Deep Space Exploratory Vehicle design thread

Design specs for the DSEV-1 (Bannon classification number: SMMI-01IE)

Modules: DSEV-1 Main Exploratory Module (MEM), DSEV-1 Planetary Descent Vehicle (PDV)

Crew: Up to 9

Crew spaces: 1x Mk2 Lander Can (MEM), 1x PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container (MEM), 1x Mk1-2 Command Pod (PDV)

Mass (MEM and PDV combined): 55.9 tons

Thrusters:

MEM: 4x IX-6315 Dawn ion engines

8x RV-105 RCS thruster blocks

PDV: 1x RE-L10 Poodle rocket engine

4x RV-105

Fuel:

MEM: 105000 units XenonGas

1030 units MonoPropellant

PDV: 750 units LiquidFuel

880 units Oxidizer

600 units MonoPropellant

Electricity:

MEM: 4x Gigantor XL solar arrays, 4x SP-L solar panels, 4x Z-4K batteries

PDV:  4x SP-L solar panels, 4x Z-400 batteries

Available Delta-V (MEM ion thrusters): 8,478 m/s (I've heard somewhere that this is more than enough for a Laythe shot.)

Sorry about lack of pictures, my upload speed right now makes snails look fast. I will add a screenshot ASAP. It currently does not have a lifter, so if anyone can suggest a good high-orbit-capable heavy lifter design to put this thing into space, I'd love it. (aiming for a ~200km circular orbit before Kerbin departure without using the PDV or MEM thrusters at all if possible)

Share your long-range space vehicles here!

12 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

The MEM must have an abysmal TWR. :P Still, a very nice ship.

Yeah, but it has enough delta-V to get almost anywhere in the system if you are patient enough for long burns (it has ~50,000 seconds worth of burn time).

13 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

Try connecting struts from the payload to the fairing itself (I presume you're using one). ;)

The issue is that the PDV wobbles, not the DSEV as a whole. I couldn´t reach the PDV with struts from the fairing. Any suggestions?

Build a temporary frame in 4x symmetry out of girders from underneath the fairing which goes up around the fairing, make it far enough away from the fairing so that when your mouse is near the ends of the frame the fairing remains undisturbed, strut from the payload through the fairing to this frame, delete the frame, your payload is now strutted to the fairing.

This guy did a video on it I set it to the time he builds the frame

Edited by selfish_meme

8 hours ago, SheVa Nine said:

The issue is that the PDV wobbles, not the DSEV as a whole. I couldn´t reach the PDV with struts from the fairing. Any suggestions?

Excuse my terrible ASCII art, but I meant like this:

(___[PDV]___)
(      [DSEV]    )
============
[ LIFT STAGE ]

( ) = fairing
== = fairing base
__ = strut (with the first end on the payload and the second on the fairing)

And instead of trying to put struts on the fairing, do this:
1. Build fairing
2. Put a big wing or structural I-Beam on the payload, which will stick through the fairing (don't worry, this is temporary). Add more beams to extend it until it's long enough that you can mouse over the end without the fairing expanding.
3. Put a strut on the payload, and attach the second end of it to the end of the temporary beam, making sure that the fairing is not expanded when you place the second end (maneuver the camera around as needed). The strut should be "intercepted" by the fairing and attach to it instead of the beam, securing the PDM.

Edited by parameciumkid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.