noisybit

[1.1.3] Gameframer KSP: Automatically document and show off your stuff [v0.6.3-beta]

Recommended Posts

Gameframer KSP 0.6.3-beta

Gameframer KSP is a mod under development that documents your gameplay for later review, analysis, and sharing. Gameframer is currently in beta and needs your feedback and help testing!

HOW TO GAMEFRAMER

  1. Download and install the mod (drag Gameframer folder into your GameData folder)
  2. Play KSP
  3. Go to gameframer.com and bask in your awesomeness

The first time you load the Space Center you will be prompted to choose a generated username.

If you are upgrading an old version:
Your username and key are stored in GFSettings.cfg. There are two ways to preserve your username. (Hint: #1 is less work)

  1. Copy only Gameframer.dll from the ZIP and drop it in [KSP dir]/GameData/Gameframer/Plugins/ to overwrite the existing DLL
    or
  2. Save your settings file from [KSP dir]/GameData/Gameframer/Plugins/PluginData/Gameframer/GFSettings.cfg. Replace the entire Gameframer folder in GameData from the new ZIP. Replace your GFSettings.cfg.

 


FEATURES

Vessel Snapshot

  • Available in the VAB and SPH
  • Upload your vessel to share and compare with others
  • Automatically capture isometric images based on Kronal's Vessel Viewer
  • Stats like mass, delta-v, cost, etc. are automatically calculated
  • Basic mod detection
  • Share your favorite vessels


Mission Recorder

  • Available when flying a mission
  • Automatically record short GIFs on flight events (stage separation, orbit reached, etc.)
  • Manually control your own GIF creation (including automatic timelapse feature)
  • Events and stats are continuously recorded

 

 


VERSION HISTORY
 

Spoiler

0.6.3-beta
* Built for 1.1.3
* Renamed FlightRecorder.cfg to FlightRecorder.txt to avoid problems with PartTools

0.6.2-beta
* Built for 64-bit 1.1.2
* Capture GUI-less still image as well as timelapses
* "Link account" button added to settings to link your username to a gameframer.com account

0.6.1-beta - video recording fix
* Don't record video of events when in map mode
* Stop recording timelapse if map mode is entered

0.6.0-beta - initial beta release
* Built for KSP 1.0.5

0.5.3-alpha - not released

0.5.2-alpha
* Pause button in mission works now
* Can delete events from the mission details window
* Links to your vessel/mission gallery from the mod

0.5.1-alpha
* Fix mod detection
* Delete timelapse on cancel
* Adjust land/launch criteria

0.5.0-alpha
* Built for KSP 1.0.4

0.4.0-alpha - not released

0.3.2-alpha - Crash fixes
* Crash entering VAB/SPH after flying a mission
* Bug deleting vessels
* Bug terminating vessel from tracking center

0.3.1-alpha - Bug Fixes
* Mission recording auto/manual option works now
* Missions are automatically deleted on revert
* Launch event fires when the vessel leaves the ground, not stage 1 activate
* More reliable vessel uploads, small fixes.

0.3.0-alpha
* Key mission events (launch, orbit, etc.) are automatically captured with telemetry, images and short GIFs.
* Mission stats: distance traveled, duration, career & science mode results
* Delta-V, height, etc. calculations stored for vessels
* Better mod detection

0.2.0-alpha
* Memory leaks fixed; performance improved; Upload bug fixed

0.1 aka "Cross your fingers"
* First release; limited features; tiny servers

 

 


THANKS

  • TriggerAu for his plugin framework which helped clarify the mysteries of writing one's first mod
  • Kronal and bigorangemachine for the fantastic Vessel Viewer
  • r4m0n for MechJeb which flew hundreds of test flights for me
  • You awesome people for helping me test
  • Squad for making one of the best PC games of all time

 

 


Plugin source code provided at Github.

This software is provided "as-is" with no warranties.

Copyright 2016 All rights reserved.

Edited by noisybit
release 0.6.3
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance of ever breaking that gif recorder into a standalone mod? That sounds pretty cool. The whole idea is neat. I'm a big fan of archiving missions but I rolled my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Any chance of ever breaking that gif recorder into a standalone mod? That sounds pretty cool. The whole idea is neat. I'm a big fan of archiving missions but I rolled my own.

I'll add modularizing the GIF recorder to my list, should be possible once I finish some refactoring.

kerbalspace.agency looks amazing. Great job. My long range goal with Gameframer is to facilitate the creation of these kinds of archival views in any game by any player with minimal effort by the game developer. I've got a long way to go but I'm working on it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, noisybit said:

I'll add modularizing the GIF recorder to my list, should be possible once I finish some refactoring.

Most excellent

5 minutes ago, noisybit said:

kerbalspace.agency looks amazing. Great job. My long range goal with Gameframer is to facilitate the creation of these kinds of archival views in any game by any player with minimal effort by the game developer. I've got a long way to go but I'm working on it.

Kudos. I've had some people look at or fork my Github repo for the Flight Tracker but haven't been able to put in much time to make it really usable by others w/o knowing a lot about web stuff. But I have at some points thought about truly creating a back-end and or import interface to make it more open to less technically-inclined folk. So many things, so little time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! Thanks for making this, its an incredibly good idea.

I have a question: is it possible for this to be used offline? I don't have the best internet at the best of times, and my upload speed is horrendous. Perhaps it can generate the .htmls in a local directory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a really excellent idea for a plugin, like the results of it so far, though it appears the gif functionality on the site is resulting in a 404 error, and a lot of the mission details seem to be pretty sparse, such as distance traveled, top speed, etc. Definitely be keeping my eyes on this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks awesome, I've been wanting something to archive and record my missions.  Thanks for taking the time to work on this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 18, 2015 at 6:32 AM, FanaticalFighter said:

Hey! Thanks for making this, its an incredibly good idea.

I have a question: is it possible for this to be used offline? I don't have the best internet at the best of times, and my upload speed is horrendous. Perhaps it can generate the .htmls in a local directory?

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

Right now there is some processing being done on the server, but I can add an option to dump locally and upload as it can instead of immedietely. You will be able to grab the data in JSON format and images from the dump directory. It's on the todo list now :).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM, JacobT11 said:

Seems like a really excellent idea for a plugin, like the results of it so far, though it appears the gif functionality on the site is resulting in a 404 error, and a lot of the mission details seem to be pretty sparse, such as distance traveled, top speed, etc. Definitely be keeping my eyes on this though.

Thanks! I'm traveling for the holidays but I believe I've identified the problem with the missing GIFs. I'll be able to fix it when I get home in a couple days. I will also clean up the database as there are a lot of old entries from the previous alpha versions that are incompatible with the current state of affairs.

As you noticed, what I'm actually displaying on the website is limited. There is more being captured but not displayed yet. I think the telemetry data will be fun to play with. I'm just fine tuning the amount to store since missions can last ten seconds or ten years.

I'd love to hear any requests or suggestions for items to display and capture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, noisybit said:

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

Right now there is some processing being done on the server, but I can add an option to dump locally and upload as it can instead of immedietely. You will be able to grab the data in JSON format and images from the dump directory. It's on the todo list now :).

That would be nice! I can rig up something in Python to make up some nice looking records from JSONs and images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you previously had a username on Gameframer, but no longer have the Gameframer configs, can you reclaim that username?

I figured it out--in the GameData\Gameframer\Plugins\PluginData\Gameframer\GFSettings.cfg, you can edit the username.

Edited by LitaAlto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, this is S0000000000000000 cool.   This will be a must have addon for me from now on.

That said some constructive criticism.

 If I ever need to reinstall I will lose my user name that is no good.
 Also not being able to pick a username is problematic.
it would be nice to be able to link to my KSP forum account in some way.
It would be nice to be able to make the videos larger, not higher resolution, just larger.

 

Thank You again so much for this even if you never improve it my life is better for what you have done.

Edited by mcirish3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude I totally think your mod is not getting enough attention.  You should add a facebook group for this mod it might help :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've been using this to make Mission logs for my career playthrough (shameless plug for the Mission Reports here) and I think this is great! Saves me so much time in post editing and lets me concentrate on flying the rocket instead of taking nice pictures.Thank you so much for making this, I think it has the potential to be a mod that I couldn't live without.

I have a couple questions though:

  1.  There are some missions that i couldn't edit the name and description when flying them and now it won't let me change at all. Which is a shame, because all the others are nicely tagged as per my naming scheme and a couple are just sv-11 etc. Trying to change these details on the Space Center view doesn't seem to help either. Is there another way to change these details? Maybe directly in the website?Or will there be such an option in the future?
  2. How does it work with docking? The mission log merges to the active vessel, just temporarily stops recording or something else entirely? I have a couple of missions coming that involve a lot of docking, and also plan on building a spaceport/fuel depot on LKO that will dock with lots of diferrent vessels in lots of different missions, so I'm wondering how Gameframer deals with that.
  3. Nope, that's it really! Once again, thank you for making this awesome tool!

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks absolutely awesome! Installed and will be documenting all of my successful vessels immediately. If the developer ever needs help with their website or server provisioning I would be more than happy to assist! This is such a freaking cool tool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there going to be some way to save the stats and information as a html? would love to be able to just post the stuff on my own page

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, I was looking for this exact kind of thing when I started playing.   Definitely going to use it on my new career game I started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for my recent absence here. I got sucked into some much needed infrastructure work that took longer than expected. The changes will enable me to add features faster and more reliably and it will allow support for more games in the future.

What's up next:

Mod

  • Video creation bug experienced by multiple users (no video, just gray screen)
  • Mission editing bug (chicobaptista)
  • Docking improvements
  • Feature requests, bug fixes

Website

  • Dedicated mission event page so you can bookmark them and embiggen the videos (mcirish3).
  • Proper login and accounts so you can retrieve passwords (LitaAlto, mcirish3), edit your data outside the mod (chicobaptista), and other website things.

I will also be checking here more frequently to provide quicker responses and support. Thanks again for the interest, feedback, and testing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2016 at 1:13 PM, chicobaptista said:

So, I've been using this to make Mission logs for my career playthrough (shameless plug for the Mission Reports here) and I think this is great! Saves me so much time in post editing and lets me concentrate on flying the rocket instead of taking nice pictures.Thank you so much for making this, I think it has the potential to be a mod that I couldn't live without.

I have a couple questions though:

  1.  There are some missions that i couldn't edit the name and description when flying them and now it won't let me change at all. Which is a shame, because all the others are nicely tagged as per my naming scheme and a couple are just sv-11 etc. Trying to change these details on the Space Center view doesn't seem to help either. Is there another way to change these details? Maybe directly in the website?Or will there be such an option in the future?
  2. How does it work with docking? The mission log merges to the active vessel, just temporarily stops recording or something else entirely? I have a couple of missions coming that involve a lot of docking, and also plan on building a spaceport/fuel depot on LKO that will dock with lots of diferrent vessels in lots of different missions, so I'm wondering how Gameframer deals with that.
  3. Nope, that's it really! Once again, thank you for making this awesome tool!

Cheers

  1. Mission editing bug, sorry about that. I'll look through the logs to see if I can figure it out. I'll definitely be adding editing via the website in the future.
  2. I spent a lot of time analyzing docking, and I never came to a satisfactory conclusion. I'll need to add some additional features to the mod for complex docking/undocking missions. I need to run some tests to double check the behavior but my hunch is the result will be new buttons that allow merging missions and creating a new mission from the current vessel. I'll be back with some details and questions for you regarding docking.
  3. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello noisybit,

Any possibility to incorporate the ribbon system from Final Frontier mod, for the crew members? Not sure how difficult that would be?

Also, any thought of starting a patreon? I certainly would jump onboard to be a patron.

Once again thank you for your efforts!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mod looks really interesting... Kudos on all the work on it so far... :)

I was just wondering though, how resource intensive this is?... Especially for heavily modded installs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2016 at 3:50 PM, beev20vtq said:

Hello noisybit,

Any possibility to incorporate the ribbon system from Final Frontier mod, for the crew members? Not sure how difficult that would be?

Also, any thought of starting a patreon? I certainly would jump onboard to be a patron.

Once again thank you for your efforts!!

Hi Stone Blue,

Final Frontier is an amazing mod. I think it would fit in well, good idea. I'll try to investigate how complicated that would be as I'm only superficially familiar with how FF works.

I haven't considered Patreon. Interesting idea... 

Thanks for checking Gameframer out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2016 at 4:16 PM, Stone Blue said:

This mod looks really interesting... Kudos on all the work on it so far... :)

I was just wondering though, how resource intensive this is?... Especially for heavily modded installs...

Thanks! :)

I don't think heavily modded installs will affect Gameframer performance. Vessel upload takes longer with more parts, but I haven't been able to stretch it more than one minute even with some crazy ones. Mission recording takes relatively low resolution screenshots (albeit a lot of them), synthesizes some JSON data, and uploads both. Neither of these should be mod dependent. Overall memory usage could become a problem with many mods, as is always the case. I should do some benchmarks to determine peak memory usage by Gameframer.

Having said all that, I haven't personally tested with more than 15-20 active mods. Please let me know if you test with more or see poor performance on your system. There is definitely room for optimization in the code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update on progress. I just posted version 0.6.1 (see above, with details on saving your username while upgrading). 

This is a small bug fix to stop blank video recording, recommended for everyone. Video recording is now disabled in map mode. If you are recording a timelapse and enter map mode, it will stop recording and ask you if you want to save. I think there is a solution to this, I just have to figure out how to keep the other cameras enabled while in map mode.

The mission webpage is now broken down into a timeline (all events) and a gallery (just those with GIFs). The GIFs are clickable to an event details page.

I'm working on website login/accounts in my test environment so hopefully that will be ready soon. I'm also continuing to look into the editing bug experienced by chicobaptista and research on docking/undocking and how it will affect mission recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds awesome!  

You should consider moving this to addon-releases.   It is an in-game addon, so I would think it should go there, this subforum seems to be more for web tools, etc.. 

Edited by eberkain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now