What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

I had a journey to Duna where I wanted to land my Kerbals on the surface and do their stuff, and meanwhile send a small station to bring them back.

But I wish they even landed. I had parachutes and some engines but after deploying the parachutes I already found myself dropping huge amounts of speed so I thought let's just turn the engines off and save them for the return.

The ship was too heavy for the parachutes I guess? Or I was going too fast, I dunno, but once the parachutes opened up the whole ship got ripped apart, watching parts exploding and flying in different directions. The capsule survived from the explosions... unfortunately. As the poor Kerbals knew they were dead, falling at a high speed.. boom.

God bless quicksaves.

Yay 100 horrible deaths. Now I think the previous post beats them all. Cause you just sit there getting thrown around knowing that you will smash into the ground any moment but you don't know when.

Well, in my 'serious business' install everyone is alive and well.

In 'screwing around and wip modding' install - the most horrible are spontaneous combustion, clipping into runway and testing EVA parachute prototype. Damn, that was like really bad, parachute killed all my roster. :D

9 hours ago, djnattyd said:

For some reason, drag stopped existing in my game yesterday and the Mk1 pod carrying Ludwin Kerman smacked into the ground at Mach 2.6. It was horrible.

Veeery horrible.

Back many versions ago I decided to take a Kerbal very close to the sun, you know for science.  Well this would have been all well and good except for the fact that when the Kerbal went out on EVA it did the mysterious slingshot off the command pod door, and "crashed" into the sun as a direct result.  Normally I would have went back to a quick save for something like this, however I did I revert back 8 missions and causing me to burst out into laughter.

• 3 weeks later...
On December 18, 2015 at 4:16 AM, Inverurie Jones said:

I managed to get the ship and its crew home, only to have the lander parachute down onto the top of a slope, slowly topple over and then, having jettisoned it's 'chutes, begin a roll down the mountainside to explodey doom. I bailed out the crew but the tourists on board refused to leave the vessel and died as a result.

The tourists thought it was part of the ride. At least they were having fun until they burned alive. 

Edited by ForsakenVoyager
Misspelled a word.

A long skydive gone wrong. Imagine the fear. You don't have a parachute and you have about a minute or two before you hit the ground. During that time, you struggle to cope with the realisation that today your life ends. You realise that you will be missed by your family and friends. You know that there is nothing that you can do to stop your fall, but you hope. You hope for a divine intervention, a plane with an open cargo bay full of cushions to land in. But, it does not come. You see the ground approaching rapidly, you accept your fate.

And that is why falling is the worst way to die.

Spent ages building a Saturn 5VB in Sandbox Mode , my first one using FASA Parts

Launched an pressed the "T" Key .............erm they cartwheel badly them Saturn 5's

Back to the drawing board , Same Saturn 5 this time i'll use Mechjeb , all set up engange auto pilot , press space bar , at 9000mtrs ASL it disintegrates.

Saturn 5 now on manual control , up she goes 8000 ASL its wobbling press the "R" key an steer with the WASD Keys wobbling even more now , then the capsule sort of falls off , press the spacebar , Parachutes open , lands safely yehaa.........till...............yup.............the entire stage 1 assembley falls onto the capsule.............

A short while later after mucking about with fuel loads i'm at 11,000ASL wobbling a bit less when i swear I hear Bob say "Whats this button do".............after that I gave up for a while ............

I recently designed a fully controllable helicopter with FAR and infernal robotics

however as I found out in a later flight (sadly I don't have video of it) when I parked the helicopter with running engines and tried to see if Bill could jump off the cockpit, walk around the heli and climb back in...

with new innovations apparently also come new hazzards to kerbals - especially if a craft like this starts to wobble and tilt...

... can we add "helicopter blades" to the list? ;)

I once had a Kerbal who decided he was going to EVA from a spaceplane at supersonic speeds. He rolled over the plane and became wedged in the tailfins. He spent a long time that way, knowing full well he was going to die while the plane continued at full throttle, until it presumably eventually crashed into the ocean. (Or ground, It was a vary stable plane and I wasn't about to wait 20 minutes or an hour to see the inevitable and obvious result.)

my Jebediah got killed by a out of control helicopter,why?,because i runned out of fuel in the middle of the flight....

next time i will put parachute on the helicopter..

the other time a few kerbals got killed was on my career, first sub-orbital hop,the crew pods speed was too high on re-entry,so the parachutes just burned....

While not the most horrible way, here's a quite disappointing one:

I needed a plane that had extreme STOL capabilities. So I built a craft and went out to test it. It flew nicely in the simulations, so I decided to push it to the limit: land it on the highest "horizontally landable" point on the mountains near KSC.

And it turns out, that the attempts to maneuver at quite low speeds were in vain, and the plane crashed. Valentina, however, survived. But hey, I thought, let's RP this situation. Send another plane to land NEAR the mountains, in a flat place, and have Valentina walk to it so Bill could fly her home.

A very long time of walking afterwards, Valentina is somewhat near the plane. A bit more than a kilometer and a half. Oh the joy, this actually worked. Impatiently desiring for this to end already, I enabled physwarp x4. Valentina then suddenly erupted into a dense, gray cloud of organic compounts that once were part of her body (aka randomly popped) after taking a few steps.

Nearly an hour was wasted for this. GG KSP, no re.

Edited by Guest

I don't know how horrible it was for poor Valentina, but it was crushing for me:

Valentina came back from a very successful Munar survey mission.  85 degree orbit (to avoid the exploding south pole), got every biome, great re-entry, and to top it off she landed in the mountains.  A biome I hadn't yet explored, so I got her out to cap my success with a surface sample and eva report. Now at this point it bears mentioning that this was a 1-kerbal expedition, and from being in this thread you can probably imagine what happened next.  The Mk 1 command capsule bug hit, Valentina splatted into the mountains at the speed of fast, and I was reminded that I'd set the career to no respawns.

I took the science from that mission and put it towards the Mk 1-2 capsule.

While messing around in sandbox saves I've killed Kerbals in most of the usual ways. Fire, explosions, disintegrations, long parachute-free drops, running out of life support, high-velocity impacts, low-velocity impacts, impacts with things that were several miles away at the time, etc. Even had one where the retro-rockets caused a capsule to crash into its spent booster, destroying both.

In career mode, I take things much more seriously. I maintained a perfect safety record for a long time, and even now (still playing the same career since May) I've only lost two Kerbals, and possibly a third. None in a particularly painful way (as far as anybody knows), but all three in fairly creepy ways.

Julina and Sidrie were the first crew of Bass Station in Minmus orbit. Both scientists. They were stationed there around two years, flying the occasional survey mission in one of the station's landing craft, sometimes ferrying a ship full of tourists down to the surface and back. Eventually, the survey contracts quieted down and the crew was left alone to process the data. 

A year later, another crew arrived at Minmus. Madra and Sheprod, aboard a mining rig destined to be the centerpiece of the new Base Coalwood on the surface. They burned into Minmus orbit, expecting to dock with Bass Station to refuel before landing.

But the station was nowhere to be found. Several other ships, mostly tankers, were still in orbit, but the station, its two landing craft, and its two-Kerbal crew had disappeared. Although a search was made, no debris was ever found either on the surface or in orbit. To this day, no one is quite sure what became of them.

Not long after that, KSC received a distress call from a Haica Kerman, stranded in a spacecraft in low Kerbin orbit. It was a routine rescue mission; engineer Shannon was sent up on the four-seat shuttle Alice to rescue the stranded Kerbonaut.

When Alice reached Haica's spacecraft, at first Shannon couldn't see anything at all. As the ship drew closer to the signal, she realized the "ship" was actually just a probe core, adrift in space. No other spacecraft were anywhere nearby.

Shannon retrieved the core, brought it back to Alice, and returned it to KSC. The engineers took it apart and found nothing unusual about it, except that it was an outdated model. There was no sign at all of Haica. No one knows what happened to her, or if she ever existed at all.

The most horrible way one of my kerbals died? Probably the Great Spaceplane-Rocket-ISRU disaster of 1.0.4. I had one kerbal (I think it was Jorlof) in a spaceplane being deployed by a Duna-capable ISRU-equiped rocket with three kerbals inside. While deploying the spaceplane, I realized the rocket's engine was still on........ 

1 hour ago, inigma said:

I didn't have the heart to finish the recording...

Look at the bottom of that post.

"Columbia likes this."

Can't say I'm surprised...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.