

Thank you.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

In this image, I can place the battery only on the +z axis of the structure.  I cannot place it on -z, +x, -x

EFg2hJF.jpg

I can place it on the -y axis of the OKTO2.  I cannot place it centered on +y axis of the structure; it can only be placed on the +y if offset towards the +z axis.

KSP vers. 1.1.2.1260.  I also deleted the entire EEX directory and installed fresh from SpaceDock.  Vers 3.2.7 works perfectly.

SIDEBAR:  I know how frustrating this can be to you.  I've been a developer for 45 years.  The toughest bugs are the one that you can't replicate or are intermittent.

Edited by Apollo13

I'm seeing it as well.  It seems to be related to angle snap - the only options for which at the moment are 'off' and '0 degrees'.  I tried to go into the settings to see if that's changeable, but the button to open the settings only appears when I'm hovering over the toolbar - and the button itself is *not* on the toolbar.  (So it disappears when I go to try to click it.)

Installed 3.2.8 and angle alignment turns to 0° 521f43fec9.jpg and when you try to change it with mouse you get 37fca1c333.jpg. But you can switch it with C/Shift+C hot-keys. Also when I turn on new feature(Fine Adjust window) instantly starts Nres spam and game starts lagging faf6a1bb5b.jpg. (WBI is a single Nre on startup.)

KSP.log

Output_log

3.2.7 runs perfectly on my setup

Edited by LordAssault
Forgot something

7 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

In this image, I can place the battery only on the +z axis of the structure.  I cannot place it on -z, +x, -x

EFg2hJF.jpg

I can place it on the -y axis of the OKTO2.  I cannot place it centered on +y axis of the structure; it can only be placed on the +y if offset towards the +z axis.

KSP vers. 1.1.2.1260.  I also deleted the entire EEX directory and installed fresh from SpaceDock.  Vers 3.2.7 works perfectly.

SIDEBAR:  I know how frustrating this can be to you.  I've been a developer for 45 years.  The toughest bugs are the one that you can't replicate or are intermittent.

Strange.  See this image:

WKhj5U7.jpg

Could you package up your entire gamedata directory and upload it somewhere.  There is obviously something different.  I'm testing with no other mods installed, so maybe there is an unexpected interaction.

5 hours ago, LordAssault said:

Installed 3.2.8 and angle alignment turns to 0° 521f43fec9.jpg and when you try to change it with mouse you get 37fca1c333.jpg. But you can switch it with C/Shift+C hot-keys. Also when I turn on new feature(Fine Adjust window) instantly starts Nres spam and game starts lagging faf6a1bb5b.jpg. (WBI is a single Nre on startup.)

KSP.log

Output_log

3.2.7 runs perfectly on my setup

I've confirmed that clicking on the angle snap changes to the wrong image, will work on it.  For now, just use the 'C' key.  This particular bug also exists in 3.2.7

The NREs are harmless, it's a bit of code which isn't doing anything.  I've fixed it, here is a quick build, just replace the dll file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts7bk7om5s3rbw7/eexdll.zip?dl=0

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'm seeing it as well.  It seems to be related to angle snap - the only options for which at the moment are 'off' and '0 degrees'.  I tried to go into the settings to see if that's changeable, but the button to open the settings only appears when I'm hovering over the toolbar - and the button itself is *not* on the toolbar.  (So it disappears when I go to try to click it.)

Thats a bug, use the letter 'C' to change instead.  This particular bug also exists in 3.2.7.

I have to adjust the position of the popup window, for now, hover over the eex button, then move quickly to the settings button

Edited by linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Could you package up your entire gamedata directory and upload it somewhere.  There is obviously something different.  I'm testing with no other mods installed, so maybe there is an unexpected interaction.

My GameData consists of only Squad and EditorExtensionsRedux.

EDIT:  When I first come to the VAB, the Angle indicator shows 0° .  That's when the problem occurs.  Upon hitting the C-key, I can then place the Battery.  When using ALT-C or SHIFT-C, the indicator does not return to 0°.  Rather, it shows the dot-in-circle icon, as it should.  I can still place the battery anywhere, i.e., it works correctly.

It has a problem ONLY when 0° shows in the Angle indicator.

Scenario:

1.  Ensure no vessel is in the VAB

2.  From KSC, select the VAB

3.  The Angle indicator shows 0°

4.  Select/place OKTO2

5.  Select/place structure

6.  Select and attempt to place Battery.  Cannot be placed

7.  Hit C-key

8.  ALT-C key until Angle indicator is dot-in-circle.  Indicator will never show 0°

9.  Select/place Battery.  This will work correctly.

Edited by Apollo13

2 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

My GameData consists of only Squad and EditorExtensionsRedux.

EDIT:  When I first come to the VAB, the Angle indicator shows 0° .  That's when the problem occurs.  Upon hitting the C-key, I can then place the Battery.  When using ALT-C or SHIFT-C, the indicator does not return to 0°.  Rather, it shows the dot-in-circle icon, as it should.  I can still place the battery anywhere, i.e., it works correctly.

It has a problem ONLY when 0° shows in the Angle indicator.

Scenario:

1.  Ensure no vessel is in the VAB

2.  From KSC, select the VAB

3.  The Angle indicator shows 0°

4.  Select/place OKTO2

5.  Select/place structure

6.  Select and attempt to place Battery.  Cannot be placed

7.  Hit C-key

8.  ALT-C key until Angle indicator is dot-in-circle.  Indicator will never show 0°

9.  Select/place Battery.  This will work correctly.

Ok, that will be enough.  This list of steps is exactly what I needed to replicate the problem.  I'll be able to fix it once I figure out what's happening.

Watch for an update this evening or so

Edit:  when I went into the VAB, the circle was showing, so I click on it to change it to showing 0

Edit 2:  I ran these same steps using the previous version (3.2.7), and had the same problem.  So I don't think it's specific to the 3.2.8 version

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, LordAssault said:

With new dll Nres are gone, but when I open Fine Adjust game still becomes a slide show :/ FPS drops to 1.7 per sec(from 60+) after I click 'Done' FPS comeback to normal instantly :/46584a1d07.jpg

:-(

My system is so fast that I never noticed this.   I got the surface attachment bug fixed, I'll see if I can get this also before releasing the update

2 minutes ago, LordAssault said:

Or maybe you don't install over 150 mods :D

I usually have over 200, but when I'm developing, I only have the mods necessary for development, otherwise it just takes too long to restart the game after a change

17 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

Whenever I develop mods, I usually just have Squad, my mod folder, and two other mods to decrease load time and prevent incompatibilities.

Exactly!  So a performance problem in the VAB was unnoticable since all I had was Squad, EEX & ExceptionDetector, and I have a very fast system

Anyway, I found what was causing the slowdown, solving it will take a little bit of time.  It's because of the following code:

if (HighLogic.FindObjectsOfType<EditorGizmos.GizmoOffset> ().Length > 0){
	adjType = AdjustmentType.translation;
	adjTypeStr = "Translation";
}
if (HighLogic.FindObjectsOfType<EditorGizmos.GizmoRotate> ().Length > 0){ 
	adjType = AdjustmentType.rotation;
	adjTypeStr = "Rotation";
}

which gets called every frame.  The FindObjectsOfType is very slow, and calling it 2x per frame is what is slowing down the game.

I just released EEX 3.2.9 with the following fixes:

Removed old code from the FineAdjust Update function which was causing an exception
Reduced height of popup menu
Fixed bug where clicking on the symmetry sprite (the one which changes the angle snap degrees) when the angle was zero would not allow surface attachments to anything other than the +z axis:
        "I can place the battery only on the +z axis of the structure.  I cannot place it on -z, +x, -x"
Removed performance issue when Fine Adjustments window was shown
Reduced performance impact when fine adjustments are being done

If you are watching the performance meter, you will see an impact on the FPS when you are actually doing a fine-adjustment.  It's not that big (ie:  fps for me went from 60 down to 50), let me know if you see anything more.

The EEX menu from the app launcher button won't stick, so you can't press any of the buttons in it. The app launcher button will toggle the highlighting, but even when it's highlighted the menu won't get pinned.

50 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

vers 3.2.9 has broken Toggle Snap.  In 3.2.8 and earlier, clicking the icon would toggle between free placement and the current degree setting.  Now,clicking that does nothing.

Broken on purpose.  For now, that is the way it is.  The previous behaviour was what was causing the free attach problem. I am aware of it, will work on a solution

5 hours ago, Rodger said:

The EEX menu from the app launcher button won't stick, so you can't press any of the buttons in it. The app launcher button will toggle the highlighting, but even when it's highlighted the menu won't get pinned.

The menu isn't supposed to be pinned, it is only supposed to be shown when the mouse is above the EEX button.

Did you change your UI scaling at all?  I suspect you've changed it to either 80 or 90%, which would mean that the menu would not be right on top of the EEX button, and cause your problem.

It's a pain, but for now, move the mouse on top of the EEX button, then very quickly move it up.  I'll fix this and the ToggleSnap problem this evening