[WIP] German WWII rockets including never built absurdities

TiktaalikDreaming

1 hour ago, JH4C said:

For some reason that link takes me to YouTube?

Ha.  I copied the link from a youtube comment I made because finding your own steam links is awful.  It must have linky copied.  Gonna plain textify it.

2 hours ago, ARTOBAN said:

I buy KSP in GOG.com (((

I'll make pop them somewhere soon.  The old shares are actually on a "no longer paid for" dropbox, so, not the most suitable destination. 

Which I can't do at the moment because Steam won't gimme my files without installing steam on this work PC, which is a "no no".  But later.  promise.

Made a quick edition of the A-4 engine in the new shader.  It's um, absurdly shiny in the VAB;

7NFVVkH.png

Outside, it's not quite so bad;

NYxTjXM.png

But still shinier than I was hoping for.  It also seems to have faded out some of my normals.  But it's possible I tagged some lossy compression or something.  

2 hours ago, tater said:

This is tangentially related because of von Braun, but I thought you of all people would appreciate it:

https://www.rmastri.it/spacestuff/wernher-von-braun/colliers-articles-on-the-conquest-of-space-1952-1954/

(download the color AIAA versions in the links there)

Nice.

I have some nice drawings for both the VB gliding multistage launcher and the moon lander, but they're in a large, hard-cover book, and there's a lot of page fold in the middle.  I did start doing a moon lander at one stage, but I just checked, and it's not much past plonking some spheres in.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

Poll, not poll, opinions welcome.

Next up, clean up the A-10 or do the wasserfall?

Still have some texture work to do on the A-3 through A-5, but it's basically just some adding of minor layers.

For continuing, keep in mind the wasserfall was tested, but guidance was <redacted> and the A-10 got to "we built an engine test facility" and no further.  So realism on either is going to start to be speculative.

10 hours ago, Ranchoth said:

Having the smaller Wasserfall engine around would be handy for some odder pseudo-historical missions. (That, or some nice Schmidding SG34s)

Since messing around with these things in Realism Overhaul, I've been strongly considering some 30's/40's vintage mini SRBs for ullage.  That A-12 stages waaay too early in RO, the air is still very thick, and you'd need some serious ullage.  Coating the A-11 in these red suckers would probably do the trick.  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

So over the past few days I've been tinkering with this mod, and I've been having a blast. Something I'm curious about, though, is whether the latest version of this mod - written to work with 1.5.1 - is compatible with 1.3.1. I ask this because I have downgraded to 1.3.1 to use certain mods that are incompatible with later versions of KSP.

Is there anything that prevents me from using the 1.5.1 version of this mod with 1.3.1 KSP? Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Vectorv12 said:

Is there anything that prevents me from using the 1.5.1 version of this mod with 1.3.1 KSP? Thanks in advance!

Well if Tiktaalik does go ahead and use the stock part switching, then that's not available in 1.3.x so you'd be stuck there. I never used 1.3.x so I couldn't comment on anything else that may have changed between then and now. There's not many mods that still require such an old version of the game to run though; it might be better to try and find ways up getting them updated rather than hoping stuff made now might be backwards-compatible.

Ah, I see, thank you @TiktaalikDreaming!

And yeah, @JH4C, i'm currently looking into doing that right now. The only mod that's keeping me pinned down in 1.3.1 is the GN Drive Mod, which is something I'm very fond of as a Gundam fan. However, I can't use it in later versions of the game due to a bug with the particle effect system that causes an extremely bright and distracting strobe flashing effect to appear.

That, and I feel like the 1.5.1 version of OPT Spaceplane Parts is inferior to the original ^^;

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, nasa legolas said:

This is a great mod. Buut is it going to update?:huh:

Will it update: Yes.

When will that happen: No idea

I've just moved house, and have basically no spare time at the moment to look at mods.  At the moment, the A2-A5 are pretty much ready to roll, but there's no cockpit version updated, no ramjet, and none of the proposed silly stages (A-10, A-11, A-12).  There's also no A-9 swept wing.

As a rule of thumb, parts mods (like this) should be fine to use older version in newer games.  The A-10 RCS that is a vent on the trailing edge of the fin is pre-RCSFX and points the wrong way, but everything else is good to go in the new version of the game.  But, I'm part way through rescaling as well, so the parts mentioned (basically the historical parts) are what I'd stick to.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is the GameData\WernhersOldStuff\configs\RealismOverhaulWernhers.cfg up to date with all changes from the Github repo?

Probably not.  It might be close on the A-4, as the part list is the same, but I would need to check scales.  Some of the parts of the old version were modelled at half, others at full, the new one should all be rescalefactor=1.0 for RO

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

Wow I cannot believe I am seeing an awesome KSP mod for the V2 with the engine and so many versions of Von Brauns machines! So cool! So really following this. 

Danke.

I was a bit surprised there was only one other half abandoned version when I first looked at this.  Considering the career aspects of KSP, I'm a bit surprised there aren't a few more mods doing this.  Note: Current version hasn't really got updated A-10+, but the stuff that was built is updated, even if I couldn't greatly increase the unplanned self disassembly chances.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Astrion said:

It does work in RO but with ROEngines they put in the V-2 engine from the Taerobee mod.

Are you sure about that? The ROE model is a much nicer one than Taerobee provides. The ROE git cites the source for the RD-100 series as RealEngines by Alcentar. Still would love to have an A-10.

1 hour ago, nepphhh said:

Are you sure about that? The ROE model is a much nicer one than Taerobee provides. The ROE git cites the source for the RD-100 series as RealEngines by Alcentar. Still would love to have an A-10.

My mistake. I had thought they had added it in. Maybe it was an older version of it.