EOSP: Efficient Orbital Strike Package

Hi guys!

The EOSP challenge is a Kerbin-SOI extra-atmospheric test. The objective is to create a system which can place multiple guided reentry vehicles in Kerbin orbit (any stable orbit is acceptable, but higher orbits are preferred). In addition, a reentry test must be done to determine CEP (accuracy, expressed as a radial distance from target), and the system must be sustainable (must have enough onboard power generation for indefinite deployment). NO MANNED VEHICLES!

Scoring criteria:

A=Impact energy (MJ)

B= Orbital height (km)

C= Number of reentry vehicles placed per launch

D= Circular error (m)

E= Pad weight (tons)

Score= ((A+B)*C)/D*E

Vanilla KSP parts only.

Must have a functional launcher.

Example scoring for a 4-RV launcher with orbital height of 150 km, 1 GJ impact, pad weight of 100 tons, and a circular error of 100 m: ((1150)*4)/10000= .46 points.

I´ll post a submission once my computer finishes updating to Win10

Edit: Added a pad weight multiplier. Also, my submission is delayed by a previously undiscovered reentry issue.

Edited by SheVa Nine

Is there a standard target we must hit?

Also suggest you add a modifier for scoring for the weight of the vehicle on the launch pad. Lower= higher score. Otherwise it's essentially just a contest who can build the largest launcher..

10 hours ago, Kokanee said:

Is there a standard target we must hit?

Also suggest you add a modifier for scoring for the weight of the vehicle on the launch pad. Lower= higher score. Otherwise it's essentially just a contest who can build the largest launcher..

I didn't have a plan for a standard target, all it has to be is a reasonably small, surface-bound object (no 100-m targets).

Scoring modifier added! Thanks for the idea!

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Just a couple questions ...

how does the weight multiplier factor into the scoring equation? ... is this for 1.0.5?

I may have to take a shot at this once I understand how your scoring equation works and which version you intended it for

I have not yet updated to 1.0.5 (true confessions) because I'm lazy, but it is for 1.0.x (just post your version number). The weight multiplier is my bad, I forgot to add it to the equation. Note: scores will be low.

Edited by SheVa Nine

On 12/11/2015, 7:41:01, DoctorDavinci said:

Question ... Mods?

Another question ... how did you plan to determine the distance from target after impact?

I fail to understand how you can measure this accurately ... I must be missing something here

Sorry if it wasn't clear before, but let me say it again. No mods which do anything more than give you additional information. No autopilots like MechJeb, no HyperEdit, definitely no parts mods.

If you set the target as a target, then impact, it should show you the little grey or yellow box around the target with a distance readout.

On 12/11/2015, 4:17:44, Vanamonde said:

How about the buildings at KSC2? 

That's larger than I was thinking about. I was thinking something rover-sized, just drive it out a couple of kilometers from KSC and open fire.

13 hours ago, Kokanee said:

I've been trying to complete this, but all my MIRVs keep burning up on reentry.

Yeah, I've had that issue too. I'm working on a fix, and I'll post my completed entry as soon as I have it.

7 hours ago, SheVa Nine said:

If you set the target as a target, then impact, it should show you the little grey or yellow box around the target with a distance readout.

Yup, just figured that out last night :rolleyes:

I'm currently working on my Rod of the Kraken and will post my entry soon.. I parked a Skycrane + Rover at the KSC flag and that will be my target ... I figure if I can hit it it there will be a big ball of fire

Edited by DoctorDavinci

BTW, here's the rover I'm using as a target. It uses a RoveMate command box, 3 RTGs, 8 static solar panels, 4 of the larger radial-attachment batteries (Z-400), 3 2x2 structural panels, 6 short girders, and 4 TR-2L rover wheels.0VksWew.png

If you use a different target, post it along with your EOSP design.

Finally, a working version!

1382 MJ impact energy from 150 km-ish orbit (148-153 km), 4 RVs with a total pad weight (launcher + RVs) of 580.4 tons :0.0:. Circular error not yet calculated. Each RV weighs 8.4 tons with an impact velocity of 573.6 m/s.

fqZFxDk.png

A single RV

QTv43h4.png

The full launcher

QzS4Zow.png

Two RVs in space near each other

Circular error has not yet been tried for, but I'm guessing it'll be pretty large, since I don't really have a lot of fine control. If it's not just me sucking at aiming and people are tearing out their hair trying to aim their RVs, I can remove or reduce the weight of the accuracy parameter. If people do have good ways to aim, please share! :) (also, any pointers on maneuvers with SRB?)

Edit: Second test was equally unaimed, but achieved an impact energy of 1896 MJ (roughly the equivalent of half a ton of TNT). Third test broke 2 GJ (2379 MJ) and actually got a measurable circular error of 51.5 km! :( Scoring that shot, I get (2379+150)*4/(580.4*51500) a whopping 0.00042305495 points! That circular error is killer.

Edited by SheVa Nine

3 hours ago, Kokanee said:

dammit how do i add images from imgur again? I'm using the button and it keeps screwing up

When you click on the imgur icon a window appears with a text input area ... paste the imgur link in the box and delete all but the letters after the last forwards slash 'http://imgur.com/a/'

Although this only works if it is your album in imgur and not just a general upload ... General uploads don't have the '/a/' so you have to be signed in to imgur for the upload to embed properly

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.