[WIP] German WWII rockets including never built absurdities

TiktaalikDreaming

• 2 weeks later...

First flight with the new gimballing vanes.

WA9J2B2.png

And an incorrectly converted normal map :/

I'll be reducing the effectiveness of those vanes.  I did that on the A-4 as well, moved a larger proportion of the thrust to not gimballed.  That bit's just balancing.  The most abundantly clear thing I need to do next is a new plume though.  "fx_exhaustFlame_blue" is hilariously bad for this, esp stacked up.  with the gimballed copies and so on.

• 4 weeks later...

the ''wing(s)'' of A-9 have a strange texture and don't match the rest of the A-9. It's like dark green, but when you hower over it it looks strange. 

Also, is there something to write in the VAB search to get that all parts show up?

Great mod newertheless!

17 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

the ''wing(s)'' of A-9 have a strange texture and don't match the rest of the A-9. It's like dark green, but when you hower over it it looks strange. 

Also, is there something to write in the VAB search to get that all parts show up?

Great mod newertheless!

Um, I'll have a look.  They *should* have the same colour switch options as the other broadly A-4 parts.  Strangeness might very well be bad normals.

Cries...  I forgot I should update things.  Uploading a year or two of work on revamping the aggregate 4 extras.  The wings, ramjet, and cockpit all fully revamped.  There's 2 editions of the cockpit, with or without RPM.  Because I forgot all that and I'm just rolling the whole thing up to the current build, it includes a very early edition of the A-10 Engine revamp, which I don't guarantee won't be awful yet.

Thanks @Starhelperdudefor noticing something was off.  I couldn't find it.... until I checked what the release version was.  LOL.  I'll be over in the corner smacking my head into a wall.  :waves: 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'd like to start by saying thank you for making a mod that's become a staple of my KSP installation! The A-4/V-2's been a trustworthy companion during the early days of my Kerbals' space program, and I have you to thank for it.

Unfortunately, I've uncovered a strange bug where the auto-fill functionality in RealFuels doesn't seem to extend to the A-4 engine, as shown below.

unknown.png

However, when the larger A-10 engine is used instead, it works fine.

unknown.png

I've been using the A-10 as a workaround, but I'm worried that the ratios of Ethanol75 to Liquid Oxygen are incorrect. Is this a fault on my end of some sort?

On 1/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, Vectorv12 said:

Hi! I'd like to start by saying thank you for making a mod that's become a staple of my KSP installation! The A-4/V-2's been a trustworthy companion during the early days of my Kerbals' space program, and I have you to thank for it.

Unfortunately, I've uncovered a strange bug where the auto-fill functionality in RealFuels doesn't seem to extend to the A-4 engine, as shown below.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I've been using the A-10 as a workaround, but I'm worried that the ratios of Ethanol75 to Liquid Oxygen are incorrect. Is this a fault on my end of some sort?

No, I've noticed the same thing, just never really got around to checking what might be causing it. I wasn't sure anyone but me was stupid enough to try use RO with these, lol.

Ill take a look at the various realism configs.

Are you using the full realism overhaul suit or just real fuels?

13 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

No, I've noticed the same thing, just never really got around to checking what might be causing it. I wasn't sure anyone but me was stupid enough to try use RO with these, lol.

Ill take a look at the various realism configs.

Are you using the full realism overhaul suit or just real fuels?

I'm currently using just real fuels at the moment. I did attempt to use RO with this, but that was quickly abandoned when I realized that a lot of Tantares parts don't work with RO

On an unrelated note, the little TV screen in the new A-9 cockpit is amazing! It took me a bit to get it to work at first because I didn't realize I was missing ASET, but once I got that installed it worked flawlessly. 

13 hours ago, Vectorv12 said:

I'm currently using just real fuels at the moment. I did attempt to use RO with this, but that was quickly abandoned when I realized that a lot of Tantares parts don't work with RO

On an unrelated note, the little TV screen in the new A-9 cockpit is amazing! It took me a bit to get it to work at first because I didn't realize I was missing ASET, but once I got that installed it worked flawlessly. 

A lot of things really don't like the rescaling needed. for RO.  That said, I wasn't sure if it was an RO or RF thing, and this kinda confirms it's an RF thing.  Thanks.

And... damn... I was trying to remove dependency on ASET.  I started the IVA with a bucket of ASET props, but once I started making all those silly old-style gauges I aimed to remove ASET as a dependency.  I'll have to check why.  RPM itself supports the screen, I musta stolen something intermediate I think.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:23 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

A lot of things really don't like the rescaling needed. for RO.  That said, I wasn't sure if it was an RO or RF thing, and this kinda confirms it's an RF thing.  Thanks.

And... damn... I was trying to remove dependency on ASET.  I started the IVA with a bucket of ASET props, but once I started making all those silly old-style gauges I aimed to remove ASET as a dependency.  I'll have to check why.  RPM itself supports the screen, I musta stolen something intermediate I think.

Ah, I see, so that's why they're not compatible. Oh, side note, if RO is the reason why the A-4 control room was made larger between 1.8 and the latest version, thank you very much for doing that, because now I can fit more goodies inside! :D

20210131023321_1.jpg?width=807&height=45

Edited by Vectorv12

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, Vectorv12 said:

unknown.png

unknown.png

I suspect this might be because I redid the A-4 Engine as more complex than a dual propellant thing.  It consumes *mostly* Ethanol(75%) and LOX, but also potassium permaganate and high test peroxide.  To work around this, I figured out the (not very difficult) ways of setting default tanks in ModuleFuelTank and stole those pesky numbers provided by Operation Paperclip.  And whether I'm right or wrong about why it doesn't work, adding the default TANKs does work.

Fix in quicko patch here https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/WernhersOldStuff/releases/tag/0.19.210423

Will add to release packaging on spacedock later.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, Rui_AD said:

Can A-4 climb vertically?
RSS only rises up to about 15km.

Are you using RO?  I think my rescaling only operates IFF RO is installed. I think for just RSS it'll be kerbal sized, and with a reduced efficiency and mass ratio, to make it more typical for KSP numbers...  Yep, all ":NEEDS[RealismOverhaul]"

I'm not sure if I can do all various combos of things that change things, but I can do the common ones.  If there's a call for RSS with realistic ISP and mass fractions, without real fuels and realism overhaul,  I can do that.  I didn't think anyone did that though.  

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
Updated with offer

@TiktaalikDreaming
Sir, y
our mod is the PERFECT addition for my upcoming, new, installation, in wich I needed a what-if scenario for an "early-ww2 style rocket career", to complement other mods I'm starting to use:

I'm not in the career mode yet, but I'm building some sort of "alternative kerbal timeline" in my kerbal world, in wich our Wernher Von Kerman explored all the Aggregat-serie:

DEtExlP.jpg
From left to right:
A-2 (extreeeeeeeemely tiny rocket :D)
A-3
A-5 (Aggregat aerodinamic development, first version)
A-5b (*fictional* second series for development/later sounding rockets - from Taerobee - ... I'm lucky that I kept it saved somewhere, as it is no more publicly available, being very useful for early sounding rockets...)
A-4, development phase (from CNAR - for later more sounding rockets, with its included -not here- WAC Corporal)
A-4/V-2 production
A-4b
A-6
A-8 (stretched V-2, from CNAR)
A-9
A-9 + A-10
A-9 + A-10 + A-11
A-6b + A-10 + A-11 + A-12
(... plus, probably, more combinations of the later ones, with various A-4 / A-6 / A-6b / A-9 ... etc etc... as last stage)

... and just for my reference/comparison, 2 rapidly built Redstone rockets tankage (first one from your mod, just capped by BDB parts as guidance/nosecone, and the second fully BDB)

---------
Beside, just a question (for my curiosity):
Is the A-6b with the ram-jet/alike atmospheric engine suitable as upper stage for an A-10 stage, or probably is it better  as stand-alone rocket, using the non-atmospheric capable as upper stage?
Using the dedicated decoupler (the taller one, to avoid to clip it into the A-10 tank from the inside) it has enough clearance, but still it clips a bit with the A-10 fairings, so I'm unsure if it was meant to be...

Edited by Araym
English grammar and stuffs

8 hours ago, Araym said:

@TiktaalikDreaming

---------
Beside, just a question (for my curiosity):
Is the A-6b with the ram-jet/alike atmospheric engine suitable as upper stage for an A-10 stage, or probably is it better  as stand-alone rocket, using the non-atmospheric capable as upper stage?
Using the dedicated decoupler (the taller one, to avoid to clip it into the A-10 tank from the inside) it has enough clearance, but still it clips a bit with the A-10 fairings, so I'm unsure if it was meant to be...

The idea behind the A-6 etc, I believe was a second stage for the amerika rocket, aka A-10.  that said, i am aware there clipping issues.  The A-4 and prior have had a revamp pass with rescaling and such.  While the A-10 and higher have not yet.  The intention is to deal with that, and possibly re-imagine the re-imagined decoupling going forward.  

On 5/3/2021 at 5:54 AM, Astrion said:

I've heard about this design for a transcontinental rocketplane that could carry passengers across the US in 40 minutes. I decided I wanted to try to make a mod for it, and since it's based on the V-2, I thought maybe it could be useful for connecting with this mod.

http://www.astronautix.com/t/tsienspaceplane1949.html

It looks a *bit* optimistic.  :D  The idea of a craft using the A-4 aero size/shape to fit 10 passengers?  After shoe-horning one kerbal into the nose as a pilot, I salute anyone who can find space for 10 passengers.  Also, landing looks to be a bit un-thought-of.

But, at the time, there were a LOT of designs, a lot less thought out, all based on the A-4.  People saw a lot of potential, and for many, the restrictions and limitations weren't yet apparent.  2 things you'd want is a much better ISP than 75% ethanol+LOX.  That's not horribly hard to get, but to get the numbers talked about it would need really good.  As astronautix says, it'd need LH2+LF2 sort of numbers.  What they don't say is you'd also need very good propellant density, which LH2 would pretty much ruin.  It would be an interesting challenge.  You'd need to figure how much space a 10 person cabin would take.  Slide bonus propellant tankage where-ever you can fit it.  And see how much volume there is.

Thanks for the feedback! Now that you mention it, trying to fit 10 passengers would be a bit overwhelming. While I'm not sure how accurate it is, it does give measurements that shows it would be nearly 3x wider and 2x taller than a V-2. This does make it seem to give a lot more space, though it would probably still be a bit cramped. As for landing, I don't know how it could have landing gear on it and still be stable, but I have seen artwork that gives the design larger wings similar to the A-4b instead of those tiny winglets, and using those may allow for more landing gear space. I'm thinking maybe the propellant could go somewhere above the engine (obviously) and its endpoint might be around under the wings. Over them would be the passenger space, and unless the rocker would be piloted, a remote guidance unit in the nosecone that could allow more space for passengers.

On a side note, I have seen some other art that shows what looks to be the same design in orbit, though probably not in a passenger configuration. If you needed to get it into orbit, you would probably need to add an extra stage (or stages), similarly to the A-10 configuration.

8 hours ago, Astrion said:

Thanks for the feedback! Now that you mention it, trying to fit 10 passengers would be a bit overwhelming. While I'm not sure how accurate it is, it does give measurements that shows it would be nearly 3x wider and 2x taller than a V-2. This does make it seem to give a lot more space, though it would probably still be a bit cramped. As for landing, I don't know how it could have landing gear on it and still be stable, but I have seen artwork that gives the design larger wings similar to the A-4b instead of those tiny winglets, and using those may allow for more landing gear space. I'm thinking maybe the propellant could go somewhere above the engine (obviously) and its endpoint might be around under the wings. Over them would be the passenger space, and unless the rocker would be piloted, a remote guidance unit in the nosecone that could allow more space for passengers.

On a side note, I have seen some other art that shows what looks to be the same design in orbit, though probably not in a passenger configuration. If you needed to get it into orbit, you would probably need to add an extra stage (or stages), similarly to the A-10 configuration.

Ah, I didn't catch the rescaling.  That would go a long way.  And the landing issues are both gear and the wing.  It's fine to have short stubby wings at MACH 12.   But you don't want to try landing, with passengers, like that.  Even the X-15 had bigger wings, and I get the impression the landings wouldn't be "rich customer friendly".  But rich people can be odd.

Yeah, there might be some tweaking needed for it. I found an article (https://io9.gizmodo.com/fly-coast-to-coast-in-40-minutes-via-rocket-plane-453663129) and it describes the rocketplane as also having a ramjet, using it to fly to an airport and land at 150 mph. Even then, the fact that it would be launched vertically (my guess is that it would load the passengers horizontally, and then lifted vertically), including the speeds during ascent, would make it less than ideal for carrying passengers.

By the way, I calculated the volume for passenger space if they were to placed in the central part of the rocketplane. It is a ~23 square meter space, so it probably might be able to carry 10 passengers, but not comfortably.

Edited by Astrion

• 8 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 5:29 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

First flight with the new gimballing vanes.

WA9J2B2.png

And an incorrectly converted normal map :/

I'll be reducing the effectiveness of those vanes.  I did that on the A-4 as well, moved a larger proportion of the thrust to not gimballed.  That bit's just balancing.  The most abundantly clear thing I need to do next is a new plume though.  "fx_exhaustFlame_blue" is hilariously bad for this, esp stacked up.  with the gimballed copies and so on.

Is this model included in any of the releases?

• 1 month later...

@TiktaalikDreaming has graciously and kindly granted me permission to adopt this awesome mod!

GitHub repo projects - issues - download (when new version released)

CC BY-SA 4.0 - SpaceDock - GitHub - CKAN

Originalforum repo download

CC BY-SA 4.0 - SpaceDock - GitHub - CKAN

news when there is news.

Follow on social media and also The Short List (links in signature) for updates.

Edited by zer0Kerbal