[1.12.x] Editor Extensions Redux released (with SelectRoot merge. StripSymmetry & NoOffsetLimits)

linuxgurugamer

This was one of those very strange things where two wrongs actually made a right, and when one wrong was fixed, the right was broken.

It's fixed, version 3.3.9 is released.

And this time it's done the right way.  When it was working before, code was being called incorrectly, but in a way which allowed it to actaully work because of another related problem.  When I fixed one during some cleanup, it broke.

Please test and let me know how it goes.

Definitely improved.  I think there's still a minor issue, though:

1. Ensure you're in "local" offset mode
  2. Drop a tank
  3. Attach a Mk 1 Illuminator to the side
  4. Rotate the light so it points roughly straight down
  5. Pick offset mode, click the light to show the offset gizmo, try to move it up/down.  You'll notice the gizmo immediately reorients after you click it.

Also here's a craft for which my ill-oriented gizmo is completely stuck (can't drag the spotlight at all along two axes, but can move it again if you detach the Mk2 lander can first, or if you drag along third axis then adjust in the other two.  Very weird!).  Note you need KER installed to open the craft.  @Majorjim! or LGG maybe you could download the file and confirm for me?  Let me know if you have troubles reproducing.

Edited by Fwiffo

6 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

2. Drop a tank
  5. Pick offset mode, click the light to show the offset gizmo, try to move it up/down.  You'll notice the gizmo immediately reorients after you click it.

Also here's a craft for which my ill-oriented gizmo is completely stuck (can't drag the spotlight at all along two axes, but can move it again if you detach the Mk2 lander can first, or if you drag along third axis then adjust in the other two.  Very weird!).  Note you need KER installed to open the craft.  @Majorjim! or LGG maybe you could download the file and confirm for me?  Let me know if you have troubles reproducing.

I'll take a look this evening.

KER = Kerbal Engineer Redux?

On 11/9/2016 at 5:54 AM, Fwiffo said:

2. Drop a tank

I tried load the craft file, but it has a part LOI???  Looks like it might be a hibernation module?

I did find a small problem in exactly that area of the code, so, before I release it, could you try it out with this DLL: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7a0qovfnjl5kds/EEXR-test.zip?dl=0

I do see your problem, actually not sure if I can do anything about it.  But please confirm, while it may be a bit disorienting, once it reorients, it works correctly, correct?

Edit:  I think i got it, just updated zip, 8:47 AM Eastern.  Please test

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 minutes ago, Aazard said:

i think metadata for ckan is wrong, it detects current version as compatible with ksp 1.1.3 

refresh, it looks good to my local copy of CKAN.

Sometimes you might need to exit and restart CKAN

Here is the current metadata from CKAN:

{
    "spec_version": 1,
    "identifier": "EditorExtensionsRedux",
    "name": "Editor Extensions Redux",
    "abstract": "Tweaks and features for the in-game vessel editor, e.g. alignment and symmetry aids. Now includes SelectRoot mod",
    "author": "linuxgurugamer",
    "license": "MIT",
    "resources": {
        "homepage": "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127378-editor-extensions-redux",
        "spacedock": "https://spacedock.info/mod/48/Editor%20Extensions%20Redux",
        "repository": "https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EditorExtensionsRedux",
        "x_screenshot": "https://spacedock.info/content/linuxgurugamer_179/Editor_Extensions_Redux/Editor_Extensions_Redux-1467509293.8271828.png"
    },
    "version": "3.3.9",
    "ksp_version_min": "1.1.0",
    "ksp_version_max": "1.2.1",
    "download": "https://spacedock.info/mod/48/Editor%20Extensions%20Redux/download/3.3.9",
    "download_size": 61846,
    "download_hash": {
        "sha1": "EDF9B97E9AF0B2A7660C4BAA6911603D548F2BAE",
        "sha256": "FC41FCDAB5208BF185F4E6DFF85A46607B8B899A080E59F45A397B44AF0DF3C4"
    },
    "download_content_type": "application/zip",
    "x_generated_by": "netkan"
}

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hello guys - if this is answered on all the pages since release for 1.2.(1) forgive me because then I have not seen it while checking the pages since then - I am coming from my RO install for 1.1.3 and remember EER having the ability when you press 'C' offset gizmo mode it would activate the 'NoAngle-Snap' as long as you keep pressing the button. 

On the latest EER for me this isn't the default behaviour anymore - so I am looking for an answer if this is actually a feature but got redone during the update and if so - how do I get it back or is it gone with the new versions? (Right now pressing C during gizmo mode just increases the symmetry angle.) 

Just got around to trying out 3.3.9. EER still links the angle snap setting to the rotation angle for the rotate gizmo. Any chance that can get unlinked? I prefer PartAngleDisplay for rotation adjustments since it's easier to type in any angle I want with PAD. (EER requires adding increments to its settings and then swapping angles out.) I like my angle snap and rotation gizmo increments to be different things. I find PAD to be more robust for rotation adjustments.

EDIT2: Wait... I think I'm an idiot. I do believe EER is doing something different than what I recall from PAD, now that I thought about it (and did something to make it more obvious). EER lets you do incremental rotations AFTER placing a part. PAD only did fine control during the placement of parts, not after placing them. So this is actually a feature I wanted without realizing it... Just wish PAD had it or the implementation didn't have to re-use/piggyback on another function (KSP can make so many things more complicated than it should be...) So yeah, never mind about the above, I guess. I do wonder if it's possible to segregate the two so that Rotation Gizmo increments weren't tied to Angle Snap increments. The below is still valid though.

EDIT1: BTW, there's click-through on the new angle snap selection window. I'm keeping at the lower left so I remember to use it. The click-through will ruin things though. For now, I'm keeping to the extreme lower left, at the corner of my screen. I'm using the part list category bar as a workaround to prevent click-through.

EDIT3: Related to the snap window. It's state and position isn't saved between editor sessions for me. I have to turn it on and re-position it each time I enter the SPH. (Haven't checked the VAB yet.)

Edited by StahnAileron

12 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Just got around to trying out 3.3.9. EER still links the angle snap setting to the rotation angle for the rotate gizmo. Any chance that can get unlinked? I prefer PartAngleDisplay for rotation adjustments since it's easier to type in any angle I want with PAD. (EER requires adding increments to its settings and then swapping angles out.) I like my angle snap and rotation gizmo increments to be different things. I find PAD to be more robust for rotation adjustments.

EDIT2: Wait... I think I'm an idiot. I do believe EER is doing something different than what I recall from PAD, now that I thought about it (and did something to make it more obvious). EER lets you do incremental rotations AFTER placing a part. PAD only did fine control during the placement of parts, not after placing them. So this is actually a feature I wanted without realizing it... Just wish PAD had it or the implementation didn't have to re-use/piggyback on another function (KSP can make so many things more complicated than it should be...) So yeah, never mind about the above, I guess. I do wonder if it's possible to segregate the two so that Rotation Gizmo increments weren't tied to Angle Snap increments. The below is still valid though.

EDIT1: BTW, there's click-through on the new angle snap selection window. I'm keeping at the lower left so I remember to use it. The click-through will ruin things though. For now, I'm keeping to the extreme lower left, at the corner of my screen. I'm using the part list category bar as a workaround to prevent click-through.

EDIT3: Related to the snap window. It's state and position isn't saved between editor sessions for me. I have to turn it on and re-position it each time I enter the SPH. (Haven't checked the VAB yet.)

Click through is a KSP bug

Re. the snap window position, will be the same in the VAB.  Not going to change it right now, please open a Github issue on it

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Released 3.3.10:

Fixed null ref when F is pressed and no part is selected

Could you please include the build number in the OP or the title of this thread? Makes it easier to see if there has been an update. I apologize if its there and I missed it.

2 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

Release 3.3.10 is a bit broken. Pushing the X-key increments symmetry by 2 instead of one, i.e. 1,3,5,7,9,11,...  I've reverted back to 3.3.9.

Please remove the mod entirely and then reinstall, I think you may have two copies of the dll installed

3 hours ago, Dafni said:

Could you please include the build number in the OP or the title of this thread? Makes it easier to see if there has been an update. I apologize if its there and I missed it.

No, I won't.  That is what AVC is for.

I know that some authors do it, but you have no idea how much work is involved in pushing out an update.  Adding yet another thing to do is not something I'm going to do.

I currently maintain over 33 mods (list is here:  https://goo.gl/KxlgIC ), and if I had to update the OP as well as everything else, then I would inevitabily miss one and then get dinged on having the wrong version in the OP.

Here are most of the steps I need to do when publishing an update:

1. Update the .version file
  2. Build the release file
  3. Commit all changes to Git
  4. Push change to Github
  5. Upload zip file to SpaceDock
  6. Upload zip file to Github
  7. Update the KSP-AVC website with the correct version of the mod
  8. and finally, I try to post in the thread the version number and change log

This all takes time.  The more I add, the more chance of something being missed.

AVC is a wonderful tool.  I use it because it works.  Don't delete the MiniAVC.dll file unless you have the full AVC mod installed.  And don't complain that you don't have an up-to-date version.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please remove the mod entirely and then reinstall, I think you may have two copies of the dll installed

Yep, that was the problem.  Somehow, I had a DLL in GameData/EditorExtensionRedux and GameData/EditorExtensionRedux/Plugins

Hm, @linuxgurugamer, I'm unable to isolate NoOffsetLimits from the rest of the mod. I see in your github master that there's a separate .dll file for NoOffset limits, but it didn't do anything when I placed it in gamedata. Both as a plain plugin or in it's usual filepath. Am I missing something?

Just now, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm, @linuxgurugamer, I'm unable to isolate NoOffsetLimits from the rest of the mod. I see in your github master that there's a separate .dll file for NoOffset limits, but it didn't do anything when I placed it in gamedata. Both as a plain plugin or in it's usual filepath. Am I missing something?

Yes, that was a special request, it was a custom build and I'll have to redo it.  It is not part of my normal build

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Not a lot, but may take me a day or so to get to it.

Why not just install the full EEX, you can disable most of it now from the settings

Will try. The only thing I didn't like from Editor Extentions was changing the symmetry wheel from bars to numbers. If you can disable that in settings then I wouldn't have any issues with it :). I'm just too used to the standard symmetry look. With the numbers I usually have to dig for a few seconds for the right symmetry option.

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Will try. The only thing I didn't like from Editor Extentions was changing the symmetry wheel from bars to numbers. If you can disable that in settings then I wouldn't have any issues with it :). I'm just too used to the standard symmetry look. With the numbers I usually have to dig for a few seconds for the right symmetry option.

Not yet, but there is now a small window you can show to pick the symmetry from a button, rather than cycling through