EVA Jet pack firing when not suppose to

Trying out EVA finally and its a nightmare. The kerbal has a bad COM (center of mass) causing him to spin out of control once the jet packs are turned. And as soon as I make my first thrust ALL 8 jets fire like it has SAS. Kerbals dont have SAS but sure enuff the EVA has it and he spins toward a false direction due to the bad center of mass. Is this going to get fixed in 1.1 ? I tried an old .90 install and it was really fluid and responsive. I could get the kerbal to go forward with only the forward jets firing. But in the version 1.0.2 - 1.0.5 the mechanics were change so that all the jets fire no matter what direction your going? Please tell me this is a cruel joke Squad is sneaking in.

I don't seem to have this problem, my EVAs are nice and controlled.

When the Kerbal is spinning or ragdolling for some reason I get what you describe until it is stabilized. In the worst case this takes a few seconds. But other than that, only the thursters fire that are meant to, and no CoM issue either, they fly straight and true for me.

I know this is no help for you, sorry. Obviously something is wrong for you. Lets hope somebody has an idea

Hi FlarpingFlipperFlapper, I imagine you're activating the jetpack when you are facing straight up or down relative to the current camera mode, the fist thing the Kerbal will do is reorient themselves, this is why you see a lot of thrust.

If you don't move the camera you'll be looking at Kerbal boots or the helmet, and your attempts to move forward will result in the Kerbal spinning as "forward" is 90 degrees from the direction you're facing.

By pressing "V" you can change the camera mode, which changes the plane the camera, and the Kerbal, uses to determine where "up" is.

As the others here have mentioned, there have been no changes to stock EVA or Kerbal CoM.

21 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi FlarpingFlipperFlapper, I imagine you're activating the jetpack when you are facing straight up or down relative to the current camera mode, the fist thing the Kerbal will do is reorient themselves, this is why you see a lot of thrust.

If you don't move the camera you'll be looking at Kerbal boots or the helmet, and your attempts to move forward will result in the Kerbal spinning as "forward" is 90 degrees from the direction you're facing.

By pressing "V" you can change the camera mode, which changes the plane the camera, and the Kerbal, uses to determine where "up" is.

As the others here have mentioned, there have been no changes to stock EVA or Kerbal CoM.

I will check this out, seems plausible.

I thought the same thing on my first EVA's. Once you get used to the system, there is no doubt on control. I can EVA almost anywhere now. Sometimes you need your head pointed in a certain direction which can be a pain, but if you can rotate your ship there is no issue.

There's a mode in Settings, "EVA rotate on move", it's on by default and turning it off stops the Kerbal reorienting, you can tilt and roll in EVA by holding the left mouse button and moving it, but it's really easy to become disoriented ...

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

There's a mode in Settings, "EVA rotate on move", it's on by default and turning it off stops the Kerbal reorienting, you can tilt and roll in EVA by holding the left mouse button and moving it, but it's really easy to become disoriented ...

The mouse drag thing is really not all that useful, because as soon as you touch another control, the Kerbal snaps back to the preferred orientation. So if you need to get your feet up to access a hatch that is above your head and bumping against your helmet, you must already be translating in the proper direction before the tilt, which is quite difficult.

They fire to orient the Kerbal to be upright, facing away from you. If you move the camera and try to move it'll reorient first.

If for some reason something is stopping the kerbal getting upright, then they will continue to fire. But once it's stable that should be it (until you move the camera, of course). You can switch off auto-orientation in the settings.

Wait a minute, didn't you ask more-or-less exactly the same question a couple of days ago?

Edited by Plusck
edit P.S.

sorry for the confusion guys,  I looked on reddit and they said something had to be ticked on in the menu settings before you load the game. It was called "orient camera to kerbal in eva". Sal V. I could not find what you said was "eva rotate on move" So im afraid no cookie , but thanks for trying your best to help out.  I now am enjoying some George Clooney style jetpacking :D

5 hours ago, Plusck said:

They fire to orient the Kerbal to be upright, facing away from you. If you move the camera and try to move it'll reorient first.

If for some reason something is stopping the kerbal getting upright, then they will continue to fire. But once it's stable that should be it (until you move the camera, of course). You can switch off auto-orientation in the settings.

I should mabye add that "upright" depends on your situation. If you're suborbital (i.e. using the jetpack on a moon) then "upright" means your feet point down to the centre of gravity. If you're on an orbital trajectory, then upright means your head is towards the normal, I think.

I found out recently that this can get a touch annoying if you're somewhere like Gilly. Orbital speeds are so slow that EVAing around a ship in orbit or jet-packing around on the surface can easily have you change to and fro between orbital and suborbital trajectories. With the accompanying flurry of thruster fire.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.