What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

I once had Val fall prey to the Vashta Nerada.

I'm not sure what happened.  She had launched to the runway in a small rover, inside a command seat using Take Command.

She was still out there when I saved and went to bed.  She was not out there long enough to die (TAC).

When I loaded the save the next day, I noticed she was on the MIA list.  Rover was still out on the runway, but had no crew.

And this part was where I really wish I had a screenshot, but somehow did not think of grabbing one.

She was still in the command seat.  Right clicking on her brought up the box, but had no options.  She had her helmet on, which was wrong, because I have TRR installed.

Her visor was also darkened.

I forgot to count the shadows.

On 2/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, Geonovast said:

I'm not sure what happened.  She had launched to the runway in a small rover, inside a command seat using Take Command.

She was still out there when I saved and went to bed.  She was not out there long enough to die (TAC).

When I loaded the save the next day, I noticed she was on the MIA list.  Rover was still out on the runway, but had no crew.

And this part was where I really wish I had a screenshot, but somehow did not think of grabbing one.

She was still in the command seat.  Right clicking on her brought up the box, but had no options.  She had her helmet on, which was wrong, because I have TRR installed.

Hey, who turned out the lights?

I was playing with EVA around my new space station with Jeb and decided to dock a new part to it. So I went back to the VAB, built up a new component, launched it and began the interception. I miss timed it a bit and was going about 200 m/s when I zipped right by.

What I forgot to do was bring Jeb back into the station.

I somehow managed to hit him as he was slowly drifting away from the main station.

• 5 months later...

One time I sent Jeb to Gilly on a superlight ion craft, with a command seat instead of a capsule. It had a nosecone and airbrakes protecting the seat for reentry to Kerbin, but they were barely enough. Most of the time Jeb caught too much heat and went poof. I finally managed to land after a bunch of reloads and way too many aerobraking passes.

Another incident was also heat related. I was midway through a career game, and had just gotten an SSTO into orbit. I sent Bob out to collect some science... but the hull was still hot from the ascent and poor Bob fried when he left the airlock.

Sanbree Kerman landed a tourist on the Mun and spotted an Arch on the rim of the crater about 2km away and 300m higher than her landing site. After going up for a photo she headed back to the lander using her EVA jetpack.She failed to monitor her vertical speed  during the descent and made a new crater. Luckily the tourist had enough supplies to hang out while a replacement pilot was sent to retrieve him.

The story of how Valentina Died... (All times are not real... I don't know when it actually happened.)

Saturday 4th August, 12:10 PM: Liftoff of M1. Everything is nominal. After successful circularisation, Munar flyby and return trajectory plotted. The burn was successful.

. 1:05 PM: Entered Atmosphere. The heat shield was jettisoned when it was no longer needed. They were travelling at around 200M/s still. Valentina EVA's to get one final EVA Report just before the chutes deploy. She gets pulled away because of the intense speed. Her parachute couldn't deploy in time. Everyone else was safe...

RIP valentina...

Currently, my total accepted deaths (i.e. they died, and I couldn't revert to launch or the last save was too far away) rests at 5-ish? The main four have all suffered the wrath of my unscrupulous space program, and some poor schmuck went with them.... The most horrific death would have to be the one time Val got eaten by the Kraken while on the Mun. Then there was the time Jeb and Bob crashed into the side of a mountain because of poor time-warping management (I had collected SO much Science, they were on their way back to KSC and I was using time warp over the desert ranges. I was looking at my phone and didn't notice the plane nosing down. I actually stopped the time warp with time to maneuver, but the plane was so bulky i couldn't avoid the peak of one of the mountains. I clipped the wing on the mountain peak and corkscrewed right on in...) Bill EVA'd during a re-entry, and the one grey shirt.... I don't remember him.... 

Now, the number of unaccepted deaths are in the thousands, including a resent test flight of my SSTO prototype. For what ever reason the stupid thing stared pulling to the right while taking off. A distinct lack of steerable wheels and lousy rudder control resulted in the deaths of over 30 Kerbals..... The prototype pitched up and to the right uncontrollably and smashed directly into the tower, resulting in the total destruction of the hanger facility....   There were no survivors...... until i reverted to the hanger for more testing....:D

2 of my Kerbals died testing missiles.

3SaJ4ex.png

The missile destroyed the right wing of the Stearwing A300 and sent it into a death spiral and I didn't eject them in time. You can see what remains of the torn off right wing in the picture

Recently, Jeb died in my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia "Take Five" career.

Unreliable hardware is a given with Test Flight in play, but that wasn't what killed Jeb.  What killed Jeb was that, after the main engine failed around a kilometer up, and the abort sequence worked perfectly, the Conical Cockpit burst out of the fairing, stabilized flat end first (due to a couple hundred kilos of lead in the base, and a set of small fins on the pointy end) -- and then I realized there weren't any parachutes.  I'm playing in "hard" mode, so I have no reverts or even quick-loads; Jeb was dead the moment I released the launch clamps, and with the engine failure, he didn't even get to burn up during reentry.

In the early days of my Space Center I launched the Dinawing to a polar orbit.It had the cargo bay full science labs.Where did it go wrong?

Well i was a noob.......And during reentry............You know what happend to the Columbia shuttle?.Yeah that happend

10 kerbals lost;.;

Then there was this situation with TAC life souport were the mod TOTALLY Glitched and it wasnt registering my invisible solar panels......

For story pourposes i blew up a rocket with 180 kerbals.They tottaly got to the escape pods in time

Trying to fly a rocket made for profesionals when i had 2 hours of experience..........IT WHENT FANTASTICfor the kraken

Physicwarped through Atmosphere.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:53 PM, Geonovast said:

Valentina-Kraken? (Emiko Station, paging @Just Jim)

On 2/13/2018 at 6:53 PM, Geonovast said:

Wish I had known, I could have helped.... 

8FoKrhA.gif

Today, I lost Enby Kerman to the side of a mountain while trying to plant a flag next to the monolith.... He was airdropped in riding a lander. Gears deployed flawlessly, parachute opened without incident. Everything went perfect..... except Jeb's aim... He was supposed to drop in on a small flat area about 2km from the cliff that had the monolith.... He actually dropped on a shear cliff about 5 km away from the target landing zone.... We're working on Jeb's aim now....

On 8/4/2018 at 6:40 AM, LinksSpaceProgram said:

I accidentally pressed the EVA button...while reentering the atmosphere...from geostationary orbit. I don't think I have to explain more

*Ground Control to Major Tom....* :D

Goodbye... .   .            .                     .                               .                                  .

ig8mROL.png

RIP ✞

Edited by Triop

• 2 years later...
On 12/9/2015 at 5:42 PM, 322997am said:

So some kerbals die the standard ways. But some just get into a 50g turn on Eva and get ripped to pieces. So I ask you what is the most horrible way your kerbal died. For me it's probably the kerbals that died that were in my car parked next to the vab and then I drove a bus off the vab and it managed to hit the car just where the driver was sitting. No pics sorry;.;. Post below

list of ways kerbals died

1. Squashed by your own rocket
  2. kraken
  3. killed by a falling 30 ton bus
  4. ripped apart on duna
  5. hit by an srb
  6. vaporized on jool
  7. twitching?
  8. used as exhaust from a service bay
  9. Smashed on eve
    Falling from 100 m rocket
    Bit his shoulder to death
    Eeloo is made of hydrochloric acid
    Gyro kraken
    Plane issues
    Kamikaze
  10. SCIENCE
  11. Burned by engine

How to bit their shoulder?

Edited by T-20000

One time I made a flying wing that actually was flyable, and had some decent maneuverability.  I ended up using an EVAed kerbal for a camera pivot point for a video of a flyby.  I ended up flying too close to Samdorf; one very loud *SCHNIKK* and she was gone, along with the left wing.  R.I.P. ;.;

On 8/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, Triop said:

Goodbye... .   .            .                     .                               .                                  .

ig8mROL.png

RIP ✞

I'm guessing this kerbal was found with their sticky fingers in Jeb's snacks locker, then not so politely being told they could walk back to Kerbin, by being chucked out of the airlock.

Having a close approach with an asteroid, about 2 billion meters from the sun, where the orbits intersect perpendicularly. 

The relative velocity was 20 km/sec, I knew I wouldn't be able to cancel that velocity. To spare years of being stranded close to the sun, I put the poor kerbal out of her misery by making the close approach 0 meters, where the ship would slam into the class D asteroid and vaporize in one frame.

Glorious, but at the same time, PTSD inducing.

I still get flashbacks of the kerbal's face stretched into a scream as the asteroid appears out of the clear blue and everything explodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.