[1.12.x] Editor Extensions Redux released (with SelectRoot merge. StripSymmetry & NoOffsetLimits)

linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Broken on purpose.  For now, that is the way it is.  The previous behaviour was what was causing the free attach problem. I am aware of it, will work on a solution

OK.  Given the workaround to make 3.2.8 work correctly (hitting the C-key, then ALT-C), it worked fine.  So, I've reverted to 3.2.8.  Thanks for keeping EEX alive.  A must have mod for me.

Just now, Apollo13 said:

OK.  Given the workaround to make 3.2.8 work correctly (hitting the C-key, then ALT-C), it worked fine.  So, I've reverted to 3.2.8.  Thanks for keeping EEX alive.  A must have mod for me.

it's already fixed in 3.2.10

On 5/13/2016 at 3:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Fixed bug where going into the rotate gizmo the first time without changing the snap would have a rotation snap of 15 when it should have been zero

Good catch; I noticed this too after a bit of gameplay with my patch, but didn't get a chance to isolate / address.

I have another potential bug report I'd like to get verified:  Using the "Break symmetry" command (Alt+Shift+Click or whatever on a part) prevents you from being able to click the Actions button immediately afterward (i.e. to go mode where you can assign Stage, Gear, Light, Custom01, etc).  I had to add/remove a part to get it to work again.

Edited by Fwiffo

6 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

Good catch; I noticed this too after a bit of gameplay with my patch, but didn't get a chance to isolate / address.

I have another potential bug report I'd like to get verified:  Using the "Break symmetry" command (Alt+Shift+Click or whatever on a part) prevents you from being able to click the Actions button immediately afterward (i.e. to go mode where you can assign Stage, Gear, Light, Custom01, etc).  I had to add/remove a part to get it to work again.

Interesting.  I did confirm it as a bug.

This is from the original mod which I incorporated.  I've done a lot of work recently on EEx, need to get some work done on other mods. Since you seem to be the first to report it, I'm not going to make it a priority.  Could you raise a github issue so i can keep track of it, I'll look into this later.

Thanks

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm not sure how broken my install is, but I can't seem to access anything in the EEX settings menu. The window appears when I hover over the EEX icon in the app launcher, but when I move the cursor off the launcher button to try to click a button in the settings menu, the menu disappears. Clicking the button doesn't help. Nothing's throwing in the logs, either. Is this some known issue, or is it just me?

Hi, the free placement option doesn't appear to be working when using the rotation tool. the icon changes to show free placement, but its still moving to whatever degree is set.

Edited by Torih

On 5/15/2016 at 9:22 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I just released EEX 3.2.9 with the following fixes:

Removed old code from the FineAdjust Update function which was causing an exception
Reduced height of popup menu
Fixed bug where clicking on the symmetry sprite (the one which changes the angle snap degrees) when the angle was zero would not allow surface attachments to anything other than the +z axis:
        "I can place the battery only on the +z axis of the structure.  I cannot place it on -z, +x, -x"
Removed performance issue when Fine Adjustments window was shown
Reduced performance impact when fine adjustments are being done

If you are watching the performance meter, you will see an impact on the FPS when you are actually doing a fine-adjustment.  It's not that big (ie:  fps for me went from 60 down to 50), let me know if you see anything more.

Unfortunately fine adjustment absolutely murders my frame rate. ~70-80 fps in the VAB to ~7-8. Nothing seems to show up in the logs, unfortunately.

And before I start diving into the code, is there a technical reason for the limit on how fine adjustments can be incremented? And what does "delta amount" represent?

11 hours ago, awang said:

I'm not sure how broken my install is, but I can't seem to access anything in the EEX settings menu. The window appears when I hover over the EEX icon in the app launcher, but when I move the cursor off the launcher button to try to click a button in the settings menu, the menu disappears. Clicking the button doesn't help. Nothing's throwing in the logs, either. Is this some known issue, or is it just me?

Fixed in today's release

4 hours ago, Torih said:

Hi, the free placement option doesn't appear to be working when using the rotation tool. the icon changes to show free placement, but its still moving to whatever degree is set.

Confirmed.

Actually, it isn't using whatever was set, it's using some default internally.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, awang said:

Unfortunately fine adjustment absolutely murders my frame rate. ~70-80 fps in the VAB to ~7-8. Nothing seems to show up in the logs, unfortunately.

And before I start diving into the code, is there a technical reason for the limit on how fine adjustments can be incremented? And what does "delta amount" represent?

Make sure you are running the latest version, there was an issue which was (mostly) fixed in 3.2.9.  Right now, I would expect a 10% decrease in framerate when in fine adjust mode, in 3.2.8 it was a 50-75% hit.  

Delta amount is the amount that the fine adjustment is changed.  So when the Delta amount is 0.01, the change to the fine adjustment will be that.  Play with it a bit and you will see how it works.  And I think this answers the first part of your question.

If you are running 3.2.11 or greater, and still have the framerate impact, first delete the entire directory, then install and try again.  It's possible you have two copies of the DLL there

8 hours ago, Torih said:

That is actually stock behavour.  Try removing EEX and seeing what happens when you turn off the snap tool, you will see it happening the same way.  I'm going to see if I can do something about that, but it's not a bug.

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Make sure you are running the latest version, there was an issue which was (mostly) fixed in 3.2.9.  Right now, I would expect a 10% decrease in framerate when in fine adjust mode, in 3.2.8 it was a 50-75% hit.  

Delta amount is the amount that the fine adjustment is changed.  So when the Delta amount is 0.01, the change to the fine adjustment will be that.  Play with it a bit and you will see how it works.  And I think this answers the first part of your question.

If you are running 3.2.11 or greater, and still have the framerate impact, first delete the entire directory, then install and try again.  It's possible you have two copies of the DLL there

It's 3.2.11 according to the .version file. Also checked the directory, and there's only one EditorExtensionsRedux.dll. I'll have to play more with this, as I have too many mods installed for useful debugging :(

Oh ho, that makes so much sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

1 minute ago, awang said:

It's 3.2.11 according to the .version file. Also checked the directory, and there's only one EditorExtensionsRedux.dll. I'll have to play more with this, as I have too many mods installed for useful debugging :(

Oh ho, that makes so much sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

Please delete the directory, the location of the dll was changed.  This is the only safe way to update it.

2 minutes ago, awang said:

The problem persists, unfortunately. I'll start removing mods, see what's going on...

Before you spend lots of time removing mods, make a clean install with only KRASH and see if the problem is there.

Also, system specs are now needed, perhaps what I see as a 10% impact is more becuase your system is slower.

I know what has to be done to fix that 10%, will be working on it in the next day or so.

Thanks

KRASH? In addition to this, I presume? But I will certainly do that.

I'm on a mid-2012 Macbook (retina) Pro. 2.6GHz i7, NVidia GeForce 650M w/ 1GB video RAM, 16GB normal RAM.

Oh, no.  Sorry, I'm working on two mods.

I meant EEX

Still get a significant FPS drop. Not as severe as before -- ~100-120 fps to ~40.

This and earlier measurements were from KerboKatz's FPS viewer.

In the debug menu, stock drops from ~180 fps to ~45 fps. My fully modded install went from ~60 fps to ~50 fps, if my memory is working. The displayed frames per second were definitely lower than what the debug menu said in that case.

Still get a significant FPS drop. Not as severe as before -- ~100-120 fps to ~40.

This and earlier measurements were from KerboKatz's FPS viewer.

In the debug menu, stock drops from ~180 fps to ~45 fps. My fully modded install went from ~60 fps to ~50 fps, if my memory is working. The displayed frames per second were definitely lower than what the debug menu said in that case.

Ok.  The 60->50 makes sense.  I know the problem, will get it fixed in a day or so.

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That is actually stock behavour.  Try removing EEX and seeing what happens when you turn off the snap tool, you will see it happening the same way.  I'm going to see if I can do something about that, but it's not a bug.

Not sure if you are looking at the right thing. a stock install with angle snap off rotates freely. EEX used to do it also a version or 2 ago.

Edited by Torih