What is the most HORRIBLE way one of your kerbals died

322997am

Oh God. Oh God. What have I done?!

Started a new "Career Lite" game (all the money and science, but with Contracts). Got a couple different overlapping contracts to just orbit some tourists.

"Simple," I thought. "I just had the Warthog I goto the Mun and back!"

I took the newly upgraded Warthog Mk II, which integrated the lift stages from my absurdly overbuilt satellite program with the landing module from the Warthog I, slapped a Hitchhiker between the Command Module and the heat shield.

"Easy money!" I thought, not that I needed it. The Warthog II-H was ready to fly! I had four ladies and Jeb's cousin, Jebadoh, to take over the horizon.

With so many passengers, I had to put Cindi Kermann up front. Bob was kind of sweet on her, so we bumped Bill so she could ride in the command module. Jebadoh didn't mind riding in the back with the other three ladies. :wink:

Everything went so well. The Mk II was absolute overkill. I'd even made sure to add some airbrakes to keep the added mass from doing anything unpleasant to the chutes...

...the chutes...

...the chutes...

...the chutes that had been designed to de-orbit just the Command Module, not a Command Module with a Hitchhiker full of tourists bolted to the bottom. The math started clicking into place just as I was deploying the airbrakes. I didn't have the heart to tell the passengers, but Cindi must have seen the look on Bob's face when Bill called up with the numbers.

We aimed for the ocean, but it didn't matter. Hit the water hard. Little Cindi, Bob, and Jeb survived, but only because the Hitchhiker acted as an airbag.

The horror. The horror.

(I was going to live with the mistake, plant four flags for the honorary Kerbonauts at the Space Center, but thankfully the game crashed when I tried to recover the module. The Universe couldn't live with the nightmares.)

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

2 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

...the chutes...

...the chutes...

...the chutes that had been designed to de-orbit just the Command Module, not a Command Module with a Hitchhiker full of tourists bolted to the bottom.

I once made the same mistake by adding the 2-kerbal 2-meter module under the 3-kerbal pod. Even worse - one of the main chutes decided it was in the service bay (and I didn't think of opening the damn bay - was too busy clicking the deploy button hoping it changes its mind). Result - 2 tourists lost, third completely freaked out. Jeb and Bob just preferred not to speak of that test flight (it failed to reach orbit - It was planned to go to Minmus after orbital refueling, if I recall that correctly)

7 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

I once made the same mistake by adding the 2-kerbal 2-meter module under the 3-kerbal pod. Even worse - one of the main chutes decided it was in the service bay (and I didn't think of opening the damn bay - was too busy clicking the deploy button hoping it changes its mind). Result - 2 tourists lost, third completely freaked out. Jeb and Bob just preferred not to speak of that test flight (it failed to reach orbit - It was planned to go to Minmus after orbital refueling, if I recall that correctly)

Heh, that reminds me of a recent SSTO test, when my tilt-wing Anhinga broke up as I was testing the flight characteristics.

I'd equipped it with an escape pod...which apparently broke free of the moorings, caromed around a bit, and then exploded inside the cargo bay.

Thankfully the crew survived (those Mk 3 cockpits are tough!) but the irony of the life boat sinking the ship was not lost on me.

-Jn-

On 12/20/2015 at 11:15 AM, djnattyd said:

For some reason, drag stopped existing in my game yesterday and the Mk1 pod carrying Ludwin Kerman smacked into the ground at Mach 2.6. It was horrible.

I had a similar problem; terminal velocity of the capsule became fatal.

Solution; run the game directly instead of using a shortcut; the current directory being different caused it to miss some physics files apparently.

On December 10, 2015 at 8:42 PM, 322997am said:

So some kerbals die the standard ways. But some just get into a 50g turn on Eva and get ripped to pieces. So I ask you what is the most horrible way your kerbal died. For me it's probably the kerbals that died that were in my car parked next to the vab and then I drove a bus off the vab and it managed to hit the car just where the driver was sitting. No pics sorry;.;. Post below

Hey guys I added a list of the ones I like and THEY ARE NOT RANKED. I LIKE ALL EQUALLY.

Just had a great one.  Was landing a new space plane, had overshot the KSC, so I was coming in from the Esat.  Fudged the landing, landed short of the runway embankment, stuffed the cockpit into the embankment, it exploded, but the rest of the plane bounced over, and landed perfectly on the runway.  It ran the full length of the runway, then detonated when it hit the light at the end.   My wreckage lands better than I do. 
  Even got a screen cap.

screenshot34_zps4fwkeffh.png

On 1/21/2016 at 8:44 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Tell that to someone who will go as far as shoving a drone core on for testing :)

My Kerbals have not died, yet probs.

No way...

I suppose that I am just crazy, once I was trying to cut down on weight so I put a kerbal into a structural panel box and flew him to Laythe (Jool aerobraking as well) as well as doing an unplanned lithobrake coming back to kerbin. He was holding on to a ladder almost the entire time, yet somehow survived.

You must be the KSP equivalent of Canada. We're so careful we have never launched an astronaut on our own rocket.

On 1/14/2016 at 9:18 PM, CliftonM said:

No-one is as bad as Danny.

Ok true, but I'm a pretty terrible player

21 minutes ago, KosmonautwithacapitalK said:

On 1/21/2016 at 6:44 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Tell that to someone who will go as far as shoving a drone core on for testing :)

My Kerbals have not died, yet probs.

You must be the KSP equivalent of Canada. We're so careful we have never launched an astronaut on our own rocket.

I AM Canadian :)

Plus, any safety risk on my flights is USUALLY accounted for by precise abort mechanisms. Not to mention I always account for 2km/s of delta-v margin, I am THAT kind of pilot. The Anti-Jeb Pilot. BadS sometimes, crappy skillz.

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Plus, any safety risk on my flights is USUALLY accounted for by precise abort mechanisms. Not to mention I always account for 2km/s of delta-v margin, I am THAT kind of pilot. The Anti-Jeb Pilot. BadS sometimes, crappy skillz.

I'm actually Canadian

DON'T tell anyone.

On 1/25/2016 at 8:48 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

On 1/25/2016 at 10:25 PM, The Optimist said:

I'm actually Canadian

DON'T tell anyone.

Hey, me too! (You may have guessed by my location though) :cool:

• 5 months later...
On 2016-01-24 at 6:48 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

On 2016-01-24 at 8:25 PM, The Optimist said:

I'm actually Canadian

DON'T tell anyone.

On 2016-01-27 at 5:43 AM, KosmonautwithacapitalK said:

Hey, me too! (You may have guessed by my location though) :cool:

I am Canadian too!

Alright Canadians, simmer down up there.

Anyways, I have tried to built a space station, recently after I bought the game. The rocket launched. It made it into a VERY awkward orbit. I sent a man to dock to it (I had no idea how to dock or rendezvous). I fired my rocket at the station. I missed, and it sent him out to an Eve intercept. I thought "Hey, I'm going away from Kerbin! WOOHOO!". His trajectory went right through Eve. He hit the ground, and the last thing I saw was 666,666 as the height and a black screen. The sound of a poof echoed in the background before my game crashed. 

Oh  no, the memories.

I was sending a nice fancy lander to the Mun once. It was a well tested, decent design, and iirc this was the seventh time I had used it. I EVA'd the Kerbal on board to do a check of the outside of the craft (I wanted to practice my jetpack skills.) After a visual inspection, everything A-OK. I went to re-enter the craft, when I realized that the hatch was pointing down. I tried everything, different angles, speeds, even pushing the ship. Nothing worked. Finally, the poor guy ran out of fuel, and I had to leave him drifting in orbit around the Mun.

This was, of course, before I knew anything about rendezvous, or that you could just click and drag the Kerbal to change his orientation. After I found those things out, his loss became even worse.

From then on, each of my lander designs was equipped with an auxiliary probe core, just in case.

38 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Alright Canadians, simmer down up there.

Anyways, I have tried to built a space station, recently after I bought the game. The rocket launched. It made it into a VERY awkward orbit. I sent a man to dock to it (I had no idea how to dock or rendezvous). I fired my rocket at the station. I missed, and it sent him out to an Eve intercept. I thought "Hey, I'm going away from Kerbin! WOOHOO!". His trajectory went right through Eve. He hit the ground, and the last thing I saw was 666,666 as the height and a black screen. The sound of a poof echoed in the background before my game crashed. 

Ah, t'is the almightly Hell Kraken

Well, Kerbalism caused one of my mun lander's engines to be damaged, so I sent an unnamed engineer down to fix it. After he was done, our pilot Valentina throttled up the Mammoth engine, and ascended into the heavens above, incinerating the poor engineer. 

As she tightened the last replacement bolt, she reported to Valentina over the suit radio. In the cockpit, Valentina gleefully smiled. The engineer saw the ignition motors fire up, and knew in her heart it was too late. A jet of white-hot exhaust consumed her and the flags they had planted, in one brutal white flash. Aboard the rocket, Valentina smiled, knowing she would never get caught...

She promptly crashed back into the lunar regolith due to a faulty reaction wheel, and joined the betrayed engineer as the first kerbals to become part of the Mun.

I was testing out a fighter once zooming around the base but conveniently forgot that I had gone to space center mode shortly after launch to look at something and came back.  Flew around and then by some miscalculation, smashed into a control tower at mach speed.  Pressed esc and no revert option....... ooh... oops.

I try not to kill Kerbals even though I have respawn enabled. So I'd say the worst death was probably spaghettification. I know, mild

EDIT:

Just remembered something. Once upon a time I was hurling Kerbals at Kerbin's atmosphere to see how intense I could get the re-entry effects. This was before re-entry heating, so no deaths. But if there was...

Edited by Brownhair2

Well, I've never had many Kerbals die, but...

In my "current" career, about half a year ago, I had six Kerbals coming home from a year long shift on the Minmus/Mun bases. I used an SSTO. I tried to land it on the runway, and I did. Just a little fast, and with an eighth of the runway left. I hit the runway light, tearing off the right wing, and then crashing all six kerbals on the ground about 100 meters later.

Way back in 0.19, I attached a booster in what I thought was 3x symmetry. It was 1x. You can imagine how that went.

My scientist Pierre was squished like a bug by my Mün Lander landing gear.

My pilot Samuel was burnt to a crisp by SSTO engine exhaust.

My other scientist Curie jumped out of a fast-spinning capsule, and was hurled at the flag pole at high speeds.

My engineer Logie was accidentally left outside during my Space Shuttle re-entry.

And probably most painfully, my other engineer Ben was penetrated through the chest by a rocket sled's MK1 cockpit going 230 m/s

Ouch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.