What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

During the initial stages of reentry I realized chutes had not been repacked...  So I sent out Bill (or was it Bob), who managed to repack one chute.  Then the atmosphere started having an effect and the RCS wasnt strong enough to get him back in and he floated away.  I switched back to the ship but wasnt able to get it to land on water so the other two died too as one chute was not enough. It landed NEXT to water...

One of my kerbals was testing a space to surface weapon. It was a type of bomb based on a old k bomb a few versions back. I dropped it, and realized that my ship was actually entering the atmosphere. Somehow I had forgotten to stabilize the orbit. This would be fine, except the ship in question was a top of the line battle cruiser. This also meant that it had no parachutes. Astonishingly, it's armor managed to survive the fall. The craft survived completely intact, only losing two engines. You're probably wondering how this is the worst way to die. Well turns out that bomb I dropped earlier landed a few meters away from the craft and unleashed a ball of kraken on the craft. There were no survivors. Just a lump of metal.

2 hours ago, GDJ said:

Worse than death.

That's what I thought... ;.;

It's late 2016 a few months after the release of 1.2, and I just recently have gotten back into KSP after a hiatus due to school and a pinch of boredom. I had my run of The Division, and decided it was time to get back into Kerbal to relearn EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and update my mods. I copied my old testing save and resumed where I had started off again: doing a touch up pass on each body starting from Moho and working my way outwards after I was satisfied with the appearance of each planet. After about a week of flying around and changing values I reached Eeloo. 

Here is where the story really starts. After hacking my test lander to low Eeloo orbit I look around a bit and noticed something... off... with my orbital line. It's gray, though it should be blue. I zoom out a bit and a ghostly command pod appears, sitting on the opposite side of Eeloo and orbiting at the exact same location in space as my current vessel. I had absolutely no memory of putting this pod here. I kid you not in saying that I went pale. It was Jeb. Sitting patiently, with a smile on his face, with a mission run time that was well over a thousand years.

How this occurred: When I was just starting out in visual modding I had a system to view each planet's custom effects and test fps. I'd launch a mk1 command pod and edit it's orbit to various altitudes around the planet I was editing. No extra parts or parachute, just the pod so I could accurately see fps changes. This was way back before I started officially working on Spectra... Well, I had used the same save for every iteration of EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement mod I made and all I did each time was copy the quicksaves and persistent. I did a lot of time warp to see what the system looked like in motion and record it. A lot of time warp. I must have logged off at 3am one night and didn't revert my save or the game must have crashed or something, but either way I forgot to return Jeb before any of this had happened. 

So basically, in this teaser, this early showcase, and this release cinematic, as well as just about every other video or stream I've done involving visual pack editing, Jeb has been sitting patiently. Waiting for me to go back to Eeloo, and notice him.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Going on a normal science grinding mission around the KSC. I get on the green from the runway in a early vehicle. I turn on the juno and speed up to 30 m/s. I watch as the border to the KSC buildings draw closer. I hit the brakes and slowed 20 m/s. I looked away for a vital second. When I looked back the command pod explodes with Bob, my only scientist. ;.;

So, I rage quit.

On 12/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

That's what I thought... ;.;

It's late 2016 a few months after the release of 1.2, and I just recently have gotten back into KSP after a hiatus due to school and a pinch of boredom. I had my run of The Division, and decided it was time to get back into Kerbal to relearn EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and update my mods. I copied my old testing save and resumed where I had started off again: doing a touch up pass on each body starting from Moho and working my way outwards after I was satisfied with the appearance of each planet. After about a week of flying around and changing values I reached Eeloo. 

Here is where the story really starts. After hacking my test lander to low Eeloo orbit I look around a bit and noticed something... off... with my orbital line. It's gray, though it should be blue. I zoom out a bit and a ghostly command pod appears, sitting on the opposite side of Eeloo and orbiting at the exact same location in space as my current vessel. I had absolutely no memory of putting this pod here. I kid you not in saying that I went pale. It was Jeb. Sitting patiently, with a smile on his face, with a mission run time that was well over a thousand years.

How this occurred: When I was just starting out in visual modding I had a system to view each planet's custom effects and test fps. I'd launch a mk1 command pod and edit it's orbit to various altitudes around the planet I was editing. No extra parts or parachute, just the pod so I could accurately see fps changes. This was way back before I started officially working on Spectra... Well, I had used the same save for every iteration of EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement mod I made and all I did each time was copy the quicksaves and persistent. I did a lot of time warp to see what the system looked like in motion and record it. A lot of time warp. I must have logged off at 3am one night and didn't revert my save or the game must have crashed or something, but either way I forgot to return Jeb before any of this had happened. 

So basically, in this teaser, this early showcase, and this release cinematic, as well as just about every other video or stream I've done involving visual pack editing, Jeb has been sitting patiently. Waiting for me to go back to Eeloo, and notice him.

The Blunderbirds have not gone to eeloo yet...maybe @Matt Lowne would be interested?  

The most horrible and shameful death of a kerbal in my experience is being squished under a wheel of a truck while trying to repair it. It was on Eve, the truck was loaded with heavy Karborundum, and the truck's brakes were unprepared to hold it still under high gravity and a heavy load. The wheels popped, and the truck started sliding downhill. A kerbal engineer came close and tried to repair the wheels, but got squished...

So, I was performing a Minmus rendezvous, pushing my kerbal rescuing abilities. I had come right next to the kerbal, which was relieved to have seen the floating vessel, especially when they're stranded in low minty orbit. I switched over to the kerbal, and began inching towards the craft, when suddenly, BOOM! The vessel, containing the probe core and another rescued kerbal, had vanished in a fiery cover. It had seemed, the vessel had been in a crash trajectory with Minmus. "Well, time to load my last quicksave." Thank god I made one before the rendezvous.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:53 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Here is where the story really starts. After hacking my test lander to low Eeloo orbit I look around a bit and noticed something... off... with my orbital line. It's gray, though it should be blue. I zoom out a bit and a ghostly command pod appears, sitting on the opposite side of Eeloo and orbiting at the exact same location in space as my current vessel. I had absolutely no memory of putting this pod here. I kid you not in saying that I went pale. It was Jeb. Sitting patiently, with a smile on his face, with a mission run time that was well over a thousand years. I forgot to return Jeb. 

Lonely Jeb "Snaaaaacks plz..."

Edited by richfiles

As the story goes, I had not once successfully landed on Duna and returned. "So", I thought. "I'll do a round-trip with an SSTO, no reverts or quicksaves". It was simple enough. I would  just slap a FL-T800  on my Minmus SSTO(Which I had succesfully flown to Minmus twice) and be good to go. I spend hours mostly playing with maneuver( Yes, that's how I spell it) nodes, but I had finally got to an aerobraking trajectory around Duna. I aerobrake until I reach about 20km. Then, as my nose tips down I realized my fatal mistake. I hadn't tested the aerodynamics of the craft for Duna. Or, you know, AT ALL. My nose was at a 35 degree angle and dropping, and I couldn't pull up. And I was going 800 m/s at 15km above the ground. The plane was about as aerodynamic as a brick, mind you. No matter what I did I couldn't slow down or pull up. Then, I remembered I had one tiny drogue chute. On the back engine. Only on one side. In a  maneuver I learned from War Thunder, I rotated 90 degrees to the left, spammed the S key, went into a spiral, hit the drouge chute, and I managed to get down to 100 m/s and keep the nose at a 45 degree angle. I was going to make it! 6km. 5km. Misestimated and was actually 500m above the ground. BOOM! After 10 seconds I opened my eyes and saw the plane fully intact rolling down the hill! ... except for the cockpit. The ENTIRE rest of the plane was intact. The painful irony was the worst death possible.

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

About a year I dropped a decent ship (Cupola module with parachutes and an inflatable heat shield) into the atmosphere of the planet candidate KIC 7848638 b (which turned out to be a false positive a month later). Jeb was on board, and while in-atmosphere I let him out. Big mistake. He got stuck in the shield and when he did get out with Phys Warp, he...um...Krakenified. Spazzed out until he was as big as the planet before smashing into the surface. 

EDIT: I just remembered a even worse event

I had kerbalism installed for the first time and wanted to try it out. So I sent 5 kerbals to Eve. All went well, life support functioning, felt like a very successful mission. Until landing. During re-entry I was bright minded enough to over incline my re-entry path, and on the worst planet to do it on as well. So, Eve and it's thick atmosphere decided to vaporize my lander/TAKEOFF ship, but the capsule was fine(had a heat shield). So they landed, but this became one way, and over a period of 20 days they starved to death. 

The end

Edited by Pupper
New event

I was playing career mode a while back and I was doing one of those observation contracts early-game. So, I built a rather big airplane that some stupid designer decided to put only 2 junos on. I also wanted to carry an engineer so I could repack the parachutes along with my pilot, and put Bob in a mk1 cabin at the tail. I desperatly tried to pull up(remember: only 2 junos) and the tail cockpit hit thee runway, taking out Bob with it. I reverted. Bob remained dead.

Munar return, mk1 capsule with jeb inside. Circularized kerbin orbit. Trying to adjust reentry angle... Fuel depleted. Reentry angle is too sharp, G-force makes jeb unconscious, I can't control the craft, can't open parachutes. When he regained consciousness, the capsule is already 600m above ground....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One time I was coming home from a mission to the Jool system, and I had 5 kerbals on board my craft. That is, until stage separation right before re-entry, when I noticed that I had only included 3 seats on the re-entry capsule. Panicking, I EVA’d the two remaining crew from the doomed ship to the command pod, and had them hold on to the ladder for re-entry, on the side of the capsule that wouldn’t be facing the heat, except they were separate vessels so that didn’t even matter. 

Yeah, needless to say, that didn’t end well for them. :(

I can't remember if I posted on this thread before or not but I will re-tell my story. 

It was my first ever attempt to land on the moon. I had no idea what I was doing. Surprisingly I did pretty well. I came in with to much vertical velocity and I didn't realize my engine bell extended bellow my landing legs. I came in to land and my engine exploded and tipped my lander over. My astronaut survived surprisingly!! 

Rescue mission time. I could not recreate my relative success from the first attempt and killed 5 kerbals trying to rescue him. So I decided to send up an unmanned rescue craft... and landed right on top of him killing him.

I had a kerbal just disappear from the cupola of a large ship (443 parts 1800 tons) just yesterday. I guess the Kraken got him. The worst part about it is I don't even remember his name. I would think if someone just up and vanished from existence that someone would remember them. I believe a fate worse than death is to not be remembered. And, even worse still, all his co-workers are just smiling away like nothing ever happened. They don't even seem to care that no one is flying the ship.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.