Angular Velocity - A KSP Animation

Chickenkeeper

Hello all, I made a little animated film based in the KSP universe to teach myself a bit more about 3D animation. It's all fully 3D, no in-game footage was used :)

Below is some of the development work that hung around while this project was still a WIP:

Spoiler

A little flythrough test of the Kerbin system: https://youtu.be/UWu7q9fEz3c

A test of the reentry effect, with some background music from Gravity to 'set the scene' a bit: https://youtu.be/BC63mTR-RGk

Some images of the newly textured spacecraft: http://imgur.com/a/H0DT7

Some stills of Kerbin and the Mün: http://imgur.com/a/ivrW1

Edited by Chickenkeeper
Replaced WIP content with finished video

I'm loving this!  Getting that reentry effect setup must have taken some time.  I'd love to pick your brain on that material setup your using sometime. It looks believable while not appearing to have insane render times. 

Following this with anticipation! :)

12 hours ago, davidy12 said:

I'm in love with this. Now all we need is for someone to make a Dunatian/Duna mission (NOT PRESSURING YOU). I can't wait to see this. Maybe turn the models into mods in the future. 

Thanks, I do actually have a range of scenarios which I would love to bring to life already planned out, and I would love to do as many of them as possible. As for turning the models into mods it's not impossible, I would most likely need to hand that task off to someone else so I can devote as much time as possible to animating ;). The main complication is that the models are very high poly (the spacecraft is ~1.5 million when subdivided, which is far too high for the game) so would need to be either carefully reduced or entirely re-modeled, and the latter would take quite a while.

10 hours ago, CliftonM said:

What are you doing this in?  Blender? 3DS MAX? MAYA?

MODO actually, it's a bit of a hidden gem. It has much less low-level fuss than Maya while keeping most of the functionality, so for individuals or small studios it's perfect :)

I originally wanted to use Blender to see how far I could push it, but its particles, rendering tools and interoperability between other software was too lacking. Particularly the lack of micropolygon displacement and inability to chain particle systems. I did still manage to get a prototype of the re-entry effect working though, using hacks and messy workarounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDs21v74R0

10 hours ago, Sanic said:

Looks really nice. But the Apollo missions used fuel cells ;)

They did, but this isn't an Apollo mission :P. The name suggests Apollo, the events suggest Gemini or Soyuz, and the spacecraft looks more like an Orion. I don't want to stick to historical events, they've been done before :P.

Besides, solar panels make prettier debris ;)

2 hours ago, Chickenkeeper said:

I originally wanted to use Blender to see how far I could push it, but <snip>

I'm still floored by the effects you were able to squeeze out of Blender even with its limitations.  Faking believable heating/fire effects without using volumetrics isn't easy to pull off from what I've seen but yours appeared very close.  Eagerly anticipating more!

4 hours ago, Chickenkeeper said:

MODO actually, it's a bit of a hidden gem. It has much less low-level fuss than Maya while keeping most of the functionality, so for individuals or small studios it's perfect :)

I originally wanted to use Blender to see how far I could push it, but its particles, rendering tools and interoperability between other software was too lacking. Particularly the lack of micropolygon displacement and inability to chain particle systems. I did still manage to get a prototype of the re-entry effect working though, using hacks and messy workarounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDs21v74R0

They did, but this isn't an Apollo mission :P. The name suggests Apollo, the events suggest Gemini or Soyuz, and the spacecraft looks more like an Orion. I don't want to stick to historical events, they've been done before :P.

Very cool.

15 hours ago, Chickenkeeper said:

Solar panels are more kerbal too.

Finished texturing the engine and some of the rest of the spacecraft. I'm also rendering an experimental flythrough of the Kerbin system at the same time to make sure the shaders are temporally coherent and the displacements or bumps aren't creating any sparkling or rippling artifacts. I should have that up in a couple of days, but in the meantime I'm working on getting the spacecraft textured and finished:

rnHiCEB.jpg

Finally got the flythrough test done, while rendering I noticed there were some problems caused by the Displacement Rate being a little too high and the Refinement Shading Rate being miss-calibrated, causing some visual artefacts and unnecessary render time increases. But everything seems to be good now, so here's the final version of the test, with a little music added for effect:

Now I can focus 100% on getting the spacecraft textures done, so I can finally start making some 'real' shots. (Until I get very close to the planet of course, volumetric clouds are going to be sooo much fun... *sarcasm* :P)

That vid sounds like it needs a narrator. :) Will the kerbals (or whatever) talk?

I'm not a bad voice actor. Let me know if you would like any help with anything! I'd be glad to offer help. (I stink at 3d modelling though, but Im not bad at all with premier pro etc.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

On 12/28/2015 at 1:02 AM, YargJay9991 said:

That vid sounds like it needs a narrator. :) Will the kerbals (or whatever) talk?

Thanks for the offer, but while there will be some subtitled dialogue I'm going to be using some pitch-bent radio transmissions for the voices for now.

2 hours ago, Sanic said:

@Chickenkeeper Will Minmus be getting some beautification?

Not in this animation I'm afraid, it's just going to be the Mun and Kerbin at the moment.

I've been getting a bit more spacecraft texturing done, here's the current state of the Service Module:

K43P7f2.png

There are some pieces missing from that image, but they are just temporarily hidden so they don't get in the way. (Also I know that rivet doesn't quite line up, the panels rotation was just a little off when I rendered that image :P

I've still got to finish the textures for the solar panels and command module, but everything else is going smoothly. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.