2. Launch it
  3. Fix it
  4. Verify it
  5. Certify for VFR
  6. See if MJ can launch it
  7. Fix it so MJ can launch it
  8. Verify it
  9. Certify for IFR

The way I see it, if any design is too flaky for MJ to fly it's not robust enough for general use but is fine if I'm just using it as a one-off.

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'm sort of curious to try MJ but I'm not really sure what I'd use it for? Really the only thing I'm interested in is the additional info like AP/PE/time to/ etc...

MJ comes into its own when you are doing launch after launch after launch to assemble things in orbit, or send up supplies, or land a mining vessel for the 10th trip.  In short, as soon as execution of the flight plan starts to get tedious and repetitive.

I much prefer designing new vessels, assembling stations in orbit, etc.

Mechjeb is the first mod I search for when a new version of KSP comes out. I prefer MJ's ascent autopilot over manual for many reasons, predictability being one of the most important. One less variable when trying to figure out why my payload detached from the transfer stage at 500m above the pad. (It was insufficient struts, if anyone wants to know)

The customizable readout windows are great, too. I display odd but sometimes useful things like vehicle cost (so you know how much you're costing the company when you crash) and local gravity alongside always useful stuff (especially when flying manual, like early in career mode) like Time to Apoapsis and Ap/Pe altitudes. I even cheat and display True Altitude so I know how far until I crash, not hit sea level (which is not really useful below orbital flight paths unless you actually ARE aiming for the sea).

48 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

MJ comes into its own when you are doing launch after launch after launch to assemble things in orbit, or send up supplies, or land a mining vessel for the 10th trip.  In short, as soon as execution of the flight plan starts to get tedious and repetitive.

I much prefer designing new vessels, assembling stations in orbit, etc.

A fair point, and well made sir!

I think I'll install it and check it out, couldn't hurt.

I'm very against mods that change gameplay or add parts but I think MJ is almost more of a user interface thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.