What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

7 minutes ago, Vysionone said:

My scientist Pierre was squished like a bug by my Mün Lander landing gear.

[snip]

My other scientist Curie jumped out of a fast-spinning capsule, and was hurled at the flag pole at high speeds.

I see what you did there 

Edited by Brownhair2

Sundiving!

Slow buildup of heat makes for a slow and painfull solar death.

A guy called Jebediah went out to experiment close to the Sun, he wished he didn't brought snacks in his pocket so he would have died from starvation alot earlier.

He will always be remembered as one of the bravest Kerbals in the history of KSP.
(meanwhile loading a savegame with another Jebediah)

My 12 Kerbal SSTO ferry was bringing the crew back from the station, when a wing dropped off in the high atmosphere, I waited until we were under 240ms then ejected the kerbals and started deploying eva parachutes. All twelve chuts opened only 9 kerbals survived, three lost their lives to the physics range. :'(

Burned to death after a staging error on the launchpad.
My SRBs and their decouplers were staged simultaneously, while the launch clamps were not staged. This was causing the boosters to hit the main rocket tank which caused that to explode,
which caused tanks further up to explode which eventually lead to total destruction of the command module by secondary explosions after being separated from the main rocket.
Of course I had no LES on my rocket on that day. It was out of order and being overhauled because of a missing mandatory warning label above one of the exhaust nozzles that should say:
"If you can read this, your crew is safe from possible staging errors."

I never use the kerbals, I prefer realism and find them weird and annoying. Rather than having them available, I put them in various habitable pods and launched them into the sun in RSS using my Delta IV Heavy replica I modeled a while back. RIP kerbals, you will not be missed.

Spaghettified.  I tried to fit a kerbal in the 1.25m parts container -- which usually works -- and something went wrong.

After this I started doing all my rescue missions by robot so passengers would have a real cockpit to climb into.

Edited by Corona688

I accidentally smeared Jeb across the surface of the Mun. I landed on the Mun, but I burned up so much fuel that I didn't think I'd be able to get back. Using the USI Life Support mod, I decided that, he had 30 days worth of supplies, I'd do a short hop to  more equatorial landing site where I could drop noms and oxygen until I had the chance to figure out how to Martian him back home. Well, I ran out of fuel at a very low altitude and decided my best option was to have Jeb take his chances with an EVA jetpack. Kerbals will still be finding pieces by the time we reach Alpha Kerbtuari!

During the descent of one of my first Duna landings, I decided to have the pilot hop out of the cockpit for a quick EVA report. At the time I had no idea that air resistance could knock the poor guy right off the ladder. He tried to slow down with his jetpack but at the speed he was going there was no chance. *paff*

The mothership had a spare lander (I was overbuilding everything back then) so the mission was able to continue, but it was a sad day for kerbalkind.

Not particularly mutilating, but I still shutter thinking back about this one particular 1.0 mission where Valentina had done a great job early in career, and after landing just hopped out of the capsule to collect some EVA science... only to turn into this big explosion upon touching the surface. I just sat there for five minutes, staring at my screen...

76WeK9s.jpg 

Built a rocket to go as low and fast over the ocean as possible. Broke up at an altitude of 7Km, Mach 7.5. when it happened the G meter spiked and the Kerbal simply died from the excessive Gs, fractions of a second before the rocket exploded into oblivion completely. It was an earlier build, before the heat system.. Long before that in the demo the first Kerbal I got out of the atmosphere ended up burning up in said atmosphere because I went on EVA and never made it back.

I guess he didn't burn up back then.. He made it to the surface and died there.

Edited by SkippydaHippie

8 hours ago, liquidhype said:

I never use the kerbals, I prefer realism and find them weird and annoying. Rather than having them available, I put them in various habitable pods and launched them into the sun in RSS using my Delta IV Heavy replica I modeled a while back. RIP kerbals, you will not be missed.

Y... you baked them! :0.0:

The lander legs from batch 1.1.2 had proven to eat Kerbals and/or explode so had been rejected.  Eventually, KSC received a shipment from batch 1.1.3 which the manufacturers claimed had all the bugs worked out.  Thomprod, Elree, and Gergor were assigned the job of performing a routine safety check.  The test rig consisted of a Mk 1-2 pod atop an empty 2.5m oil drum tank.  The tank had 8 of each type of lander leg on it, all arranged to touch the ground at the same height and each size worked by an action group to raise and lower separately.

Thomprod went first and started with the LT-2 large legs.  Each time he touched one, he got thrown violently to the side but the test rig remained in place and intact.  However, when he touched the 3rd LT-2 leg, he was tossed up higher than the water tower and died upon impact with the ground.  The Boffins jotted this in their notes and then sent Elree out to test the LT-1 medium legs.  Each time she touched one, she was knocked back several meters and the test rig jumped a bout 1 meter, but nothing too bad happened until leg #5.  When she touched this one, both the leg and Elree exploded and the whole test rig fell over on its side.  The Boffins nodded sagely and jotted more notes.

The pod's hatch was facing up so that made it Gergor's turn.  And rather than just test the LT-05 micro legs, the Boffins took the opportunity of the horizontal position of the test rig to see if touching the legs when they weren't bearing weight made any difference.  So they extended all 3 sets of legs.  Gergor walked around until he was facing the test rig's belly, then walked into the funnel of the remaining 20 lander legs, treading on several that were parallel with the ground.  This created several explosions under Gergor's feet and propelled him upwards into the legs overhead.  Some of these exploded and flung Gergor back down.  Gergor then bounced around between the legs several times, causing more explosions, until finally he was tossed violently upwards through a gap he'd previously made in the funnel and high arced up in a tangle of spaghettified limbs.  He hit the ground just short of Mission Control, bounced twice, and disappeared in a cloud of dust.  Meanwhile, the test rig flipped off the launch pad and onto the nearby fuel tanks, all of which went up in a series of large explosions.

The Boffins considered these results for a while and ultimately decided that the LT-1 legs of batch 1.1.3 met the safety standards of the Travelling Circus as there was no effect on the ship, but rejected the LT-1s and LT-05s.

Died of being inpatient. 

R.I.P. Jeb. Actually what happened was I was docking and didn't burn at the right time to get close enough, so I just burn straight at the station, but I accidentally rammed it. 

Died of planes. 

Bill got run over. 

Died of giant turtles. 

R.I.P. the astronaut complex, flag, and part of R&D. Yes, that happened. It was is real. I promise. Don't ask what I was doing. 

This was the velocity the cockpit of my aircraft blew up at due to overheating.

AA660031AF297FC2DFC06EA5D510867AE8DAE453

Out of all the velocities the crew could have exploded at, they choose a value associated with an outdated way of typing on the internet. n00bs.

Landed on the Mun for the very first time, came in too fast and one of the legs blew out. The ship started tilting over and i panicked so I quickly tried to EVA to get Jeb out cause I didnt know if the ship would blow. Got him out as the ship went about 90 degrees over....but I had never EVA'd before besides holding onto the ship for a report, so I just had to watch as the ship fell over and crushed Jeb under it and blew up, leaving no traces of anything. RIP

http://www.kerbalcomics.com/2012/07/11/episode-11-well-prepared/

Never happened to me as of yet. But I'd like to think that my ships have them just in case.

My most horrible death? I stranded a bunch of Kerbals in my early attempts at interplanetary travel. I had to put them down. Although another candidate would probably be when one of the guys died when their capsule hit the ground. pretty common now, but that one time really got to me.

Edited by Bill Phil

Just lost a 3-star 'geer because he went OIT (Orbit Into Terrain). Specifically, he orbited into a mountainside on Gilly, while I wasn't looking. He just wasn't there in very low Gilly orbit anymore. The AstroComplex said he was KIA. I knew I should have sent him down to mine the surface sooner, but I had a flotilla of probes out at Jool to manage.

On 6/30/2016 at 11:37 AM, Kerbart said:

Not particularly mutilating, but I still shutter thinking back about this one particular 1.0 mission where Valentina had done a great job early in career, and after landing just hopped out of the capsule to collect some EVA science... only to turn into this big explosion upon touching the surface. I just sat there for five minutes, staring at my screen...

76WeK9s.jpg 

That happened to me the first time I discovered a mun arch.  I landed 2 kilometers away ( a good landing by my standards of the time) and Jeb spacewalked all the way to it -- then exploded on contact with it.  Spooky.  For a while I was convinced the arches were intentionally deadly.

This is kind of gruesome.

I decided that half-covering the hatch of a Mk1 pod was a good idea (putting a small radial-attached thing there, but not far enough for the game to register a obstructed hatch), so I rolled that out on the pad and let Bill EVA.

Bill collided with the part and spazzed out, then died in a plume of smoke. R.I.P Bill, you will be missed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.