What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

12 hours ago, inigma said:

I didn't have the heart to finish the recording...

As brutal as that was, I couldn't stop laughing at the look on Jebediah's face after the shuttle exploded. What a badass. :D

Edited by Mitchz95

This happened to me recently. Rocket just lifted off the pad and had to abort so I used the Launch Escape System I designed. It was suppose to take them to safety but instead took the capsule into the ground at a very high speed...

I generally reload upon dying, but for my kerbals it's a timeflux where they experience deaths multiple times. The worst so far was trying to land a terribly unbalanced spaceplane that could not get airborne from a flat surface one the laythe north pole. After about 1h and 20 or so crashes I managed to land the spazing plane. Takeoff required another 30 or so crashes, but eventually, with the help of rcs and clever use of timewarp, I managed to take off. Bob died many a time that day, his mind was permanently scarred, so I retired him to Kerbin's lush grasslands.

This isnt particularly violent but it is horrible. 

Playing with TAC life support i sent a mission to Moho. I got into its SoI but i couldn't capture in time because my engines kept on over heating so 3 poor kerbals were sent on a trajectory out of the Moho system into a solar orbit with no hope of rescue before supplies ran out. ;.; They had a years supplies left and didn't have enough fuel to get home so they sat in a MK2 Capsule for a year knowing they were going to die of starvation. 

On the next Moho mission, I named a Crater in honor of them, The Hunger Pit....

Just had one of the potentially most horrible ways for a Kerbal crew to die - to spend several minutes waiting for an inevitable doom and being powerless to prevent it.

But they pulled an Apollo 13 and managed to get back OK. 

fnTkmtn.jpg

Re-entry went very badly. Staging was messed up and the engines didn't detach. Things got very hot very quickly. Then the probe core exploded!

There was a fair amount of "mild perturbation" when it became clear they had no control over the craft. The 'chutes could not be opened!

Thank goodness we had Bob onboard though. He quickly applied his big brain to the problem. He ordered Ronner to do an emergency in-atmosphere EVA and deploy the 'chutes manually!

It worked (which I have to say I didn't even know was a thing in KSP until I tried it).

The crew landed safely, if a tad unnerved. 

oUCVAdB.jpg

Edited by Foxster

This is the story of Jebediah, Bob and Bill and how hey passed away.

The KSP were preparing for the capsule of 3 Kerbals to enter Kerbins Deadly atmosphere. Mission control gave the all clear. As Jeb looked at the controls, he saw something.

"Uh Keuston, :0.0: I think were going to need to sl..."

All of the sudden, the windows were covered in steaming hot red.

Jebediah knew he was going to die. THEY WERE COMING IN THE ATMOSHPERE AT 5084 METRES PER SECOND!

Then the ablator was gone and the the only thing lefs, was the capsule. The parachute was gone.

KABOOM!
R.I.P

Edited by Dr.K Kerbal

I've lost many kerbonauts in the time I've been playing. the most horrible so far was my first manned mission to Eeloo. I think this was back in .19 or so, and I was excited. I had just entered the SOI of Eeloo and was setting up my circularizing burn at the periapsis. didn't realize while turning the spacecraft to hit the mark that my RCS was running and lowered periapsis. I time warped to within 30 seconds of the burn, and noticed that my altitude was way under where it should be. I tried burning radial to bring it up but still slammed into the surface of Eeloo doing around 1.4 km/s. Jeb, Johncott and Bill all got memorial services back at KSC.

Launched Val to the mun with a giant cannon, forgot to turn on the Jetpack. The poor kerbal died helplessly while I was wondering why the shift key wasn't working

Or...

Working on a KOOS (Kerbalized MOOS) and my kerbal fell off of the ladder. He went to the bottom of the ocean due to some glitch and the sub I sent to pick him up crashed into him and Krakenated him into deep space at several times the speed of light. He starved to death a few days later.

Or...

KSP Interstellar Radiation Poisoning. It happens to the best...

Or...

Attempting to make a sort of spacecraft tethered to the ground with heavily modified KAS and some mainsails. I did a Starclimber and got high enough that Kerbins rotation kept me in a sort of "Orbit" but the Kraken didn't recognize that and when I tried to do an EVA my kerbal fell 2865.75 Km to the surface. This was pre-0.90 so he survived the reentry but crashed into my spaceplane which was waiting on the runway, destroying both, and killing two extra kerbals.

I'm almost as bad as Danny, but  accidental this time.

Edited by KosmonautwithacapitalK
Forgot to add a few words

So my Kerbal was returning from his Minmus holiday... reentry was going swimmingly. Then I realized I had forgotten drogue chutes. I did some quick math and figured out that the primary chutes would deploy way to late and my speed would be too fast... So Thomplo EVAd and used RCS to slow himself down. He landed in the water, and was fine. Now, I don't use the recover vessel button, so I went and designed a rescue boat. The boat was a huge failure, so I realized that Thomplo had some swimming to do. When I switched over to him, he was 100 feet meters underwater and accelerating. he slammed into the ocean floor at the speed of sound. Never Forget Thomplo Kerman!

1 hour ago, Andem said:

So my Kerbal was returning from his Minmus holiday... reentry was going swimmingly. Then I realized I had forgotten drogue chutes. I did some quick math and figured out that the primary chutes would deploy way to late and my speed would be too fast... So Thomplo EVAd and used RCS to slow himself down. He landed in the water, and was fine. Now, I don't use the recover vessel button, so I went and designed a rescue boat. The boat was a huge failure, so I realized that Thomplo had some swimming to do. When I switched over to him, he was 100 feet meters underwater and accelerating. he slammed into the ocean floor at the speed of sound. Never Forget Thomplo Kerman!

What.

7 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

What.

I know. It took all of three seconds for the game to glitch and kill my kerbal AFTER HIS VACATION. I quicksaved during my boat tests too, and I couldn't save him ;.;

Edited by Andem

I prefer to dwell on my miraculous survival stories (including a few fell-outta-the-spaceship-on-reentry survivors!), but...since you asked...

[DANGER: Wall o' Text approaching!]

The one that still haunts me is the SERAPHIM I HIRV (Heavy Interplanetary Rescue Vehicle) mission:

My very first manned Mun landing went almost perfectly...ABORT decouplers threw command module clear of the crash, Jeb salvaged an antenna to use as a parasol. MISSION SUCCESS!

I dispatched SERAPHIM I to rescue him - this was early in my KSP days, and I was still building manned rescue vehicles. The SERAPHIM, being a "heavy" rescue craft, had a hab pod and a 3-man command module. I was intending to send only one crew, but two more conspired to stow away. No big deal, I've got room for four more, and this is just a one-man rescue.

Until SERAPHIM I crashed on the Mun, leaving me with four stranded Kerbals.

SERAPHIM II was hastily designed, and designated a HARM (Heavy AUTOMATED Rescue Module). It landed very neatly, just a few meters from the original crash site...leaving it about 10Km from the wreckage of SERAPHIM I. Not a problem. I began to use their jump jets to ferry the three "rescuers" over to the robot rescue...and by the third one, I got a little careless. Harlan Kerman was doing over 100ms when he caromed off the hull of SERAPHIM II and slammed into a cliff face, then plummeted into a crater. His body was never recovered. :(

Just last night I had a another bad one.

I just started a new sandbox game, and decided to do one of my patented "grip-it-and-rip-it" SSTO designs (try to throw together an SSTO by just eyeballing it, put it in a stable orbit, and then land safely back at the space center, without any testing).

This might sound pretty hard on the test pilot, but as long as you get her off the runway in one piece, you're probably in good shape even if it fails spectacularly, as long as you build in enough safety systems (as I learned on that first Mun landing, having the ABORT button get your command crew as far from the explody bits as possible is a very good idea).

Anyway - the BANSHEE MK I was a huge success, right from the get-go. A little in-flight tweaking of the control surface settings and she was steady as a rock in atmospheric flight. (Well, maybe not ROCK steady, but disabling the secondary elevons helped keep her from shaking apart.)

And she was FAST.

So fast, in fact, that soon she was shooting across the night sky like a comet. I made sure to bring up the heat indicators in KER. Climbing surface temperatures, but not critical. Jeb was balancing the increase in speed with thinner air of higher altitude, and grinning all the way...but I couldn't see him, because the heat gauges, had expanded my displays. Need to fiddle with that, can't be block-*KABOOM*

Ship rocked by violent explosion. Jeb's portrait, gone. The BANSHEE was still stable and climbing, still sheathed in plasma. It took me a second to realize what had happened.

After the events surrounding SERAPHIM I, I had taken to installing drone cores on all my rescue vehicles. That had lead to me installing cores on ALL of my ships to test them out, unmmaned, until they were (relatively) safe to fly. Out of habit, I had done the same thing with BANSHEE I, testing or no.

Apparently I'd misjudged the acceleration potential of the BANSHEE, and while I was fiddling with my HUD, the Mk I cockpit had rapidly heated beyond 2400 degrees and...well...exploded. The BANSHEE is a solid little design though, because she shook a little, parts fell off, and she just kept climbing and accelerating, plowing though the atmosphere with her trusty drone core leading the way. She carried on to stable orbit, but I couldn't let poor Jeb go out like that.

I reloaded, took her up again, solid orbit and re-entry. Well, okay...I maybe have left the autopilot on and hit the time acceleration while on my glide path back to the Space Center, and that may have caused the back 2/3rds of the ship to break off (did I mention there was a wee bit of a shimmy from those control surfaces), but the remaining chutes deployed perfectly, and Jeb set her down gently on her two remaining wheels and the nose. MISSION SUCCESS! :D

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm
Spelling is hard and stuff.

On 1/13/2016 at 8:06 PM, ForsakenVoyager said:

You left me hanging man! Now I gotta go to bed without getting to finish the story.

I don't get it...isn't that a chute on the...no...oh no, that's just a nose cone.

OH THE KERBMANITY!

-Jn-

Can't believe anybody who claims to never have killed any Kerbals - not without reloading or reverting.. IMO

(especially not in your first few games)

Once lost a Kerbal(ine) during a save I played with a friend before we found Dark Multiplayer Mod..

Early carrer and some sort of science vessel crash landed updside down. When trying to get out of capsule to get some boring "desert ground samples" for early science, she didn't survive the 10 meter fall from the capsule..

That vessel now looked like a disfigured cross slammed into the ground, so we decided to leave it there as a memorial for all past and future Kerbals sacrificed in the name of science.

It was kinda cool to watch everytime we'd fly above it, especially during nights since it could still generate power and was illuminated.

True story, I made a supersonic aircraft and made it travel to the second KSC, fuel was ok so I went for a landing. Over 10 minutes of IRL time led up to this, and with the landing gear deployed and speed slowing controllably, we were approaching the second VAB when we hit a bump in the ground. The cockpit imploded, the aircraft was destroyed, and a loss of all crew. It was a sad day. ;.;

Belly-flopping into the side of the VAB at 70m/s, then shooting out into KSC's backyard while spinning wildly, and finally burying himself into the dirt just north of the admin building at 200m/s.

Runner-up was, uh, donating, about half of the crew of a Kethane processor that would've otherwise been stranded in Kerbolar orbit.

Third place was a test of a super fast low altitude aircraft that had decoupling heat shields on the nose. The decoupling heat shields caused a catastrophic failure. This was shortly after having installed Kerbal Krash System, so the cockpit became an accordion while about half of the plane evaporated. The crash was at nearly 1100m/s into the ocean.

Edited by FungusForge

On 1/13/2016 at 6:06 PM, ForsakenVoyager said:

You left me hanging man! Now I gotta go to bed without getting to finish the story.

They perished. Not even a mad attempt at an EVA saved anyone. This mission prompted me to develop the SAMPA rescue module which I "tested" by simulating a HAL event:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.