I wonder how many mods I could install if I ran KSP on NASA's newest supercomputer

adsii1970

Probably not too many; it sounds like it's tooled to run astronomical calculations and not play video games. But, then again, this is NASA, they aren't funded to play stupid video games, they're funded to research and increase understanding and awareness of astronomy and space in general.

So called super computers gets their power from parallel computations. As in multi-threading on many multiple cores. KSP is currently limited to 32 bits single threaded calculations. It can only run on a single core with 3.8GB memory.
KSP won't run much better on a super computer than on a decent desktop.

1 hour ago, Flymetothemun said:

Probably not too many; it sounds like it's tooled to run astronomical calculations and not play video games. But, then again, this is NASA, they aren't funded to play stupid video games, they're funded to research and increase understanding and awareness of astronomy and space in general.

Oh, I know that.  But still... I do wonder what it would be like to have that much, or even a fraction of that much computing power at my fingertips. For my daytime job, I run SPSS, a statistical analysis program. It is a memory hog and can take up a lot of processing power...

14 hours ago, katateochi said:

I don't even know if GHz or RAM even have any meaning to a machine like this!? and as @Flymetothemunsaid, it's not built for games (or anything else except Traveling salesman type problems)

BUT as it's NASA and people at NASA play KSP, so if they ever do decide to run a game on it, it could well be KSP! 

Nah, it'll probably be Orbiter.

Its a (pseudo) quantum computer, at the moment they dont even know what kind of operations you could run on one of those. Its like asking which games you could perform on that when the transistor was invented.

KSP wouldn't even run on it. It's a D-Wave quantum computer*, KSP requires a classical computer with an x86 processor to run.

* There's some debate as to whether the D-Wave machines are actually exploiting quantum effects or not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.