What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

So some kerbals die the standard ways. But some just get into a 50g turn on Eva and get ripped to pieces. So I ask you what is the most horrible way your kerbal died. For me it's probably the kerbals that died that were in my car parked next to the vab and then I drove a bus off the vab and it managed to hit the car just where the driver was sitting. No pics sorry;.;. Post below

list of ways kerbals died

1. Squashed by your own rocket
  2. kraken
  3. killed by a falling 30 ton bus
  4. ripped apart on duna
  5. hit by an srb
  6. vaporized on jool
  7. twitching?
  8. used as exhaust from a service bay
  9. Smashed on eve
    Falling from 100 m rocket
    Bit his shoulder to death
    Eeloo is made of hydrochloric acid
    Gyro kraken
    Plane issues
    Kamikaze
  10. SCIENCE
  11. Burned by engine
Edited by 322997am

Last night, I had Bill 850+ meters deep, working on a deep-sea science station. Switched vessels to move the support platform closer to the diving bell, and switched back to Bill like normal.

Bill apparently had been messing with his air mix again, because he just disappeared in a puff of smoke. Just... PUFF. Gone.

I TOLD him that tri-mix was safer than running Jeb's special Iron Man blend...

I killed a kerbal by nudging the capsule with a prematurely ejected SRB in launch. This "nudge" happened at around 70m/s relative velocity, a sheared off a fin, which collided with my LFO tank, and blew it to pieces. Which unbalanced the craft, sent it into a spin, and the G-force meter on my navball maxed out just before everything exploded violently at 7500m.

A close second: my proof of concept for an asteroid landing mechanism. Suffice to say that they work well as heat shields, but don't do quite as well as a replacement for landing gear.

The crew of the Phoenix III, having visited Duna, Dres, and three of Jool's moons, triumphantly returned to low Kerbin orbit, detached and deorbited their crew module, deployed parachutes... and then, without any warning, the ground and the oceans vanished; all they could see was a pale blue glow at the center of where Kerbin used to be and the stars behind it. They could do nothing but watch in horror as the numbers on their altimeter slowly ticked down to zero, at which point the entire lander, crew and all, ceased to exist in a puff of smoke.

It was at this point that I decided to abandon the save and finally update to the new version.

Worst would be when 4408 mark 2 ate a kerbal.. Really

There she was idling away with a single detriot diesel genset on a steady chug to keep the lights lit.. Crew scattered around bombo bay 80km from KSC 

she'd suffered a non critical mid wheel failure and a kerbal was sent out to repair it..

Having repaired the wheel it disturbed me that a locomotive was idling with no crew inside.. A kraken attractant of warrented fearfulness..

So using the then-new ability to climb things..i sent a kerbal to climb 4408's nose with the ideal of climbing over the windscreen and horns then sliding down the side of the cab and boarding.. No fuss..

That didnt happen...instead after climbing up the truss that made the wheel mounts and climbing again..the kerbal disapeared..

No dust..still able to be controlled..but somehow digested by 4408

What happened was the kerbal somehow climbed between the mini adaptor plate on the nose and the passenger pod.. And got stuck there

Any attempts at moving made most lesser parts wiggle concerningly..

Eventually..out came the kerbal at light speed..upwards.. Fell to the ground and erupted into a cloud of dust.. It seemed 4408 wasnt hungry 

The BEST way a kerbal died was when valentina pulled a horrible face killing any immersion I had to an otherwise perfect drive

She was promptly ejected from the cab. Fell off the back of the train.. And went poof..

It was entirely justified :)

Edited by Overland

I was flying a ship to Duna. The Mün was kind enough to offer a gravity assist. I took up on its offer, made the burn, and started time warp.

Three Kerbals went splat against the Münar surface only a short time afterward.

It wasn't the most horrible way for a crew of brave Kerbonauts to meet their end. But it was the most traumatizing. Getting to Duna for the first time, when everything was said and done, cost the lives of nine Kerbals. 

Had my first space station in LKO, crewed by Jeb, Bill and 3 greyshirts. Was playing with USI life support, and they were well looked after with years' worth of NOMS.

Decided I wanted more of a challenge, so deleted USI-LS and installed TAC-LS. Booted up KSP and got the (obvious) msg that it "couldn't load space station due to missing parts" ..the USI stuff.

Astronaut complex - all 5 members are listed as MIA. Not even KIA. They're now just ghosts in the machine.

Mine was really awful:

First, I had a massive rocket that had bad staging.

The boosters on the side separated and scraped the middle of the rocket.

The ship was going down fast, so I EVA'd Jeb, and he landed back on earth on his head (unharmed)...

Then an Mk 1-2 command pod, 2 Rockomax Jumbo Fuel tanks and a Mammoth liquid fuel engine crashed back down onto him.

Amazingly, he was still alive...until a massive solid fuel booster (still burning) slammed into him dead-on.

I went to counseling after that for about 2 years. Still haven't quite gotten over it.

Another time, a similar thing happened where the staging was wrong, so I made my kerbal jump out of the command pod, only to

land back on Kerban on a "Launch Stability Enhancer", and died.

...im a broken man...literally...

Well, I'd always say I never built a working SSTO in my KSP life. And that's true.. to an extent. I had three which got to SPAAAACE!! successfully, but none of them returned to their mother planet alive.. and all the brave Kerbals were killed with them.

My first attempt had been a success, just barely achieving an orbit around 75,000 m. The aircraft had the Delta-V to return, but it was never built to survive re-entry, or at least that wasn't in mind when I tried it myself. 

And I got what I deserved.

The aircraft was spinning uncontrollably on re-entry, but wasn't burning up -- This was in 0.90 -- so I decided that my Kerbal was more important than my aircraft-- I made my move. EVAed out of the aircraft.

I knew the drill. Turn on RCS, drag mouse downwards -- Kerbal would land head-on. After a long fall with me drastically trying to decrease my horizontal velocity, I prepared for the worst.

It seemed to be over. The Kerbal rolled over and over, then stood up.

It happened. What was a Kerbal became a pile of smoke and ashes.

Honestly, I think it was good to put him to rest. He had a fall from 30,000 m and crashed into Kerbin head-on. If he survived, I certainly think it would've hurt a lot.

Another painful part was that I had short-lived triumph -- The Kerbal could've lived and had a story to tell. 

Edited by Columbia

I haven't had any deaths for a while now. Not because I'm so good - I just F9 everytime something really bad happens. I'm bad at accepting death :/

One of the first deaths I had, was a Kerbal who did a crash-landing on the mun (my first!). He survived, and later I decided to rescue him, so I landed a capsule "close" to him (about 10km away). I EVA'd, and started to Jetpack to the capsule. I accelerated, and accelerated - I wanted to get to there fast! For some reason, I did not consider that I'd have to slow down again.

When I realized that I DID have to slow down, it was already too late. I crashed into the ground at 120 m/s and he went poof. Now he's a tiny little crater in the Mun, so close to the ship that would rescue him.

8 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

That's not horrible... that's glorious. :cool:

Literally going out in a blaze of glory.

6 hours ago, ostrich said:

One of my kerbals starved to death on reentry.

That's actually quite tragic!

A long time ago (pre 0.18) I had a death that has gone down in my Kerbal's history as the first (and only) case of Kerbal on Kerbal violence.  One Kerbal actually murdered another Kerbal in cold grey-dust!

I'd been assembling a large crowd of Kerbals for a mission (this was back before even crew manifest, so they had to be brought over in other ground-support craft).  I'd been unceremoniously dumping Kerbals out of bus at the meeting point, so most of them were lying on their backs and two had ended up close together.  When one of them jumped up he stomped on the head of the guy lying nearby and killed him!! Actually curb-stomped the other guy to death! Brutal!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.