[1.12.x] Editor Extensions Redux released (with SelectRoot merge. StripSymmetry & NoOffsetLimits)

linuxgurugamer

I just released a redux of the original editorExtensions along with the SelectRoot mod:

http://spacedock.info/mod/48/Editor%20Extensions%20Redux

Source:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EditorExtensionsRedux

Please note that this mod is version specific.  I just released an update for the new 1.1.1 1.1.2 release of KSP

This version WILL only work on KSP 1.4.1.  There is no support for KSP 1.4.0

• Please note that the best way to tell if it works is to download and install it, if it isn't compatible, it will tell you.  It's been known to happen that I update the mod and forget to update this OP

Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install both automatically, but if installing manually, you must install them for this to work

Also, be sure you are installing the latest versions

Installation

In your KSP GameData folder, delete any existing EditorExtensions folder.Download the zip file to your KSP GameData folder and unzip.

or use CKAN when it becomes available

License: MIT (both of the original mods for this used the MIT license)

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

New Feature (8/6/2018)

• Added button to Settings page 2 to "Reset Symmetry Mode & Angle Snap keys

New features

• Added ability to disable the SelectRoot functionality, so you can use the stock SelectRoot to change the root on a shadow assembly
  • Added Master Snap mode.  This allows you to snap parts to any random part, not just the parent.  This works for both horizontal and vertical snapping.  The part selected as the master will be highlighted.  See below for info on usage
  • Snapping is shown visually via a smooth movement of the part from the original location to the destination

Features

• Allows custom levels of radial symmetry beyond the stock limitations.
  • Horizontally and vertically center parts.
  • Adds radial/angle snapping at 1,5,15,22.5,30,45,60, and 90 degrees. Angles are customizable.
  • Toggle part clipping (From the cheat options)
  • Re-Align placed struts and fuel lines between parts 
  • Toggle radial and node attachment of parts
  • Reset hangar camera view
  • Customize hotkeys
  • KSP-AVC versioning support
  • Fine adjustments of rotation and translation now working

Vertical/Horizontal snap:

• Place the part, then once the part is placed, hover over the part with your mouse and press the Vertical or Horizontal snap hotkey.
  • For vertical snap, part will center itself on the part lengthwise in the SPH

Master Snapping

• Hold down "left control" and select the "master" part 
  • Hover the cursor over the child part and press "v" for vertical snap or "h" for a horizontal snap. This will snap the child part to the master part's vertical or horizontal position
  • Click on an empty space to turn off Master Snap

This should prove to be very useful for VTOLs where you can't apply engines in symmetry.

Strut & Fuel line alignment

• Place the strut, then hover over the base/start of the strut (the first end placed) with the mouse, and press the hotkey.
  • Strut/FL start and end with be snapped to the closest of either the middle, quarter, or end of the part, aligned directly between the two parts.
  • Mod/Alt-U will reposition the strut/FL directly between the parts, but only level out the strut from the start/parent part.

Fine Adjustments

• Open Fine Adjust window, then select a part with either the rotation or translation gizmo
    • The window will show the correct info for the current gizmo when you select a part.  If you change gizmos while not selecting a new part, the window will not update for the new gizmo, but you can select the right one by clicking the button at the top of the window
  • Keys will allow adjusting the rotation and translation with greater precision

Default Keybindings

• V- Vertically center a part. Place the part, hover over it with the mouse, and press the hotkey.
  • H- Horizontally center the part. Place the part, hover over it with the mouse, and press the hotkey.
  • U- Place the strut, then hover over the base/start of the strut (the first end placed) with the mouse, and press the hotkey.
  • X, Shift+X- Increase/Decrease symmetry level (Based on KSP's key map)
  • Alt+X- Reset symmetry level (Based on KSP's key map)
  • C, Shift+C- Increase/Decrease angle snap (Based on KSP's key map)
  • Alt+C- Reset angle snap (Based on KSP's key map)
  • T- Attachment mode: Toggle between surface and node attachment modes for all parts, and when a part is selected, will toggle surface attachment even when that part's config usually does not allow it.
  • Alt+Z- Toggle part clipping (CAUTION: This is a cheat option)
  • Space- When no part is selected, resets camera pitch and heading (straight ahead and level)
  • B - Horizontally center the root part in the editor, and vertically position the vessel so the bottom part is 5m high (new)

Warning on Keybindings

• Note in very rare circumstances the symmetry and angle snap keybindings might be lost.  This would only occur   if another mod triggers the game to save its settings while in the VAB/SPH, *and* the game subsequently crashes  or is killed before exiting the building.  If it happens, you can easily restore the keybindings (X and C by  default) by hovering over the toolbar button and selecting the menu option "Reset Mode & Snap keys".

Stock keybinding (change in stock config screen)

•  R - Toggle symmetry mode from SPH to VAB style (mirror to radial).

Fine Adjust Translation Default Keybindings

• Up-arrow - translates up
  • Down-arrow - translates down
  • Left-arrow - translates left
  • Right-arrow - translates right
  • Right-Shift - translates forward
  • Right-Control - translates backward

Fine Adjust Rotation Default Keybindings

• Up-arrow - rotates forward
  • Down-arrow - rotates backward
  • Left-arrow - rotates left
  • Right-arrow - rotates right
  • Right-Shift - rotates clockwise
  • Right-Control - rotates counterclockwise

Strip Symmetry

• Alt-Shift left-click on the part and symmetry will be stripped from it

No Offset Limits

• The offset tool now does not have any limits.  Nothing needs to be done, this just works

Select Root Functionality

Squad added a root part selection mode to stock. But it's a bit awkward to use. This plugin fixes the following things:

• Only one click needed. Just click on the part you want to be the new root.
  • Works if you're already hovering the new part. No more mouse wiggling to get the selection to register.
  • Drops the new root, so you can grab something else immediately.

Select Root Usage: Enter root selection mode and click on the new root part. Root selection mode is one of the buttons on top next to the rotate and offset gizmos. Or just press 4

Note: that for ghosted subassembly re-root to work, you need to deactivate "1 click reroot" feature.  Once back to "vanilla 2 click re-root", you can click re-root, click the ghosted subassembly and then click the engine on the ghosted subassembly.

Demonstration of strut alignment:

KSP-AVC Notice

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available.

Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, BrutalRIP said:

the app launcher icon is just a white box when in the vab

yep, i posted an issue on github about this:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EditorExtensionsRedux/issues/1

it's fixed now, and will be availble soon! :wink:

Edit:

Thank you for your works on this really good mod!

Edited by Skalou

Both of these mods are on my "Always Install" list and have been for some time. :D sot his is what I like to see. More mod makers working together and popular / useful mods being merged. Especially similar mods! 

Installing 54 mods and finding half a dozen variations of exactly the same engine is a bit frustrating. :P

Edited by Pronoes

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Select Root Usage: Enter root selection mode and click on the new root part. Root selection mode is one of the buttons on top next to the rotate and offset gizmos. Or just press

I think you meant to end this sentence with "4"?

19 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:
12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Select Root Usage: Enter root selection mode and click on the new root part. Root selection mode is one of the buttons on top next to the rotate and offset gizmos. Or just press

I think you meant to end this sentence with "4"?

No I think he means you need to lift.

Don't you even lift bro?

Cool stuff

One issue that's been bugging me for a long time with this mod (or the non-redux one, anyway... I didn't try this one yet but nothing indicates that this was changed) is the shift+c/shift+x behavior to reduce angle snap or symmetry count. It seems you have to release the X key a couple ticks before the shift key, otherwise it counts the X depress without the shift, and increases the value instead of decreasing it.

Maybe this even affects the stock game, to be honest I haven't played without this mod for a loooooong time...

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2015 at 0:44 PM, Samapico said:

Maybe this even affects the stock game, to be honest I haven't played without this mod for a loooooong time...

i noticed this straight away after installing ERR. it's not an issue in the stock game. it's so severe that i've had to uninstall the mod :(

EDIT: very minor issue: EditorExtensionsRedux.version in 3.0.1 still has

{
		"MAJOR":3,
		"MINOR":0,
		"PATCH":0,
		"BUILD":0
	},

which makes AVC complain.

Edited by speedwaystar

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:24 AM, speedwaystar said:

suggestion: a small floating pallet with edit boxes to manually type in exact rotation, offset and angle snap for the active part.

This would be a suggestion I would ask of the Part Angle Display mod instead of EEX(R).

My request for EEX would be to have hotkeys for centering along all three axis (X,Y,Z) rather than just two. Rockets may not have a problem (radial symmetry tend to dominate those designs), but SSTOs/Spaceplanes depend more on mirror symmetry. It's be useful for something like placing control surfaces on wings.

Even better would be the option to snap parts to the center or closest quarter length, like the strut/fuel line snapping.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Treble Sketch said:

Kerbal Stuff is now shutting down, so an alternate location would be lovely. ^_^

Yes, I know, but real life comes first.

I hope to have everything up on Curseforge this evening, and will then get all the netkan files updated

Be patient, some of us have a significant number of mods to move, and it takes time

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting this back ever since I got back into KSP recently... and finally found it. And it has even more features... Strut Alignment?! So awesome.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful tool alive.

@linuxgurugamer I have a very small bug to report with the 1.1 pre-release version.  It doesn't handle the UI scaling very well.  On my 1920x1080 resolution, if I scale the UI down at all, the icons / numbers remain in their original positions so they're offset from the "button" they are supposed to be sitting inside.